• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know almost nothing of Canadian politics or economics so can you explain to me why this is idea wouldn't work?
It is more geography. It is cold in the Winter. Not comparable to Scandinavia but to mid Siberia where also barely anyone lives if you look at a Russian population distribution chart. Agriculture is difficult in most of this "Mid-Canadian" corridor due to either being in the rockey Canadian Shield, covered in Conifers that make the ground too acidic for agriculture, frozen permaforst, or lacking the chemistry to support agriculture. So any significant population would need food imported which requires infrastructure that doesn't exist (you can't really hunt and gather the amounts required). So that needs to be built and maintained (the temp change and precipitation will cause damage).

Reactions:
It is more geography. It is cold in the Winter. Not comparable to Scandinavia but to mid Siberia where also barely anyone lives if you look at a Russian population distribution chart. Agriculture is difficult in most of this "Mid-Canadian" corridor due to either being in the rockey Canadian Shield, covered in Conifers that make the ground too acidic for agriculture, frozen permaforst, or lacking the chemistry to support agriculture. So any significant population would need food imported which requires infrastructure that doesn't exist (you can't really hunt and gather the amounts required). So that needs to be built and maintained (the temp change and precipitation will cause damage).

i think this plan could be feesible in a New American Order where Canada can use the American Midwest as a giant farming vassal to pump food north to its colonies in the subarctic...at the same time tho, a Canada with that much imperial power in America could just make the American plains states it's lebensraum which would be much easier. Why settle the Yukon when you can colonise Montana?

i think this plan could be feesible in a New American Order where Canada can use the American Midwest as a giant farming vassal to pump food north to its colonies in the subarctic...at the same time tho, a Canada with that much imperial power in America could just make the American plains states it's lebensraum which would be much easier. Why settle the Yukon when you can colonise Montana?

I've played that scenario out myself before, trying to think what to do with the unclaimed midwest after completely Balkanizing America. I gave a bit to the Great Lakes, a bit to FUA and a bit to the PSA along with cores and granted myself cores on the remainder after 10 years of occupation.

i think this plan could be feesible in a New American Order where Canada can use the American Midwest as a giant farming vassal to pump food north to its colonies in the subarctic.
Of course they'd need to build and maintain the infrastructure to even send the food across the whole of Mid-Canada as well as pay for the food to be moved there (the farmers, the transporters, and for storage).

I'm sure there is absolutely no way such things could turn out badly in the slightest with a grand centrally planned move to forcefully develop land of questionable quality on the margins of a country.

Keep in mind that that land was better then the type in the subarctic.

Of course it doesn't always turn out badly (economically) I mean Brasilia accomplished the goal of developing the interiour, but the weather is a bit better.

I should point out that while I don't think it would work, the plan does appeal to BYT sensibilities, We have the benefit of hindsight while they don't.

at the same time tho, a Canada with that much imperial power in America could just make the American plains states it's lebensraum which would be much easier. Why settle the Yukon when you can colonise Montana?
Does Canada even have the people to colonise?

Import island Britons, Australasians and Indians from the Raj with homesteader grants of land and farming tools. Heck, invite Russians, Ukrainians and Poles as well. Good Prairie stock those people.
Population transfers? Comrade Sinister did have some good ideas.:p

I'm not sure that the BYT would want "unreliable" people with a different culture or if the PUR want to come to Canada.

The Canadian born descendent of exhile would probably want more Britons to move to Canada simply to make sure Canada remains the preemminent White Dominion. When Britain recovers from its shell-shock its larger population means its interest will come first over the Imperial-Americans. Also if there is a nuclear war scare the BYT might want to "spread" Imperial civilization out.

If they go ad campaign I could an easy slogan.

A country lane,
A cottage small,
Beside a field of grain.
There'll always be an Empire.

(insert image prop home in the Canadian subarctic during summer)

Also I think the Imperials would like this part of the lyrics.

Red, white and blue; what does it mean to you?
Surely you're proud, shout it aloud,
"Britons, awake!"
The empire too, we can depend on you.
Freedom remains. These are the chains
Nothing can break.

The American Midwest is all empty and cut off from the AUS so it hasn't seen much settlement, as the people who world settle it historically in the post WW2 decades are barred from going there. (Aside from the economic isolation which must have greatly depressed agricultural prices in the region)

The same holds true for California. Historically millions from the eastern USA moved to CA to take part on the immense WW2 and post WW2 boom, turning California from a sunny agricultural state into a densely urbanized economic powerhouse. In this TL California has been cut off from the historic sources of its immigrant populations. Which must have greatly held back its economic development, compared to OTL.

So if Canada wants to "develop" lands under its rule, why choose the icy wastes? Why not simply encourage "imperial" immigration into its ex-US puppet states, where conditions for economic prosperity are incomparably better than in northern Canada?

The American Midwest is all empty and cut off from the AUS so it hasn't seen much settlement, as the people who world settle it historically in the post WW2 decades are barred from going there. (Aside from the economic isolation which must have greatly depressed agricultural prices in the region)

The same holds true for California. Historically millions from the eastern USA moved to CA to take part on the immense WW2 and post WW2 boom, turning California from a sunny agricultural state into a densely urbanized economic powerhouse. In this TL California has been cut off from the historic sources of its immigrant populations. Which must have greatly held back its economic development, compared to OTL.

So if Canada wants to "develop" lands under its rule, why choose the icy wastes? Why not simply encourage "imperial" immigration into its ex-US puppet states, where conditions for economic prosperity are incomparably better than in northern Canada?
Not any logical reason. Given that the heads of the Empire are now Canadian-Imperial they might just do it out of a desire to ensure their country remains the top in the Commonwealth. Why improve the American Republics subordinate to Canada's will when they can spend the money on themselves and ensure their top position? As far as I am aware Empires and colonialism tended towards that model.

Also misguided ideas about long term planning and perceived returns. Our North is untapped and has no development, well if we develop that then obviously we'll get great riches and cement our legacy.

The BYT are an exclusive club that direct the Empire. The Soviet Union also though they would apply scientific and rational management but that didn't prevent them from making developmental blunders.

Reactions:
They're going to Mittelafrika, largely.
I think only small amounts of criminal elements are since Goering can pay them off and they would have the stomach for what's required. Goering probably wouldn't too many since he seems to see Mittelafrika as a Teutonic Bastion or something.

Eastern Europe probably has a lot less emigration simply because they haven't been destroyed in World War.

Mexican immigration and AUS refugees could probably achieve the same outcome in Califorina.

I think only small amounts of criminal elements are since Goering can pay them off and they would have the stomach for what's required. Goering probably wouldn't too many since he seems to see Mittelafrika as a Teutonic Bastion or something.

Eastern Europe probably has a lot less emigration simply because they haven't been destroyed in World War.

Only reposting what I remember being said, I think it was the Goring self-promotion chapter explaining the background of his decision. And that's precisely part of the reason they're going - not much war damage, but a lot of economic malaise tied to their uncertain political fate under Germany resulting in surplus of people with not many prospects for them at home. As for race, Goering is moving more towards a vision of a new ethnicity of white man, the lone one braving into, guarding western civilization in Africa. I don't think he really is into the German exclusivity of it all.

Reactions:
Only reposting what I remember being said,
I remember criminals and political reactionaries from Eastern Europe. With an emphasis on low standards.
Dispatches from German officials in Goering’s court back to Berlin noted that these Sideler-Truppen had no particular loyalty to Germany itself, but to the Staathalter individually, and comprised a significant criminal element.
And that's precisely part of the reason they're going - not much war damage, but a lot of economic malaise tied to their uncertain political fate under Germany resulting in surplus of people with not many prospects for them at home.
Even if that were true, I don't think there would be a mass migration to German Colonial Africa.

Ok, I'm not sure about the Russians, but I'm pretty sure the type of Poles willing to be part or a white supremacist regime would be the type to stay in Poland to agitage against the Germans for the Polish majority areas still under the Kaiserreich and attempts by Germany to push for Lebensraum.

As for race, Goering is moving more towards a vision of a new ethnicity of white man, the lone one braving into, guarding western civilization in Africa. I don't think he really is into the German exclusivity of it all.
True I guess. Given how inconsistent Nazis were with the whole Aryan thing. Also to avoid loyalty to Germany.

A 'found footage' style interlude...

===================

ROYAL LIVERPOOL AND LANCASHIRE DISTRICT CRIMINAL COURT
CASE RECORDS – APRIL AND MAY, 1950
HIS HONOR JUDGE G.T. GREEN KC AND HIS HONOR JUDGE T. POWELL KC VARIOUSLY PRESIDING​

==== SECRET - B.R.A. CLASS 4 EYES ONLY ====​

Crown vs. Mitchell, E.
CHARGE: Lèse-majesté
SYNOPSIS:
Constables entered the defendant's dwelling on an unrelated matter, and observed a failure to display the King-Emperor’s portrait. A prohibited copy (dated 02/19/1937) of a former regime newspaper was also discovered.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Fine of $50.00 and attendance at a desyndicalization course.

Crown vs. Taylor, B.
CHARGE: Involuntary Manslaughter
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, when inebriated, fought with another man outside a public house. The victim fell, striking his head on a tramline and later died. The court acknowledged the defendant's remorse and Weltkrieg war record as a mark of previous good character.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: 2 years supervised public labor, 4 years imprisonment suspended.

Ministry of Health Docket #62762
CHARGE: N/A
SYNOPSIS:
The Court gave kind permission for the removal from this district of 56 war orphans, indigents and children of unfit parents, to be resettled in the overseas Dominions.

VERDICT: N/A

Crown vs. Kinney, J.
CHARGE: Prohibited Expression
SYNOPSIS: The defendant was heard by a member of the public singing prohibited syndicalist songs.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Fine of $25.00 and attendance at a desyndicalization course.

Crown vs. Smith, M.
CHARGE: Abetting Larceny
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was resident in a dwelling in which her lover stored stolen goods. (See Crown vs. Burley, G.)

VERDICT: Not Guilty. Dismissed due to lack of evidence of intent.

Crown vs. Burley, G.
CHARGE: Grand Larceny, Economic Sabotage
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, with accomplices, stole goods from homes and private businesses, amounting to $667.34 in value. The defendant declined to name accomplices.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: 10 years imprisonment, and transportation to the Hudson Bay penal settlements.

Crown vs. “Wilkins, B.”
CHARGE: Crimes Against Humanity, Contempt of Court
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was living under an alias, concealing her identity as Elizabeth Abbott, a known Mosleyite apparatchik wanted in association with the disappearance and/or murder of 14 political resistors during the former regime. The defendant demanded trial by jury despite trial by jury having been abolished, and was further charged with contempt of court.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Death by electric chair.

Crown vs. Bennington, M.
CHARGE: Public Disorder
SYNOPSIS:
Constables apprehended the defendant in a state of inebriation, when he was observed urinating in public view.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Four weeks supervised public labor.

Crown vs. Willis, T.
CHARGE: Trading Without License
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was apprehended trading black market goods without a license. The defendant is noted to be a serial offender.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Transportation to the Outback penal settlements.

Crown vs. Daley, R.
SYNOPSIS:
Constables received information that the defendant displayed Syndicalist symbols. Upon entering the property, Constables determined that the Syndicalist symbols in question were decorative patches on uniforms belonging to the defendant's husband, a UoB soldier deceased in the Liberation War.

VERDICT: Not guilty. Dismissed due to lack of evidence of intent. Court ordered removal of the Syndicalist symbols from the articles in question.

Ministry of Health Docket #62763
SYNOPSIS: The Court gave kind permission for the removal from this district of 203 war orphans, indigents and children of unfit parents, to be resettled in the overseas Dominions.

Crown vs. Mayfield, N.
CHARGE: Dangerous Driving
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, a RAF officer, was observed driving a 1948 Imperial Motors Model Y Coupe at approximately 50mph in a 30mph zone.

VERDICT: Dismissed due to lack of jurisdiction and referred to military tribunal.

Crown vs. Wilson, C.
CHARGE: Assault and Battery
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant entered the dwelling of the victim, where he threatened and beat him. The police suspected connection to the black market and organized crime.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentenced: 3 years imprisonment, and transportation to the Outback penal settlements.

