• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LastLeviathan

Captain
62 Badges
Apr 6, 2016
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
SWGD_main.png

Current Version Alpha 0.2
Star Wars: A Galaxy Divided is a mod meant to transport players into the Star Wars universe within Stellaris. Using Legends canon, the mod is primarily set within the Old Republic timeline and includes a variety of factions and other content representative of that Era.

The aim is to draw players into the universe while maintaining the aesthetics of the game intended by the developers. Structurally, the intent is for the mod to be mostly additive rather than modify original files. The goal of this is so that the base mod may remain functional with future patches and compatible with most if not all mods. Eventually mechanics may be worked on, but for the next while the priority is visual and narrative content.

Steam Workshop

Current Features
  • Static galaxy containing approximately 875 systems.
  • Accurate positioning and names for planets.
  • All major and minor hyperlane routes
  • Chiss and Hutt Space
  • 38 Static Empires with accurate home systems.
    • Note that you are able to edit the empires as you wish, however be sure to select your newly created version before starting a game. Example if you wish to change the sith to pacifists.
  • Republic & Sith ship cultures for combat ships.
  • Custom loading screens.
  • Prethoryn have been renamed to the Yuuzhan Vong.
  • Portraits for Chiss & Sith species.
  • 4 namelists: Jedi, Sith, Republic and Mandalorian. (More to come)
  • Custom & Random spawn capability.
  • Custom personalities.
  • Changes to border growth.
Development Team
Head Dev- Last Leviathan
Content Creator - Nukumnehtar

Dev Diaries
Dev Diary #1 - Building the Galaxy
Dev Diary #2 - Empires & Static Spawns
Dev Diary #3 - Moving Foward
Dev Diary #4 - Making Empires Your Own
Dev Diart # 5 - Focusing & Developing Planets

Changelog
1.1 "The Force Unleashed"

Last edited:
Reactions:
A Galaxy Divided Dev Diary #1 - Building the Galaxy

It is a period of frustration. With minimal map making and scripting experience Last Leviathan has set off from playing Stellaris to modding.

Entrusting help from map master Osito, he has travelled to the great archives of both shitpost and knowledge, the PARADOX FORUMS. Little does Leviathan know that much can still be learned from the Stellaris subreddit and those that lurk there...

A couple of weeks ago I decided to challenge myself with building a map of the Star Wars galaxy, which slowly turned into the learning experience of making a full mod. Not only will the dev diaries be about upcoming developments but of how I've done things, what problems I've run into and methods I've learned.

Making the Map
What drove me to start this was Retalyx's map generator, a wonderful tool, which I gave a try for a while when I started. But, I soon learned that if I had wanted to make a galaxy with over a thousand systems, it would be too difficult and accurately positioning a thousand planets by hand is simply insane. Asking around, I was invited by the great group of modders at STNW to ask questions and their map maker Osito gave me plenty of useful advice that set the base for my map.

Using an Excel spreadsheet, I used atlas coordinates and converted them so they could be used within the 1000x1000 size of the Stellaris maps. I inputted the x and y coordinates and other pertinent information and used it to build the code I would use. By the end I would get something like this:
system = { id = "1" name = "Arami" position = { x = -351 y = 161 } [Initializer will go here]}

10fw5mx.jpg

Not only did this save me time, but it kept it organised for easy adjustments that were needed. I started off with about 2000 systems and as I built the hyperlanes, I went through the process of removing non iconic/essential planets not found on the hyperlane routes. It took hours of looking at the map in game with my spreadsheet and code on the side, deleting planets that were sitting around and ensuring all the planets were connected. Eventually some will not be connected, such as Rakata Prime, but for a basic map I wanted everything to be usable lest someone spawns there randomly and is stuck.

rwlzjt.jpg

It took me hours of playing around with code and bug fixing, and I ran into my fair share of issues.

Game crashing on map load because of broken hyperlane code
Often my game would crash because my hyperlane code was broken, usually because I misplaced a number and ended up with it outside of the brackets or with a classic "".

Spawning on random planets or black holes
Though my planets were all positioned nicely, my empires would spawn on random barren worlds or even a black hole once. POPs didn't seem to happy living on a Toxic world. This was fixed by adding in an event on startup that turned the capital of the empire into its ideal planet class. Which led to the next problem.

