HOI4 Dev Diary - New Zealand & Combat Log

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone! With the team now back from a few days on Malta (where we learned, among other things, that limestone walls trumps radar for warning about incoming italian bombers), we are back at full steam and have another dev diary for you talking about stuff coming in Together for Victory and the free 1.3 patch. First up is the new focus tree for New Zealand:

New Zealand

In 1936, the First Labor Government had just taken power in New Zealand, the smallest of the commonwealth dominions. This new government introduced a number of social reforms and created what would become the world's first modern welfare state. In practical terms, this gives you a much needed boost to your available manpower and provides more workforce for your factories, represented by a reduction in consumer goods required.

View attachment 220319

With a very small industry, you'll have to work hard to expand your production capabilities. Fortunately, unique resources in the form of natural gas, oil and iron rich sands are available for you to exploit. Several industrial initiatives are also available to you and lucrative technology sharing focuses will give you a valuable advantage if you remain loyal to the commonwealth.

If you choose to abandon Great Britain to it's fate however, there are three options for you. You could side with the Japanese as they are your biggest threat, or you could embrace the global revolution and form closer ties with the Soviet Union. The last option available is to establish a true independent New Zealand and take your own path. Perhaps by taking Australia on the way.

View attachment 220308
Some of the new leaders & portraits for new zealand

When working on the New Zealand tree, we wanted to include some important historical developments. The formation of the Royal New Zealand Navy and Air Force were important for the country's ability to defend itself. To aid you, two light cruisers and a number of aircraft will be transferred to the newly formed services.

The Charlton Automatic Rifle, although historically never deployed, was a modification of the Lee Enfield rifles for automatic fire. This was just one of many efforts to make do with what limited resources they had at hand.

Another such effort, perhaps not quite as successful, was the development of the Bob Semple "tank". This indigenous armored fighting vehicle was constructed from a tractor chassis, armed with no less than six Bren machine guns and was armored with corrugated metal plating. It was believed to be bulletproof.
View attachment 220320

Combat Log
You might have spotted changes to the theater interface in earlier screenshots, and now is the time to explain whats up!
View attachment 220321
First of all there are two new indicators on the right. These show you how many active defensive and offensive combats are going, and if any of them are having problems. Its a good way of noticing if there are changes to the status of a front at a glance. Next to them is a button that opens up a brand new interface: The combat log.

View attachment 220322

This new feature gives you access to history over combats for the selected command groups in the theater. Summarizing losses to combat damage, attrition, any combat modifiers that were present and breakdown on losses to air. The idea is for you to be able to analyze the situation after the combat is over. This part will be available for everyone as part of the free 1.3 "Torch" Patch. For people who get Together For Victory there are also two more tabs available letting you dig into lists of equipment losses for you and enemies and check out performance of division templates involved in the fighting.

View attachment 220323

Thats it for today, next week I'll be inviting @Jazzhole and @Metal King over to talk about awesome new music and sound.
Also don't forget to tune in for today’s World War Wednesday Livestream and find out if who of the Allies and Axis will be able to tip the balance in the war in Europe! Watch it live @16:00CET over at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive!

As usual nice update. I look forward to the DLC. Don't sweat the angst that some are simply unwilling to let go of. The combat log (though I don't get all bent without the info) is needed and looked forward to. Send out a GREAT JOB to the team!

Why do New Zealand get a unique focus tree when Australia still has to use a generic one
Mate, 'straya has a bigger and better Focus Tree than the Kiwis. Does anyone want to see a match up between the Bob Semple and the Sentinal? :D

//EDITED here as well - BjornB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Historically New Zealand even to this day never had enough manpower to field more than three divisions, barely enough to guard their home land. How on earth are they supposed to take on Australia?
In WWII New Zealand only had two divisions engaged in fighting one in Greece/Africa/Italy and one in the pacific. These were kept at full strength in heavy fighting from the beginning to the end of the war. Conscription was at the age of 18 but deployment overseas was at 21. Two divisions should be what NZ could field with a low manpower law. In 1943 with troops aged 18-21, troops not yet needed as replacements and the home guard we had the equivalent of 3 divisions to defend our homeland. 5 divisions should be what NZ could feild by scraping the barrel.

The only real difference between the equipment standard of the NZ Division in Africa and the British Divisions is that the NZ Division was more heavily motorised.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Silly question, but... what does LP stand for after the tank names?

Wow! New Zealand gets it's own national focus.

Right, then.

"LP" probably refers to "Local Pattern"

For example, in response to critical shortages of equipment and UK industry being fully occupied with their own build-up, NZ built about 1000 universal carriers during WW2, until the entry of US industry into the war made local production inefficient and superfluous by comparison. The most produced local variant was officially designated the "Carrier, Universal, Machine Gun, Local Pattern, No. 2".

Some local variants were called the "NZ Pattern", such as the locally-produced version of the wheeled carrier. However, using "LP" is a perfectly plausible designation for hypothetical locally-produced vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This doesn't make sense to me. A welfare state increases the demand on goods and services, which should increase the consumer goods required. In WW1, pre welfare state, New Zealand had a population of 1.1M, and raised 120K troops. In WW2, with a population of 1.6M, they raised 140K, a much smaller proportion. I can understand increasing national unity, or similar factors, if you think most people were happy with this change. But it shouldn't reduce consumer demands or increase available manpower. That's not the effect it actually had.

This is a fair comment.

However, the Dev Diary refers to a "number" of social reforms. The Social Security Act was one of the first.

The most potent measures, industrially-speaking, were the civilian manpower controls that were sequentially introduced from 10 January 1942, culminating in the notorious Manpower Act of 1944. New Zealand in essence introduced industrial conscription. The government successfully banned strike action, and could order any worker to move from one employer to the next, if they deemed the work "essential". They did try a more free market alternative of reducing the differences in wages that distorted industrial priorities, and letting market forces sort it out, but met very strong union resistance and went for a more centralized option that was easier to implement.

How was the NZ government able to take such strong action? I would state that it is hard to overstate the political influence the Social Security Act of 1938 and other measures gave them. It established the first social security system in the western world, and later universal free hospital care. The burden of manpower controls was not felt equally, but the government was able to implement a degree of industrial control during wartime greater than the UK or Australia achieved in practice.

Last edited:
Reactions:
With a very small industry, you'll have to work hard to expand your production capabilities. Fortunately, unique resources in the form of natural gas, oil and iron rich sands are available for you to exploit. Several industrial initiatives are also available to you and lucrative technology sharing focuses will give you a valuable advantage if you remain loyal to the commonwealth.

First of all, it warms my heart to see my home country so closely examined and included in-game. Nice.

Personally, I would argue that with the technology level at the time, the Onekaka iron mines, which were planned to be used if required, were probably a more cost-effective local source of iron than iron sands, during WW2. However, I do seem to be in a minority, and the west coast iron sands have the "cool" factor. They were also subsequently exploited post-war. Historically we obtained our iron by trading agricultural produce for American and Australian metal, but I appreciate that the in-game mechanics may not readily replicate this, and that local production is more "fun". I agree with the resource decisions you so far appear to have made for game purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions:
@podcat , is it possible to divide NZL into more states? It's painfully hard to do anything with only 2 states under you rule at such low manpower.

I wish they did this but I understand why they don't.

It is a bit bothersome to me to see some countries with all their states but other with only a few states.
They could divide them and add a historical manpower to each state, but I understand it would take a lot of time to research and gameplay-wise it would make it more annoying to capture smaller countries.

How would you know? Other than a few tidbits that they are indeed working on the AI, they haven't really talked about it much, so you don't have a clue whether it has been improved or not.

It's almost certainly a 'Not'.

The AI cant even set up a static battle front properly. If you give it 20 divisions along 10 provinces you'll get 1 div in 9 prov. and 11 div in one seemingly random prov. The moment the battle front changes at all - all hell breaks loose and divisions start marching randomly in all different directions - only very occasionally towards the enemy. Because PDS (knee-jerk without thinking it through) basically turned off strat redeployment of troops along the front this farce now happens at 1/10th the pace that it used to and also inflicts massive attrition on the moving units.

I can only imagine someone has gotten a boolean round the wrong way when it comes to rivers because the AI seems to favour attacking across them.

The only time the AI can march in a cohesive line is when it's 100-odd divisions into an area with low supply so they can all die horribly.

Use of strat. redeployment by the AI is now reserved for it's trademark nerf-wrecking ball manouver where 100% of a nations troops suddenly abandon all it's (active) fronts to rush to the other side of the world and confront some small threat. It's a nerf-ball because when it gets there it does no damage before suddenly swinging back to it's original positions.

I could go on. The only tid bits to appear on the forum in regards to AI focus more on specific fringe case weird behavior. I don't care if my troops sometime do dumb naval re-deployments - the basics/foundations of the combat AI are broken.

You are welcome to hold out hope that this patch will fix it - but you will be disappointed.

A scriptable AI is not an AI at all.

The current AI is not an AI at all (fails on the 'I').

There is no reason part or all of the AI can't be scripted. There are potential performance advantages to having it in the binaries but a well written script will still be better and run faster than a poorly written/designed compiled application.

