• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 27th of September 2016

Hello everyone and welcome to another Europa Universalis development diary. This time we’ll take a look at the most important balance changes for 1.18, with a quick explanation on why we did them..

Setup
  • Lucky nations are now down to 8, sorry Poland, Brandenburg & Sweden.
The balance of having 10 lucky nations made the likelihood of a strong Russia too uncommon for us, and especially having those 3 as likely lucky nations was too much for Muscowy.

• Lots of National Ideas have been changed, but most importantly Knights lost their tolerance for heretics, but can instead do slave raids.
As usual, we keep changing the ideas as we add new functionality, and giving people new abilities. There was a rather large following for giving the Knights access to Slave Raiding, as they were rather fearsome pirates, so they gained that ability.

Navies
  • If you have a port, now you get at least 5 sailors per month.
This was also requested, as some nations with 1 port just could never get any sailors at all.

• Ships now engage in a priority order from heavy, galley, light to transport, up to a maximum of the engagement width (for which heavies count as 3 rather than 1).
This creates a more interesting naval combat experience, as you’ll all notice on October 11th.

Espionage
  • Reworked foreign spy detection & counter espionage. Counter espionage have less impact on discovery, but both now impact the spy network buildup of the target in your nation.
Basically, being able to defend against spy activities is now possible, even if stopping them entirely might be impossible.

• Reduced unrest and Republican Tradition impact from Sowing discontent spy action
And many tears have been shed over this ….

• Spy network bonuses will now apply to the target's subjects.
No more micromanagement and extra hassle! Rejoice!

Subjects
  • Breaking vassalage with a vassal that has over 50% in liberty desire no longer gives a relation penalty.
In the “duh?” category right?

• Increased Liberty Desire from tariffs, up to 50% LD at 100% tariffs
Tariffs are no longer no-brainers to increase..

• Colonial nations only lose half the money the overlord is getting in tariffs.
But this makes it so you can’t cripple your colonial nations..

• Large colonial nations now gives you +5 land force limit each
And now you also want LARGE colonial nations :) ie, buffing Portugal..

• There is now a scaled penalty to Liberty Desire up to +25% at max Mercantilism.
Aka, the longer the game goes, the more likely subjects get rebellious.

• Vassals fighting each others (i.e. in Japan) now always accept Enforce Peace requests of overlord, but all vassals except the defending peace target get +10 Liberty Desire.
More power to the Emperor! or.. The Shogun!

• All subjects now get reduced AE from your actions, not just vassals & marches.
No longer will your union-partners hate you for conquering their cores!

• Subjects now have land and naval access to other subjects of the same overlord.
No longer will your subjects units get stuck!

Religion
  • Patriarch Authority no longer reduces tax income.
It all belongs to Mother Russia!. Sorry, I meant all orthodox nations..

• Sanction Commercial Monopoly now costs 50 PI, instead of 100.
And we boost Catholics!

• Defender of Faith now gives you +10 opinion of all with that religion.
Clearly this was our most important tweak in 1.18.

• Theocracies, especially the Papal State, have an increased alliance acceptance penalty towards different religions now.
  • When you change religion as a Monastic order, Devotion is now decreased to the resulting Religious unity
These above are in the “this will improve immersion while improving the balance”-category.

Forts
  • If you are enter battle while in an enemy province with a fort, you will be treated as the attacker in battle and incur that province's terrain penalties.
Building forts is now a strategic decision. Where can you stop your enemies the best?

• Penalty for not occupying forts in an area will no longer apply if the enemy does not control any forts in the area.
This will make it possible to sign a peace that you as a player likes far easier.

Misc
  • There is now an increase in efficiency of embargoes for a nation scaled by its Mercantilism up to +50%.
This is also another change that makes Mercantilism more powerful, while at the same time improving immersion.

• Trade Companies is now open to all technology groups.
With the new technology changes, this just makes sense. However, you can not have trade-companies on the same continent as your capital.

• All countries should now have access to at least one skill 2 advisor at start.
Just for you to have a choice!

• You can no longer move capital to a continent that has less than a third of your total provinces, unless your capital is the last province you own on its continent.
There were a few exploits where you could swap continents back and forth a few times, that this solves.

Technology

We already talked about the changes to technology in a previous development diary, but here is a quick recap!

• In 1444, all non-tribal nations start without tech penalties.
  • Primitive Status is now tied to starting techgroups.
  • Institutions will appear in certain provinces at key dates and spread from province to province.
  • Once 10% of your development has this Institution present, you can embrace that Institution for a monetary cost scaled on how much that institution has spread throughout your nation
  • If you have not embraced an Institution, you will have a tech penalty. This penalty grows by 1% each year up to a maximum of 50% penalty per non-embraced institution.
  • American Natives reforming their religion gain all the institutions from their advanced neighbour
  • Many existing ideas have been altered to give faster Institution spread and cheaper embracement costs.
  • Increasing development in provinces will also boost institution presence in that province

Culture

Cultures were also mentioned in a previous development diary, but here is a quick recap.
  • Cultures are now promoted manually, and any culture of at least 20 development can be promoted for 100 DIP.
  • All nations can promote 2 cultures in addition to their primary culture, and additional cultures can be promoted from ideas and Diplomatic technology
  • Old modifiers to Accepted culture Threshold now affect number of promoted cultures
  • Promoted cultures can be Demoted. This will give +5 unrest in all provinces of that culture

Stay tuned, next week we’ll show off new achievements and national ideas..

Reactions:
  • Ships now engage in a priority order from heavy, galley, light to transport, up to a maximum of the engagement width (for which heavies count as 3 rather than 1).

New ship meta incoming! Definitely sounds like a good change to me. Hopefully the total engagement width will increase somewhat to account for the increased width of heavies, otherwise anyone with 10 heavies and a good admiral will be able to defeat the full Spanish Armada.

Espionage
  • Reworked foreign spy detection & counter espionage. Counter espionage have less impact on discovery, but both now impact the spy network buildup of the target in your nation.
Basically, being able to defend against spy activities is now possible, even if stopping them entirely might be impossible.

• Reduced unrest and Republican Tradition impact from Sowing discontent spy action
And many tears have been shed over this ….
  • Spy network bonuses will now apply to the target's subjects.
No more micromanagement and extra hassle! Rejoice!

As far as I can see, this doesn't stop the absurdity of an OPM inflicting a full-strength Sow Discontent or Corrupt Officials on a great power, dealing just as much damage as if a fellow great power had comprehensively infiltrated your country. Trying to protect yourself with Counterespionage is like trying to protect yourself from insect bites by swatting them with your hands - it can work if the insects are few and large, but not against a swarm of midges...

If some of these 'global effect' spy powers retained their severe impacts (or even more severe than they are now), but only GPs could use them, it would make for more engaging power politics and make Counterespionage against specific countries more relevant.

• Colonial nations only lose half the money the overlord is getting in tariffs.
But this makes it so you can’t cripple your colonial nations..

You can't really cripple them anyway, given that they stop paying once they go disloyal.

Forts
  • If you are enter battle while in an enemy province with a fort, you will be treated as the attacker in battle and incur that province's terrain penalties.
Building forts is now a strategic decision. Where can you stop your enemies the best?

Does this include river/strait crossing penalties, and if so, how?

• Trade Companies is now open to all technology groups.
With the new technology changes, this just makes sense. However, you can not have trade-companies on the same continent as your capital.

Removing the tech group restriction is indeed logical. But aside from Westernisation, it sounds like we're back to how things were pre-1.16: if you're building a global trade empire, being Asian is a clear disadvantage. Actually, as an Asian you've got even more incentive to leave Asia than you did pre-1.16, because once you do, you can optimise the mix of trade companies and states in Asia to get the best of both worlds. So for instance, when playing as an Indonesian state, it's highly advantageous to engineer an early capital move to New Guinea...

Seriously though, the continental restriction seems unnecessary to me now that we have the states/territories system.

• You can no longer move capital to a continent that has less than a third of your total provinces, unless your capital is the last province you own on its continent.

A third as in number of provinces, or a third by development? This could make a big difference for situations where players want to move capital between Eurasia and the other continents (since Europe and Asia have much higher development per province than the other continents).

Reactions:
YES!!!

NOOOOOOOOO

Please reconsider, I have never seen the AI form Prussia
Also I think Sweden should stay lucky too

Have you guys thought of removing lucky status part way through, like at 1700?

DDRyake said Prussia forms in more than 50% of his observer games these days. also i believe some nations DO lose lucky status as the game goes on, but its tag specific.

Reactions:
It always take longer then 5 years. Poland can't take all of TO in one war.... so more like 20 years from game start.

Alot can happen during that time. Not being a lucky nation will mean PLC will have a harder time vs Moscovy /golden horde/Ottoman. So its a small nerf that should mean that TO will be a little bit stronger.

In my current game TO is one of the major players in europe around 1650.
Only reason Prussia has not formed is that I sniped Danzig to get control of trade.
I meant the first war in five years. Poland usually takes half of the Teutons and in the second war they take the rest. Poland being unlucky only slightly improves the chance of Prussia appearing and barely improves the Teutons early chances because Poland's other enemies you mentioned are busy elsewhere.

