• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello again, everyone! Doomdark was going to tell you more about Societies this week, but he’s locked in the dungeon too busy, so I have seized power taken on this duty. So let’s talk about Monks.

In Monks and Mystics, we have added 8 Monastic Order Societies. There are two Catholic orders, the Benedictines and the Dominicans, while the Orthodox, Miaphysites, Nestorians, Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains each have their own order. Now, while actual Monks and Priests can of course join these Societies and are likely to advance more quickly through the ranks, it’s quite possible for secular characters to join these orders as lay members / patrons and reach the highest ranks.
monk pic 1.jpg

Life in the Monastic orders is focused on learning, piety, and good deeds. Typically members will be expected to use the Theology focus (if you have the Way of Life expansion), perform Charity, help build new Temples, go on Pilgrimages, and engage in prayer or meditation.
monk pic 2.jpg

Time spent in self-reflection does have its upsides though; through these acts characters will tend to better themselves, losing negative traits like vices and gaining more godly virtues. Not to mention that time spent reading and then debating the meaning of books is helpful in increasing Learning and Diplomacy skills. At the highest levels, members can also counsel other characters in their realm, to encourage them to end their sinful ways.

Dominicans: Religious province conversion significantly faster, and a bonus to the “Hunt Heretics” counciler job.
Benedictines: Can get rid of “Slothful” and gain “Diligent” by donating money.
Hindus: Higher Fertility and Health.
Buddhists: revolt risk reduction.
Jains: opinion bonus with other Jains.
Miaphysites, Orthodox and Nestorians: More income from Temple vassals.
All: Chance of losing many negative traits and gaining positive ones over time.

monk pic 3.jpg

new dharmic pilgrimage chain

That's all for now, and indeed that'll all the DDs for this year as we'll be on holiday for the next couple of weeks! But we'll be back on the 9th of January to talk about more Societies. And if you need to hear more about MnM, I believe we'll be showing some gameplay in our Three Kings stream in under an hour (1700 CET)
Here's a link to the Youtube of the stream:

Last edited:
Reactions:
I hope these are well fleshed out, it would be nice to have added flavor for once to religions which goes deep. Also still no word on whether we can become monks or priests or whatever. I mean, I'm doubting it considering it hasn't been mentioned, but I can still hope

Reactions:
New portraits?

Reactions:
Weren't the dominicans founded in the 13th century? It would be odd to see dominicans in the 9th century. Is there a formation event for new societies or can new societies even be formed through events?

Reactions:
Damn, those portraits look good. What are those? New western european ones?

How do you choose between those two Catholic orders?

Reactions:
I didn't even notice the portraits honestly. Hopefully it means less neckbeards and caterpillar mustaches

Reactions:
I take it those are Iberian portraits. Could be wrong...
Skin tone is lighter though.
I don't want to get hyped if it's not new! :D

Last edited:
Reactions:
NEW PORTRAITS!
No names though, only the coat of arms... does anyone recognize that CoA so that we can pinpoint where the new portraits apply?

We've seen the vanilla portraits being used in other Dev Diaries, so I don't think it's revemped Western Euros.

I initially thought we'd see Berbers, now I'm really not sure...

I take it those are Iberian portraits. Could be wrong...
Skin tone is lighter though.
I don't want to get hyped if it's not new! :D
Perhaps they are italians? The dude in the picture is the duke of Apulia.

Reactions:
No Franciscans?o_O What a shame:(

That would not be fun, tool-tip would say something like: "By joining Franciscan order you abdicate as a ruler and give away all your wealth to the poor." Like suicide, but your heir does not inherit any money.

Reactions:
That would not be fun, tool-tip would say something like: "By joining Franciscan order you abdicate as a ruler and give away all your wealth to the poor." Like suicide, but your heir does not inherit any money.
Could be a valid decision in dire circumstances though.

Reactions: