• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 18th of August 2016

Good afternoon. It's Thursday and that means we in the EU4 team are being shaken down for Dev Diaries. With Johan cooking something up for you all at Gamescom, I'm back in the saddle to bring you another taster of what's to come in our upcoming [name-leak patched] expansion.

Fetishists were introduced lately, diversifying the Pagan religions by having a tailor-made African variant. While they have some purposed African events, the religion was left without its own mechanics, leaving it looking at its religious brothers with envious eyes.

No longer! As a feature in the upcoming expansion, Fetishist nations will have a choice of Cult granting them bonuses and unique events. Where in Africa you start will determine the Cults which are available to you, giving Central Africans a different starting Cult selection from, say, the West Africans

eu4_2.png

"Starting" Cult selection you say? Yes. The mechanic will look similar for those of you who enjoy some Hindu campaigns but our Fetishist friends can add some extra tools to their belt as they forge their destinies.

Each Fetishist nation will start with 3 Cults available to them, which can be chosen from by each new ruler. Additional Cults can be unlocked through interaction with other faith groups. Through fighting, bordering with alliance or ownership of heathen land, you can unlock additional cults based on that faith. Each monarch can choose one Cult to worship, granting a national bonus and unlocking events for that cult.

eu4_3.png

Last I counted, there are 17 in total If you've been putting off that Victorian Three achievement run, 1.18 is the patch to go for it. Fetishist Cults, along with the Coptic Holy Sites mentioned before, are paid features in the upcoming expansion which will be released alongside the 1.18 free patch.

Between the changes in the throne room, the religious mechanics, Great Powers, Traits, Personalities and tech overhaul, you could be forgiven for thinking we have run out of things to reveal about the upcoming expansion and patch. You would still be far from the truth though. We'll be back with another Dev Diary next week to talk not just about what you can do for your subjects, but what your subjects can do for you.

Reactions:
What about moddability? Being able to add custom cults would be a nice feature!

No, they hardcoded this so that you need to know C++ to change it :p
It's moddable, they would make it harder for themselves if they made it any other way.

Last edited:
The laestadians are finnish/tornedalian, not sami, though they have some converts obviously.

Both Laestadius and his wife were Sami. His whole message of denying pleasure had to do with problems with severe alcoholism in Sami communities. He preached in swedish Lappland and spoke swedish as his first language. If he was anything but sami, it was swedish - but he was sami.

http://www.samer.se/1208

Zorastrian is unlikely to get more to them other than their decisions. Like Judaism, it's not because we don't want to give them mechanics, but because they are so tiny, isolated and, outside of very fringe cases or Nation Designer, unplayable religions. Yes, Norse got mechanics but, well, Swedish company.

You forgot the converter and fantasy scenarios. ;)

Original mechanics are probably unreasonable, but I think people would be fine with them just piggy-backing off the mechanics of another religion like Norse do. It wouldn't come up often, but as fewer and fewer religions in the game are "generic" (i.e. no mechanic at all), it's a shame they don't get anything at all.

Reactions:
You forgot the converter and fantasy scenarios. ;)

Original mechanics are probably unreasonable, but I think people would be fine with them just piggy-backing off the mechanics of another religion like Norse do. It wouldn't come up often, but as fewer and fewer religions in the game are "generic" (i.e. no mechanic at all), it's a shame they don't get anything at all.
I think that the lack of a vic2 to hoi4 converter says what they think of converters these days. Which is sad because the converter is one of the coolest things ever.

I think that the lack of a vic2 to hoi4 converter says what they think of converters these days. Which is sad because the converter is one of the coolest things ever.
That's probably mostly due to Vic2 not really being supported anymore. If Vic3 ever releases, I believe the chances for an EU4→Vic3 or Vic3→HoI4 converter is higher.

Reactions:
That's probably mostly due to Vic2 not really being supported anymore. If Vic3 ever releases, I believe the chances for an EU4→Vic3 or Vic3→HoI4 converter is higher.
I hope you are right. Is there a fan made Vic2 HoI4 converter yet?

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to dispel some of the confusion regarding the Sami people in this thread.

Today, the Sami people are mostly Lutheran in Finland, Sweden and Norway, with some Orthodox congregations. The most common offshoot is Laestadianism. There is an increasing number of agnostics and atheists, but the percentages are much lower than in cities or in the southern parts of the Nordics. There is also an increase in neo-pagans, but the numbers are statistically insignificant, and I don't know how much of the original belief has survived in these movements (although I might be a bit biased in dismissing this as new age mumbo-jumbo, so feel free to do your own research).

Earlier, both the traditional religion and way of life were discouraged. There are very few, if any, 'traditional' Sami today, the Sami way of life having died out in the 1900s with increased infrastructure, education, assimilation and connectivity. In the latter half of the 1900s, the Nordic governments have lent their support to Sami language, customs and national culture (think duodji, reindeer husbandry, music, Sámediggi etc). Notably, however, this does not include religion.
I simply cannot stress this enough. There is no governmental support for a shamanistic Sami religion, (except for some minor governor in Troms recognizing the existence of neo-pagans, which hardly says anything) and there are no original pagans left. The Lutheranism practiced by the Sami is the same as anywhere else, it's impossible to find any traces of syncretism.

With this being said, I do think adding minority religions (and ethnicities) would contribute to the depth of the gaming experience for the player. In the case of the Sami, this would mean their religion would be represented for almost the whole timeline of the game.

ADD: I avoided talking about the Kola Sami in this post, because I know very little about them and, due to the Soviet Union, their treatment was harsher. There's quite few Sami in the Kola regardless.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to dispel some of the confusion regarding the Sami people in this thread.

Today, the Sami people are mostly Lutheran in Finland, Sweden and Norway, with some Orthodox congregations. The most common offshoot is Laestadianism. There is an increasing number of agnostics and atheists, but the percentages are much lower than in cities or in the southern parts of the Nordics. There is also an increase in neo-pagans, but the numbers are statistically insignificant, and I don't know how much of the original belief has survived in these movements (although I might be a bit biased in dismissing this as new age mumbo-jumbo, so feel free to do your own research).

Earlier, both the traditional religion and way of life were discouraged. There are very few, if any, 'traditional' Sami today, the Sami way of life having died out in the 1900s with increased infrastructure, education, assimilation and connectivity. In the latter half of the 1900s, the Nordic governments have lent their support to Sami language, customs and national culture (think duodji, reindeer husbandry, music, Sámediggi etc). Notably, however, this does not include religion.
I simply cannot stress this enough. There is no governmental support for a shamanistic Sami religion, (except for some minor governor in Troms recognizing the existence of neo-pagans, which hardly says anything) and there are no original pagans left. The Lutheranism practiced by the Sami is the same as anywhere else, it's impossible to find any traces of syncretism.

With this being said, I do think adding minority religions (and ethnicities) would contribute to the depth of the gaming experience for the player. In the case of the Sami, this would mean their religion would be represented for almost the whole timeline of the game.

ADD: I avoided talking about the Kola Sami in this post, because I know very little about them and, due to the Soviet Union, their treatment was harsher. There's quite few Sami in the Kola regardless.
Culture and religion are not separate entities, I had a book with sami folk tales as a kid and those still were christian sami folk tales. And that is an example of syncretism.

Reactions:
Culture and religion are not separate entities, I had a book with sami folk tales as a kid and those still were christian sami folk tales. And that is an example of syncretism.
I thought we were primarily talking about religion. There is no syncretistic Sami-Christian religion practiced by the Sami people in any significant manner. Naturally the original culture has survived to some degree as it has integrated into the prevailing cultures in areas where the Sami people are prevalent.

I thought we were primarily talking about religion. There is no syncretistic Sami-Christian religion practiced by the Sami people in any significant manner. Naturally the original culture has survived to some degree as it has integrated into the prevailing cultures in areas where the Sami people are prevalent.
My guess is that those stories used to be religion but after being absorbed they became folklore, culture instead.