HOI4 Dev Diary - Cosmetic tags, art, gameplay and AI

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@podcat Has a decision been made regarding the Blitz-button being DLC or patch, following popular response?

I want to know, because I want to preorder this sooo badly, but I can't in good conscience do so until I know how this went :D
It's now known as 'Spearhead' and has been advertised as a paid feature on the promotional material for TfV, so it looks like you're gonna have to pay for it.

Reactions:
That's amazing! One extra thing that would be cool is if certain countries could change colour upon changing governments. I'd love for non-communist Russia to return to its dark green. I know it was possible back in Victoria II, would it be possible in this one?
Yes and no.. not for release, but some time in the future you should be able to go:
Code:
effect somewhere:
set_cosmetic_tag = DANSKE_KOMMUNISTER

countries.txt:
DANSKE_KOMMUNISTER = {
    color = rgb { 255 0 0 }
    color_ui = rgb { 255 10 10 }  
}
And watch the beautiful red blob create a new Kalmar union.

Reactions:
Will it be there No mans land in the Sahara desert and in the Himalayas, cuz it funny how Italians have to fight agints the French in the middel of the desert.

Reactions:
Nice! But where is Egypt? They should exist even being an integrated puppet is okay as it will add extra troops to Britain arsenal in Africa. Also make the AI so they will try to avoid areas with low infrastructure and take the ones with higher ones first. This will simulate the north Africa campaign without it being the whole Africa campaign in a matter of months and still gives you a reason to position troops in Africa. This should also apply to China, Rural India, Northern Canada, Amazon Jungle, Mountain Ranges and Soviet Siberia.

I'd like to see Egypt in the game, but integrated puppet wouldn't reflect its actual status. Its the lower form of autonomy before diplomatic annexion, and Egypt was almost in independent nation at the time.

Reactions:
Does that air superiority from land AA apply multiplicatively or additively? If additive, does it get applied after or before multiplicative bonuses? For example, if I have 40% air superiority reduction and the enemy has +50% air support bonus, is the effect of air support 45%, 35% or 15%?

Question about the new tags: are they intended to be the solution to "formable" nations/tag-switching? I.e. can cosmetic tags be tied to ownership of states? So If one of the Scandinavian countries "owns" all the land of NOR, SWE, DEN an event could fire that gives them the cosmetic tag of KAL?

Can events/focuses be locked behind ownership of a cosmetic tag (I'm guessing not, given they are only "cosmetic" tags)? For example, could there be focuses locked behind the "must have KAL tag" before they can be activated?

@podcat, does New Zealand get a new infantry unit model? I noticed in the live stream they didn't appear to have one. The new ones you have are Vonboe's models, and he did make a New Zealand one too.

Will they do the Haka when excercizing?

Reactions:
Can events/focuses be locked behind ownership of a cosmetic tag (I'm guessing not, given they are only "cosmetic" tags)? For example, could there be focuses locked behind the "must have KAL tag" before they can be activated?
Even if you can't use a cosmetic tag as a trigger, you could achieve the same result by having a system flag as a trigger; that flag could be generated by the event that adds the cosmetic tag. So short answer: yes, I think so. :)

This is basically how leader events have to work right now, but @Havebeard has now added specific triggers for those as well.

Reactions:
Does this mean that the abominable "Vichy France" name won't appear if France is not a German puppet?

Reactions:
Does that air superiority from land AA apply multiplicatively or additively? If additive, does it get applied after or before multiplicative bonuses? For example, if I have 40% air superiority reduction and the enemy has +50% air support bonus, is the effect of air support 45%, 35% or 15%?

additive. so if enemy is applying a -40% attack penalty to you and your AA is at a level where it gives +20 the end result is: 20-40 = -20 (it also cant go positive ;)

Reactions:
Even if you can't use a cosmetic tag as a trigger, you could achieve the same result by having a system flag as a trigger; that flag could be generated by the event that adds the cosmetic tag. So short answer: yes, I think so. :)

This is basically how leader events have to work right now, but @Havebeard has now added specific triggers for those as well.
If there is no trigger for it I can add one to avoid flag dealing with flags where they are not needed.

Reactions:
Do you plan to release a beta version of Torch before the official release of 1.3 + TfV ? If not, why ?

Reactions:
This would indeed be possible and not too difficult to mod. (I can make no promise as to wether or not it will happen in a future patch though)
Just to check if I get it right: you couldn't have that "other fascist France" and Vichy France at the same time, could you?

As far as game mechanics are concerned, there are only three possible France (four if you count Non-Aligned), and Other Fascist France would quite literally be Vichy France by an other name (and flag). Correct?

I'll let you guys see if you can identify all the vehicles :)

The wheeled/half-track truck in the middle sure does look like the inspiration for the Batman vehicle.
I would love to see these rather than humvees today. It just looks menacing, nasty and packed full of pain.

WTG team Podcat! Great News!