How Many More Planned DLCs Are Left?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

havenost

Captain
52 Badges
Dec 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Magicka 2
Hi everyone, I am just dropping in here from CK2, I know CK2 has like 1 major expansion left. But I am curious how many DLCs does EUIV have planned left after Mandate of Heaven?

Cause I am planning to get the game but I would like get all the DLCs that are expansions and the unit/content packs... basically everything that isn't the music/song packs and e-books. I would like to get all of the dlcs at once without having to buy them piece meal like I have been doing with CK2. Because its hard to figure which ones to buy and how to buy them... because Paradoxes weird DLC bundles for some of the expansions and their content packs, while some others don't have those bundles.

You could look at CK II--the first of the "modern" style of games with the current DLC/patch cycle--and try to extrapolate off of that...EU IV came out around 2 (?) years after CK II so assuming it remains supported exactly as long (a big assumption), then it'd be about another two years before it finally wraps up. At ~2-3 DLC per year, that'd be ~5-7.

But the actual answer is unknown at this point in time, probably even to Paradox. I'd advise getting it now if you want it rather than waiting, but that's just me. :)

You probably just want to hop on while they are on sale. There is no estimation aside from "if people keep buying, they'll keep developing" consider the fact that I believe EU4 is the most popular of the "Paradox 5" (aside from maybe Stellaris at this point), I would image we still have a few years and another 6-8 DLCs to go at the very least.
There are plenty of ideas floating around on the forum, so no shortage of those either.
Yes, plenty of life left in this game

Yeah its just so confusing on which ones to buy due to the fact that some of them have the collection bundle and some of them don't. I wish Paradox would update their CK2 and EUIV collection bundles since Steam now factors in whether or not you own certain parts of a bundle before you buy them, and they subtract the cost of the stuff you already own.

Because when you buy the DLC a la carte, they usually cost more than if you buy them bundled up. So even though both a bundle for the dlcs and the individual dlcs are both 75%, the base price of the bundle is usually cheaper. For instance you could have a bundle that cost $8, and when 75% off, it would be $2. While the a la carte price might be like a total of $12, so when 75% off its $3.

And considering the fact that steam doesn't show which dlcs are in a bundle until you click on them, it becomes really problematic considering the fact that EUIV has 20+ dlcs available, and it is hard to keep it straight.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on them putting out any bundles beyond what they already have where they bundle an expansion with its content pack for a small discount.

I don't expect EU4 will be 'finished' for at least another 3 years, and then it might well be a long time if ever before they put together some kind of complete bundle. As you are aware, Steam factor in already owned products in bundles so buying the expansions now won't prevent you from completing the set some time in the future if a bundle does come out.

This is their marquee franchise and they've been able to make such significant strides in each expansion. I would be very surprised if we did not have at least 2 more years of DLC support. Besides, they need their core Clausewitz people banged out a new Vicky base game, so they shouldn't be dabbling in EU5 anytime soon.

Just to give you an idea:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Current| Peak| Game
4,902| 14,181| Europa Universalis IV
4,496| 10,194| Crusader Kings II
3,715| 9,142| Hearts of Iron IV
3,167| 6,428| Stellaris

Be aware that Monks and mystics just released 3 days ago. More accurate numbers for CK2
http://steamcharts.com/app/203770

If you want the full picture.
EU4 monthly stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/236850
Stellaris monthly stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/281990
HOI4 monthly stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/394360

I have a feeling that EU4 is going to be supported for at least 3 years. That means that in the best case scenario we will see approximately 6-8 DLC's.

Your doubts are understandable, many of my friends want to play eu4 but are held back to buy the game due to fear of missing out. You can buy the most important DLC's or buy the oldest DLC's chronologically (they are dirt cheap in sales) and revert to a patch that matches your newest DLC.

EU4 was still a great game several patches ago and you can always upgrade on your own schedule without paying a premium.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am just dropping in here from CK2, I know CK2 has like 1 major expansion left. But I am curious how many DLCs does EUIV have planned left after Mandate of Heaven?

Both CK2 and EU4 have no limit on when we plan to end. As long as you play and buy, we'll keep making expansions.

Just to give you an idea:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Current| Peak| Game
4,902| 14,181| Europa Universalis IV
4,496| 10,194| Crusader Kings II
3,715| 9,142| Hearts of Iron IV
3,167| 6,428| Stellaris

Be aware that Monks and mystics just released 3 days ago. More accurate numbers for CK2
http://steamcharts.com/app/203770

If you want the full picture.
EU4 monthly stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/236850
Stellaris monthly stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/281990
HOI4 monthly stats: http://steamcharts.com/app/394360

I have a feeling that EU4 is going to be supported for at least 3 years. That means that in the best case scenario we will see approximately 6-8 DLC's.

Your doubts are understandable, many of my friends want to play eu4 but are held back to buy the game due to fear of missing out. You can buy the most important DLC's or buy the oldest DLC's chronologically (they are dirt cheap in sales) and revert to a patch that matches your newest DLC.

EU4 was still a great game several patches ago and you can always upgrade on your own schedule without paying a premium.
I personally believe that once Meiou and taxes 2.0 is released, EU4 will see it's playerbase explode. Meiou taxes is like the first experience of eu4 on sterioids. It will revolutionize the entire game. Crusader kings 2 is probably in the home strech, I guess we might see some chinese lag gig if we are lucky, but that would be a lot of work so I am not counting on too much, but as Johan said about, it all depends on how much people buy. EU4 with Meiou and taxes 2.0 might still receive dlcs, and actually receive more purchases, but that would depend on how compatible they are with Meiou and taxes, because that is what most harcore EU4 players will be using once it is released. I'll refrain from commenting stellaris, as I have not played it. Lastly on Hoi4, I don't believe they will be churning out as many dlcs as ck2 and eu4, atleast not while the current game needs to be fixed, and there are a lot of modders that have proved they can deliever interesting ideas to the table. Everything in TFV could frankly have been achieved by modders, as proved by the Swedish tiger and 1956 mods, so I doubt people will be too interested in seeing dlcs that override already perfectly working mods. They will probably be very specific. . .

M&T is a game for people who like what M&T does.

I don't like what M&T does.

... EU4 with Meiou and taxes 2.0 might still receive dlcs, and actually receive more purchases, but that would depend on how compatible they are with Meiou and taxes, because that is what most harcore EU4 players will be using once it is released ...
Yeah... 'cause that's how it works.
Obviously, its great that the modding community can enjoy this game to their heart's content, but I do think you got the dependencies here a bit mixed up :/

M&T is a game for people who like what M&T does.
I always wanted to quote the post - in its original phrasing - as a counter-point for the above, but couldn't trace it.
Maybe if you'll leave it in your signature I could use it from time to time ;)

I always wanted to quote the post - in its original phrasing - as a counter-point for the above, but couldn't trace it.
Maybe if you'll leave it in your signature I could use it from time to time ;)
I believe you mean this one?

Both CK2 and EU4 have no limit on when we plan to end. As long as you play and buy, we'll keep making expansions.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! #LongLiveCK2

I personally believe that once Meiou and taxes 2.0 is released, EU4 will see it's playerbase explode. Meiou taxes is like the first experience of eu4 on sterioids. It will revolutionize the entire game..

That would be an enormous growth indeed from 0.7% of the current playerbase (which is a huge active group), to make the playerbase explode.

I definitely look forward to that!