Crown vs. Vaughn, H.
CHARGE: Suicide and Public Endangerment
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant’s family were killed by bombing in the Liberation. She attempted to commit suicide by inhaling coal gas. Neighbors detected the gas, thwarting the attempt, and the dwelling was ventilated without injury.

VERDICT: Guilty. Defendant remanded to the care of IBOL.

Crown vs. Dubois, P.
CHARGE: Public Disorder and Public Indecency
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, a corporal attached to the 15th Canadian Infantry Brigade (Les Fusiliers De Sherbrooke), was observed by members of the public undertaking an indecent act with an unidentified female in a public alleyway.

VERDICT: Dismissed due to lack of jurisdiction and referred to military tribunal.

Crown vs. Callaghan, J.
CHARGE: Ration Card Fraud
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was apprehended using his ration card fraudulently, improperly obtaining beef, eggs, chewing gum and milk powder with a value of $4.42.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Fine of $15.00, suspension of IBOL entitlements for a period of 1 year.

Crown vs. ‘John Doe’
CHARGE: Vagrancy
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was a vagrant, living in disused buildings. Medical examination ordered by the court indicated the defendant was a veteran suffering from shell-shock.
VERDICT: Dismissed. Defendant remanded to the care of IBOL.

Crown vs. Dennis, S.
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was alleged to have failed to return a greeting of “God Save the King” while at work. The defendant maintained he had not heard the greeting over the sound of machinery.

VERDICT: Not guilty due to lack of evidence.

Crown vs. Jones, S & C.
CHARGE: Prohibited Expression.
SYNOPSIS:
The defendants, husband and wife, were apprehended distributing Syndicalist materials and agitating among workers. This was their third offence.

VERDICT: Guilty. The defendants were judged to be inveterate syndicalists. Sentence: Transportation to the Hudson Bay penal settlements and Outback penal settlements respectively. Four children, aged 6, 4, 3 and 2, seized and remanded to crown guardianship.

Ministry of Health Docket #62764
SYNOPSIS: The Court gave kind permission for the removal from this district of 165 war orphans, indigents and children of unfit parents, to be resettled in the overseas Dominions.

Last edited:
Reactions:
A 'found footage' style interlude...

===================

ROYAL LIVERPOOL AND LANCASHIRE DISTRICT CRIMINAL COURT
CASE RECORDS – APRIL AND MAY, 1950
HIS HONOR JUDGE G.T. GREEN KC AND HIS HONOR JUDGE T. POWELL KC VARIOUSLY PRESIDING​

==== SECRET - B.R.A. CLASS 4 EYES ONLY ====​

Crown vs. Mitchell, E.
SYNOPSIS:
Constables entered the defendant's dwelling on an unrelated matter, and observed a failure to display the King-Emperor’s portrait. A prohibited copy (dated 02/19/1937) of a former regime newspaper was also discovered.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Fine of $50.00 and attendance at a desyndicalization course.

Crown vs. Taylor, B.
CHARGE: Involuntary Manslaughter
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, when inebriated, fought with another man outside a public house. The victim fell, striking his head on a tramline and later died. The court acknowledged the defendant's remorse and Weltkrieg war record as a mark of previous good character.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: 2 years supervised public labor, 4 years imprisonment suspended.

Ministry of Health Docket #62762
SYNOPSIS:
The Court gave kind permission for the removal from this district of 236 war orphans, indigents and children of unfit parents, to be resettled in the overseas Dominions.

Crown vs. Kinney, J.
SYNOPSIS: The defendant was heard by a member of the public singing prohibited syndicalist songs.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Fine of $25.00 and attendance at a desyndicalization course.

Crown vs. Smith, M.
CHARGE: Abetting Larceny
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was resident in a dwelling in which her lover stored stolen goods. (See Crown vs. Burley, G.)

VERDICT: Not Guilty. Dismissed due to lack of evidence of intent.

Crown vs. Burley, G.
CHARGE: Grand Larceny, Economic Sabotage
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, with accomplices, stole goods from homes and private businesses, amounting to $667.34 in value. The defendant declined to name accomplices.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: 10 years imprisonment, and transportation to the Hudson Bay penal settlements.

Crown vs. “Wilkins, B.”
CHARGE: Crimes Against Humanity
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was living under an alias, concealing her identity as Elizabeth Abbott, a known Mosleyite apparatchik wanted in association with the disappearance and/or murder of 14 political resistors during the former regime.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Death by electric chair.

Crown vs. Bennington, M.
CHARGE: Public Disorder
SYNOPSIS:
Constables apprehended the defendant in a state of inebriation, when he was observed urinating in public view.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Four weeks supervised public labor.

Crown vs. Willis, T.
CHARGE: Trading Without License
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was apprehended trading black market goods without a license. The defendant is noted to be a serial offender.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Transportation to the Outback penal settlements.

Crown vs. Daley, R.
SYNOPSIS:
Constables received information that the defendant displayed Syndicalist symbols. Upon entering the property, Constables determined that the Syndicalist symbols in question were decorative patches on uniforms belonging to the defendant's husband, a UoB soldier deceased in the Liberation War.

VERDICT: Not guilty. Dismissed due to lack of evidence of intent. Court ordered removal of the Syndicalist symbols from the articles in question.

Ministry of Health Docket #62763
SYNOPSIS: The Court gave kind permission for the removal from this district of 178 war orphans, indigents and children of unfit parents, to be resettled in the overseas Dominions.

Crown vs. Mayfield, N.
CHARGE: Dangerous Driving
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, a RAF officer, was observed driving a 1948 Imperial Motors Model Y Coupe at approximately 50mph in a 30mph zone.

Crown vs. Wilson, C.
CHARGE: Assault and Battery
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant entered the dwelling of the victim, where he threatened and beat him. The police suspected connection to the black market and organized crime.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentenced: 3 years imprisonment, and transportation to the Outback penal settlements.

Crown vs. Vaughn, H.
CHARGE: Suicide and Public Endangerment
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant’s family were killed by bombing in the Liberation. She attempted to commit suicide by inhaling coal gas. Neighbors detected the gas, thwarting the attempt, and the dwelling was ventilated without injury.

VERDICT: Guilty. Defendant remanded to the care of IBOL.

Crown vs. Dubois, P.
CHARGE: Public Disorder and Public Indecency
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant, a corporal attached to the 15th Canadian Infantry Brigade (Les Fusiliers De Sherbrooke), was observed by members of the public undertaking an indecent act with an unidentified female in a public alleyway.

Crown vs. Callaghan, J.
CHARGE: Ration Card Fraud
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was apprehended using his ration card fraudulently, improperly obtaining beef, eggs, chewing gum and milk powder with a value of $4.42.

VERDICT: Guilty. Sentence: Fine of $15.00, suspension of IBOL entitlements for a period of 1 year.

Crown vs. ‘John Doe’
CHARGE: Vagrancy
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was a vagrant, living in disused buildings. Medical examination ordered by the court indicated the defendant was a veteran suffering from shell-shock.
VERDICT: Dismissed. Defendant remanded to the care of IBOL.

Crown vs. Dennis, S,
SYNOPSIS:
The defendant was alleged to have failed to return a greeting of “God Save the King” while at work. The defendant maintained he had not heard the greeting over the sound of machinery.

VERDICT: Not Guilty.

Crown vs. Jones, S & C.
CHARGE: Prohibited Expression.
SYNOPSIS:
The defendants, husband and wife, were apprehended distributing Syndicalist materials and agitating among workers. This was their third offence.

VERDICT: Guilty. The defendants were judged to be inveterate syndicalists. Sentence: Transportation to the Hudson Bay penal settlements and Outback penal settlements respectively. Four children, aged 6, 4, 3 and 2, seized and remanded to crown guardianship.

Ministry of Health Docket #62764
SYNOPSIS: The Court gave kind permission for the removal from this district of 203 war orphans, indigents and children of unfit parents, to be resettled in the overseas Dominions.

Wow. Honestly expected worse with this. Shows that even these pseudo-Fascists are still better then other regimes in some ways.

Oh god, Lese Majeste. That has been illegal in Britain since 1689. The Canuks, you monsters: must you destroy the british constitution also!?!

The removal of children thing is rather sinister though, strikes me of the aussie aboriginal children being taken from their parents.