How much data is used during multiplayer sessions ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mrwrong

First Lieutenant
28 Badges
Oct 9, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I have a question to anyone who might be able to answer it.

I have a 7 gigabyte a month tethering limit for my mobile data plan which I use for all of my internet and after watching the team playing EU 4 online I think I'd like to give it a go .

But I'm curious as to how much data is used per hour to play this game in a multiplayer match?

If CS:GO and SW:TOR are anything to go by - very little actual data is used. AFAIR long sessions (>8hrs) in SW:TOR were using under a 100MB. You might have a problem with latency though, mobile internet isn't very good for this sort of thing. Even though I live in the centre of big city and have great LTE signal playing online using my mobile ISP is pretty much pointless.

If CS:GO and SW:TOR are anything to go by - very little actual data is used. AFAIR long sessions (>8hrs) in SW:TOR were using under a 100MB. You might have a problem with latency though, mobile internet isn't very good for this sort of thing. Even though I live in the centre of big city and have great LTE signal playing online using my mobile ISP is pretty much pointless.

thanks good to know , thank you for the response ! i might still give it a try and see how my luck holds .

I live in the centre of big city and have great LTE signal playing online using my mobile ISP is pretty much pointless.

You can have a great signal and slow speeds, especially if the signal towers are congested. For example, I get 2 mega BITS per second (so 0.25MB/s) with 4G/LTE. With 3g, I get a full MB/s. My city is a poorer city, and am with a phone provider that doesn't have as many towers as other bigger service providers - leading to more data congestion.

So to OP, if you have at least a few MB/s download speed you should be completely fine - many people have routers that only give them that much and they can still play. One thing to note is that you may need to play on speed 2 or 3 only if your download speed is not too good.

Last edited: