HOI4 - Development Diary - 19th Of August 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Hi everyone! It's been a very empty office this week between gamescom and sickness (I'm starting to wonder if the CK2 team is testing their new plague expansion stuff on us!) but we've still managed to get some stuff done on the Sunflower(1.2) patch.

Port Strikes
As many of you have noted port strikes are very hard to defend against and feel unbalanced. You can now only perform port strikes if enemy air superiority isn't above a certain level (30% is what we are testing atm), basically it means there needs to be no defenders or you need to have air superiority for the mission to perform at all. We are also adding stacking penalty in the same way land combats work, to simulate that there just isn't enough room for 1000 bombers to strike the same small fleet. We have also been looking at some other naval issues, but more about that in the future.

AI

The main focuses this week for AI has been making sure ai upgrades its templates better and naval missions.

The naval mission AI should now use the ships at its disposal much better and prioritize defending invasions. The issues with Ai creating long invasion plans it could not cover and never managing to invade japanese home island shouldn't happen anymore now for example. It also had a tendency to be overly protective of areas with convoy raiding leading to very nonoptimal fleets being organized for hunting.

When it comes to division templates SteelVolt managed to squash some bugs related to switching them out and we now have a scriptable progression system for the AI to use. It was for example not able to realise that it could progress its light armor templates to medium armor templates before. I imagine this will be very welcome among modders as well to be able to custom tweak nations. For those who dare to look at code, here is an example:
Code:
light_armor_default = {
    target_width = 19.9
    width_weight = 0.1
    column_swap_factor = 0.1

stat_weights = {
        <snip>
    }

target_template = {
        weight = 0.9

support = {
            engineer = 1
            recon = 1
            artillery = 1
        }

regiments = {
            light_armor = 4
            motorized = 5
            infantry = 1
        }
    }

allowed_types = {
        <snip>
    }

replace_at_match = 0.9
    replace_with = medium_armor_default
}
The important bit here being
replace_at_match = 0.9
replace_with = medium_armor_default

This is an example from the light armor template, which will change to the medium armor template once it has a match of 90%.

Do note that the "entry point" of a template must follow the naming convention given (for example 'light_armor_default'), but after that it should work with any name at all, meaning those templates would not be picked by AI in any other way than through the scripted progression.

If you don't spend all day looking at code, the above basically translates into more interesting AI opponents ;)

Other AI improvements we have been working on this week is improving its avoidance of small encirclements and making sure it can handle building of nuclear reactors for late game, so beware nukes flying :). Next week for ai we plan to focus on many minor issues to improve AI performance, like making sure it doesn't tie up too much equipment in training when it needs it in the field to help with casualties.

The plan for the patch is to be able to release it (as a open beta first) in 2-3 weeks barring any outbreaks of plague. Next Friday we'll have some more updates for you as well as talk about some new additions that will be in the patch:
DbCNJmR.png

Reactions:
Hi Podcat

Thank you for the DD. Great news.

General questions to port strikes...
Is the strike happening in the adjacent seazone or at the land zone of the port. I.e. where do I need to send my defending fighters?

Thank you and have a well earned weekend.

Reactions:
Is the strike happening in the adjacent seazone or at the land zone of the port. I.e. where do I need to send my defending fighters?

strikes happen on the port which is part of the land state. So you need to defend your homeland basically.

Reactions:
Port Strikes
As many of you have noted port strikes are very hard to defend against and feel unbalanced. You can now only perform port strikes if enemy air superiority isn't above a certain level (30% is what we are testing atm), basically it means there needs to be no defenders or you need to have air superiority for the mission to perform at all. We are also adding stacking penalty in the same way land combats work, to simulate that there just isn't enough room for 1000 bombers to strike the same small fleet. We have also been looking at some other naval issues, but more about that in the future.
So your answer to this problem to create even more abstraction?
Why should those port strikes be impossible if enemy have some planes there? Maybe better way to change this would be to create mechanics on port strike efficiency? For example if enemy have 30% air superiority introduce 30% penalty for port strike efficiency, if enemy have 50% air superiority then penalties should be 50% and so on. Not just port strikes becomes impossible if enemy planes are there.

And I would like to know your opinion on this Idea if it is not too much to ask :
But for me biggest problem is huge abstraction level in the game.. research not tied to anything, in hoi3 there were some logic with theoretical and practical practice, now we get research that is based on nothing. And furthermore we have research slots that are based on nothing at all and some minor can have 5 slots as Germany for nothing.. really strange decision for me. Especially when you have such great mechanic with ship dockyards, why didn't you used this in research I don't understand. It could be epic win if you would implemented this, for example we could have some research facility buildings on the map like dockyards and for research we would need to choose what to research and assign to this project not more than 15 research facilities .. we could build more and we could bomb them in enemy countries.. this would be epic. But you (developers) chosen other option with abstraction .. this is not understandable for me especially when you have such mechanics in the game.
And for minors there could be other mechanics so that they would not be too outdated with their technologies. For example make technologies less expensive if for example 3 countries have researched technology make it 25% less expensive and if 5 countries have this technology make it 50% less and when 10 countries make it 75% less expensive. So that majors would always be at their top research abilities, but this would simulate situation when discoveries that known to many countries become easier for research... like in reality (for me at least it is realistic way).

Reactions:
I've also noticed Port Strikes happening in bizarre areas well out of range also...French Naval Bombers attacking my fleet in Konigsberg for example even after Poland has been defeated - how on earth would they get range there? Has that been tweaked at all?

Reactions:
Great DD, especially naval AI improvements. Hoping to see some new variables in defines to help tweak some things if needed.

Cambodia and Laos, haha - I'll have to do some reading to find any relevance in WW2, but will certainly be interesting for any cold war modders out there. Better polish up your Nixon portrait! :)

Reactions:
strikes happen on the port which is part of the land state. So you need to defend your homeland basically.

But what about teleporting of incoming bombers directly into a land zone with a port, I mean are there any plans to change it accordingly to paratrooper mission where every zone to targeted zone is checked?

Reactions:
Great DD, especially naval AI improvements. Hoping to see some new variables in defines to help tweak some things if needed.

Cambodia and Laos, haha - I'll have to do some reading to find any relevance in WW2, but will certainly be interesting for any cold war modders out there. Better polish up your Nixon portrait! :)
I think it's more about releseable countries.

Reactions:
This is a great start. Hopefully, this patch will also address the teleporting air forces and ground forces that happen everywhere. However, just one question about port strikes. What about surprise port strike attacks like Mers-el-Kebir or Pearl Harbor?

Reactions:
This is a great start. Hopefully, this patch will also address the teleporting air forces and ground forces that happen everywhere.
I don't think that will be changed... this is deep in game mechanics that will not be changed... To many game aspects needs to be changed for this to happen. :(

This is an example from the light armor template, which will change to the medium armor template once it has a match of 90%.
Can you explain how that works a bit more? It's not clear to me what "has a match" means here.

Any chance we'll get a hotfix before 1.2? Some of the bugs, like divisions randomly redeploying to a port, taking a quick swim and then going back to the front are quite annoying and have driven people I play with to stop using frontlines and battleplans at all.

Reactions:
Great DD, far better that last week. I like it if ou can release colonial nation, particulary if it lead to some sort of colonial war.

Do you have some idea for advisor? In my game, hungarian choose tank bonus and air theorist will not making tank or plane and so waste some PP.
it the same for AI who choose fascist or communist focus, they choose often (always?) the option to refuse referundum.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.