• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would have thought it was rather obvious that Kyros power is derived from the spires aswell. Hence his desire to keep attention on the spire, low-key.
As I say for a time here, we don't know that Kyros have a desire to keep attention on the spire low-key. It's in-game speculation, without any solid data, and based on presupposition of Kyros' infallability.
The point is, before you know exactly how to activate a spire, it's useless (until happy/unhappy coincidence). So Kyros haven't actually any reason to forbid them - but IF it's a source of his power, IF he depends on Spires, IF Spires are active and kicking, you'll await to have them guarded at least.

The only problem with this theory is that need to have others proclaim edicts in his place, but the degree to which this is true is still rather nebulous.
Nah, it's not a problem. Maybe if just PC knows better about Spires and Edicts, he will cast Edicts through his acolites as well.
Also PC can cast Edicts with only one spire as well, can't he? If he came to 3rd Act with only one Spire?

As I say for a time here, we don't know that Kyros have a desire to keep attention on the spire low-key. It's in-game speculation, without any solid data, and based on presupposition of Kyros' infallability.
The point is, before you know exactly how to activate a spire, it's useless (until happy/unhappy coincidence). So Kyros haven't actually any reason to forbid them - but IF it's a source of his power, IF he depends on Spires, IF Spires are active and kicking, you'll await to have them guarded at least.
But thats the thing, Kyros is both wise and cunning. No-one knows the source of his power, they don't even know his gender, many can only hope to fathom his intents. Such mystery serves as both a form of defence and a source of power, as it is suggested that both fear and awe contribute to an Archons overall strength. To post guards at the spires, would incline others to question, why he would post guards at the spires, what value and importance do they hold, that Kyros would choose to defend them. He might be tight lipped on the matter, but one can infer much, from that which goes unspoken. It's alluded to in the missive with the old fatebinder, that the oldwalls are off-limits, but the spire are seemingly left unmentioned, so as not to draw attention to the spires themselves. A reasonable assumption and for Kyros, a sound strategy. The question would then become, did Kyros fully understand what manner of Archon the PC was to become, one with a connection to the spires like Kyros, or not. If the answer is yes, then it begs the question, why on earth would Kyros seek to create the first very real threat to his absolute rule? If not it would explain Kyros sudden withdrawal of his forces as, realising that the Archon he created might just be his equal, has forced him to take a moment to reconsider his immediate actions and prepare an appropriate response.

Nah, it's not a problem. Maybe if just PC knows better about Spires and Edicts, he will cast Edicts through his acolites as well.
Also PC can cast Edicts with only one spire as well, can't he? If he came to 3rd Act with only one Spire?
True, you can cast with one spire, but perhap that spire is special in that it is connected to other spires, we can't be sure the same can be said of spires beyond the tiers. If Kyros power to cast edicts is derived from spires, just like the PC, why then must Kyros have the edict read by another when being used at distance? Perhaps the strength of the edict is what is defined by the proclomation by another. In order to gain permenance, the edict must be spoken locally. Otherwise, like with the PC's edict of Kyros capital, it will gradually fade.

To post guards at the spires, would incline others to question, why he would post guards at the spires, what value and importance do they hold, that Kyros would choose to defend them.
It's very simple. You turn Spires into citadels, as Tiersmens did quite often, and stand a garrison there.

It's alluded to in the missive with the old fatebinder, that the oldwalls are off-limits, but the spire are seemingly left unmentioned, so as not to draw attention to the spires themselves.
As I said, yes, it's in-game speculation, that, actually, build on the basis "Kyros is all-powerful and all-knowing".
I mean, there are two possible explanations why Kyros didn't blocked Spires.
1. He haven't a clue about real significance of Spires, so he didn't see a need to block it.
2. He have all knowledge about Spires, and such as he don't block it, there is some clever cunning plan.
If you suppose that Kyros is all-powerful and all-knowing, second variant is the only possible, but nothing really proves Kyros is all-powerful and all-knowing. It's position Tunon believes hardly, and he build his Court on this foundation, that's a basis for Tunon's justice - Kyros is always right, so his laws ARE the best laws possible. So of course any experienced fatebinder will speculate here. And when you show him holes in Kyros laws, when you shows him "Kyros IS fallable", Tunon submit to you.

And Edicts are actually worded such way that only two possibilities remains:
1. Kyros is actually fallable, he can make a mistake, it's possible his will will not executed. Kyros wanted all regent's line be dead, and you just used juridical loophole to broke his will. Kyros wanted forbidden knowledge to stay in Burning Library, but you just used juridical loophole to broke his will.
2. Kyros' plans have such complexity and multifactoriality so our weak human minds can't gasp it. It's quite possible, of course, but then any speculation is pointless.

It's very simple. You turn Spires into citadels, as Tiersmens did quite often, and stand a garrison there.

that's all good and well for lone spires like the one at vendrien's well but you can't turn the ones in the oldwalls into garrisons because of the bane

Then it's quite obvious why garrisons are around, right? You just protecting entrances to Oldwalls, using natural fortresses, such are, convenionally, safe.
I mean, if Spires are something that matter, you really will expect guards, with or without special cause, around. And, well, it's not. At least, nobody says a word about it.

Then it's quite obvious why garrisons are around, right? You just protecting entrances to Oldwalls, using natural fortresses, such are, convenionally, safe.
I mean, if Spires are something that matter, you really will expect guards, with or without special cause, around. And, well, it's not. At least, nobody says a word about it.
Not if nobody else realises they matter, thats the whole point, Kyros has cultivated mystery as both a source of defence and power. In making there importance known, they must forever be defended, that is valuable resources diverted to defence and a clear target for those that seek to strike at you. By denying your enemy knowledge of the significance of the Spires, you both cover the defence of you power and prevent you vulnerability from being known, meaning enemies don't know where to strike to undermine that power. That in itself is a better defense than any number of fortresses full of armed men.

Wait a second.
Spires are magical lodestones, natural magic amplifiers, we know it, it's common knowledge. I mean, of course, "academical circles", people with high Lore. It's by default valuable resources diverted to defence. It's not something unknown and highly hidden (because every mage can, well, just prove it going around).
So Kyros doing very bad job trying to hide that Spires is something significant.

You see, if I wanted to hide info that Spires are my source of power, I'd say: "of course Spires are significant. It's magical amplifiers, and it's fortresses, build by somebody before. That's why they should be guarded and controlled, as, well, every strategic resourse in Empire, as iron mines, for example". I'd say "of course, they are valuable, what do you think?" Because, well, every learned mage knows they are. It's, you know, trying to hide valuability of iron mines by just don't protecting them and allowing everybody just came in and out.
That's not a cover, after all, every Fatebinder can blow. You see, Kyros don't need to hide such info from peasant or from common Disfavored, right? He need to hide it from Lantry, from Ebb, from the Voices of Nerat, from Myothis. From high-lore magicans, who can tap into his power and try to rid him from it.

Wait a second.
Spires are magical lodestones, natural magic amplifiers, we know it, it's common knowledge. I mean, of course, "academical circles", people with high Lore. It's by default valuable resources diverted to defence. It's not something unknown and highly hidden (because every mage can, well, just prove it going around).
So Kyros doing very bad job trying to hide that Spires is something significant.

You see, if I wanted to hide info that Spires are my source of power, I'd say: "of course Spires are significant. It's magical amplifiers, and it's fortresses, build by somebody before. That's why they should be guarded and controlled, as, well, every strategic resourse in Empire, as iron mines, for example". I'd say "of course, they are valuable, what do you think?" Because, well, every learned mage knows they are. It's, you know, trying to hide valuability of iron mines by just don't protecting them and allowing everybody just came in and out.
That's not a cover, after all, every Fatebinder can blow. You see, Kyros don't need to hide such info from peasant or from common Disfavored, right? He need to hide it from Lantry, from Ebb, from the Voices of Nerat, from Myothis. From high-lore magicans, who can tap into his power and try to rid him from it.
True, it's suggested that spires are magical amplifiers of a sort, but access to the tops of spires is pretty rare and undocumented. The fact that they are connected to Kyros power, would not be even remotely known, in part as Kyros shows little interest in them. They are, little more than a magical and academic curiosity. Stick garrisons inside and defend them like assets and they will suddenly become far more significant both strategically aswell as tatically. By not drawing attention to them, they are left ot be regarded as little more than a curiosity, should they become anything more, then Kyros is in a position to reinforce or defend them, having prolonged the enigma for many centuries without having to divert resources and manpower ot defend them and provide possible enemies a target to strike at, making enemies more ineffectual. They aren't known to possess any great quality by the general population and even the learned poeple of the world consider them a complete mystery that is largely not worth investigating as they are bane magnets and access to the top of the spires doesn't mean access to the power derived from the spires, but knowledge of what they are could make them targets and if they are the source of Kyros power, they might be destroyed or damaged or access to them denied him/her. As I said. By pretending they are worthless, those that seek to overcome Kyros don't relate them to Kyros and therefore have no reason to seek to control them, those that have reason to study them are unlikely in the most, to have any real power to control them.

True, it's suggested that spires are magical amplifiers of a sort, but access to the tops of spires is pretty rare and undocumented.
Wait, it's not suggested. "First, the spires behave as a arcane lodestone - there is a constant field of magical strength around a Spire. If you imagine a mystic sea resting atop our world, the Spires seem to spin and churn this magic - creating a spell cast with even modest effort will materialize with powerful results." As it works AROUND, not on top, it's known fact.
So Kyros have absolutely valid option to control such a places - as he control every magical asset in Empire... but he don't use it.
And so Spires aren't something nobody goes around (and it shouldn't be - every magical crafter, for example, can really use it!), people even builds temples around. So every mage who wants to overthrow Kyros, of course, came to Spire to build a citadel there - because his magic is more powerful there!
Essentially it's "yes, it's iron mine, nothing intresting here, come along, absolutely nothing intresting". How the hell nothing intresting, it's IRON MINE!

Wait, it's not suggested. "First, the spires behave as a arcane lodestone - there is a constant field of magical strength around a Spire. If you imagine a mystic sea resting atop our world, the Spires seem to spin and churn this magic - creating a spell cast with even modest effort will materialize with powerful results." As it works AROUND, not on top, it's known fact.
So Kyros have absolutely valid option to control such a places - as he control every magical asset in Empire... but he don't use it.
And so Spires aren't something nobody goes around (and it shouldn't be - every magical crafter, for example, can really use it!), people even builds temples around. So every mage who wants to overthrow Kyros, of course, came to Spire to build a citadel there - because his magic is more powerful there!
Essentially it's "yes, it's iron mine, nothing intresting here, come along, absolutely nothing intresting". How the hell nothing intresting, it's IRON MINE!
*sigh* Yes they are known to be powerful magical lodestones, but as is explained in the game,magic is generally regarded with suspicion. Lords and rulers built cities at their bases, placed banners on them and "claimed" them as their own. No big deal. Enemies of Kyros, the ones that matter, never knew them for the true power that they were. As such, in ignoring them, or seeming to, Kyros gives no-one reason to think otherwise. It's not a difficult concept to grasp. Access into a spire requires going through the oldwalls for a means to access the top, doing so is no gaurentee that someone can form a connection with them. By deny the common man access to the oldwalls, Kyros prevents much greater investigation into the nature of the Spires, those few who might have an inkling as thier importance must contend with bane, on the off-chance they might prove useful in oppossing Kyros. Big risk with slim chance of reward. Any force that has to garrison the old walss must contend with the bane and draw the interest of those that actually have the power to effectively oppose Kyros. Easier to do as Kyros has done in the game, and use secrecy and misdirection to keep the knowledge from ever coming into play.

I believe you don't get it.
Let's imagine Spires are NOT Kyros' powerbase, they are just... things. In the middle of nowhere. That's exactly that Kyros in "conspiracy theory" tries to tell, right?
I'm a mage who is going to be, well, powerful mage, maybe throw a gauntlet against Kyros. I'm not regard a magic with suspicion, I actually am a mage. I need a citadel. So, I go to Spire, because being AROUND (not IN, not ON TOP - AROUND) Spire my magic works better (just because Spires are working such way). And of course, I will be intrested how do Spire do it, because maybe I can replicate an effect?..
It's not difficult concept to grasp either - in a world where every person is theoretically possible to be a mage, and dozens exarchs running around, giant magic amplifier will magnet attention. Not because they ARE (or AREN'T) Kyros powerbase, but because they're magical lodestones.

Imagine you want to hide magical golden coin. If you just throw it on the earth hoping "hey, nobody knows it's magical, and if I won't say it anybody, nobody will take it, because who intrested", coin just would be taken as GOLDEN, not as MAGICAL. But it will be taken anyway.
Same with Spires. They will attract attention not because they're heart of Kyros power, but because they are magical lodestones. And when they attract attention as a magical lodestone, they will be studied as magical lodestone, not as heart of Kyros power.

I'm not argueing that they are massive and magical edifices, that others have claimed and sort to understand. I'm simply attempting to explain how I agree that the reasoning behind Kyros not establishing his own claim over them, is one that makes perfect sense, from a defensive position. It is in keeping with Kyros methods of handling things. For over a millenia, no-one has discovered the true power of the spires, in part because Kyros keeps a close watch on the goings on around the Oldwalls, while making sure no-one knows that he has an interest in the spires. This has left them as giant, ancient magical mystery architecture, standing silently, undistubred but for the unaware locals that are brave enough to settle around their bases. As lantry and Eb explain, mages have been curious about them but there is no record of any mage getting far in understanding them. Much though they may have tried. Perhaps some have and Kyros has seen to it, that those that learn something of worth are disposed of, quietly and any knowledge they have gleaned is destroyed. The PC even speculates that he/she might not be the first unlock the power of the spires only to be silenced by Kyros. That Kyros doesn't claim and militarise the spires is a sound and effective means of ensuring that they remain an unlocked mystery, the fact that they are regarded as such, after millenia, is evidence of this.

As lantry and Eb explain, mages have been curious about them but there is no record of any mage getting far in understanding them. Much though they may have tried.
...and that's just mean that Kyros' method to "let just put great magical amplfiers and pretend they don't exist at all, and then nobody will intrested" is, well, flawed. I mean, it don't working. If nobody find that they have some earthbreaking real powers, that's not because cunning Kyros makes everybody thing they're not worthy of exploration.
They are worthy of exploration, granted.
Mages tried to research them, granted.

That Kyros doesn't claim and militarise the spires is a sound and effective means of ensuring that they remain an unlocked mystery, the fact that they are regarded as such, after millenia, is evidence of this.
Wait, what?!
That Kyros doesn't claim and militatise the Spires means ONLY that every mage can come and try to unveal a mystery if he wants. AND THEY DO.
They don't managed to unveil it, but NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T TRIED. You cited Lantry and Ebb yourself.
If nobody in millenia (hell, what millenia?.. actually Kyros around here 400 years) managed to find real source of Kyros power in the Spires, it means one of two things:
1. It's hidden very well. So well that working of great magic guilds don't unveil anything.
2. There is not real source of Kyros power in the Spires.

Let me highligh it, because I believe it's the point you miss.
If Kyros plan not to forbid Spires is based on idea "If I don't forbid Spires nobody will be intrested in them", said plan is fundamentaly stupid and failed. Nobody reveal mystery not because nobody was intrested. Mages was intrested in Spires, and Kyros didn't forbidding them access actually HELPS research. Said research just don't give any good data, but not because nobody was intrested.

...and that's just mean that Kyros' method to "let just put great magical amplfiers and pretend they don't exist at all, and then nobody will intrested" is, well, flawed. I mean, it don't working. If nobody find that they have some earthbreaking real powers, that's not because cunning Kyros makes everybody thing they're not worthy of exploration.
They are worthy of exploration, granted.
Mages tried to research them, granted.

Wait, what?!
That Kyros doesn't claim and militatise the Spires means ONLY that every mage can come and try to unveal a mystery if he wants. AND THEY DO.
They don't managed to unveil it, but NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T TRIED. You cited Lantry and Ebb yourself.
If nobody in millenia (hell, what millenia?.. actually Kyros around here 400 years) managed to find real source of Kyros power in the Spires, it means one of two things:
1. It's hidden very well. So well that working of great magic guilds don't unveil anything.
2. There is not real source of Kyros power in the Spires.

Let me highligh it, because I believe it's the point you miss.
If Kyros plan not to forbid Spires is based on idea "If I don't forbid Spires nobody will be intrested in them", said plan is fundamentaly stupid and failed. Nobody reveal mystery not because nobody was intrested. Mages was intrested in Spires, and Kyros didn't forbidding them access actually HELPS research. Said research just don't give any good data, but not because nobody was intrested.
One last time, no-one was looking for the connection between the spires and Kyros unassailble power, the edicts. If you don't know what your looking for, your less likely to find it.

The foundation of Kyros power, is the edicts, that is made clear in game. If indeed Kyros power is derived from the spires themselves or something connected to the spires, it behooves Kyros to make sure that this connection is never made. If the connection is never made, then his enemies can only make assumptions, educated guesses. and can never really strike at the source of his power. Mages can come and go to the spires and the oldwalls, they can study them, ineffectually, as has been shown, the spires have stood for the better part of a millenia atleast and from in game lore, the PC is the only documented case of someone having unlocked the secrets and power of the spires. Except maybe Kyros itself. They have done so likely by accident.

Kyros enacts laws against entering the oldwalls, which in turn limits access to the spires. But doesn't explicitly deny access to spires. Doing so might single them out as important, which is a bad idea. By limiting access to the oldwalls (and by extension the spires) Kyros limits the number of people that might accidently stumble upon its secret source of power. While claiming the spires and and the oldwalls and turning them into military fortresses, all but guarentees a damn sight more foot traffic, more people pouring over the oldwalls and their secrets and the risk of someone else stumbling upon the truth, either by sheer accident or while studying the oldwalls and the spires for their magical amplifiing ability. Fortresses are full of hundreds or thousands of soildiers, mages and more importantly archons, who are more likely to be able to make use of the knowledge they might glean from the ancient structures.

The greatest risk of exposure of Kyros secret source of power, comes from the claiming and militarising of the oldwalls and spires. Tens of thousands of militarily mided people pouring over the arcane secrets of the oldwalls and the spires. Once that knowledge becomes known, Kyros enemies have a greater understanding of his, to that point, unassailable might. Now it's a matter of time before someone finds a means of attacking that source of his power, either to claim for themselves or to destroy the spires outright. This is a vulnerability that did not exist all the while no-one knew about it. The risk that some random mage might survive a trip into the oldwalls, might make his or her way to the spire and might glean enough understanding of the spires to link them to Kyros foundation of power, its edicts, is far smaller and far more prefereable to the first option.

It would be like building the death star with its tiny exhaust pipe thingy, then putting a great big red flag over the port and a ton of guns around it, hmmm the rebel would think...me doth think the innocuous port might be important!....

As I said, Kyros is cunning that way, it relies on people not looking too closely, not asking the right questions and being distracted by the ground that is shaking beneath their feet because Kyros just put an edict on their capital and his armies are swarming over their farm lands, raping and pillaging their people led by all powerful and quite mad archons. It's effective if somewhat risky strategy but far less risky than having the source of his power swarming with the very people she has intimidated into subservience.

Thats my take on it and your welcome to disagree.

The foundation of Kyros power, is the edicts, that is made clear in game. If indeed Kyros power is derived from the spires themselves or something connected to the spires, it behooves Kyros to make sure that this connection is never made.
Yes. And so Kyros says:
"This things are powerful magical amplifiers. I'm claiming them, because they're powerful magical amplifiers, you know, magic works better." Kyros never speaks a word about Spires being a source of his Edict powers. He's claiming them as well as EVERY sensible magician will claim them.
I can't understand, why do you believe that EVERY interest Kyros have will followed with somebody mystically defined that it's a sourse of his power? Kyros intrested with iron mines, exarchs, magic guilds, cities... everywhere somebody will digging a sourse of his powers? He could take Spires just as he take ANY strategical asset, and Spires ARE strategical assets, even if they are not Kyros' heart of power!

Doing so might single them out as important, which is a bad idea
*sign*
Once more. Every sensible mage KNOWS they are important. We know it, Ebb and Lantry knows they are important. Even nobles know they are important.

Try look into it on another angle.
We DO agree that Spires amplify magical powers.
We DO agree it's common fact.
We DO agree mages are intrested in spires.
What is more suspicious - Kyros taking such amplifiers or Kyros don't taking them? What is faster takes an intrest - a man who take 100$ just lying on the land, or a man who stubbornly ignore it and taking every other bill he see?
He takes everything. Why not Spires?

It would be like building the death star with its tiny exhaust pipe thingy, then putting a great big red flag over the port and a ton of guns around it, hmmm the rebel would think...me doth think the innocuous port might be important!....
And Kyros' approach in your version is quite another.
He builds a Death Star, KNOWS about a weakness in it's tiny exhaust pipe thingy, but, trying not to impress anybody, just remove every point of armor, flac guns and patrol fighters - because defence of the system is STRANGE. Everywhere on station there is defence, but exhaust pipe, connected with reactor (well, every sensible engineer knows why exhaust pipes exists!), is ABSOLUTLY DEFENCELESS.
Don't you think it looks... strange?

Last edited:
Yes. And so Kyros says:
"This things are powerful magical amplifiers. I'm claiming them, because they're powerful magical amplifiers, you know, magic works better." Kyros never speaks a word about Spires being a source of my Edict powers. He's claiming them as well as EVERY sensible magician will claim them.
They might claim them, but they don't understand that they are the source of his power, they can't tap them. The aren't a threat to his source of power. If Kyros wants them, then so will everybody else, and they will be asking themselves, why he wants them. You say all other sensible mage would want them... but the Sages don't build their library at one of them, the Tidecasters don't hold one of them. You over emphasising their importance in the minds of the tiersman, who regard them baleful and a source of wicked things, such as bane. they aren't regarded for great seats of magical power but as magical mysteries, who's secrets are unknowable.

