Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters - Dev Diary 1: Meteors and Helicopters

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is amazing, the more information I get the more hyped I get.

Few questions though, with the disaster response will we have executive actions, such as declaring a state of emergency that will allow us a "government grant" that will give us money to help with the disaster relief and rebuilding? and along with it will it have things like closing down freeways for evacuation routs and things like this,
  • Emergency hospitals - maybe stadiums and schools could "function" as temporary hospitals during the aftermath of a disaster? I'm guessing we'll have some kind of "emergency state" toggle and these could work as hospitals during that time, increasing the efficiency of healthcare (albeit nullyfying education). It would be cool to see a lot of tents and people inside the stadiums, the helicopters bringing people down, etc...
  • Alarms and Shelters - I know there's a lot coming for the "early prevention" systems that we have no idea yet, but I really hope we'll get shelters and alarms. I hope to see POLICIES on that too, like encouraging the construction of home shelters and cellars, a policy for alarms, this kind of thing... Maybe even policies for voluntary rescuers and search parties, etc... The Policy system has so much potential! Also, SUBWAY tunnels and stations can easily become "Emergency shelters" just like the emergency hospitals mentioned above.
  • External Relief measures - the ability to call (for a fee ?) or receive willingly (if you have a happy and prosperous city others would like to help) external assistance like airplanes with meds and food (needs airport), "red cross" teams, etc... Some kind of thing that relates to the outside world and makes us feel like part of a greater thing. This could also include a "special emergency loan" that you can only request in case of emergency. Value could be increased according to the type and size of disaster.
  • Monuments and Memorials - perhaps some special monuments that can be unlocked with disasters stats. Just like the Lazarus Square, a statue that unlocks if a meteor kills 1000+ people, etc... This kind of thing. Different monuments for each disaster type and size. Just imagine this HUGE crater transformed into a beautiful park with a monument in the middle... beautiful :3

Now on the modding side of things, I noticed a collapsed building ( or perhaps collapsing ), will this be a simple map that will have to be added to the building or is it a overlay that is applied in game, like the snow? and for helicopters are the blades a transparent rotating texture and will we be able to mod in helicopters on day one? also with helicopters, will there be media helicopters that, perhaps, help generate more relief money from disasters through sympathy from the coverage of the disaster. and will there be civilian helicopters, (media, air taxis). and if so could I turn something like my Pan Am building into a heliport like it historically was?

Keep up the great work, I cant wait for more news!!

Reactions:
I've bought both previous DLC's, sort of against my better judgement, just to support the further development of a great base base game. (And for the trams ;)) But the DLC's have been very light on content that actually really adds replay value. Now I've run out of goodwill. More DLC that just adds some "fun" visuals, or very casual gameplay mechanics that you get bored with after a few hours, is not what I want. And yes, I get that you can't only release stuff for the more "in-depth" players, but it isn't even close to being evenly balanced.

And what about performance optimizations?! Why is it that with a high end quad core CPU and and high end GPU, both are utilized less than 50% but still I get less than 30 FPS?! It's really, really, great you have made this game, but the fundamental problems have not been adressed since release. I hope you will change priorities. This game would have been dead for many months wihout mods fixing the worst issues... But they can only do so much.

Reactions:
I'm not voting for Monorail cause in CiM2 I wanted that and they did and they got a huge load of critics. Some hardcore public transport dudes hates Monorail. I love them. It would look awesome.

If all it takes for monorail is a song, HERE YOU GO.

But the DLC's have been very light on content that actually really adds replay value.

I think the Snowfall adds a lot of replay value. Its not only cosmetic, also brings heat to take care off and snow on roads. Besides making it possible for snow to be on all buildings including modded without performance problems. Its really a great DLC. The only reason is not an awesome DLC is because its locked on snow forever. That really destroyed all.

Reactions:
I can't wait to see what you can come up with earthquakes, seeing that earth displacement on the meteor crater.
It would take some wizardry or just good programming to rise buildings 10 m in the air without braking the game. Of course it depends on the limitation of the pc specs if it's possible or not.

Shouldn't helicopters move out depending on the status of the event ? If a sick person turns from brown color to red. If a helicopter is available is will move out immediately no calculating of routes.

Will you be able to shut off helicopters in the budget system because of the costs ?
So the helipads already exist on the bigger police stations and medical center. Does this mean i can assume that is where the helicopters will spawn ? Or are we getting new buildings to accommodate helicopter because modular building is not in this game and European versions don't have helipads.

Watch out that you don't create apocalypses. Having a tsunami wiping your city won't be any fun. But programming wave barkers seems a lot of work. Tsunami's could maybe be 10 meter above sea level to play it safe, of course testing, testing and testing. The new water canals would come in handy for this though. A real reason to use them and not spend hours trying to level the ground to get water in those dam things. Don't forget to test the game.

Watch out that you don't create apocalypses. Having a tsunami wiping your city won't be any fun. But programming wave barkers seems a lot of work. Tsunami's could maybe be 10 meter above sea level to play it safe, of course testing, testing and testing. The new water canals would come in handy for this though. A real reason to use them and not spend hours trying to level the ground to get water in those dam things. Don't forget to test the game.
A workable Tsunami mod has been around for ages, since just after the game was released.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412924260
A real reason to use canals isn't possible yet, since the purpose of canals is a means of water transportation. By that I mean CO has yet to produce any small watercraft for use on canals. But I see that you intend to use them as storm drains. That's overly cautious imo, but it's your city. Why though does it take you hours to build canals when it should only take minutes? Consider using this mod which will improve your terrain adjustments. It will be faster and you can even use it to fill your closed canals too or use the water spawners as drains to remove any tsunami flood water.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502750307

PLEASE include realistic looking helicopters.
These vehicles look already great on the shared pictures, don't you think ? :)

Reactions:
These vehicles look already great on the shared pictures, don't you think ? :)

I agree, I love the Bell 206 as the police helicopter and the Mil Mi-8 as the rescue helicopter. I hope that the medical (air ambulance) is the Agusta AW109 like the ones around my neck of the woods, and the fire helicopter is the Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane, that would be awesome.
aw109s-grand-new-ihc1-2x.jpg

Agusta AW109 of Intermountain Healthcare Life Flight
20120328_N243AC_741_Sikorsky_S-64E_Skycrane_David_Eyre-1.jpg

Sikorsky Erickson S-64E Skycrane

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ya im hopping they have those two as generics. After all, the police and rescue are both based after real helicopters, the skycrain is a very commen fire fighting chopper, so theres actualy a smidgen of a chance on them making that one, the agusta however, that one will probably have to be modded.

I wish they would awnswer my questions on how we might be able to mod in our own helicopters, but they have been rather silent. Hopefully we will get some interesting and informative info tomarow.

Can you make it so that Fire, Police and Medical respond to only buildings part of a certain district? (And make the district brush more accurate, like being able to zone districts like you zone residential, using the tiles system (and by tiles I mean the little squares.) Because I've seen firefighters responding to a fire that was really far from their station, and by the time they got there, the building had burned down. The nearest fire station that was two streets away did not even send a single firetruck. So making services respond to only certain districts would probably remove that problem.

I agree, I love the Bell 206 as the police helicopter and the Mil Mi-8 as the rescue helicopter. I hope that the medical (air ambulance) is the Agusta AW109 like the ones around my neck of the woods, and the fire helicopter is the Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane, that would be awesome.
I see that you have some nice pictures as well. :)

Can you make it so that Fire, Police and Medical respond to only buildings part of a certain district? (And make the district brush more accurate, like being able to zone districts like you zone residential, using the tiles system (and by tiles I mean the little squares.) Because I've seen firefighters responding to a fire that was really far from their station, and by the time they got there, the building had burned down. The nearest fire station that was two streets away did not even send a single firetruck. So making services respond to only certain districts would probably remove that problem.

there's a mod for that. but i'm guessing you want them to put that in game and make the mod obsolete?