• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Strager

General
10 Badges
Jan 9, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
I'm reading in various reviews that the main campaign is only around 20 hours long?!?!?! If this is true, than I am really sad. 40 hours (double this) was the acceptable standard TWENTY YEARS ago (BG2 was 100+ hours) - We need to be holding game developers to a higher standard today - 60-80 hours should be a minimum length at this point.

I've heard the game is great, it's just over before it really begins. Hopefully they will (at least) double the length in the first DLC. I know the DLC for Pillars was a pitiful length, so maybe they are going to reverse the trend here?

Reactions:
I value the quality of a game more than its length. I'm perfectly okay with paying $45 for a 20 hour game, so long as it's a very satisfying experience. I haven't finished the game yet, but from what I've played, it's very good.

Reactions:
Hm i think you are being a bit harsh. The I've not got to far in, but already i has noticed that there are multiple different paths (especially in character conquest mode) there is a lot of replay value--I am already considering starting a new character.

as to the exact length i am not sure how long it is but i am around 6-7 hours in and i don't feel like i am a 1/4 or a 1/5 of the way in yet

Reactions:
I'm reading in various reviews that the main campaign is only around 20 hours long?!?!?! If this is true, than I am really sad. 40 hours (double this) was the acceptable standard TWENTY YEARS ago (BG2 was 100+ hours) - We need to be holding game developers to a higher standard today - 60-80 hours should be a minimum length at this point.

I've heard the game is great, it's just over before it really begins. Hopefully they will (at least) double the length in the first DLC. I know the DLC for Pillars was a pitiful length, so maybe they are going to reverse the trend here?

The DLC Lengths for Pillars wasn't bad at all, to me. I mean I'm sure if you ran straight through it that it wasn't very long. However, I played all the side stuff and the White March Part Part 1 and 2 combined took me quite a while to complete (and I'm not alone). Same with the story for Pillars. I saw people say they completed it in under 20 hours, while others said 80-100. For me, I was well over 90 hours for the game and DLC... I found that to be of great value, as sometimes just dragging the game out doesn't really mean it's a good length or more value. It's about the quality and finding a good mix of that and length. To me, Pillars did that. I'm sure this game will do the same and I will definitely be buying whatever DLC they release, to further extend the game.

20 hours, if true, isn't bad if the game is of high quality. Plus, it seems to have a ton of replay value with all the different decisions that can alter how people treat you. I'd rather want to play it multiple times, than it be so long that I play once and never see how the other stuff can play out.

Reactions:
Hm i think you are being a bit harsh. The I've not got to far in, but already i has noticed that there are multiple different paths (especially in character conquest mode) there is a lot of replay value--I am already considering starting a new character.

as to the exact length i am not sure how long it is but i am around 6-7 hours in and i don't feel like i am a 1/4 or a 1/5 of the way in yet

I can only go based on reviews. I'm not willing to spend $20 (yet alone $50ish) on a 20 hour title in 2016. I really think this is just too short. I'm not saying quality should be compromised - BG2 is a great example of how a game can have an adequate length AND a strong story - and that was done decades ago at this point. I love that they are still making games in this style, but they need to take games to the next level in every measure - not take 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

Reactions:
I can only go based on reviews. I'm not willing to spend $20 (yet alone $50ish) on a 20 hour title in 2016. I really think this is just too short. I'm not saying quality should be compromised - BG2 is a great example of how a game can have an adequate length AND a strong story - and that was done decades ago at this point. I love that they are still making games in this style, but they need to take games to the next level in every measure - not take 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards.

it's longer than 20 hours for most people

Reactions:
It's funny because shooting games, like Call of Duty and Max Payne, are much shorter in length and cost $60 with zero alternative options and endings.

"B-But, the multiplayer!... So much value!"

Reactions:
It's funny because shooting games, like Call of Duty and Max Payne, are much shorter in length and cost $60 with zero alternative options and endings.

"B-But, the multiplayer!... So much value!"

To be fair, Fallout 4 (which was a shooter with RPG elements imho) had a good length for that style game. That being said, there's a reason I stay away from the genre- they just aren't worth the money.

The whole point is the replay value of the game. If you were following the game at all, they stressed this at every chance they got; shorter than other RPGs but with very high replayability.

Plus, 20 hours is if you rush the campaign. With some side quests, reading and combat, it would take around 30 hours at least.

You're acting as if they hid the fact about the game length and charged people without them knowing. This was all announced and known for a long time now.

Reactions:
The whole point is the replay value of the game. If you were following the game at all, they stressed this at every chance they got; shorter than other RPGs but with very high replayability.

Plus, 20 hours is if you rush the campaign. With some side quests, reading and combat, it would take around 30 hours at least.

You're acting as if they hid the fact about the game length and charged people without them knowing. This was all announced and known for a long time now.

Very well said. They have preached replaying the game many times.

Reactions:

I just finished it in 12 hours (Rebel Ending), needless to say I'm a bit disappointed, though I did enjoy what content there was.

Reactions:
I am at around 15-20 hour mark and i don't see my self replaying the game in the next 5 years.The game have a lot of contend but the majority of it is reading.Now i love the old school crpgs and i have replayed a few times the BG and Icewind dale games.But here it is a lot... like 1-2 hours of constant text and nothing else to do.Up until now i have seen around 5 side quests witch are in the main quest areas and feel like fetch quests.The worst thing for me i how they sacrificed the exploration for the "replayability".The game is very linier.You complete a main quest,you go to a new area with a few maps,complete one or two side quest and then you choose witch group of people you want to recruit and then you repeat it again.The game is a good crpg i have fun whit it(i was power gaming it since it came out) ,but it is disappointing.I enjoyed PoE a lot more that this game.

Reactions:
The game can be completed in around 20-30 hours, this is true, but it also has an amazing replay-ability. All the choices you make in the beginning shape the world and just because you finish it doesn't mean you've seen it all ;).

Reactions:
Yep i did all quest i had and it was 21h...kinda disappointing. IMHO this is shorther then PoE.

And PoE was much better in terms of history and immersion. Sad.

Reactions: