• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

3ishop

General
8 Badges
Jan 25, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Was wondering if there could be a few more events added, mainly mine would be for grain and fish. Going to build up all those that I like from suggestions. Bold have been added.

1. Fish, as whaling is missed out on EU4 think a few mentions of it should be added. It was huge industry by the end of the games time period so 2 events that change it would be firstly linked to Dip tech unlocking a new ship type as the bigger ships allowed hunting of bigger whales. Second would be colonisation of the Falklands/South Georgia. If not a new good then at least an event for fish.
  2. would be the discovery of the potato, it deserves a mention! :p along with corn and tomatoes making their way around & in to Europe, would be a nice modifier for grain, only say 5 or 10 %. Also should improve the price of livestock as the early crops were used as cheap feed for them so would lower the production cost.
  3. Rum, rise the price of sugar if you own colonies in NA and the Carib. Could also later add spiced rum event to raise the price of spices (I do not have an alcohol obsession! :p )
  4. Coppers price should rise with the unlocking of copper bottom tech.
  5. Brandy with a few extra events. Trigger around 1540 if a Dutch nation has a merchant in Bordeaux, "brandy export, Dutch merchants started distilling wine which allowed it to travel better and ment more could be shipped!" Think it should only be a small boost to wine say +10%.
  6. Canning - trigger around 1810 so might be a bit late, raise in price for glass and livestock. A French inventor cooked food in sealed glass jars which made them keep till opened. France gave him an award but wasn't till after the Napoleonic wars that it became wide spread. Due to no guarantee of that war could be a late trigger.
  7. Selective breeding - should trigger after 1760, with the scientific approach Robert Bakewell was able to greatly improve on sheep, horses and cattle. So ingame should give a price rise to wool and livestock.
  8. Paper should get a price jump with printing press. Also from Protestant nations forming, as they often put the Bibble in their common language rather than Latin more people could read or/and by the Enlightenment age happening as that saw the number of books being published rise and the rate of literate people increase.
  9. An event for Prussia that triggers around 1710 - build the Amber Room. Should cost a lot of money and then give a prestiege bonus and maybe dip-rep (they did gift it to Russia to make an alliance) as such it should give say a 10% price rise to gems for 10 years.
  10. Increase value of Naval supplies when Global Trade spawns, this would be to represent the increased demand in materials to build and run all the trade ships that were needed for the global trade.
  11. Wool, when standard uniforms is triggered should give a boost to wools value.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I don't know about the fish idea, but the potato idea YES PLEASE! :p

Potatoes were cultivated in Inca and after the Spanish conquest they were cultivated in Europe too. After a while they began to be eaten by humans so it should be a great addition to the trade

I would like to see a few more events for trade goods, both up and down to make the income fluctuate a bit.

And I would like to see an option to switch a trade good in a province. Such as when the potato or other goods appear.

Switching trade good should come with a cost. Some monarch points.

Reactions:
Brandy with a few extra events. Trigger around 1540 if a Dutch nation has a merchant in Bordeaux, "brandy export, Dutch merchants started distilling wine which allowed it to travel better and ment more could be shipped!" Think it should only be a small boost to wine say +10%.

Then after it's happened:

Cognac! A special brandy was produced named firstly in 1549 in the town of Cognac where it gets the name from. Gain 2 base tax in Sain tonge (4111) and 5 prestiege.

Found details here for the ideas:
https://blog.cognac-expert.com/complete-history-of-cognac/

I was just updating the wiki page for trade goods this weekend and was thinking it'd be cool to have some additional trade goods, and the first one that came to mind was whales. I wasn't sure when the whaling industry really became big, though.

If it only became big enough near the end of the time period you could have a country event that gives you a choice to change the trade good in some randomly-chosen fish-producing provinces to whales.

Adding additional types of crops would be neat too, since at the moment we just have "grain", which looks like wheat. Imagine if we had rice, potatoes, maize, and any other important foodstock crops I'm forgetting!

Reactions:
Whaling was going on through out the time period and made a lot of money, like most things the industrialisation sparked it big time.

Not a fan of multiple crops as they are covered by grain, too small to make much impact and wouldn't feel right. Grains just a blanker term for all food they can export.

Reactions:
Whaling was going on through out the time period and made a lot of money, like most things the industrialisation sparked it big time.

Not a fan of multiple crops as they are covered by grain, too small to make much impact and wouldn't feel right. Grains just a blanker term for all food they can export.
Thinking about it some, I agree about the grains thing. It'd be cooler from a simulation point of view, but I think it's fine to represent the general staple food crop of a region with a single type of good.

Would whales work as a possible new trade good, or do they similarly fall under fish?

Reactions:
Thinking about it some, I agree about the grains thing. It'd be cooler from a simulation point of view, but I think it's fine to represent the general staple food crop of a region with a single type of good.

Would whales work as a possible new trade good, or do they similarly fall under fish?
Yeah but like I said you'd need multiple food crops per province, there is something like 400 "grain" provinces at the start, if we then divide them by the range of food we have so lets go with:
Wheat, rye, barley, spelt, oats, potato, tomato, corn, rice, casava, turnips, leeks, carrots, beatroots, squashes, peas, beans, chicken, pig, cattle, goose and goats.

So there's 22 food stuffs I can think of off the top of my head, so would be roughly 18 provinces of each at game start...so will either be too easy to gain control of the good or to hard as they are scattered across so many empires.

Similarly I think whales would be better as a modifier for fish due to so few provinces having them. Most locations I'd expect would be islands in the North sea, Northern coast of Russia and the islands off South America.

I really do think whaling should be represented by an increase in price of fish mid to late game, at least or make it's own good. Like it was said, back in the day was really profitable, from all the food you got from killing one and by the oils you got from it to make oil based lights that could light homes. You also got the fats you could eat as well, somewhat of a delicacy, to some, and a great perseverant.

The idea of adding all the different foods in the game is a bit too much in my book. There could be maybe on new world staple food but as far as it goes, wheat takes care of it very well. Many rulers of countries back then did not favor life as much as they do today. Peasants were given the food they would get and if not enough, tough. Plus, the modifiers to develoment late game takes care of the fact that they had more variety of new foods from the new world, allowing them too feed more people, increase population, and have less famine, which in turn was better for both the government and the people of the time.

@3ishop: Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear: you've convinced me that the current system of having "grain" represent all those different food crops is good as-is. :)

Having a modifier to fish's value could be interesting, but it already takes two dips from the Protestants Don't Eat Fish and Grand Banks Fisheries events, so it would need to be pretty hefty increase just to break even with the start of the game. Though, maybe the rise in whaling really was that profitable? I don't know.

Oh I know, I was just looking in to it more and thought I'd post some numbers to back it up. As I've suggested on other threads if we had multiple slots in a province and each province had something like:
X food stuff slots - range of food the province produces
Y Resources - Number of natural resources such as timber, fur, metals.
Z Industry - what can be man made, such as silk and cloth.

It doesn't have to counter the dips but can help raise it's value a bit.

@3ishop: Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear: you've convinced me that the current system of having "grain" represent all those different food crops is good as-is. :)

Having a modifier to fish's value could be interesting, but it already takes two dips from the Protestants Don't Eat Fish and Grand Banks Fisheries events, so it would need to be pretty hefty increase just to break even with the start of the game. Though, maybe the rise in whaling really was that profitable? I don't know.

I am pretty sure that whaling was that popular to make a good wealth in that time. It always has been very profitable. Just with new tools and Technics along with meeting a lot new people and technology around the world, it would have allowed for more efficient quicker hunting. It could also be safer with countries building bigger ships and all. Along with when I think of the Attrition to ships being decreased late game, navigation improved so they could end up hunting and tracking fish in general. Paradox should at least be able to increase fish income back to its original amount, once the tech to naval attrition leaves, at the minimum, and maybe bring up the price to 3 price then 2.5 because of how navigation improvements makes it more efficient to fish.

Reactions:
Oh I know, I was just looking in to it more and thought I'd post some numbers to back it up. As I've suggested on other threads if we had multiple slots in a province and each province had something like:
X food stuff slots - range of food the province produces
Y Resources - Number of natural resources such as timber, fur, metals.
Z Industry - what can be man made, such as silk and cloth.

It doesn't have to counter the dips but can help raise it's value a bit.

Those are great ideas and be nice to be put into the game, but that would end up being a lot of time to code (rewriting the game). If that were to happen, it would most likely be put into an expansion or something, if anything. I would for sure be in support of a province making 2-3 good for trade instead of just one, tied to base production. Would really like added to the game, just be a lot of work for developers is all.

Those are great ideas and be nice to be put into the game, but that would end up being a lot of time to code (rewriting the game). If that were to happen, it would most likely be put into an expansion or something, if anything. I would for sure be in support of a province making 2-3 good for trade instead of just one, tied to base production. Would really like added to the game, just be a lot of work for developers is all.
Oh I know, why I haven't bothered to ever write up a suggestion for it. I picture it more of a EUV really as it would be such a big change to the game. If they brought back supply and demand with it as well...would give more to do in peace time I guess.

So for EU4 I'm focusing on more trade good events, think they add a nice bit of history to the game as well.

Reactions:
Oh I know, why I haven't bothered to ever write up a suggestion for it. I picture it more of a EUV really as it would be such a big change to the game. If they brought back supply and demand with it as well...would give more to do in peace time I guess.

So for EU4 I'm focusing on more trade good events, think they add a nice bit of history to the game as well.

yeap all true/good idea/good thinking.

Could be like finding exotic animals on each continent maybe. I can't think of anything else for those types of areas. I would have to do research to find any real events not known to me, (too lazy and have other things to do then research at moment, sorry).