• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been at this too long :p
First time I tried I read the scrolls first, had no artifacts in inventory, saw nothing.
Second time I read the scrolls first, had an artifact in my inventory (not the staff, the heavy armour artifact), saw nothing.
Third time I didn't read the scrolls but looted them, had the staff in inventory, nothing.
Fourth time I read the scrolls first, had the staff in inventory, nothing.

Just to be sure, you looted the notes in the first, second and fourth try?

For me I did read the scrolls and looted both. I had the Staff equiped on my Main char. (Disfavored and didn't warn them).
I had only the choice to switch it with the Staff (I had other)

Just to be sure, you looted the notes in the first, second and fourth try?

For me I did read the scrolls and looted both. I had the Staff equiped on my Main char. (Disfavored and didn't warn them).
I had only the choice to switch it with the Staff (I had other)

Yeah, read and looted. First time I had the staff equipped but not in inventory. I'm also on the Disfavoured path and didn't warn the sages in conquest, so it can't be that.

I am having the same issue. No way to replace it with another artifact. When I click the scroll it first says the "Replace with an artifact to keep the protection" thing but there's no way to actually do that which leaves me with the only options being take the scroll, which destroys it, or throw it into the lava... which does the same thing.

Kind of feeling like I don't want to continue until this is fixed which is unfortunate as I'm loving this game immensely.

May as well continue, there are a good number of serious issues, you're probably affected more than you realize and have missed some stuff that doesn't properly trigger. My advice is finish, wait for some patches, do another playthrough. That's what I'm going to do.

Hello all,

When on the Disfavored path, you are tasked with destroying the library, so the option to preserve it should not be available.

If this option is not available to you when on a different path (and you've met the other conditions of: Sufficient Lore skill, Read the Sage Notes, & have an artifact to swap) then that is not intended. If you are in this state and could upload a save with this issue, I would be happy to send it to the team.

Thank you all,
David

Reactions:
Hello all,

When on the Disfavored path, you are tasked with destroying the library, so the option to preserve it should not be available.

If this option is not available to you when on a different path (and you've met the other conditions of: Sufficient Lore skill, Read the Sage Notes, & have an artifact to swap) then that is not intended. If you are in this state and could upload a save with this issue, I would be happy to send it to the team.

Thank you all,
David

Frankly I think that this is very disappointing. This game is all about decisions and just because I sided with the Disfavored I am suddenly unable to make a decision? Especially since I am able to break the alliance pretty often.
Hopefully this will be changed because I simply see no reason for this kind of refinement. In games without many decisions I would tolerate something like that but here it's rather sad.

Has anybody tried to break the alliance just before taking the silent archives?

ps: Does anybody know why this forum permits email-addresses like f.somethingelese@gmail.com? The first dot is the issue but I don't understand why...

Reactions:
Why? I'm not a servant of the Disfavored, I just think they are the most civilized way to bring the Tiers into the empire. Can't say I agree with this nonsensical bit of railroading, as finding out about it has basically killed my desire to continue playing.

Reactions:
Throwing my hat into the ring here in agreement with Jorlem and Erithan. Bug or not, this feels like a highly discordant move compared to the rest of the game in that instead of allowing you to make choices when and as you seen fit, which it has been mostly good about up to this point, there is some heavy handed course correction going on. In fact, the decision trees leading up to this decision allow you to openly state numerous times and side with the Sage faction to preserve the library without indicating a [Lie] as it normally would. It is by no means game ruining, but it is deeply disappointing and I still feel like this is a decision/scenario that was overlooked and is being hand waved as intended because it's ultimately too late for anyone here at this point, and the game has been out long enough that fixing it isn't likely worthwhile.

Bottom line, the option should still be there, it kind of sucks it doesn't. The fact that people have to come to a thread and ask why they can't make a choice a meta prompt is straight up telling them they should be able to make should be telling enough.

Reactions:
Throwing my hat into the ring here in agreement with Jorlem and Erithan. Bug or not, this feels like a highly discordant move compared to the rest of the game in that instead of allowing you to make choices when and as you seen fit, which it has been mostly good about up to this point, there is some heavy handed course correction going on. In fact, the decision trees leading up to this decision allow you to openly state numerous times and side with the Sage faction to preserve the library without indicating a [Lie] as it normally would. It is by no means game ruining, but it is deeply disappointing and I still feel like this is a decision/scenario that was overlooked and is being hand waved as intended because it's ultimately too late for anyone here at this point, and the game has been out long enough that fixing it isn't likely worthwhile.