These Luck changes are a bigger Brandenburg nerf than they are a Poland nerf.

also i believe some nations DO lose lucky status as the game goes on, but its tag specific.
I thought this too, judging by the Wiki, but actually those nations only 'lose' Lucky status in games started after 1700. In normal starts all Lucky nations stay that way until 1821.

Reactions:
NOOOOOOOOO

Please reconsider, I have never seen the AI form Prussia
Also I think Sweden should stay lucky too
Judging from the dev game, it seems like Prussia is well on it´s way to being formed... But it might be changed later if it doesn´t fit PDX
Have you guys thought of removing lucky status part way through, like at 1700?
Or they could simply grant event-modifiers of sorts, that last for say... 50 years to give boost to some nations that had such positions

Reactions:
This DD could be titled 'See? We DO read the suggestions subforum!'

Reactions:
Pdx suddenly changed their all devolopment diaries' date, do you know why? Not just only for merging streams and diaries together in same day but they also budged up in friday for their new game's development diaries.

Monday: CKII (announcement date: 2010)
Tuesday: EUIV (ad: 2012)
Wednesday: HOI4 (ad: 2014)
Thorsday: Stellaris (ad: 2015)
Freyasday: VICIII (ad: 2017)

Personally i prefer Rome II but folks wanted it to be Victoria III then so be it !
I personally believe that Vicky3 would be their best-selling game ever.
Just look at how the community begs for it! Paradox , make it happen :D

Reactions:
-This is weird. I can't find instances of the Knights taking slaves. "It is important to note that the Maltese authorities would neglect to mention the fact that they were making a substantial profit policing the seas and seizing "infidel" ships and cargoes. The authorities on Malta immediately recognised the importance of corsairing to their economy and set about encouraging it, as despite their vows of poverty, the Knights were granted the ability to keep a portion of the spoglio, which was the prize money and cargo gained from a captured ship, along with the ability to fit out their own galleys with their new wealth.[31]

The great controversy that surrounded the knights' corso was their insistence on their policy of 'vista'. This enabled the Order to stop and board all shipping suspected of carrying Turkish goods and confiscate the cargo to be re-sold at Valletta, along with the ship's crew, who were by far the most valuable commodity on the ship." - wikipedia

Reactions:
-This is weird. I can't find instances of the Knights taking slaves.
"This enabled the Order to stop and board all shipping suspected of carrying Turkish goods and confiscate the cargo to be re-sold at Valletta, along with the ship's crew, who were by far the most valuable commodity on the ship."

Wikipedia states, that they sell ship's crew alongside goods. So, you practically contradicted yourself ;D

Reactions:
Judging from the dev game, it seems like Prussia is well on it´s way to being formed...
Are you expecting the Poland player to gift Konigsberg to AI Brandenburg?

Or they could simply grant event-modifiers of sorts, that last for say... 50 years to give boost to some nations that had such positions
They would have to be very large modifiers to be a substitute for Lucky status, but I like the idea of long term, temporary modifiers replacing Lucky status.

The balance of having 10 lucky nations made the likelihood of a strong Russia too uncommon for us, and especially having those 3 as likely lucky nations was too much for Muscowy.

Did you consider to make it more dynamic? Let say 8 lucky nations out of predefined pool of 12-14? It would be interesting to see a slightly different outcome of virtually same game setup because of you know, luck. :-D

Reactions:
Are you expecting the Poland player to gift Konigsberg to AI Brandenburg?
No, but if Poland hadn´t been a player and it was a SP game, it would be very likely that Brandenburg could attain it somehow anyway... However, just because it´s a player, they could very well just sell it to Brandenburg for amusement... There is no way to tell what players will do
They would have to be very large modifiers to be a substitute for Lucky status, but I like the idea of long term, temporary modifiers replacing Lucky status.
They don´t have to be that large, or equal to lucky status... Just enough to make it happen 80% of the time

• Lots of National Ideas have been changed.
As usual, we keep changing the ideas as we add new functionality, and giving people new abilities. There was a rather large following for giving the Knights access to Slave Raiding, as they were rather fearsome pirates, so they gained that ability.

Really HYPED about this. Want to see, what ideas were changed and what new ideas were added (like movement speed bonus as tradition).

Reactions:
  • Vassals fighting each others (i.e. in Japan) now always accept Enforce Peace requests of overlord, but all vassals except the defending peace target get +10 Liberty Desire.
More power to the Emperor! or.. The Shogun!

Horrendously ahistorical Ashikaga power ahoy! You do realise this is pretty much the opposite of what the Japan lobby (I say "the Japan lobby"... it's pretty much
@Grand Historian and myself, or so it seems...) has been campaigning for, right?

Reactions:
Hmm, Ship combat, eh.

Sounds rather good.

Reactions:
Looking forward to it