HOI4 - Development Diary - September 2nd 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No wonder why I gave up playing the vanilla... I'll still wait for a couple more updates then comeback to test the game.
So far, it has been a great disapointment. But, since I'm a huge Paradox fan, I can wait for the gem to be polished and leave its current stat of "diamond in the rough"...

Reactions:
Sounds good. Thanks for all the hard work.

I really like the collapsible division queue. Would love to at least see the ability to collapse the production lines to one line. That would also help. that window gets annoying to scroll through.
Agreed. Though till they change the UI there is a mod that epands the size here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756097675

Towards the DD. You guys are balancing and addressing more then I though you had time for! Again super impressed with the hoi team. I know you guys are working very hard.

Shout out to @SteelVolt, I'm loving the new ai moves that Daniel was showing off. Much love towards you! Great work :).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Agreed. Though till they change the UI there is a mod that epands the size here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756097675

Towards the DD. You guys are balancing and addressing more then I though you had time for! Again super impressed with the hoi team. I know you guys are working very hard.

Shout out to @SteelVolt, I'm loving the new ai moves that Daniel was showing off. Much love towards towards you! Great work :).

nice mod. will check it out tonight. As long as Ironman works I will be happy with this at the moment.

And on a somewhat random note, are there any plans for more achievements in the immediate future? There aren't really that many of them right now. A few that I think would be kind of neat.

Hapsburg Resurgence: conquer Hungary as Austria
South American Hegemony: start as Brazil, Argentina or Venezuela and own all of South America
Ottoman Rebirth: conquer the Balkans, Greece, Egypt and North Africa as fascist Turkey
Glory of the Commonwealth: As Poland, be in a faction with Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania and occupy Moscow and Leningrad
Northern Steel: As Sweden, conquer Norway, Denmark, and Finland
Pax Americana: As the United States, have every country in the Americas as a puppet or a member of a faction you are the leader of (note: does not include Europeans who have territory in the Americas)
The Good ol' Days: conquer the United States and Ireland as the United Kingdom
Pacific Rim: Conquer the entire Pacific as Japan

Reactions:
Script update
We feel it is a shame that so many of the Soviet loving players chose to avoid the fiery alternate history path that picks Leon Trotsky. It simply has not made sense from a pure gameplay perspective. We’ve added a focus to address the issue that Trotsky is a much weaker choice than Stalin.

After winning the civil war, a Soviet player will be able to pick the focus ‘Permanent Revolution’, which unlocks parts of the same tree that ‘The Great Purge’ does.
T3FhsqQ.png

Once the focus is completed, Trotsky’s trait will change to ‘Triumphant Revolutionary’. This will remove his Political Power penalty and make it much cheaper to help fuel more righteous worker revolutions across the globe.

“The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.”- Trotsky
xAHIbTP.png

The focus trees have long been a source of many weird, funny and frustrating bugs.
The exiled government of Germany would demand Memel from Lithuania, who would then lie down flat and hand over the territory. Countries would welcome their invaders by building infrastructure and factories in the occupied territories. Diplomatic pressure on Turkey would make them a puppet of the exiled Germany. The USA would view a democratic Germany as still being ‘The Fascist Menace’ and jump at the first chance of war with them. Japan would go for war with the USA, despite being pushed back to the islands by the Chinese.

These and many other issues with the National Foci have been addressed in the upcoming patch.

I’ll mention a few of the general changes here:
  • As a general rule foci are blocked when a country has capitulated. We’ve added an option in script to unblock it for when the foci still make sense to complete.
  • Adding buildings via focus should now look for control of the state before building.
  • Blocked some of the foci leading to war if the nation has the same ideology.

At the moment there are some AI issues left to deal with, but if all goes well I hope we can get the Sunflower patch wrapped up during next week, at least as an open beta for public testing. Thanks for being patient!

How about tweaking the Soviet-German pact focus, if Germany has gone Communist? It shouldn't have internal problems then, since its natural for the commies to ally each other.

Reactions:
@podcat I feel like minor European fascists could get some more love too. And Italy could always do with more flavor. I'm also sure there a lot more of that you are working on that we aren't being told about so I'm not totally worried

Reactions:
Reactions:
GUI improvements
Managing a lot of divisions training in parallel can get hard to get an overview of so now it’s possible to compact the entries. As an added help we now color training that is blocked by lack of equipment making it much easier to manage your queue size.
I like the other fixes, too, but this is very exciting. :)

Oh, and we forgot to mention what is going on with the AI. This week I have been working hard on follow up issues of last week (especially things like encirclement avoidance and AI avoiding overruns, not to mention template design capabilities and scriptability), which means that the AI is progressing steadily towards greateness, or at the very least better...ness...isch.

I am looking forward to get the patch into your hands and see what you think :)
I think many of us are looking forward to putting our hands on HOI4 with an upgraded AI.

China is an obvious candidate. I can definitely see us fleshing out that part in the future.
I'd enjoy an expanded China experience.

I'd like to suggest an event that fires when Japan has been thrown out of China and Korea to make a peace offering that lets China keeps what it gains. My reasoning is that China can't invade the Japanese Home Islands so this change could leave Japan sitting idle rather than changing strategies to pick on the USA and foreign holdings in the Pacific.

yeah, its something I'd like to add eventually

@podcat

Permanent Revolution, eh? :D :D :D

(I will definitely use your awesome new icon)

PS: your screenshots reveal that these basic bugs have not been addressed: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nch-division-template-names-are-wrong.951053/

yeah we havent had time to get to low prio stuff like text that much.

@developers

Any chance of being able to drag and drop items in the build menu, rather than having to shift-click arrows?

I would love drag and drop in every interface, but to be honest our GUI system is horrific. Doing drag and drop takes so much effort and complexity to add that we often avoid it. Could happen eventually though, but its bad bang-for-buck coder time.

@podcat I feel like minor European fascists could get some more love too. And Italy could always do with more flavor. I'm also sure there a lot more of that you are working on that we aren't being told about so I'm not totally worried
yea, I'd love to do a european minor content pack in the future to flesh them all out.

Reactions:
Not really. 10 times worse things happen in multiplayer or player vs AI games all the time, Japan is a major and when controlled by a skilled player should be able to have a big influence on the part of the world where it focuses.
( I'm not saying this is great, but that it's certainly not a step down from how the game works now ).

I know, but does say something about the AI or the game mechanics to allow this so easily...So, hoping for more sanity constraints in 1.2. I don't think Romania would be able to send troops to China on a large scale even today...

Reactions:
Naval Balance
There has been a bunch of reports about the submarine game not working so well, so this week we fixed bugs and tweaked submarines and convoy raiding. The big bug was that raiders would attack empty routes (supply convoy routes to places with enough local supply, so that they weren't used), this meant that they would be attacking non-existent convoys in a bunch of places rather than real ones making it appear as if it was impossible to catch anything there. General detection was also too low and has been tweaked up. The way sunk convoys affected efficiency of transport also had problems and have been tweaked for much stronger impact now. Starving out islands with a lot of defenders work a lot better now and raiding convoys can be pretty potent!
@podcat
This is good read, but it raises a question... was anything re: convoys done on the defender end? Specifically, currently the AI is very bad at noticing it's losing convoys and/or reacting to it with production increase (or with, say, not trying to move everything through the Channel as Germany) As a result, by 41-42 most nations don't have enough convoys to ferry their troops anywhere, and they become effectively land-locked (with dozens divisions trapped in Africa e.g.) And that's just from nearly 'passive' current losses dealt to trade convoys and such. So reading here that now the subs are getting more competent and lethal, the nations are likely to lose their convoys at even greater rate, and the resulting land-lock may be happening even faster..?

Last edited:
Reactions:
@podcat, why not start with giving China a focus tree, but then making only 3 trees for all the non-neutral minors for the time being?

A minor Fascist tree, a minor Commie tree, and a minor Democracy tree? And the current generic tree covering all the neutrals.

That way, for the time being, you will have to only create 4 new trees and already have starting points for more specific national trees in the future!

Reactions:
This might have been suggested already but it would be really helpful if you could assign divisions under construction to commands via the theatre icons. I play paradox games in windowed mode and unfortunately with the smaller screen the construction menue tends to block out all but one or two of the commands on the bottom of the screen. This means that if I have a training/garrison command and start building a new division type I need to reform the training command so it will appear far enough to the right of the screen for me to tell the new division to go there. This gets even more complicated if the number of commands has moved to the second row.

Reactions:
Please fix the naval interface so that you can easily assign ships back and forth from selected fleets like in HoI3.

Currently if you make a mistake, say transfer the wrong ship out of fleet A to fleet B, you have to reselect only fleet B, then split the ship in question to fleet C. Then you have to select both fleets A and C and hit G (merge). In HoI3 you only needed to click one button to fix a mistake like this.

Also if you could sort ships always by class (tech level and variants included), that'd be great. IIRC this is how HoI3 did it (e.g. level 1 CLs were all bunched together in a fleet of various levels of CLs, not all over the place like in HoI4).

Reactions: