UPDATED 08/10/19 - Forum is being unlocked! (Connect your Steam account to sync your Owned Items!)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately, as soon as I disconnect the Steam account, all of the games not fulfilling criteria 1 or 2 disappear from the PDX account. No amount of syncing, signing out and re-logging helped.
If you've disconnected your steam account, I don't think syncing is going to do anything. You're syncing your account with the connected steam account. No connected account? No sync.

If you've disconnected your steam account, I don't think syncing is going to do anything. You're syncing your account with the connected steam account. No connected account? No sync.
I meant that I connected the Steam account, then synced so the forum account will "know" about any new games, then disconnected the Steam account [after a day or so].
My problem is that the forum account does not retain [so to speak] the new information it gets from Steam.

I meant that I connected the Steam account, then synced so the forum account will "know" about any new games, then disconnected the Steam account [after a day or so].
My problem is that the forum account does not retain [so to speak] the new information it gets from Steam.
I don't think it is meant to retain that information, so the situation you are describing is likely WAD.

Unfortunately, as soon as I disconnect the Steam account, all of the games not fulfilling criteria 1 or 2 disappear from the PDX account. No amount of syncing, signing out and re-logging helped.
This is the way it is designed. If you break the connection with your Steam account you will loose access since access is granted is based on product ownership.

In short, if you:
Connect Steam > Sync > Disconnect Steam icons will be lost as well as access and this is WAD (Working As Designed). If we didn't have this requirement users could share their Steam account to all their friends and grant them access to forums for games they don't own.

Reactions:
This is the way it is designed. If you break the connection with your Steam account you will loose access since access is granted is based on product ownership.

In short, if you:
Connect Steam > Sync > Disconnect Steam icons will be lost as well as access and this is WAD (Working As Designed). If we didn't have this requirement users could share their Steam account to all their friends and grant them access to forums for games they don't own.
I guess the API you use only lets you determine that someone owns a given product, without providing a GUID identifying which specific copy it is?
So if users got to keep them, there'd be no way to revoke them if the Steam account was connected to a different PDX account?

Reactions:
Each game on Steam has a unique identifier and this is mapped to a specific item in our database. The item in our database has a SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) that identifies what version of the game you own (for example Stellaris has three different SKUs, one for each edition). This SKU is then mapped towards the Owned Item part of the forum and grants access and/or icons.

We can't see your CD key for example nor can we see any specific details of your copy other than which version. The only exception to this is if it's bought from Paradox Plaza, then we see the CD key as well as transaction ID (as they are needed for support matters).

Reactions:
If we didn't have this requirement users could share their Steam account to all their friends and grant them access to forums for games they don't own.
So if users got to keep them, there'd be no way to revoke them if the Steam account was connected to a different PDX account?
Oh well, good to know I guess.
I just assumed it checked for actual ownership per account [family share falls under this?] and updated some sort of access list on the forum.

Aa no, sadly not. Our API call to Steam is quite simple and something along the lines of "What Paradox product identifiers does this account have and what SKUs do they translate to?". We don't get much information from Steam, we actually don't even see the account name :p.

Reactions:
Could you please confirm it IT**?
It seems a bit unintuitive and frankly odd.

**I'm not sure who to contact.
If a game stops being published by PI you actually lose that icon.

Each game on Steam has a unique identifier and this is mapped to a specific item in our database. The item in our database has a SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) that identifies what version of the game you own (for example Stellaris has three different SKUs, one for each edition). This SKU is then mapped towards the Owned Item part of the forum and grants access and/or icons.

We can't see your CD key for example nor can we see any specific details of your copy other than which version. The only exception to this is if it's bought from Paradox Plaza, then we see the CD key as well as transaction ID (as they are needed for support matters).
If you purchased a game through the PI store and PI loses rights to it, do you then retain the icon due to having purchased it from the PI store?

What happens if the box won't check on the Steam connect? I signed in and everything, clicked Allow under Steam and then it says it's connecting my account...but then it just doesn't connect. Tried it a few times, no error messages or anything it just doesn't connect.

Edit: Nevermind, it was associated with an old account and I disconnected it there and reconnected it here, and everything seems to be connected now afaik

Last edited:
OK, my Paradox account was synced. That my Paradox account can be synced with Steam while my Paradox Forum account is synced with neither, would seem to be an awfully user unfriendly thing. Thanks for helping me past the difference; I'm now able to access the bug forums.

Reactions:
There is no separate Paradox forum account - your forum name is just an attribute of your Paradox account.

You connect (but do not sync) your Paradox and Steam accounts, which automatically populates your Games list here; as new Paradox games get added to your Steam account they will appear there automatically (as it's really just a Paradox-game-only view into your Steam games list).

Then you do a Sync Owned Items which registers the Steam games into your Paradox account, displaying on the forums as icons. That has to be re-done each time you add anything in Steam as it's not automated. IOW there's only one sync process.

Hey

I've connected my account, however I still can't reach the HoI4 modding forum.
So I would need some help :)

Maybe it's because of the Probation status, I've PM'd you as well Tiny.

David

Reactions:
That is correct, Probation restricts your forum access, as you've discovered.

You'll need to see the mod's page in the Steam Workshop until the probation expires.

That is correct, Probation restricts your forum access, as you've discovered.

You'll need to see the mod's page in the Steam Workshop until the probation expires.

Okay, thanks for the answer.

I have recently added Tyranny to my Steam account but it's not showing up on my Paradox Account / My Games list. Is that a bug or do I have to update the list somehow?