Earn the Dragon Throne in Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just know at least somebody at paradox must have been giggling as the prior dev diaries for things like the ages and splendor were coming out, and there were some (not-unreasonable) comments along the lines of "ugh, more eurocentrism? ROTW when?" Only for them to now get to announce, "SIKE! It was the east Asia overhaul the WHOLE TIME"

Too few women as loading screens.
That would be a poor reason; loading screens should be based on importance and representativity---not be subjected to gender quotas.

I don't think that's the reason though, since so far we've seen no sign of them trying to balance the genders. And there have been plenty of times in the past where they easily could have chosen females. Most recently in the 1.19 patch where instead of Christian IV they could have used Margrethe I, who was the one establishing the Kalmar Union (yes she's slightly outside the time frame, but I don't think that'd matter too much).

Looks like a mighty tasty expansion - making what is imo the most polished of Paradox's current stable even shinier :). Next few months are going to require some careful time management to get in this, Monks and Mystics and Utopia - my kind of problem :D.

That would be a poor reason; loading screens should be based on importance and representativity---not be subjected to gender quotas.

I don't think that's the reason though, since so far we've seen no sign of them trying to balance the genders. And there have been plenty of times in the past where they easily could have chosen females. Most recently in the 1.19 patch where instead of Christian IV they could have used Margrethe I, who was the one establishing the Kalmar Union (yes she's slightly outside the time frame, but I don't think that'd matter too much).

It's not always based purely on 'who was the best' and it's always debatable whom they pick. For France they picked Louis XIV (who granted was one of the greatest monarchs in European history) rather than the world shattering Napoleon who also fitted the time-frame and is arguably more recognizable, or Robespierre who has had more of an influence on modern republican France (could have even contrasted with the classical monarch portraits). There doesn't seem to be a governing law over who they pick. Maybe aesthetics over importance ? A running theme in the portraits we've missed ? It's probably just random and arbitrary.

Still wish we could purchase before the date, now I need to look out for Stellaris, CK2 and EU IV, sick of having to look back on every one of them just to make sure I remember the date right and I don't miss them. Still excited for it.

Seriously, since this is an expansion about East Asia, I think it's time that Paradox think about using UTF-8 instead of stupid Microsoft-1252 for character coding

I am delighted to see the East Asian Overhaul DLC is coming soon, I can't wait it. While to my honest, I do not think Dowager Xiaozhuang or any female should be the chosen character of this dlc.
In my opinion, I would like to recommand these rulers to be the chosen character :

1, Zhu Yuanzhang/ Zhu Di ( Zhu Yuanzhang can be a 999 ruler in EU4, Zhu Di can be a 235 ruler. While they both are not alive in 1444AD.)
2, Hong Taiji( The real founder of Qing Dynasty.)
3, Yongzheng ( he should be called as the greatest emperor after Zhu Yuanzhang for his historical contribution in Institutional innovation.)

For Qing inherited the institution of Ming's founded by Zhu Yuanzhang, I believe Zhu Yuanzhang should be a background character of Yongzheng or Hong Taiji, regardless whoever earned the Emperor Throne, the institution of Central Empire would follow the old one founded by Zhu Yuanzhang.

I am not sure if the Mandate of Heaven has been incorporated well here, as according to Wikipedia the Mandate of Heaven, was in China, so I am not sure why Japan, or such as that of Dai Viet, would be able to take it from China, as they simply had different beliefs than the Chinese, and I highly doubt the Chinese would like a emperor thst is not Chinese. Often times the Chinese themselves would overthrow their emperor, and install a new one, whom was more "just" than the last dynasty, whom had lost the Mandate of Heaven. Through yes, I know the feature gives something to Far East Asia, but still, I don't think it is depicted as very well, from what I have seen so far in screenshots. Perhaps make it so a certain part of your population has to be from the Chinese culture, with their religion as well, in order to claim the Mandate of Heaven, as then it would very well make much more sense, than the DLC's current state, as I see it.

Last edited:
Gib renders pls.

I know it's already been addressed that it's not coming until later, but since the models are frankly what I'm most hyped for I can't resist hoping we'll get them sooner rather than later.

I am not sure if the Mandate of Heaven has been incorporated well here, as according to Wikipedia the Mandate of Heaven, was in China, so I am not sure why Japan, or such as that of Dai Viet, would be able to take it from China, as they simply had different beliefs than the Chinese, and I highly doubt the Chinese would like a emperor thst is not Chinese. Often times the Chinese themselves would overthrow their emperor, and install a new one, whom was more "just" than the last dynasty, whom had lost the Mandate of Heaven. Through yes, I know the feature gives something to Far East Asia, but still, I don't think it is depicted as very well, from what I have seen so far in screenshots. Perhaps make it so a certain part of your population has to be from the Chinese culture, with their religion as well, in order to claim the Mandate of Heaven, as then it would very well make much more sense, than the DLC's current state, as I see it.

Conquest dynasties are an accepted part of the traditional Chinese historiography though. Both the Yuan and indeed the Qing were outsiders who conquered China and claimed the Mandate. Before them the Jurchens and the Khitan did the same thing. During the late 1500s Japan launched an invasion of Korea which was meant as a launching point to conquer China. If they had come at a more opportune time, like the Manchus, perhaps they could have succeeded.