I can't understand, why do you believe that EVERY interest Kyros have will followed with somebody mystically defined that it's a sourse of his power? Kyros intrested with iron mines, exarchs, magic guilds, cities... everywhere somebody will digging a sourse of his powers? He could take Spires just as he take ANY strategical asset, and Spires ARE strategical assets, even if they are not Kyros' heart of power!

It's made quite clear that Kyros defining power, that sets him apart from all others is his power over the edicts. He may command vast armies, and great resources and powerful generals and followers. But without the edicts, Kyros is a jumped up archon. His armies can be defeated, Graven Ashe proved that, his fortresses can be conquered and torn down. His mines taken and his servants and bases of power elminated. Kyros without the edicts is no more threatening than any other archon. As such the power of the edicts and the source of that power, is both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness (this all assuming that indeed the spires or something linked to them is the source of his power of edict, it may not be, but I am inclined to believe that it is)

Kyros without the edicts is not the threat so many fear him to be. His power can be challenged and will be, as the people of Terratus will, correctly assume his power is no more or less than any other archon.

Kyros with the edicts is a god amongst men, because, deprived even of his armies, his fortresses, his archon and servitors, he still has the power to destroy cities and lay waste to armies. Thats is the true source of his power over the world of Terratus. That is why he would go to extreme and unusual lengths to ensure that the source of that power, forever remain a mystery, so that others can neither deprive him of it or fight against it. It really is that simple. Its a gambit that has paid off for over 400 years of his conquest. One that is based on good reasoning, for no-one else in the long history of Terratus has discovered the secret of edicts, against which there is no defence, even though the spires have stood for so very long, with people coming and going in the manner as they do now. If they have held their own secrets for that long without interference, why should Kyros change that situation and encourage more people to get up in the secrets of the oldwalls and the spires both?

And Kyros' approach in your version is quite another.
He builds a Death Star, KNOWS about a weakness in it's tiny exhaust pipe thingy, but, trying not to impress anybody, just remove every point of armor, flac guns and patrol fighters - because defence of the system is STRANGE. Everywhere on station there is defence, but exhaust pipe, connected with reactor (well, every sensible engineer knows why exhaust pipes exists!), is ABSOLUTLY DEFENCELESS.
Don't you think it looks... strange?

:D Thats was actually funny. Its not about trying to impress anybody, it's about keeping a secret. The point is, the rebels only learned that that opening was of significance after obtaining the plans for the death star. Without those plans, it was just an aperture, nothing special here x-wing pilot, fly on by

also the main problem with garrisons is that the main threats to kyros's power comes from within his organisation, not from without

imagine if you will a spire garrisoned by the chorus, don't you think the voices would be there nearly constantly trying to crack open the spire?

also the main problem with garrisons is that the main threats to kyros's power comes from within his organisation, not from without

imagine if you will a spire garrisoned by the chorus, don't you think the voices would be there nearly constantly trying to crack open the spire?
My thoughts exactly. The archons under Kyros follow it because they believe they have no other choice. If they were to suspect otherwise, their loyalties would quickly become more flexible.

It's intresting idea, but WHY EXACTLY can't you? Kyros has DOZENS of Archons. The best way possible he will drop their numbers at 6 (Ashe, Voices, Tunon, Mark, Pox, Sirin); and really, Kyros could made it so simpler that all that running for Edicts, just ordered Mark to do so.
To be honest, I believe my idea about "Kyros really don't know what's happening and just reacting in raising situations without long-term plans and full knowledge" looks more valid.
I agree and its more or less the same conclusion i have. Kyros didn't know you will end the edict you started. He couldn't predict it. And if he couldn't predict that he also could not predict you activating a spire. I don't think he even knows how to activate them as we can suspect the woman the spire shows you in the vision trying to activate it was Kyros. And if he knows how to activate the spires then why aren't those in the Tiers already activated by her? Her method of casting edicts is different then fatebinders maybe it doesn't come from the spires but somewhere else? Maybe something she found in the oldwalls?

I have two theories: either he wants you to become an heir, or he is like the Shadow from Babylon 5, and he believes that the chaos and conflict will make humanity stronger. Just look at his two chosen generals: one of order, one of chaos. He sends them in with each other.