• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems that once again France sees fit to strike at a hated for. And once again that Hispania joins in this war against a mutual enemy.

Don't take this as disapproval, quite the opposite truly. But as Chancellor I feel that I must inform you that my Emperor and Hispania has interests in Austrian territory as well.

In particular, the Mediterranean coastline in the Adriatic and the rightful Bavarian land unjustly held by the enemy.

If I were able to present to his Imperial Majesty that France recognizes these and is willing to allow us to gain them in the war, it would a trivial matter to convince him to honor the alliance.

Hispania remembers the Phoenix War and the Ally who stood by us, and the one who didn't. But Hispania's grievances and interests needs to be respected as well.

CqtOYoW.png

We, of course, recognize the claims of Hispania to the Adriatic coast of Italy. It would not do for France to antagonize her enemies, and we would not deign to take territory vital to our greatest ally. And while Hispania's claims to parts of Italy are based on strategic interests, as are our own on western Austria, we also recognize that Austria holds rightful Bavarian land stolen in the past, and it would be a great disservice for that land to be granted to anyone but its rightful owner. His Majesty and his government pledges that if Hispania joins our cause, you will not be slighted and see such land fall into the wrong hands.

However, I believe it must be expressed that there are multiple interests at play here. It would be an insult to our other allies if Hispania received the entire Italian coastline and they in turn received a pittance. Thus while His Majesty and I recognize that Hispania has a claim to the Italian coast, we cannot guarantee it in its entirety. A portion of it, though, is better than nothing at all. Once Austria is in the throes of defeat, we shall include in the peace terms that the coast up to and including Venice be granted to Hispania. Bavaria will receive its lost lands as well. I believe that to seek any more for Hispania will prevent our other honoured allies from receiving their due share, seeing as Germany desires a land connection to their sole Bohemian province and Scandinavia desires Lithuanian land. All shall benefit from this war and Austria will rue the day they betrayed our trust.

- Chancellor of France

CqtOYoW.png

We, of course, recognize the claims of Hispania to the Adriatic coast of Italy. It would not do for France to antagonize her enemies, and we would not deign to take territory vital to our greatest ally. And while Hispania's claims to parts of Italy are based on strategic interests, as are our own on western Austria, we also recognize that Austria holds rightful Bavarian land stolen in the past, and it would be a great disservice for that land to be granted to anyone but its rightful owner. His Majesty and his government pledges that if Hispania joins our cause, you will not be slighted and see such land fall into the wrong hands.

However, I believe it must be expressed that there are multiple interests at play here. It would be an insult to our other allies if Hispania received the entire Italian coastline and they in turn received a pittance. Thus while His Majesty and I recognize that Hispania has a claim to the Italian coast, we cannot guarantee it in its entirety. A portion of it, though, is better than nothing at all. Once Austria is in the throes of defeat, we shall include in the peace terms that the coast up to and including Venice be granted to Hispania. Bavaria will receive its lost lands as well. I believe that to seek any more for Hispania will prevent our other honoured allies from receiving their due share, seeing as Germany desires a land connection to their sole Bohemian province and Scandinavia desires Lithuanian land. All shall benefit from this war and Austria will rue the day they betrayed our trust.

- Chancellor of France

That will prove acceptable. As long as our interests are acknowledged, respected, and fulfilled to a certain extent, Hispania will have no reason to not honor its alliance.

May our Armies be victorious.

((As the negotiation is now over, this little deal is now considered to be public knowledge by Parliament. The Operational Security Act only covers ongoing negotiations.))

As Chancellor of Hispania, I demand an explanation for the violent treatment of our merchants in your countries.

As Chancellor of Hispania, I demand an explanation for the violent treatment of our merchants in your countries.

If you do not know the reason, you are more ignorant than we had even conceived. Your merchants have been selling the dangerous and addictive substance known as opium to our people for decades, full well knowing the negative effect it would have. We have tried to curb the trade of opium, confiscating what we could find and punishing those found using it, even going so far as to outright ban it and outlaw the sale of the product. Despite our efforts, your merchants continue to dispense it to our people in all their greed, and thus we have been forced to take action. Unless you bring an end to the opium trade in Arabia, we refuse to admit any Hispanian merchants into our nation. If Hispania cannot trade with us in a way that shows us proper respect, then we shall not trade with you at all.