Reactions:
Not to be belligerent here, but nothing you posted is based on the new XPac, simply because nothing we have seen has shown the AI. None of the DDs have commented on the AI except in passing, and I'm pretty sure the WWWs are using older (more stable) builds.

Reactions:
Not to be belligerent here, but nothing you posted is based on the new XPac, simply because nothing we have seen has shown the AI. None of the DDs have commented on the AI except in passing, and I'm pretty sure the WWWs are using older (more stable) builds.

This is a war game. Belligerents are required ;)

I wish I could remain hopeful/optimistic like you (too old & too jaded). I stand by my post but I wouldn't be miserable if it turns out I am wrong.

As per xtfoster's post, not meant in belligerence, just logic :). Anyways, Steelvolt's been working on it full-time since 1.2.1 launched. Are you suggesting that in a few months' work he's made no progress at all, even though he's posted on a number of occasions to the contrary? I'm sure the AI won't be perfect after 1.3, but technically speaking you're saying the AI isn't improved at all, and this is a pretty improbable outcome given what we know. I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know, but I do think it's very unlikely you're right if what you said was what you meant to say.

Another thing to keep in mind is that two of the bigger issues with the land AI are template construction and front management. One of these issues (template construction) is fairly easily solved mechanically, it's just an issue of time and resources. Front management is a good deal trickier, but it's worth keeping in mind that if the AI is on a single, relatively small front, it actually handles it quite well. Issues arise when the front becomes so long you get shuffling along it (an issue also endemic in HoI3) or the AI bounces its priorities (and troops) between fronts. Significant progress on either of those issues will go a long way to improving the land game (which is what most people talk about when they're talking AI).

The current AI is not an AI at all (fails on the 'I').

There is no reason part or all of the AI can't be scripted. There are potential performance advantages to having it in the binaries but a well written script will still be better and run faster than a poorly written/designed compiled application.

The current behavioural/production AI does have a scripted component, although it's still very much in its infancy (the ai_strategies) and the division templates are also scripted, while there are defines for many elements of the AI's behaviour that can be adjusted. Which part of the AI were you thinking about in terms of scripting that isn't already?

@KiwiNoob It is safest for me just to quote a Dev on this subject of AI development:
The issue is that we occasionally implement a change and then later remove it again. For example, we implemented a change that the AI should not consider a border with a country it has a NAP as something that needs to be defended. This makes sense, obviously, since that's the entire point of a NAP. But it also means that the Soviet AI doesn't defend against Germany if the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact happens. So we removed that. But then Germany considered the long border with the Soviet Union to be important enough to stick a couple dozen divisions there. That in turn led to the German AI having trouble beating France. So we reverted that change.

AI bugs are generally not things you fix once and then never touch again. Everything is connected to everything else. So the AI changes won't exactly be "made AI not be stupid", its more like "rewrote front assignment AI to take better advantage of defensible terrain", quite possibly followed within a day by "reverted previous changes as AI now considers mountains to be sacred and never leaves them after it takes them"

Reactions:
As per xtfoster's post, not meant in belligerence, just logic :). Anyways, Steelvolt's been working on it full-time since 1.2.1 launched. Are you suggesting that in a few months' work he's made no progress at all, even though he's posted on a number of occasions to the contrary?

Not quite. I'm saying that they're focusing/fixing the wrong things. The basics/core of the combat AI doesn't work and they need to focus on that stuff first.

The current behavioural/production AI does have a scripted component, although it's still very much in its infancy (the ai_strategies) and the division templates are also scripted, while there are defines for many elements of the AI's behaviour that can be adjusted. Which part of the AI were you thinking about in terms of scripting that isn't already?

I'm talking primarily here about the combat AI and about having the logic scriptable rather than being able to change values that are used by the AI in the binaries.

Not quite. I'm saying that they're focusing/fixing the wrong things. The basics/core of the combat AI doesn't work and they need to focus on that stuff first.

Technically, the logic/semantics of your words was that it would not be improved :p. I fully take that what you said in response was what you intended to say though :). However, I'd note that you're currently being out-languaged by an Australian, lift your game, you Kiwis are generally better at that kind of thing than us :p. As for whether the basics/core of the combat is being fixed, I think that depends a lot on what you mean (see below).

I'm talking primarily here about the combat AI and about having the logic scriptable rather than being able to change values that are used by the AI in the binaries.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by combat AI though. Do you mean the tactics chosen by commanders, or the attacker to defender ratio when choosing to attack, or the choice of the province to attack? There's not much AI (at all) involved in the actual combat (beyond naval combat, where there is actually a bit going on - and I fully agree, I'd love more control over it, as there's definitely room to improve it). Apologies if I'm missing something really obvious, and you're going "How thick is this Australian?!"