Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters - Dev Diary 4: Tornadoes and Shelters

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm really excited for this as well. It's very much what players wanted (maybe not ALL, but many.) To chime in on earthquakes, cracks in the ground admittedly aren't very realistic, and earthquakes are more something you FEEL than see. That said, there's always making the skyscrapers sway in a seriously unsettling way.....

Uh oh... I just watched this and something I spotted worries me more than the disasters...
At 4.06 you will see the thumbnail for the large shelter.
This will provide shelter for 10,000 Cims
It costs ¢1600 per week for upkeep
Purchase cost is ¢74,000
So... if I have a small city of 100k Cims and want to provide shelter for all of them, I would need ten of these, which will cost the city:
¢16000 per week
¢174000 to build
Double that for a city of 200k, triple that for a city of 300k and so on.
OMG!
That isn't even taking into account the footprint for these relatively large structures. The large European secondary schools were troublesome enough but you didn't need ten of them for a 100k city. Twenty to thirty of these big buggers for a city of 200-300k? That's insane.
Well this game was in desperate need of a cash sink I suppose and now we've got it lol.

this is sooo cool, cars and everything can get affected by disasters. what about trains, boats and planes? and trams? do they get affected too? it would be cool if we can see plane goes crazy when hitting tornadoes or tram sinks when the road get sinkhole or boat get wash up with the tsunami.

can wait for this DLC also. this is freaking awesome DLC. one more thing, is there a feature where random disaster can happen in city? like official mod or specialized option for turning on and off the random disaster?

Certain vehicles are immune to the disasters as it cause quite a bit of problems in gameplay if everything gets sucked into a tornado for example. We need to find a balance between immersion and playability.

Random disasters can be turned on and off in the settings :)

Love it!

In the video at time 0.14 - Is this a new sewer? Or some (not jet mentioned) extra ???

Yes.

Just a question, is there a feature that you can use the district zone tool to evacuate citizens in a certain area? That would be nice to get people evacuated in the meteorite so the congestion is not as bad and then the evacuation process is faster.

The placing of the shelter matters as it will have the area around it that people can get there on their own. On top of that you can build evacuation routes for buses to pick up people from further away.

@Co_Karoliina I can't wait to get this expansion! It's going to be great!
Are there any surprise buildings that are coming with this DLC? I just saw what looked like a massive radio mast in that trailer!

There are some new buildings coming and we should cover at least most of them in future dev diaries :)

I recently watched the stream on twitch and the ingame trailer, and when I saw cars flooded away from the tsunami I was impressed as I haven't expected this level of detail because atm cars aren't flooded away by water so I thought this won't be affected. destruction effects look really great and finally destroyed roads were shown. I 'm also happy that you implemented a repair button for destroyed ploppable service buildings, so we don't have to bulldoze and rebuild them - usability increase is fine :)
I also like having new challenges in sandbox mode :)

The more infos you reveal - the more I get happy as I see you implemented lots of suggested features!

What will happen when a tornado hits a lake - will water be pulled into the air or is it not affected?

Will there be also a dev diary after all features have been introduced about general changes (game engine, fixes, a list of tweaks, changes, ...) ?

I also was wondering, if we can make scenarios multilingual e.g. for the chirp feature?

Tornado hitting a lake doesn't splash water around, though now I have some funny images in my head how that would look :D

In the dev diaries we mostly cover the new features, but let's see if there's time to include one about general stuff. Though the version log will cover most of it.

What do you mean making the scenarios multilingual? I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand. You can write the chirps and messages yourself in any language you want. HA! Or do you mean would they be localised?

Really impressed with the Tornadoes and Tsunamis

The Earthquakes not as much. Just looks like buildings being demolished (as normal) en masse. Wishing those buildings would crack and crumble, and see large gaping cracks on the ground.

One can't have it all I'm afraid :(

Uh oh... I just watched this and something I spotted worries me more than the disasters...
At 4.06 you will see the thumbnail for the large shelter.
This will provide shelter for 10,000 Cims
It costs ¢1600 per week for upkeep
Purchase cost is ¢74,000
So... if I have a small city of 100k Cims and want to provide shelter for all of them, I would need ten of these, which will cost the city:
¢16000 per week
¢174000 to build
Double that for a city of 200k, triple that for a city of 300k and so on.
OMG!
That isn't even taking into account the footprint for these relatively large structures. The large European secondary schools were troublesome enough but you didn't need ten of them for a 100k city. Twenty to thirty of these big buggers for a city of 200-300k? That's insane.
Well this game was in desperate need of a cash sink I suppose and now we've got it lol.