Bottom line, the option should still be there, it kind of sucks it doesn't. The fact that people have to come to a thread and ask why they can't make a choice a meta prompt is straight up telling them they should be able to make should be telling enough.
I think anyone who attempts multiple playthrough (or even reloading earlier saves to make different decisions) will see that a great deal of thought went into how decision trees would play out. Granted some of the outcomes are sloppy (I'm not a huge fan of how I got "handed" Aurora Spire in one of my games), but to say that David is making up stuff to "hide" a bug (especially when he is so forthright about acknowledging them elsewhere) it a tad bit silly.

If you're being sent by Ashe, then you are on the Disfavored path. Not the Rebel. Not the Anarchist. The Disfavored path. You're still playing in Kyros' sandbox and Kyros wants the library destroyed. What part of that is logically inconsistent with what people are reporting?

I guess my main gripe would be that this could have been a very good place for a betray alliance option: You choose not to destroy the Library and turn your back on the Disfavored.

But I haven't gone the Disfavored path yet, so what do I know? :)

Reactions:
I agree. Betray option is available on many minor locations, but sometimes, where there is possible major choice, it is missing.

Like destroying burning library in disfavored path, or slaughtering Bestman on the same path.

Reactions:
As said - there is an option to betray the alliance regularly - but not for a major event. Until Act 3 you should be able to decide at any time to walk away. The game says it is about choices, but at odd points choices get taken away. There are seemingly almost random points where you just walk up to a group of NPC's in various areas just asking for information - and you have the option to betray and start attacking everyone.

The Library should be no different, and for an even better reason. Historically, burning books, and destroying information, has a dark set of consequences and connotations. Many people I would think will get to this part, and while it is a game, and you are being evil - are going to say "No, I draw the line at burning books and destroying knowledge and history, even if it is in a game - i am going to tell Ashe and the Disfavored to eat my shorts".

And - it seems like it would add more drama to betray an alliance at a major point like at the Edict, rather than only having the option when walking up to a group of NPC's to just talk to them.

Otherwise, what is the point of having choices at all? once you pick an alliance should you just be stuck with it until the end in that case? It seems like the less fun option.

Reactions:
I don't know that "[Betray alliance]" should necessarily be present in every conversation, but players ought to be able to handle things like the Burning Library as they see fit and then try to justify their decisions to Ashe (or whoever they are working for). After all, the game basically does this in Act 1 for rebel games, where you can persuade Tunon that a rebel alliance made sense under the circumstances even though you were tasked with bringing them to heel. It's hard to see why you shouldn't be able to preserve the Burning Library on a Disfavored run and then role-play whether Ashe can be made to see the logic of this. Maybe you succeed, maybe not (in which case he might bring *you* to heel and order you to go back and do the job right), but it would be great to be able to try.

wait you get the option to betray them before you enter the library i didn't do that but now i wonder if that would give you the choice not to burn it? Ah oops that was with the other side.

Last edited:
When I click the scroll it first says the "Replace with an artifact to keep the protection" thing but there's no way to actually do that which leaves me with the only options being take the scroll, which destroys it, or throw it into the lava... which does the same thing.
Not sure why your taking the Silent Archive destroys it.

I'm also working with the Disfavored and, thus, had no option to swap in the staff to preserve the library. But upon taking the Archive, the library was destroyed, the edict was ended, but afterwards, I had possession of the Archive(it was an accessory).

This also resolved the RPing conflict for me as well as, even though I destroyed the library the description of the Silent Archive implies that it contains the entire knowledge of the library. So I preserved the knowledge of the library anyway.

Of course, the Sages don't KNOW any of that and are still SUPER pissed at me for burning down the library...

Not sure why your taking the Silent Archive destroys it.

I'm also working with the Disfavored and, thus, had no option to swap in the staff to preserve the library. But upon taking the Archive, the library was destroyed, the edict was ended, but afterwards, I had possession of the Archive(it was an accessory).

This also resolved the RPing conflict for me as well as, even though I destroyed the library the description of the Silent Archive implies that it contains the entire knowledge of the library. So I preserved the knowledge of the library anyway.

Of course, the Sages don't KNOW any of that and are still SUPER pissed at me for burning down the library...

The Sages' notes or your own Lore check should reveal that the Sages have created a protection-field, which is powered by the Silent Archive. If the Archive is removed without a replacement Artifact as an alternative power source, the Library collapses.