((Howdy All, I am very excited to be joining ya'll even though I'm late in the thread. I've skimmed through the most recent history and am now to IAARs so forgive me for any infractions.))

Bio:
Name: Altair Spoleto
Date of Birth: August 17, 1760
Class: Noble
House: The Cortes
Faction: Independent(For now)
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Altair is the eldest son in the Spoleto dynasty, his father the Count of Cremona, has recently taken ill and has vacated his seat in favor of his son. The Spoleto line has long been strong supporters of the merchant class and was granted the countship following the house's support of the crown's actions in Italy, prior to the annexation of Cremona. Altair is now arriving to the court seeking to uphold his father's reputation as a just and wise member of the Cortes. However, he is largley ignorant of the intrigues of politics, and will have much to learn lest he make a fool of himself and his dynasty. While for now he only occupies his father's seat, it is clear to all that as his Fathers heir it will only be a matter of time before he assumes the title of count in his own right.

Reactions:
((private))

Why did the emperor not care for such an oversight?

Liu watched the sunset melding with the city of Canton. Not just figuratively; the city was in flames. Delhi's ancestral hatred for Ming had proved too much. If only there was a garrison there...

No matter. His home was burned, but his allegiance almost never wavered...

For once, I do agree with a call to war. And I must accept another.

Monsieur de Saint-Pierre is entirely right when he said that it was the free decision of the Arabs to trade with us in exchange for opium. We were in no way endebted to them, sack of Mecca or not, after having rebuilt their 'holy' city. Hispania, even though that ideal stops at the doors of the government, has always encouraged free thought, the free decision.

And remember that Hispanians have been attacked! Each citizen of Hispania stands under the protection of His Imperial Highness, and the violent repulsion of our merchants is a challenge of this protection. This is not a simple case of protectionism. If half of what Saint-Pierre says is true, then the Arabs launched an attack on Hispanians who broke no law, a provocation, and Hispania has to intervene to uphold the security of any Hispanian abroad - for what would happen if we leave these raids unpunished?

Though I do doubt that a majority of the trade income comes from the sparsely populated Arabia. It is not Europe, Cathay or India, and the last one has enough trouble recovering from a damaging war... Which is still also costly for Hispania even if the casualty rate is 5.7:1. Nearly one hundred thousand Hispanians fallen, in a land far away from home! That blood toll is high and will be felt for many years. And if you take the many surrenders into consideration, the rate is hardly the same. One Hispanian is not worth six Indians, even if that fits perfectly into the mouths of the Imperial snakes. The truth is that our technological superiority, brought by our encouragement of free thought, made us win and the Indians often surrender.

We have to punish the Arabs, be it through an ultimatum or a punitive expedition! And Austria... France called for the support of its ally, and this call shall of course be honoured. Unlike towards its people, Hispania does keep its diplomatic promises. One of the two will have to change.

But the call shall not be honoured with this pathetic excuse of a negotiation standing at the beginning. 'The Mediterranean coastline and rightful Bavarian land'. This is bound to cause a crisis, even if the French have in the past proven to be trustworthy! We all know how vague the second definition is. Haven't the Greeks continuously demanded the return of 'rightful land' on which no Greek had stood for centuries? How much tension did this cause? Isn't Paris itself 'rightful Roman land'? Depending on how ambitious and well-informed the Bavarians are, they could claim half of Austria as their 'rightful land'!

And Bavaria is still Bavaria! We are the Hispanian Assembly, and the Empress Dowager is the Hispanian Chancellor, against all resistance. Bavaria is a constitutional monarchy. Alfons may be their Duke, but he doesn't have the same rights in Bavaria as he has here - if he still makes any decision himself, which I have come to doubt. When did we last hear something else from our monarch than the usual government declarations? When his own reforms failed! No, you cannot control the Bavarians as you do the emperor, as you do Hispania! They must negotiate for themselves, decide for themselves if they wish to enter the war, for what is the law in Hispania isn't the law in Bavaria!

No, if there has to be a war, then there have to be clear demands avoiding future conflict, and respect for the Bavarian autonomy!

Elementary Education Act of 1783

I. With the enactment of this Act public schools shall be established.​
1. At least a single institution is required to exist per Administrative Area, determined by the The Imperial Governance Act, thus establishing a School District.​
A. Each District will be administered by a School Board who shall answer before the Ministry of Education.
B. Schools are to be funded from taxes paid by Hispanian citizens to make education as affordable as possible.
C. School is to be defined as an institution tasked with the education of children in reading, writing and basic mathematics, staffed by teacher and/or tutors, funded by the Government.​
a. While it is required to educate students in reading and writing in Hispanian as well as basic mathematics, it shall be noted that School Boards are free to expand on the education program and choose additional subjects to teach.​
2. It is to be noted that students at the new Public Elementary Schools shall not abstain from attending Sunday School, or any other such place of religious worship or education.
3. Local Parishes will be able to fulfil the role of a School, if the norms to be classified as a School shall be fulfilled.
4. Any child between the age of 5 and 11 shall be suitable to receive education at Public Elementary Schools.
5. If needed Schools shall provide accommodation for students coming from further parts of the School District, either by allowing students to live in the School building or live with the local Citizens
A. It is to be noted that students may live with the local Citizens only after they have agreed to take the children in. In other cases School shall provide accommodation on the Institution’s grounds.
B. It is also to be noted that the accommodation is to be payed by the parents of students and that if it will not be affordable said student shall be expelled from School.
II. With the enactment of this Act the Ministry of Education will be founded.​
1.The Ministry of Education shall be responsible for administration of School Districts as well as determining if School Boards are fulfilling their roles and upholding to the set standard.​
A. For this task the role of Royal Inspector of Education shall be created. There must be at least one Inspector per District.
2. The role of the Minister of Education shall be created with this act in order to lead the Ministry. He is to be elected each election cycle, and can serve for up to 3 terms in the office.​
A. The Minister will be tasked with setting the standard and determining is everything is working as it should
B. If the norm will not be upheld by at least 60% by the end of his cadency the Minister shall resign without being able to run for the next term.
C. The Minister shall be elected by the Assembly and the Corz.​
a. First two of candidates will be chosen by the lower house. Then, from those two nominees, the upper house will elect the Minister.
b. Only members of the Parliament are allowed to candidate for the position of the Minister of Education.​

Additions to the Elementary Education Act of 1783

1. All children of Hispanian citizens are given the opportunity to attend said schools. Should their families be unable to pay the tuition necessary to attend said schools, local governments shall cover the extra costs.

2. Instruction shall be conducted primarily in Aragonese in addition to the local language of the region the school is located in.

3. Students shall be required to be taught Christian values and loyalty to the emperor in them.

4. A standardized system of accreditation will be established for all universities to best measure the merit and achievements of attending individuals.

I would firstly like to thank you all for the warm welcome I have received in these chambers over the last few days. My father asked for me to convey to you all his thanks for the gifts and letters he has received from members of this assembly. I fervently pray for his swift recovery, and I would ask you all to remember him in your own prayers.

However, though I do hope and pray for my father's swift recovery I do not intend for my time in these halls to be idle. I encourage you all to bring matters before me that you deem of importance. While I am new to the politics of our great empire at large, I have gained much experience in working with the local administrators across Northern Italy, and I intend to work ferociously in becoming knowledgeable of the events across the empire as a whole. This brings me to my next point: The Austria Question.

As many of you who are familiar with my father know, my father fought valiantly on the side of the crown in the civil war that so recently split our nation. While many of the populace originally supported the Phoenixes our family proudly stood by the crown. Following the faction's bribery of the Austrian crown our sovereign lands we were able to rally many of the Northern Italian provinces behind the crown.

This diplomacy turned out to be naught but a moral victory, Austrian troops swarmed into northern Italy causing havoc among the territories that refused to betray the crown. For the rebels, the Austrians had been bought and paid for, the Phoenixes cared not a bit for their brothers and sisters in Italy. My Father and the Imperial supporters he could convince to follow him fled to France. Him and several members of our house guard proved their worth in the battle of Savoie, turning back the Austrian army.

He then followed the French forces to Draguignan, where he led a valiant attack against General Blanco's left flank exposing the Phoenix artillery. However, when my father returned home after the war our estate had been put to the torch. The vile Austrians had taken everything of value and burnt down the centuries old manor in revenge for the damages done to them during the war.

While the provinces were returned to the empire in the peace, the memory of the atrocities committed by the Austrians are still fresh in the memory of many living in Northern Italy. My father always spoke to this council of his distrust of the Austrians. And I ask all of you to remember these deeds when considering if it is right for us to wage war against the Austrians. I was very pleased to hear of the Empress Dowagers negotiations with the French regarding this situation.

I fully support any and all actions by this great nation against the tyranny of the Austrians. They have been left to fester in central Europe for too long, it is well past time that we work with our true Allies in France, and our new friends in Bavaria to protect our lands. I envision one day a Mediterranean fully secured by our great empire, and the evil empire of Austria stands in our way.

The way forward for our merchants, our allies, and our people, all lie in securing rightfully Hispanian interests in northern Italy. While I hope and pray that war will never again befall our homelands, that is a risk that myself, my family, and the people of Cremona are willing to incur to put to end the Austrian threat for good. I hope that the other members of the empire will find it in themselves to support my vision.

Ad Coronam,
Altair Spoleto
Heir to the County of Cremona

((Ministers Plan.

Join war with France against Austria (may be part of our vote but if it's a split vote or really close, it would make sense to have a backup.)

After the war is over and we have armies that do not need to fight anymore, war with Yemen to forcibly open the borders to trade and to take the city of Aden.
))

I believe that the Bavarian Parliament will not mind that I negotiated on their behalf. In fact, should the Emperor permit, I will personally write a letter to them to inform them of my actions and we will see how they feel.

((Assume the Bavarians get told if you like Mike.))

((War minister plan: move troops to the borders with Austria, Yemen, and Persia in preparation for war.))

((Let's get voting.

President: Hillary Clinton/Donald Trump

Answer France's Call-to-arms: Yes/No/Abstain
Elementary Education Act of 1783: Yes/No/Abstain
Amendment to Elementary Education Act: Yes/No/Abstain

Mission: Trade/Overextension/Gorontalo/Abstain
National Focus: Admin/Diplo/Military/None/Abstain

The vote will last until Saturday at 12PM PST. Please bold your votes and include your character's name, class, party, and house.

LjGJyZ7.jpg
))

Answer France's Call-to-arms: No
Elementary Education Act of 1783: Yes
Amendment to Elementary Education Act: No

Mission: Overextension
National Focus: Admin

*A visibly tired and gently wheezing Arceo rises to speak*

"Once again, the Empress Dowager is pushing for our involvement in another French-initiated war. This is especially disturbing as it *cough* comes so soon after our involvement in another conflict. The French are clearly abusing our relationship to aid in their efforts to destabilize the European balance of power. I believe we made it clear that we did not approve of France's attack on the Austrians in the first instance, and thus must administer a punishment upon them in the form of our non-intervention in the war, or even perhaps an intervention on the opposing side in the defense of the European order."

*After the conclusion of the day's session of the Assembly, Arceo returned to his temporary lodgings in the capital. After telling his aide that he intended to take a rest in his room, he is believed to have quietly passed away in his sleep*

Answer France's Call-to-arms: No
Elementary Education Act of 1783: Yes
Amendment to Elementary Education Act: No

Mission: Overextension
National Focus: Admin

*A visibly tired and gently wheezing Arceo rises to speak*

"Once again, the Empress Dowager is pushing for our involvement in another French-initiated war. This is especially disturbing as it *cough* comes so soon after our involvement in another conflict. The French are clearly abusing our relationship to aid in their efforts to destabilize the European balance of power. I believe we made it clear that we did not approve of France's attack on the Austrians in the first instance, and thus must administer a punishment upon them in the form of our non-intervention in the war, or even perhaps an intervention on the opposing side in the defense of the European order."

*After the conclusion of the day's session of the Assembly, Arceo returned to his temporary lodgings in the capital. After telling his aide that he intended to take a rest in his room, he is believed to have quietly passed away in his sleep*

Do you truly expect a loyal Hispanian to support a nation that betrayed us in the Phoenix War?

Do you truly expect a diplomat to allow the influence we have gained with the Valois, our greatest Ally who is the only nation in Europe with a connection with the Iberian heartland, wither after centuries of mutual support?

Do you truly expect a mother to stand by an allow another nation to humiliate and insult her daughter?

JUAN AUGUSTO ADRIÁN DE SALCEDO
Barón del Balcón de las Marcas
zM9twNc.png

Date of birth:
August 28, 1749

Class:
Aristocrat

Religion:
Catholic

Bio:
A nobleman by birthright, De Salcedo was born into an Ascendencia family of the Italian Marche. Through his family's wealth, he was afforded the finest education available in Italia, where he began to develop a deep interest in the political battles of the Parliament - often finding a shared perspective with the Camponistas - and in the lack of representation afforded to his class of the nobility. Fueled by these interests, in 1776, De Salcedo was elected for the first time to the Assembly, and with the recent passing of the Minister of the Interior, has become a favorite to become the new Parliamentary leader of the Camponistas.

((Private))

Emperor Alfons IX stood with his 14-year-old son Pere right outside the palace, watching a carriage roll though the gate and around the grand marble fountain decorating the courtyard. In the carriage was the young Jeanne de Valois, niece of Emperor Charles VIII of France. A marriage with the French Valois line was imperative in ensuring strong relations between the two most powerful royal families in Europe. As the Valois line spread, there was the growing fear that they would start relying on their own and see no need to keep on such good terms with Hispania. Alfons certainly wasn't going to allow that bond to fray any time soon. With Austria lost forever as an ally, Valois France and Scandinavia could not be lost. Hispania may be strong, but it would not be wise to isolate themselves. A marriage or two would keep those ties strong.

The two of them remained silent as the carriage rolled up. Pere was not one for talking, perhaps because of his speech impediment. The entire left side of his face was partially paralyzed and had been since he was a toddler. The paralysis made the skin under his left eye droop and the edge of his mouth curl down slightly, and he tended to talk with a stutter. Alfons was reminded of it as Pere looked over at him and smiled, giving an unintended half-smirk that was becoming his trademark, a result of only half his mouth curling up in a smile. The Emperor supposed it wasn't the worst thing that could happen, although he had seen the frustration Pere had with it at times. He glanced over at his son, who had a drop of drool starting to form on the paralyzed side of his mouth. His tutor, a stern old woman who spent her time instilling the ways of the court into the boy, already had a handkerchief in her hand and was ready to wipe the drool away. For once, Pere was ahead of her and wiped it away with his sleeve, much to the tutor's chagrin as it left a wet stain on the Crown Prince's shirt. Judging by the slightly darker patches of fabric, that happened far too often than it should. The tutor rolled her eyes but remained silent. At least she was an improvement over the last one. He'd caught the last tutor raving that Pere's disability was a result of his Greek blood. Alfons had had her dismissed before the Empress Dowager got word of that statement, more for the tutor's sake than anyone else's.

When the carriage finally pulled near the doors, Pere straightened his shirt. A smack on the back from his tutor had him standing up straight as well. Alfons did his best to keep a straight face. He distracted himself by paying full attention to his guests. The carriage door opened and a servant rushed over to help a young girl and middle-aged woman step down from the carriage, the French Emperor's niece and the Crown Princess The girl was a tiny thing, not that surprising since she was only twelve. Her womanly figure was just starting to show, but her face was still that of a child. While her mother carried herself with an air of grace, the girl remained timid and kept her eyes to the ground.

"Welcome to Valencia, my lady," Alfons said, bowing to the girl's mother.

The Crown Princess curtsied and offered her hand. "The honour is mine, Your Imperial Highness."

Alfons took her hand and guided her towards the palace. Pere fell in step beside Jeanne. The girl's eyes kept darting around at all the guards and servants swarming around. Most likely she was anxious about being in a new place, and perhaps considering the circumstances for why she'd been brought to Valencia. Pere didn't seem to mind her nervousness. He offered his hand, which she gingerly took. She blushed as he led her behind Alfons, but the Crown Prince didn't seem to notice her reaction. Neither did Jeanne's mother notice the discomfort of her child as she pulled out a lace fan and started fanning herself.

"The air is dreadfully humid here compared to Paris."

Alfons merely nodded his head as they walked through the palace. They passed by various pieces of art, but the Crown Princess seemed unimpressed. The best pieces had been destroyed during the Hispanian Civil War, so he supposed what was left wasn't all that impressive compared to what the French possessed. As they neared the study where they could discuss business, the Crown Princess stopped abruptly, Pere nearly walking right into her in the process. She stared up at one painting depicting the Empress Dowager carrying the young Emperor like a sack of potatoes through the burning streets of Valencia during their flight from the capital.

"My, that is quite a scene," the Crown Princess said. "I am surprised you would allow an artist to paint such an appalling event so humiliating to your royal person."

Alfons took a moment to look over the painting. It certainly brought back memories, perhaps not the most pleasant ones. He didn't like to think about the Civil War. Yet he knew he should never forget, for it was a symbol of the chaos that could ensue if he ever gave up. He turned to the Crown Princess and said, "I find it rather humbling."

The Crown Princess looked the painting over again and suppressed a sneer. "If you say so."

A series of giggles came from behind them, causing the Crown Princess to snap her head in that direction. Apparently the two young royals, while waiting for their parents to move on, had taken notice of a particular classic that failed to properly cover the modesty of those in the painting. The two of them were still at the age where nudity was hilarious, especially when those depicted either had a small manhood or flat chest.

The Crown Princess surely wasn't amused. "Jeanne! Compose yourself!"

Jeanne snapped to attention like a soldier, her face beet red. The Crown Princess scowled and turned back around. The two youngsters eyed each other, biting their lips to keep from laughing. Alfons did his best to keep from laughing at their display. An icy look from the Crown Princess sobered him up. "Shall we discuss business then?"

"Ah, yes, the marriage," the Crown Princess said as the group finally reached the study. "It would be an honour to see my daughter wed to the Crown Prince of Hispania."

"So His Imperial Highness is in agreement then? And the Crown Prince?" Alfons asked. Glancing between the Crown Princess and her daughter, he added, "And where is the Crown Prince? I expected he would be joining us."

"He had to remain in France," the Crown Princess said, resting her hands on a mahogany table. "What with war with Austria beginning, my husband may be needed. I am to settle this marriage business in his stead."

Alfons sat down in a velvet-lined seat and bade the Crown Princess to do the same. Pere and Jeanne were off to the side examining a globe. The girl seemed to be pointing places out and telling the boy about them, him nodding in interest. Pere had never taken well to his studies, so seeing him genuinely interested in anything was a godsend. Perhaps this marriage would be good for him.

The next while was spent hashing out a marriage agreement. It was not a difficult endeavour, for it was clear that France wanted the match as much as Hispania. It seemed given that it would go ahead regardless. It was soon decided that the two would be wed the next year after Jeanne's thirteenth birthday. As they worked out the details, Alfons didn't fail to take notice of the future couple quietly talking across the room. He didn't know what they were discussing, but it was clear that neither of them were lost for words. It was rare to see his son speak so much with anyone. If the girl was bothered by his speech impediment, she didn't show it. Yes, this match would be good for Pere indeed.

When the arrangements were finally made, the Crown Princess handed Alfons an envelope. "A letter from Scandinavia," she said. "I was told to deliver this to you on behalf of the Regent."

Alfons took the envelope, pealed off the wax with the Valois seal printed into it, and read over the letter. He smiled as he read its contents. The Regent of Scandinavia had agreed to a betrothal between the young king of Scandinavia and Alfons's daughter Clara. Two Valois marriages secured in one day. Hispania would be better of with these arrangements in place. Blood ties tended to bring nations together.

"Good news, I presume," the Crown Princess said.

"Very." Alfons placed the letter down and rose from his seat. "Now that our business is concluded, I shall have the servants escort you to your quarters."

The Crown Princess gave a small curtsy and followed a servant out of the room. She waved over Jeanne to follow her, which took some vigorous hand motions before the girl separated from Pere. The Crown Prince waved goodbye to his future wife. As they left the study, the Crown Princess muttered a little too loudly, "I hope my room has plenty of windows. I don't know how I'll sleep in this dreadful heat."

After they had left, Pere walked over to his father. They stood beside each other for a minute in silence staring at the door the two women had left through. Then the boy looked up at Alfons, that half-smirk on his face. "Will Jeanne be s-s-staying in the p-p-palace for awhile?"

"Worried I might send your new girlfriend away?" Alfons said with a smirk.

Pere blushed and scrunched up the non-paralyzed side of his face in what was clearly faked disgust. "She's not my g-g-girlfriend!" He wiped away a glob of spit forming in the corner of his mouth, using his hand to hide his reddening face. "She's just... nice. The other k-k-kids living in the palace aren't like her."

Alfons nodded, fully understanding what Pere meant. Finding children to play or spend time with a royal child was a difficult enough business, but it was made even more so when those children had the tendency to make fun of anyone for their disabilities. More than once Alfons had come across Pere by himself crying as a child because the other children had made fun of his speech impediment. He supposed it was rare for anyone his age to treat him with proper respect and kindness.

Alfons let a smile spread across his face as he looked down at his son. "I expect she'll be spending a very long time here. A very long time indeed."