Nor can you save them all :(

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We'll tune in next week with more information about the expansion and it's fantastic to see you guys excited about the disasters :)

Reactions:
It sure looks that way. Even if one could manage to afford the cost of these measures, the response time from getting an impending disaster alert and the impact doesn't seem long enough to evacuate a single shelter to full capacity let alone all of the shelters that would be necessary for the total population. But that's life eh? Save who you can and rebuild with the survivors - or at least provide the impression that you tried.
It is effectively a very expensive measure to make it look like you are doing something that is necessary.
I don't believe it is necessary, since as long as you can afford the clean up and repairs, the city would spring back to life and regrow in no time at all in any case. We have seen this before with accidental or deliberate poisoning of the city due to water contamination. So, it does indeed seem that we have a hard mayor's call to provide a minimum disaster insurance and then maximum disaster relief to pick up the pieces.

Certain vehicles are immune to the disasters as it cause quite a bit of problems in gameplay if everything gets sucked into a tornado for example. We need to find a balance between immersion and playability.

Random disasters can be turned on and off in the settings :)

Yes.

The placing of the shelter matters as it will have the area around it that people can get there on their own. On top of that you can build evacuation routes for buses to pick up people from further away.

There are some new buildings coming and we should cover at least most of them in future dev diaries :)

Tornado hitting a lake doesn't splash water around, though now I have some funny images in my head how that would look :D

In the dev diaries we mostly cover the new features, but let's see if there's time to include one about general stuff. Though the version log will cover most of it.

What do you mean making the scenarios multilingual? I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand. You can write the chirps and messages yourself in any language you want. HA! Or do you mean would they be localised?

One can't have it all I'm afraid :(

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We'll tune in next week with more information about the expansion and it's fantastic to see you guys excited about the disasters :)

Looks promising and more stuff filled than snowfall from week to week, and can't wait to get my hands on it. Is there little disasters in the game such as economic crisis, epidemic, crime wave (incresing the chances of arsons, prison breaks, etc), worker strikes that shuts down instantly service buildings (strike of the bus driveres will shut down all bus garage; or a taxi driver strike will cause a taxi car blockade in some intersections making a big traffic jam). Just for an other layer of challenges to test our mayor skills and the infrastructure of the city.

Is there little disasters in the game such as economic crisis, epidemic, crime wave (incresing the chances of arsons, prison breaks, etc), worker strikes that shuts down instantly service buildings (strike of the bus driveres will shut down all bus garage; or a taxi driver strike will cause a taxi car blockade in some intersections making a big traffic jam). Just for an other layer of challenges to test our mayor skills and the infrastructure of the city.
Nope, none of that.
Paying for the disaster detection, evacuation facilities and damage control/clean up services could be enough to cause an economic crisis even before a disaster hit.
There is no risk of crime waves as long as you have sufficient police coverage.
There is no risk of arson for a chance of it to increase when there is no arson.
Prison breaks? Meh, they'll just be caught and imprisoned again.
No strikes whatsoever and why should they strike? They don't have any wages to complain about ;)

Reactions:

Yes, I wanted to know, if there is a possibility to write chirps for a specific language, so yes localisation.
I write one chirp in english and as a scenerio creator I can provide for this chirp other localised texts for official supported languages.
Eg. some mods adding chirps have localised texts for different languages.
If not we wouldn't get scenarios with localised chirps, and most of them would be english, so everybody can read them.

But I think this is something general, more deep technical, because I don't know if it's possible for asset creators too, to provide localised descriptions of buildings?
I know this isn't an easy task, because every dialog, every text provided from asset creators would be nice if they could be localised, but I don't know if CS is yet able to handle this?
If it's not possible for now, it would be fine for the future, to localise everything, even user created content.
=> description texts, modded chirps would alltogether be displayed in the same language and a seamless experience :)

This is something which I feel is important, but I don't think that all users care about that much.
Anyway would be nice, but it wouldn't be a show stopping incident.

No strikes whatsoever and why should they strike?
High taxes. It would be nice, if you set taxes too high people would actually go for rant, demolishing public buildings, desctroy public transport buses, ...
Eg. if the game would simulate more social behaviours (light residental people with low income, medium and high income, homless people, ...) and you set taxes too high, the group with low income would get easily upset and starting to riot.
It would be also nice for some social effects like homeless people, high income people prefer living in light residental villas, ...

=> We could have social conflicts and actually see even slums, districts with poorly educated low income people, medium educated, ...
So we could get more a feeling of social behaviour. Atm everyone is 100% happy, good income, ...
And happiness should be related with income.
And we could see even singles living in a house, families in villas, ...
But I think somebody also write suggestions for a city which grows based on happiness and not wealth based.

I could imagine such game changing mechanics for a future DLC, because that would be too much work for a free update, and if we get a more detailed simulation here with deeper game changing effects and increased complexity would be a very very nice addition I would pay for the next DLC ;-)

Grapplehoeker said:
No strikes whatsoever and why should they strike?

High taxes. It would be nice, if you set taxes too high people would actually go for rant, demolishing public buildings, desctroy public transport buses, ...
Eg. if the game would simulate more social behaviours (light residental people with low income, medium and high income, homless people, ...) and you set taxes too high, the group with low income would get easily upset and starting to riot.
It would be also nice for some social effects like homeless people, high income people prefer living in light residental villas, ...

=> We could have social conflicts and actually see even slums, districts with poorly educated low income people, medium educated, ...
So we could get more a feeling of social behaviour. Atm everyone is 100% happy, good income, ...
And happiness should be related with income.
And we could see even singles living in a house, families in villas, ...
But I think somebody also write suggestions for a city which grows based on happiness and not wealth based.

I could imagine such game changing mechanics for a future DLC, because that would be too much work for a free update, and if we get a more detailed simulation here with deeper game changing effects and increased complexity would be a very very nice addition I would pay for the next DLC ;-)
Firstly, workers do not strike because of taxation.
There is no wealth or class system in the game. There is no wealth difference between an unemployed Cim living in a low residential shack or an employed cim living in a high residential apartment, or vice versa.
Why? Because they have no income. There is no welfare payment to the unemployed and the employed gain no wages from employment.
Cims do not even own their homes, so it makes no difference in their taxes where they live.
There are no homeless Cims.
When taxes are set too high by you, then it will affect their happiness. when happiness falls below a threshold, Cims won't riot, they'll just pack up and leave.
So... the game is already based on happiness and not on wealth. If you understood this you wouldn't be wishing for it ;)
In any case, this is entirely a different topic and has nothing to do with natural disasters. Feel free to start a new thread in general discussions and I'll be happy to enlighten you some more there.

There is no wealth or class system in the game. There is no wealth difference between an unemployed Cim living in a low residential shack or an employed cim living in a high residential apartment, or vice versa.
Why? Because they have no income. There is no welfare payment to the unemployed and the employed gain no wages from employment.
Cims do not even own their homes, so it makes no difference in their taxes where they live.
When taxes are set too high by you, then it will affect their happiness. when happiness falls below a threshold, Cims won't riot, they'll just pack up and leave.
So... the game is already based on happiness and not on wealth. If you understood this you wouldn't be wishing for it ;)
In any case, this is entirely a different topic and has nothing to do with natural disasters. Feel free to start a new thread in general discussions and I'll be happy to enlighten you some more there.

I understand it, but making an event is not necessearly need a whole wealth system. Just like disasters also doesn't need a full weather system to happen, or astrological system to catch a meteor - they just happen if your city reach a certain size or it meets the requirments to give you challenge. Of course it would be the best if behind of theese events have a full system that would make an impact on the cims life, and on the whole city, but making just a whole wealth system into the game is a big deal, maybe in the future Cities Skylines 2.

I understand it, but making an event is not necessearly need a whole wealth system. Just like disasters also doesn't need a full weather system to happen, or astrological system to catch a meteor - they just happen if your city reach a certain size or it meets the requirments to give you challenge. Of course it would be the best if behind of theese events have a full system that would make an impact on the cims life, and on the whole city, but making just a whole wealth system into the game is a big deal, maybe in the future Cities Skylines 2.
What you're suggesting is an economical/social disaster, not a natural disaster and so it is off topic.

Reactions:

You didn't get what I actually meant - I thought it would be nice, to have a more complex simulation in the future regarding people - they should have an income.
I do know, that residential people have no income, and that's the point - it would be nice for the simulation part to have - and we could see a more social / economic layer.
I do know the points you mentioned, it's just a wish how I could get - in my point of view - even better and a more logic gameplay for the future.

The point regarding cims just leaving when taxes are too high was a point I thought of, but haven't written. It would be nice if there's more things to happen - more escalation steps (don't know if it's correct translated).
First: people with low income get very fast upset, because they can't afford daily needs (food, petrol for the car, paying the rent for a flat, ...).
Second: They start vandalism - crime increase
Third: They leave city, because it's too expensive to have a fullfilling life in the city.
Fourth: people with high income and a higher education level just decrease happiness, but the economy simulation (visiting commercial areas) is as usal
Fifth: ... there could be much effects

This whole thing just came up to my mind when I read your question why people should strike.
I was thinking on situations were eg. amazon, DHL workers are striking because of bad working circumstances.
And I was thinking - hey when taxes (paye taxes, value added taxes) are too high, people earn less money and they can't go as often shopping as they would like.
And the whole simulation part is more affected of different actions/taxes/policies the player sets up.

It's always hard to simulate something that might won't work in a game and isn't fun playing, but I wanted to CO know, what in my opinion will make them getting money from me.
But yeah, it's off topic here, I just thought it's fitting to the questing regarding strikes.

Reactions:
Although it was nowhere on my list of "wants/must haves" for the game the Natural Disasters & scenario editor dlc does look increasingly interesting and attractive. The problem is that the community is a broad church with a wide variety of views as to how the game should develop with emphasis on so many different niche elements. As a result many will be disappointed no matter what route CO & Paradox decide to develop. I was initially underwhelmed by the ND announcement and against the expansion but as more info and examples of gameplay emerge I have warmed to it and can see the potential. I love the creative element of the game and the very notion of destroying my cities ran counter to my views. I now look forward to the challenges of redevelopment as I see the phoenix rise from the ashes. It brings a whole new set of flavours to the game. I do hope that CO do a bit more work on the earthquake simulation which is currently less than convincing but I'm aware that it's still a "work in progress". Is there any word on a release date? CO did mention "before Christmas" at one point but looks like that date has slipped to early 2017.

this is sooo cool, cars and everything can get affected by disasters. what about trains, boats and planes? and trams? do they get affected too? it would be cool if we can see plane goes crazy when hitting tornadoes or tram sinks when the road get sinkhole or boat get wash up with the tsunami.

can wait for this DLC also. this is freaking awesome DLC. one more thing, is there a feature where random disaster can happen in city? like official mod or specialized option for turning on and off the random disaster?

No kidding.
Is there an approximate release date? @co_martsu?

Yes but will steam workshop buildings? get destroyed too or they will cause the game to glitch or the dlc because they aren't modified to get destroyed? or should we delete them before installing the expansion

No kidding.
The approximate date has always been "winter" or before the end of the year.
I'll bet they'll be working their lil butts off to get the DLC out before they all go off for their xmas break ;)

Yes, I wanted to know, if there is a possibility to write chirps for a specific language, so yes localisation.
I write one chirp in english and as a scenerio creator I can provide for this chirp other localised texts for official supported languages.
Eg. some mods adding chirps have localised texts for different languages.
If not we wouldn't get scenarios with localised chirps, and most of them would be english, so everybody can read them.

But I think this is something general, more deep technical, because I don't know if it's possible for asset creators too, to provide localised descriptions of buildings?
I know this isn't an easy task, because every dialog, every text provided from asset creators would be nice if they could be localised, but I don't know if CS is yet able to handle this?
If it's not possible for now, it would be fine for the future, to localise everything, even user created content.
=> description texts, modded chirps would alltogether be displayed in the same language and a seamless experience :)

This is something which I feel is important, but I don't think that all users care about that much.
Anyway would be nice, but it wouldn't be a show stopping incident.

I understand. Unfortunately this is not supported at the moment but I will have the team look into it. We'll have to estimate how big of a task it would be and then see if it's doable or not.

Although it was nowhere on my list of "wants/must haves" for the game the Natural Disasters & scenario editor dlc does look increasingly interesting and attractive. The problem is that the community is a broad church with a wide variety of views as to how the game should develop with emphasis on so many different niche elements. As a result many will be disappointed no matter what route CO & Paradox decide to develop. I was initially underwhelmed by the ND announcement and against the expansion but as more info and examples of gameplay emerge I have warmed to it and can see the potential. I love the creative element of the game and the very notion of destroying my cities ran counter to my views. I now look forward to the challenges of redevelopment as I see the phoenix rise from the ashes. It brings a whole new set of flavours to the game. I do hope that CO do a bit more work on the earthquake simulation which is currently less than convincing but I'm aware that it's still a "work in progress". Is there any word on a release date? CO did mention "before Christmas" at one point but looks like that date has slipped to early 2017.

Thanks for the feedback! We'll have the Natural Disasters released during this year still :)

No kidding.

Paradox will set the date and announce it when they are ready, we'll focus on polishing the expansion now for it to happen soon!

Yes but will steam workshop buildings? get destroyed too or they will cause the game to glitch or the dlc because they aren't modified to get destroyed? or should we delete them before installing the expansion

It should work as the collapse works like the building animation for the buildings and is not depended on the building model itself.

I just want to drop a nuke on my city, is the death of millions to much to ask? ;(

Yes, it is. Drop a meteor instead ;)

Reactions: