• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Cabinet))

Not even an attempt to justify this war? Is everyone fine with causing the deaths of thousands of men for no reason? For a war that can definitely destroy the balance of power, has the potential to cause a devastating Pan-European war in the future? I demand an explanation! Why Hispania can't enjoy some years of peace and prosperity! Or better yet, an end to that endless death and destruction, an enforced peace in the empire!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

In the Parliament, Faixòn once again addressed the appointed members.
"Assemblymen, many of you deserve this 'title'. Yet those among us who aren't hypocrites or who view the Assembly with enmity cannot take your word seriously. Cannot cooperate with these alien elements. A relic of the past that is founded merely on the need of the victors of the civil war to cling on to power. Few of you are from this past era. Yet you have the same purpose. Ask yourself: Am I truly an Assemblyman? A man providing the Crown with advice - or saying what the Crown, the Council wants to hear, as they are the ones who appointed you? How can you have an own opinion, provide the discussion the Assembly encourages if you will be replaced when you make the wrong decision? Just the same as a non-independent judge, you won't. Advice is not always what a man wants to hear, or he wouldn't need any. We can achieve great compromises in the Assembly. But for this purpose, all must be responsible only to their electors. The appointment is the inherent enemy of the election, of the character of the Assembly itself! Independence will therefore always be the goal of any conscious Assemblyman. This piece of legislation offers you help in the transition. There is no reason to try to delay, to stop the inevitable, other than to provoke a reaction. For the good of Hispania, we should work together. And that is impossible as long as we are entirely different."
He then looks over to the Imperials.
"Let it go permanently. What an interesting idea. Why don't we do that... Oh, right. It would go against your ideal of ruling through mere military strength, and the subjugation of everything alive or, as it so often happens after a war, not so alive. Transdacia is separated from the rest of the empire, and its administration can be far more effective as its own realm. In a way, it is similar to the colonies. And, at least for former Wallachia, there isn't merely a sea of ruins and corpses to rule over."

((
Judicial System Reform Act: No
Independence of Jurisdiction Act: Yes
Ministry of Religious Affairs Representation Act: Yes
Secularization of the Land Act: Yes
Parliamentary Quorum Act: Yes
Appointment Replacement Act: Yes
Local Elections of Governors Act: Yes
Embassy Act: Yes
Protection of Embassies Act: No
Transdacian Establishment Act: Yes
Special Operation Forces Act: Abstain
Amendment to the Special Operations Forces Act: Abstain
Marine Corps Act: Abstain
Specialized Services Act: Abstain
Naval Reform of 1793: Yes

Mission: Abstain

[Facció del Fénix]
))

((Cool. I would expect collaboration on the party position anyways. Will be interesting to see what you can contribute.))

((Cabinet))

I don't remember being made accountable to you Faixon. You cannot demand anything of me and shall not receive it. You seem to be making the mistake of Arceo, who seemed to be more concerned with the actions of the other Ministries rather than his own, at least you are not as idle is him.

((Cabinet))

I don't remember being made accountable to you Faixon. You cannot demand anything of me and shall not receive it. You seem to be making the mistake of Arceo, who seemed to be more concerned with the actions of the other Ministries rather than his own, at least you are not as idle is him.

((Cabinet))

You are accountable to the people of Hispania and its emperor. My demands are not to satisfy some personal urge, unlike other ministers are handling their offices. And as there will be a repercussion on the people of Hispania, there needs to be a very good reason, one you aren't giving for you are apparently unable to give one. And then you go on to disrespect a dead man for 'his mistake' that never cost him anything. Or did he pay for 'this mistake'? And a person like you is Minister of Foreign Affairs? It's a miracle enemy troops aren't feasting in this very same spot right now!

((Private - Cabinet))

JpsioAG.png

While the Empress Dowager may be a bit overzealous at times when it comes to war, I must concur with her that war with Austria may be needed. I admit that perhaps I am a tad biased. The Austrians personally wronged me, threatening my life and my throne by siding with the Phoenixes during the Civil War. There was also the jilting of my dear sister, who was cast aside by the Archduke when the marriage proved inconvenient.

Putting those aside, we must look at the facts as they are. While we were allied with Austria, we enjoyed great security in the Mediterranean, for the entire coastline was controlled by either us or a friendly power. That is no longer the case. Some might argue that the portion they control is insignificant, yet whenever we have entered a conflict with Austria, they have used their fleet to harass our trade fleets before our armada can arrive. The only way to truly ensure safe passage in the Mediterranean is to remove their coastline.

There is also the added benefit that this would provide a land connection to Byzantium. With such a large army, it proves difficult to quickly transport our troops around where necessary. This small passage of land would ensure that troops in Italy and even Iberia could deploy to Greece, Romania, Anatolia, or really anywhere along the Mediterranean without having to rely on transports. While using our navy is the quicker and less costly option, having that other option open provides us with alternatives if the situation gets dire. The last thing we need are armies trapped somewhere because the navy can no longer reach them and they don't have a route home.

More recently, the issue of the Holy Roman Empire has arisen. While we have tolerated its existence as a counterbalance to German influence, especially in regards to Bavaria, as of late the Austrians have used it for their own personal agenda. Multiple times they have riled up people living in former imperial lands within Hispania, trying to stir up a revolt, and tried to sabotage our relations with Bavaria. The Archduke has tried to use his title as Holy Roman Emperor to demand the return of imperial lands. It is nothing but a pathetic attempt to reclaim power through a faint veil of legitimacy. It is in my opinion that this vanity project must stop and we must bring an end to the Holy Roman Empire, otherwise the Austrians will continue to use it whatever way they can against us.

A weak Austria also benefits Bavaria as they won't have such a big threat on their border. We have pledged to protect them, but the reality of the situation is that Austria can mobilize troops into their lands before we can get men up there. We have already seen it once before. Bavaria has made claim to several provinces in Austria, and indulging them may well make them more capable of fending off any invasion in the future, at least until our armies arrive.

As you can see, there are several legitimate reasons to pursue this war. I hope that at least one proves satisfactory to the Cabinet.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

((Cool. I would expect collaboration on the party position anyways. Will be interesting to see what you can contribute.))

((Cabinet))

((Cabinet))

"There is no harm in a second opinion - particularly when the oversight provided by that opinion prevents an individual from assuming such power over their jurisdiction that they might begin to rival the powers of His Majesty, himself."

(I'll give you the rundown: Phoenix War, Camponistas vs God-allied Imperials, Dirty Phoenixes :mad: rise; heroic :cool: Archbishop Velazquez/Pope Xystus II save Hispania with Empress and General Leon, Leon and Velazquez die:(, vultures are attacking, enemies on all side, Devil incarnate in Faixon; also, the Illuminati. ;) :D ))

((Cabinet))
"So many of us", he paused meaningfully, looking up to the ceiling, "seem to be so unwilling to take suggestions, or say anything, without veiled insults and hyperbole. Unfortunate state of affairs, unfortunate indeed...I suppose some people are drawn to it, and we have used it so much to gain influence in the Parliament that we simply can never stop and be civil for once." he sighed, "Regardless, my plan for the Ministry of Religious Affairs is to spread the CJC wherever it may not be prevalent as of yet, in a manner more peaceful than I ever find Parliament to be, as it has been done for decades."
((Convert quickest provinces, usual EU4-style.))

Reactions:
(I'll give you the rundown: Phoenix War, Camponistas vs God-allied Imperials, Dirty Phoenixes :mad: rise; heroic :cool: Archbishop Velazquez/Pope Xystus II save Hispania with Empress and General Leon, Leon and Velazquez die:(, vultures are attacking, enemies on all side, Devil incarnate in Faixon; also, the Illuminati. ;) :D ))

((That history sounds a tad biased. :p Clearly everyone has interpreted events differently over the decades. Here's Emperor Alfons's interpretation:

Emperor Jaume IV died, trusted minister Montségur tried to kidnap him on his first day as emperor to force a constitution despite the fact Alfons actually wanted a constitution (not that he had a chance to express that), spent the next few years running for his life, allies won the civil war and he rose to the throne, privately vowed never to adopt a constitution so madmen like Montségur couldn't steal his power and use it for nefarious purposes, created a Parliament to create a more representative government like he wanted but with the royal prerogative intact, spent the next few decades madly putting forth laws to keep the new system intact, fired his own mother as Prime Minister to prevent a dramatic shift to the right that might have sparked another civil war or a permanent split in Parliament, forced together vastly different members of Parliament in the Cabinet to achieve a shaky balance between the right and left, sired a simple-minded son as heir, and now prays to live a long healthy life because he fears that the whole system will collapse once he dies. There was also a bunch of wars and other smaller things, but those are usually covered by the updates.

Writing all that up reminds of how fond I am of this emperor. Might be my favourite, although I will always have a special place in my heart for Ferran II the Fabulous. :D))

((@Michaelangelo always Ferran II the Fabulous, or Pere V/Pere I as our first Emperor- they shall always win
in another note, I apologise that my house has kinda gone out on a wimper, def. not because of you mike, I love you as a GM and my fake/real partner :p in the IRC, and I only wish I could be bothered to put enough effort in to put forward some quality character updates, but I just can't be :( , all the best Mike and will trundle along for as long as I can, all the best))

((@Michaelangelo always Ferran II the Fabulous, or Pere V/Pere I as our first Emperor- they shall always win
in another note, I apologise that my house has kinda gone out on a wimper, def. not because of you mike, I love you as a GM and my fake/real partner :p in the IRC, and I only wish I could be bothered to put enough effort in to put forward some quality character updates, but I just can't be :( , all the best Mike and will trundle along for as long as I can, all the best))

((Ah, Pere V is also right up near the top, although he's a more tragic figure. I feel like Alfons is very similar to him, in that both had very tragic events that ended up defining them. Pere had the abduction of his bastard children and Alfons had the civil war. I suppose though they differ in outlook, since Pere became bitter and cynical, while Alfons became more passionate. I mean if Pere had been in power when the minorities, specifically the Italians, started getting vocal about certain laws, they might have gone the way of the Catalans. :p

And no problem about not posting much. I understand people have lives. I'm not around all the time either. You'll jump right back in when you're ready. :)))

((Cabinet))

"These are reasons that make sense. The control of the coastline can remove any further conflict points. While I would prefer there to be negotiations instead of a war, the chance that any negotiation would lead to the alienation of every human being outside of Hispania is great with a furious warmonger at the head of the diplomacy. Thankfully we have a wise emperor who takes every advice with the necessary grain of salt." Faixòn bows slightly to Alfons. "And yet again I have to insist on the purpose of a Parliament, a purpose that isn't that different from the Cabinet, which would be to discuss problems and solutions to find the best one. Hardly possible if there is no explanation." He shrugs. Then he turns to Lagos. "Taking suggestions, you say? What has been suggested here, other than the basic barbarian call: 'Kill'? Truly an unfortunate state of affairs if people can only express pre-civilized opinions. You know, you resumed my opinion concerning Catholic clergy as being henchmen of the Pope. I will rather keep my new evaluation of your person for myself."

((Three can play that game. Other side of events: Empire is antiquated.:oops: Marshal Montségur seizes opportunity of regency to attempt a forced reform. Lacking support of the navy and bad luck cause Imperial victory. These (wo)men then seize full control of the empire while pretending to reform it, while Montségur constructs a functioning, modern, great power state of Germany out of squabbling German HRE-princes. Ever since, political factions are opposing the ruling clique, seeking true reforms, continuously gaining support over the last elections.:) Campos representing more moderated reformers, Fénix standing for radical reforms - which is why Faixòn's the elites' natural enemy. The true antichist is the Dowager Empress and her clergy lapdog, willing to leave millions of corpses in their wake as long as they hold on to their power. :mad:))

Reactions:
((Cabinet))
Then he turns to Lagos. "Taking suggestions, you say? What has been suggested here, other than the basic barbarian call: 'Kill'? Truly an unfortunate state of affairs if people can only express pre-civilized opinions. You know, you resumed my opinion concerning Catholic clergy as being henchmen of the Pope. I will rather keep my new evaluation of your person for myself."
((Faixon gave the suggestion, and Empress responded negatively in a most impolite way. The mini-harangue was supposed to be aimed at Empress, but I guess misunderstandings also happen in real politics. ;) ))

((Faixon gave the suggestion, and Empress responded negatively in a most impolite way. The mini-harangue was supposed to be aimed at Empress, but I guess misunderstandings also happen in real politics. ;) ))
((Guess Faixòn is too used to argue with the Archbishop and has already placed him clearly in her camp. :p))

((Everyone seems to be forgetting the part where Faixon, a commoner, DEMANDED something from Sophia, born a noble and made a royal by marriage. Like it or not, we still have classes and a commoner demanding anything of a royal is quite impolite within itself. Such a thing has gotten people executed before. And that is not taking into consideration Faixon's violation of the Op Sec Act, Mike's GM fiat simply said Alfons didn't hear of it, not that it didn't occur and his actions can't be explained away as a omission. So we have a known traitor making demands of an Empress, what do you think should happen?))

((Everyone seems to be forgetting the part where Faixon, a commoner, DEMANDED something from Sophia, born a noble and made a royal by marriage. Like it or not, we still have classes and a commoner demanding anything of a royal is quite impolite within itself. Such a thing has gotten people executed before. And that is not taking into consideration Faixon's violation of the Op Sec Act, Mike's GM fiat simply said Alfons didn't hear of it, not that it didn't occur and his actions can't be explained away as a omission. So we have a known traitor making demands of an Empress, what do you think should happen?))

((She's a woman, though.))