• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cities: Skylines Mass Transit expansion was announced last week! Emmi and I were in San Francisco showing a demo of it to the press. The reception was very positive from them and, more importantly, it seems the announcement was well received by the community! That always makes me happy since this expansion especially was very much inspired by the feedback we have gotten from you guys :)

There will be again a paid expansion part with new content and a free update that, for example allows you to name roads. I know, finally! Yes, there's also other (less important) things, but we'll get to all of that later.

But why did we decide to work on a mass transit expansion now? We implemented the trams with Snowfall as it was widely requested feature, however later the feedback was that some people would have wanted only the trams and bunch of other methods of transportation. Ferries, especially after the addition of canals, was among the most requested ones. The internal working title for Mass Transit was "Boats and Roads" since the original idea was to focus solely on the ferries and addition of different road types, bridges and tweaks to the road building. However together with Paradox we decided to expand the scope due to the popular demand of the monorail and came up with two more transportation types that would fit the expansion.

Therefore the expansion really became a mini-Cities in Motion - back to the roots almost. There won't be as much micromanagement as there is in our previous games, but all in all the idea is to deepen the mass transit options in the expansion and the road enhancement tools will bring more control to building the road network in the free update. In all it's nerdiness this is really why we make games to begin with :)

This week, jetlagged and most of the team sick, we have continued to work on the smaller features which are not yet implemented for Mass Transit. The main features are there and we'll be writing bi-weekly development diaries to give you more information starting next week!

Cheers,
Mariina

bi-weekly? does that mean twice a week, or every two weeks?

Bi-weekly means occurring once every two weeks. We might make them weekly closer to the release, but we'll see how much there is to say and it very much depends on the actual release date :)

Biweekly actually means both. In this case you'll have fortnightly dev diaries.
Shame :(

EDIT: Still happy for the DLC. Need some vacation from Crusader Kings.

I see what you were going for,

Boats and Roads, Boats and Roads, I gotta have me them Boats and Roads.

But on a serious note, toll booths, I have no idea if it's in the works or a plan or on the radar at all, but toll booths for highways would be a fantastic addition.

Would be even cooler if traffic numbers directly related to the profitability.

Just sayin.... Totally a good idea.... I'd even let you take credit...

the ability to name roads Steve is free, possibly some other small things as well (probably a rail to bus/metro hub). but it's unlikely any of the additional modes of transport will be free

Every public transport line diffrent budjet?
like bus line 1 59%. Line 2 77%

I do hope that individual lines are controllable, but personally I hope not in "budget" percentages. I'd prefer:
BUS LINE 1: 5 buses
BUS LINE 2: 8 buses
METRO LINE 1: 3 metro trains
METRO LINE 2: 5 metro trains
and so on...
It can then show the cost changing as you do it.

a free update that, for example allows you to name roads. I know, finally! Yes, there's also other (less important) things

I'm trying hard to think of other things less important than the ability to name roads. :)
(I think it is nice to be able to do so, even happy to see it added, but it's just not very high on my personal list.)

Hoping MT will bump AD down to my second fav DLC. :D

I do hope that individual lines are controllable, but personally I hope not in "budget" percentages. I'd prefer:
BUS LINE 1: 5 buses
BUS LINE 2: 8 buses
METRO LINE 1: 3 metro trains
METRO LINE 2: 5 metro trains
and so on...
It can then show the cost changing as you do it.

This is better solution than my :)

Bi-weekly means occurring once every two weeks. We might make them weekly closer to the release, but we'll see how much there is to say and it very much depends on the actual release date :)
so every two weeks one dev diary - starting next week...
... quite a long time to wait! but hey, we will do that patiently.

Not clear to me which features are part of the free update and which features are part of the optional paid update.

Generally it seems like game mechanics type stuff end up in the free patch. Probably because it makes it easier for the developer to maintain/work with if everyone has it. Still nice, there has been some good free stuff.
Like the Day/Night cycle from "After Dark".
The free "Match Day" simplified things for the "Stadiums" DLC.
Weather/rain/fog for the "Snowfall" DLC.

Stuff like new buildings and vehicles tend to be non-free. (Exception: Match Day added the pre-order parks "Bouncy Castle Park" and "Carousel Park".)

If you look at past patches to see the "free" stuff vs non-free stuff, it might give you a little insight into the future.
After Dark: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Patch_1.2.0
Snowfall: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Patch_1.3.0-f4
Match Day: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Patch_1.5.0-f4
Natural Disasters: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Patch_1.6.0

All patches listed here:
http://www.skylineswiki.com/Cities:_Skylines_Wiki

Last edited:
Really anticipating the new road types, ferries, cable cars and trainstations. Airships and Monorails are a nice gimmick, but nothing I would use in a (realistic) city.

Last edited:
hey even know i said this before but before you release citie skyline mass transit can you add these two feature in game
road%20types%20for%20citie%20skyline_zpsusgrok6n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• road types for citie skyline.jpg
    road types for citie skyline.jpg
    31,2 KB · Views: 338