Preferred planet with no buildings
Although I got the ideal class working, no buildings were spawning. (Though space stations and such seemed to work) To fix this, I used another event on startup to spawn random tile blockers and buildings on the homeworld.

Planet Sizes
Another issue was the planet size was that of the original planet they spawned on. and add tiles for those who had smaller planets. The tile workaround is not enough, and I'll have to figure out something else eventually for random spawns.

Randomly generated AI renaming planets
This is apparently a bug no one has been able to crack, I thought I fixed it by removing the homeworld and home system names from the name_lists, but it just makes it blank.

Sol and Other Special Systems Spawning
Sol always like to force himself into the galaxy, and I fixed that by removing the game.start.1 and .2 from triggering. To remove spawns like Sanctuary, I changed it so the chance of occurrence was 0.

FEs not spawning
Another problem with the random empire generator, they also don't seem to like static galaxies.

Going from 2000 to 1000
This was time consuming, perhaps the most because I had to scour through the galaxy atlas and sources to decide what planets had no info on them or were simply too cluttered. Often times I just deleted clusters and such because there was not enough space on the map.

Hyperlanes by hand, making them with confusing code
I had to build the hyperlane routes by hand, with a large amount of add_hyperlane = { from = "y" to = "x" } which will have to be organised better once I add in initializers.

That's all for now, I'll be working on adjusting the map and making sure it's working as intended. Next I'll be working on factions and setting their static spawns.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Your map looks beautiful, have you considered working with the other star wars mod team? Their map is a bit.. Lacking.

Reactions:
Your map looks beautiful, have you considered working with the other star wars mod team? Their map is a bit.. Lacking.

I considered it, but decided I wanted to start something myself as a personal project to get me into modding. That being said, I did attempt to contact a few of their members to no avail.

A Galaxy Divided Dev Diary #2 - Empires & Static Spawns

Evading crashes and bugs, his group of files have established a stable base within the mod folder. Leviathan, obsessed with finding a working code, has probed deeply in an effort to fix his problems, lest he resort to alcohol.

Populating the Galaxy
Welcome to the second rendition of A Galaxy Divided's dev diaries. I'll be talking briefly about my process of implementing custom starts within the static galaxy. The first step in this stage was deciding what I wanted to build. For now, the scenario is designed for equality such as if it were a normal game with parallel starts. In the future I intend to have two maps, one with equal starts and a "historical" one with appropriate allies and controlled systems set like EU or CK.

Now, what lay next was to decide which empires/factions I wanted to include. Settling on starting with 17 playable empires, they amounted to factions I thought people would likely want to play or fight and that also made sense within the time period.

The initial release will feature:
  • Sith Empire
  • Jedi Council
  • Galactic Republic
  • Hutt Clans
  • Utapauan Committee
  • Mandalorian Warrior Clans
  • Kingdom of Naboo
  • Council of Kamino
  • Bespin Trade Guilds
  • Cathar Tribes
  • United Wookie Clans
  • Kingdom of Alderaan
  • Corellian Empire
  • Combined Bothan Clans
  • Geonosian Hives
  • Chiss Ascendancy
  • Trandoshan Warlords

More will be added in the future, and adjustments made to existing ones from feedback or suggestions.

It took a period of research to construct the correct governments, head of state titles, flags and most fitting traits according to culture and species biology. With which I could now start inserting correct systems.

15wj7e9.jpg
Sadly the ship types aren't my own making, but a ship model mod I'll recommend.
The empires are built, but now to get them to spawn where they should be. Don't think the Hutts would appreciate living in the Maw, after all. Organised by galactic section, the process may seem overwhelming for one not experienced, but it is fairly easy to learn by yourself.

n69eae.jpg

Folders for easy locating of systems
Once a system initializer is made (with which you build the system contents), you need to link the desired system and planet to the empire with flags. In addition, for it to spawn, you need to head to the map folder and add a spawn probability and the correct initializer to your system.

k9f5dx.jpg
An example of my early code where you can see some empire flags.
Now you have your empires spawning where you want them! For this part the issues were minor, but still some things that are obvious but easily overlooked.

Ensuring flags are where they need to be.
As far I figured out, there are three locations you need your flags for it to work: in your custom empire code, in your map scenario code and in your initializer code.

Ensuring AI spawn as your custom empires, not random empires.
Certain time my empires weren't spawning due to the fact that in the empire code, it needs to be set to spawn_enabled= always not just spawn_enabled= yes.

System looking as it should, but no empire spawns.
Ensuring starting_planet = yes on the correct planet can make all the difference it seems.

There are other ways to do much of this, either easier or more organised, but this worked well for me. If you have any questions, suggestions or advice, send a message and I'll be happy to go more in depth with you. Otherwise, I'll be working to include more empires, content and bug fixing in the comings weeks. Stay tuned, I intend to release the initial alpha with static spawns by the end of the week.

I'd love to see some up close screenshots of this map! It looks really nice!

Ask and you shall receive.

chissspace.jpg

sith space.jpg

tython.jpg

Reactions:
I've managed to piece together a playable alpha, hopefully people are willing to give it a test. Please share any bugs, opinions or suggestions you may have regarding empires, traits, ethos or just the map itself.

If you're interested in helping feel free to send me a message. In particular I wouldn't mind having help building systems, writing descriptions and greetings for the empires.

Steam Workshop Link

Changelog [Alpha v.0.2]
  • Removed some lingering planets with no hyperlanes
  • Fixed unconnected systems
  • Added Deep Core accurate systems
Factions
  • Added 16 playable empires
    • Sith Empire
    • Jedi Council
    • Galactic Republic
    • Kingdom of Alderaan
    • Corellian Empire
    • Mandalorian Warrior Clans
    • Hutt Clans
    • Utapau Committee
    • Bespin Trade Guilds
    • Combined Bothan Clans
    • Chiss Ascendancy
    • Cathar Tribes
    • Kamino Council
    • Geonosian Hives
    • Kingdom of Naboo
    • Wookie Clans
  • Added lore accurate starting systems for empires
  • Added temporary descriptions (Source: Wookiepedia)
  • Added temporary Star Wars namelist for humans
  • Renamed prethoryn to Yuzhang vong
Models & Graphics
  • Added Chiss species models
  • Added more city sets
  • Added Star Wars flags
Other
  • Removed random spawn capability due to clash with static spawn code (if you wish to play with random spawning, it still remains on the standalone map mod)
  • Added 9 Star Wars themed loading screens
  • Added main menu music (1 song)

Reactions:
Hey was just looking things over, shouldn't Coruscant be given the AI Homeworld decal, so it would look like its covered in urban sprawl, and that it be as full as a Gaia 20/20 world, to represent the 1 Trillion people living there?

vWUY7FY.jpg

Looks almost exactly like the AI homeworld

Also some interesting dynamics you could do is Naboo and Mon Cala, both have two species living on them and it would be real neat if they had special events that allowed you to choose which race you'd like to play as or at least just add their pops in so players can do this themselves.

Reactions:
Hey was just looking things over, shouldn't Coruscant be given the AI Homeworld decal, so it would look like its covered in urban sprawl, and that it be as full as a Gaia 20/20 world, to represent the 1 Trillion people living there?

vWUY7FY.jpg

Looks almost exactly like the AI homeworld

Also some interesting dynamics you could do is Naboo and Mon Cala, both have two species living on them and it would be real neat if they had special events that allowed you to choose which race you'd like to play as or at least just add their pops in so players can do this themselves.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that for Coruscant, great idea.

As for the dual or more species per planet, spawning them isn't difficult but being able to choose whichever you wish to play as will take some figuring out. I have an idea on how it might work in the code though.

I didn't check, but is Mandalore a desert planet? I seem to recall from the Clone Wars TV show that it was ravaged by war and so the only settlements it can muster are domes. Would be interesting if it was classified as 'wasteland' but that would make it hard for them to colonize.

I didn't check, but is Mandalore a desert planet? I seem to recall from the Clone Wars TV show that it was ravaged by war and so the only settlements it can muster are domes. Would be interesting if it was classified as 'wasteland' but that would make it hard for them to colonize.

it depends on the area. the setting in the show is a desert city but the planet is mostly temperate forests and agrarian settlements... that house some of the biggest badasses in science fiction.

Reactions: