• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amendment to the Parliament Act: Yes
Assurance of the Cortz Act: Abstain
Amendment to the Assurance of the Cortz Act: Yes
Mission: Palu

((How many landed Trastamaras are there, and what are their relation to Alfons.))

((Only his cousin Carles is related closely enough, I believe, but if succession proceeded far enough, it'd affect more. I suppose it would also prevent inbreeding, since no landed Trastámara would marry close to the imperial line and risk their line temporarily losing their seat on the Cortz. Landed players who marry a close relative of the Emperor would possibly end up getting disenfranchised by this law too.))

Dear Nephew,

I would like to speak with you concerning recent events. Meet me in my study for dinner tonight.

Sophia de Trastamara.

Dear Nephew,

I would like to speak with you concerning recent events. Meet me in my study for dinner tonight.

Sophia de Trastamara.

Crown Prince Carles de Trastámara accepts the request to meet.

Crown Prince Carles de Trastámara accepts the request to meet.

((Private))

As the Crown Prince approached the study, he could not help but notice the squad of guards at the door. The ten men were shadows of the Empress since her attack years ago, and they made no exception here. One gestured at the door, informing him that he was welcome to enter, and so he did.

As Carles settled down and began to eat, he noticed that Sophia had yet to say a word. In silence the meal continued until the end.

((Private))

As the Crown Prince approached the study, he could not help but notice the squad of guards at the door. The ten men were shadows of the Empress since her attack years ago, and they made no exception here. One gestured at the door, informing him that he was welcome to enter, and so he did.

As Carles settled down and began to eat, he noticed that Sophia had yet to say a word. In silence the meal continued until the end.

((Private))

When the meal was done, Carles dabbed at his lips with a napkin. His host had remained silent the entire time. Why had she even invited him then? If it was about the Cortz issue, he frankly did not care. If she wanted to dig her own grave by losing the support of yet another faction at court, this time the entire Trastámara family, then that was her choice to make. It wasn't as though she hadn't already alienated most of the nobles and liberals. If she started going after the Church or army next, there would certainly be a new prime minister shortly after. As for him, he could at least return to Salento and live in peace if he no longer had a position on the Cortz. It would be good to go home again and spend time with his people. Stifling a yawn, he rose from his seat.

"Thank you for the lovely meal. I'm afraid I must return to my quarters. I may have some packing to do if it turns out that I have no further business in the capital."

((And now the vote comes to a close.

Amendment to the Parliament Act: Yes
Assurance of the Cortz Act: Yes in Assembly, No in Cortz
Amendment to the Assurance of the Cortz Act: No in Assembly, Tie in Cortz
Mission: Palu

Seeing as both the Assurance of the Cortz Act and its amendment failed in at least one house, neither passes. The rest are pretty straightforward. With the passing of the amendment to the Parliament Act, the Prime Minister now needs to appoint a Second Minister. I'm hoping to get the update done today, but I may be busy this evening.))

Last edited:
1766-1768 – Showdown

The year began with another political triumph for Germany. The duke of Luneburg agreed to swear fealty to the German king, bringing an end to the independence of yet another German state. Only a few remained, and they must have been growing wary with each move Germany made. Perhaps in response to this, the bed-ridden Chancellor ordered that Hispania guarantee the independence of Bavaria, the only sizeable German state left between Germany and Austria. This severely strained Hispania’s diplomatic resources, but at least it ensured Bavaria’s survival for now.

Far to the east, preparations were being made for war with Korea. The small Asian kingdom would pay homage to the Hispanian Emperor once things were over and done with.

The expansion of the trade fleets continued. Ships were constructed all across Iberia and Italy, with dozens of ships to be sent across the Empire to bring in more and more wealth.

In North America, the tensions between the UKA and Canada reached a boiling point. Unable to tolerate the expansion on their border, the UKA declared war on Canada.

Any plans to bring Ajuuraan into the fold were ruined with Yemen forcing Ajuuraan to serve as their protectorate. If war was to be pursued, it’d be against both at once.

As Spring came around, Emperor Alfons IX fell victim to a particularly nasty case of the flu. While it was not serious enough to cause alarm, it did prevent the Emperor from being as involved in state affairs as he’d like. For a time, the Parliament found itself with more power than its advisory capacity suggested, although the Cabinet maintained the bulk of the power.

As the Flota Colonial arrived in Canton and the Exercit Cathay set sail, a declaration of war was sent to Korea. With no ally of their own and an abysmally small army, resistance was expected to be minimal. At least Korea’s neighbour Manchu was distracted by their war with Yarkand to the west.

It seemed that Asian nations were in the habit of stealing Hispanian ideas, weapons, and technology whenever possible. Ming, perhaps in an attempt to stave off further invasions by Delhi and Manchu, was the latest in a long line of thieves.

Austria claimed the title of Defender of the Catholic Faith, surely as a way to further legitimize their position as Holy Roman Emperor.

The war proceeded rather easily, with the Korean army eradicated after a short battle outside the capital. Within 2-3 months, Sangju was occupied by Hispanian troops.

The Korean navy, forced to face off against Admiral Liu Binhan, stood little chance and found their entire navy sent to the bottom of the sea. The small remnants of the Korean army met a similar fate.

Attempts to form a land bridge between the various parts of Nuevo Leon, and thus cut off French La Plata and Argentine from each other, were meeting with success. With Chepes handed over to Nuevo Leon, a colony was established in San Luis, completing the land connection.

With the fall of Gyeongju in July of 1767, Korea had all but fallen. The remainder of their navy was sunk. Byzantium even sent an expeditionary force to assist with the occupation, although they arrived too late to do much. With that taken care of, a peace treaty was signed with Korea accepting the protection of Hispania through direct rule.

With Hispania expanding so greatly across the globe, it became more important than ever that it had an army capable of protecting the Empire. The Hispanian Civil War had seen the army downsized, but now the call to increase its size was bigger than ever. The Exercit Africa had never been replaced, but why stop there? Perhaps it was time for a few more armies to be formed.

With Wallachia practically licking the Emperor’s boots and Byzantium showing a greater willingness to work alongside Hispania as long as their sovereignty was respected, it was quite clear that Hispania’s subjects were quite loyal.

The encouragement of innovation by the state and the growing allowance of freedom of speech was seeing an increase in the number of learned men.

With the nobles having less influence over the provinces of the Empire and the ability to act through the Cortz dependent partially on the Assembly, they found their power diminished.

The colony in Whydah became self-sustaining, so the Crown sent Colonist Joaquin Villanova off to Porto Seguro to assist Sanchonia on linking up the pieces of their territory before Scotland interfered.

Great Britain’s attempt to restore its glory by overseas expansion was irreparably ruined when Argentine declared independence with the assistance of Scotland. It seemed likely things would not end well for Britain.

When Nuevas Baleares began trading with its neighbours, there was some outcry that this was damaging Hispania’s trade. However, according to the agreement reached with the colonies, this was technically allowed. Hispania would have to be content with less control over the affairs of their colonies.

Malwa became the next nation to steal Hispania’s technology. Was there anyone not depraved enough to take advantage of the Empire?

As 1768 began, the political landscape of Europe was about to change. France had viewed their old ally Austria with contempt ever since the Hispanian Civil War. But even more so, they had been eyeing up the weak and vulnerable Alsace. With the unification of Germany, France found itself with little room to expand in Europe. Alsace seemed too tempting a target. The only thing standing in their way was Austria, who had just as keen an interest in Alsace. That did not deter France. They declared war on Alsace, well knowing that Austria would intervene. The two former allies were now ready to go head-to-head once again.

Hispania soon found itself drawn right into the conflict. Austria, who had taken over the war effort for Alsace, naturally called upon its allies for assistance. A call-to-arms was thus issued to Hispania. It seemed almost audacious. Austria, who had betrayed the Imperials and sided with the traitor Montségur, was asking for Hispania’s aid against the one nation that had stood by the Emperor and Hispania for over three centuries. There was still dishonour in declining a defensive call-to-arms, but it seemed a small price to pay. Now Hispania had to choose which of their allies they would stick by. Would they defend Austria, or rather Alsace, against French aggression or would they stand by and allow the French freedom to act? Either way, the Quadruple Entente had breathed its last breath and was long dead and buried.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks.

I must apologize that I have not been as involved in state affairs as I have previously been. I’m afraid the flu that afflicted me awhile ago has strained my constitution. I shall endeavour to do what I can.

I am uncertain whether to take this call-to-arms from Austria seriously or not. It is rather bold of them to ask us to turn against our most trusted ally. While they are the ones defending against French aggression, is the alliance with Austria worth destroying what we have with France? I have second guessed by decision to push for reconciliation with Austria ever since the alliance was signed, and now it seems we must make a choice. I put this most pressing issue before the Parliament to aid in the decision of whether to favour Austria or France.

((So much for playing both sides. We’ll be voting on the call-to-arms when the vote begins. I suspect I know which way it will go, but I felt it was important enough to stop the playthrough.

Anyway, ministers have until Monday at 12PM PST to post their plans. Players may also propose laws and reforms in that time period.))

Reactions:
Montségur had just finished his speech in front of the German parliament, to prepare them for war. The secret negotiations with France had been very successful, and the French did their part to achieve this result. While the German Chancellor would have waited some more before attacking Austria and leaving France with their Western lands, this move was perfect. For Hispania. It was a variable Montségur feared could intervene in his Austrian plans, but if it was France that attacked, and not Germany, the chances were better for Hispania to choose the right side. While France likely would push to the Rhine, into Switzerland and Italy, Germany would aim to seize Silesia and Bohemia.
He thought about sending word to the ambassador in Valencia to influence the parliament, but it would likely be wiser not to. Alea iacta est.

((Sorry for missing the votes, I was looking at other things for a few days and for some reason stopped receiving alerts for this. Also @hirahammad, you now have in character access to Fausto's posts from the Hispanian Civil War, even ones marked private, do with it as you wish.))

((I want to be a merchant, so do I ask the NPC Minister of Trade or ask the glorious Alfons IX?))

((Trade. ;) ))

((Good Luck with that though. I don't think the Ministry of Trade would grant someone a position when they voted in favor of removing the current PM who selects the Minister of Trade.))

Sophia de Trastamara announces her intentions to integrate Wallachia into the Empire to ease our diplomatic burden.

Also, she announces that his Holiness is to be the Second Minister, with all powers expected to such a position, including the right to select other Ministers with her approval.

She also advocates ignoring Austria's plea, and even would like Parliament to consider discussing to intervene on behalf of France.