• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 22nd of September 2016

Hello everyone, and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This time we take a deep look at something different we’re doing for 1.18. This time we are adding and improving features to four different older expansions.

First our is a new feature for Mare Nostrum, called Create Trading City! Now the Merchant Republics that has a Trade League will be able to create a new one-province-minor out of one of their provinces. This new nation will become independent, but part of their Trade League, and they will never leave that Trade League on their own. A Trading City is created from the province view like Client States are. You can decide upon name, shield and color just like creating them.

An AI Trading City will not expand, and there can only be one Trading City in each Trade Node for a Trade League. The government form of a Trading City is a republic with +33% Caravan Power & +10% Trade Efficiency.

eu4_115.png

The second feature is for El Dorado, where we have improved the Nation Designer. In 1.18, if you own both Rights of Man and El Dorado, you will now be able to define which personalities your ruler and heir has from the start.

eu4_113.png

The third feature is for Common Sense where we replace a feature that was obsolete, the Pause Westernisation option. Instead, owners of Common Sense will be able to have a better control of their institution spread when they increase development in a province. Increasing a 30 development city by 1, gives +5 to Institution Progress of the oldest institution not present in the province. It scales to +10 at 60 development, and down to +0.5 in a 3 development rural backwater.

eu4_114.png

And our fourth feature mentioned today Random New World from Conquest of Paradise. In 1.18 we’re adding lots of new tiles, increasing the total by over 37%. There are some tiles that are big enough to be a double-continent, like this familiar and fun territory. This tile was created by community member @Elzephor !

definitely not The Falklands.png

Of course, we’ve done quite a bit of bug-fixing, balancing and AI improvement to previous features. Next week, On TUESDAY, we’ll talk about launcher and multiplayer improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice and unexpected that you are improving and adding to old DLCs! If financially viable, I think it would be interesting if you did more of this in the future.

Reactions:
Do trade cities provide any benefits to local provinces not under their control? Like trade companies do?

Wouldn't mind seeing an option in the future to have a completely random world, not just the New World :D

Nice and unexpected that you are improving and adding to old DLCs! If financially viable, I think it would be interesting if you did more of this in the future.

They do this mostly when they break old features that people paid fore like halt westernization, though a few dlc's like american dream never got that treatment saddly.

Reactions:
They do this mostly when they break old features that people paid fore like halt westernization, though a few dlc's like american dream never got that treatment saddly.
Not for the RNW and Mare Nostrum though, which was what surprised me.

Tbh just hire elzephor as a fulltimer at paradox making RNW tiles for every new patch, hes great!
Aw thanks, unfortunately I'm currently a student buried in course work. But after that, who knows?

Reactions:
There are some tiles that are big enough to be a double-continent, like this familiar and fun territory.

You just had to show off the controversial one! For real though, what's this you say about a double continent? Can we define continents WITHIN tiles now?

Regarding the merchant republic created city states- can they still ally other powers?
If so, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose? They could just get called into an offensive war and dispatched that way.

Reactions:
I am a long time player and I absolutely love all the improvements that have been made to this game over the years. Considering this is dev diary about improving past DLCs, I feel it’s necessary to call attention to “Wealth of Nations” as several of its features seem to have fallen by the wayside….

First, there is a feature that gives merchant republics the ability to create a trade port giving +10 trade power for a single province in each trade node that seems to be getting replaced by ability to release a trading city…

Second, with the massive overhaul to tech with the institutions, how are institutions going to spread from trade company land? In my opinion, they should not spread institutions at all to neighboring territory as in the past it has been impossible to westernize off a trade company core.

That leads to third, all colonies formed in trade company land should automatically form as part of a trade company instead of needing to opt every province into the trade company. The current button should be swapped to opt the province out of the company instead of into one… As it stands, it’s inevitable that a player forgets and/or the AI does so poorly 90% of the time they state all of their overseas territory resulting in the spread of westernization. Am I nuts to be the only one that thinks this?

Reactions:
Tbh just hire elzephor as a fulltimer at paradox making RNW tiles for every new patch, hes great!

I very much doubt RNW deserves anyone at fulltime, considering its a minor part of the game. More tiles or ability of control the RNW however would be very nice.

Well it wouldn't be much of a surprise exploring the random new world if you already knew all the tiles.

I can see the point, but since its randomized anyway you dont really know 100% whats appearing.

You just had to show off the controversial one! For real though, what's this you say about a double continent? Can we define continents WITHIN tiles now?

I think he is referring to the size of the tile being basically the size of North + South America or larger.

I think trading city bonus is better changed to +10% goods produced or +1 merchant or like a development cost reduction. Trade efficiency is a little weak when the city is giving away their trade power. Also, if you create one in an HRE province, would that city be considered HRE? Would they be willing to accept becoming a Free City?

For the development option, can we change some of the modifiers to multiplicative? Like centre of trade give a -10% multiplicative cost reduction that's additive with development efficiency. Capital should get a further -5% multiplicative modifier if you are a Kingdom, and a -10% if you are an Empire.

Second, with the massive overhaul to tech with the institutions, how are institutions going to spread from trade company land? In my opinion, they should not spread institutions at all to neighboring territory as in the past it has been impossible to westernize off a trade company core.

That leads to third, all colonies formed in trade company land should automatically form as part of a trade company instead of needing to opt every province into the trade company. The current button should be swapped to opt the province out of the company instead of into one… As it stands, it’s inevitable that a player forgets and/or the AI does so poorly 90% of the time they state all of their overseas territory resulting in the spread of westernization. Am I nuts to be the only one that thinks this?

They did simulate trade companies spreading instituations in a way, Indian Tech group has lower penalty than Chinese.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Bad traits will grant you points to spend elsewhere and yes, there is a "random" trait which can be chosen for free. Do you feel lucky?

Bad design; it just promotes start scumming. People will restart until they get the traits they want.

Reactions:
Bad design; it just promotes start scumming. People will restart until they get the traits they want.
I've been guilty of this before, but that doesn't mean it's bad design. At the end of the day it doesn't matter a whole lot and most achievements are disabled in custom nation. If people are going to cheat they're going to cheat in worse ways.

Reactions:
If Lubeck takes the province of Danzig/Gdansk, can they release the OPM of Danzig as a trade city instead of creating one from scratch? ;)

(Ditto for Riga, et al...)

Reactions:
Do trade cities provide any benefits to local provinces not under their control? Like trade companies do?

Merchant Republics already boost goods produced in the same way Trade Companies do (except it's based on all the trade power of the Merchant Republic, not just provinces). Trade League members transfer some trade power to the leader, so the leader has more power, meaning bigger bonus to goods produced.

I think trading city bonus is better changed to +10% goods produced or +1 merchant or like a development cost reduction. Trade efficiency is a little weak when the city is giving away their trade power. Also, if you create one in an HRE province, would that city be considered HRE? Would they be willing to accept becoming a Free City?

Trade League membership already gives a ton of goods produced. As for merchants, we're talking about an OPM - how many do they need? I agree that +10% trade efficiency is an irrelevant bonus though. Most likely, their main source of income will be production.

Reactions:
Every dev diary I want time to speed up so this patch-and-DLC is released sooner...