HOI4 - Development Diary - 5th of August 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That means that should an out of sync happen you no longer have to restart the session and can just resync, and if a friend needs to drop in later thats is fine too and they just can without everyone having to quit and rehost. This should make multiplayer a lot smoother for everyone when the patch is ready!

I take it the AI will control the country until the out of sync player rejoins. Will the AI reshuffle troops and other things while in control, so the player has a big cleanup job to do when resynced?

Reactions:
I strongly disagree. Completely needless, and it would make the map look extremely untidy. What would you even call many of those obscure, rural provinces?

A better compromise would be adding a number of new minor victory points (1 - 5 VP) with important local town and city names on.
Well it has already been done in the previous installment of the series and it looked pretty nice in my opinion. Because every province has already been named in HoI III this could all be copy/pasted in with some changes here and there.

Reactions:
I take it the AI will control the country until the out of sync player rejoins. Will the AI reshuffle troops and other things while in control, so the player has a big cleanup job to do when resynced?
Currently the host gets to choose if a nation is to become AI controlled or not when a player leaves a multiplayer game.

Reactions:
While you're at it, is it possible to consider locking a lobby when you have reached a certain number of players, that is not 32? Sometimes it can be a bit annoying, both for those who join and the host, if you are just waiting for a few people to join teamspeak and go.

Also, concerning the Hotjoin function, I reckon it will ask the host if the player is allowed to join in? I could see a few numbers of problems with trolls, would this not be the case.

Reactions:
Please make the Sahara impassable again, just like you guys did in HoI III after some patches. It's simply the best solution.

Not sure that would be all that helpful.
1. there needs to be a lot more feedback and special cases for a new terrain type and occupation rules etc
2. wouldnt really make AI stop sending stuff

havent totally ruled it out, but we are trying to improve ai first for sure

Reactions:
Also, concerning the Hotjoin function, I reckon it will ask the host if the player is allowed to join in? I could see a few numbers of problems with trolls, would this not be the case.

yes
eAPBqQt.jpg

Reactions:
You should try to poach a few of sports interactive's AI programmers. Those guys are amazing on AI programming. The AI in Football manager is amazingly good. Just don't get too many of them so FM development suffer ;)
Well, if you go on Football Manager forum and claim you have win the champions league with Oxford City you will get acclaimed, be called a genius and the game is so awesome... now go on the HoI4 forum and explain how you did world conquest with Switzerland. You will be called a lamer, using gamey tactics, the AI sucks and the game is totally flawed.
I am not sure AI in Football Manager is fantastic but I am sure HoI and FM players have very different expectations. ;)

Reactions:
Good to hear that you are back! The AI is always a challenge in Grand Strategy Games, but you seem to have plans to adress some of the current issues, which is great.

Reactions:
AI will continue to always be top priority for us as we work on HOI4. A challenging opponent is important to keep things interesting and to keep the game alive and fresh as much as new features to play with.
While I'd love to have a more challenging AI (and I use a mod that helps with that), what I find kills off most of my games is the peace conferences. They just end up so frustratingly, it kills my desire to continue that game, and recently, to start up new ones. (I had the UK convert the gov of Germany to a democracy and puppet it, after I had released West Germany and Russia had released East Germany, stealing a ton of territory back for their puppet. Frustrating.)

Just wondering, while I know the combat AI is top priority, may I ask where the peace conference stuff is on the list?

Reactions:
Good stuff and welcome back! :)

Since we're already talking about terrain, how about correcting some wrong terrain types like the forest in Vietnam which should be Jungle and why is cuba a desert?

Reactions:
I strongly disagree. Completely needless, and it would make the map look extremely untidy. What would you even call many of those obscure, rural provinces?

A better compromise would be adding a number of new minor victory points (1 - 5 VP) with important local town and city names on.

I don't think it necessarily needs to have the province names on the map, but perhaps they could be displayed on the province screen where it says province - it could be displayed there? Could even be modable so that if nothing in the file it displays as it does now, if something present it displays? That way the community could produce a full list over time?

Welcome back!

Maybe sometime in the distant future, on the far end of the priority list, a VP mapmode would be a welcome addition. I had a hard time figuring out where to land my troops in all those tiny pacific islands. And Canada surprised me with a new capital called Edmonton somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions:
Not sure that would be all that helpful.
1. there needs to be a lot more feedback and special cases for a new terrain type and occupation rules etc
2. wouldnt really make AI stop sending stuff

havent totally ruled it out, but we are trying to improve ai first for sure
But it's not only for ai, it's for normal and realistical wars in Africa.

Reactions:
My to do list:

- Italy needs to stop invading Yugoslavia and starting WW2 prior to the war. The invasion happened in 41. You guys are repeatedly about two years off.

- Finland must be blocked from joining a faction during the Winter War. This can screw up a game very early on.

- Japan in its own faction. They should not be invading the Soviet Union alongside the Axis. This also helps in preventing both fascist factions in sending large armies to each others theatres of war.

- The AI needs to see a War Goal against them as a threat and properly react to it.

I understand that blocking off terrain in Africa is just a band aide that covers up a larger issue with the AI but it does mitigate the problem sometimes and makes the war down there more managable for us humans. Meaning we can focus more on other parts of the world that are more important. The war in Africa was focused mostly in North Africa. Please keep it there for the most part.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Podcat, and welcome back to you and the Team :). Definitely agree the division template and sahara-loving AI issues are rightly deserving of top spot, but if there's room for a bit of time to look at the diplomatic AI/NFs and their war declaration impacts that would also go a long way to straightening things out. Not to say I'm not still very much enjoying the game, and really like the naval model you've set up as well :D. That's not to say I'm not playing around with modding it, but the fundamentals are great :D.

Am interested in when the patch is likely to come out as well, but suspect if not in DD, then there's not a clear enough timeframe to be worth sharing. Good luck with it all, looking forward to what you're all cooking up :).

Reactions:
There will be more details in the future, but top priority for the patch is AI where we have identified division template designing and troop allocation to places like Africa as some of the more important issues we want to make sure we nail first.
If I may suggest something obvious, it'd be a decent help if the AI would limit itself (for the starting calculation of desired force at least) to something like "1 division per province along the front/border with the offending nation especially if the supply in target area doesn't really allow for more. Then adjust depending on a) number of units present along the target front and b) estimated number of divisions the target nation has in general".

As it is, it's just bizarre to see the AI allocate 2-3 units per province for African campaign from get-go, sending stacks of 60+ vs a nation that has maybe 20 divisions total while at the same time it often produces such fails as 2-3 units per entire front in Europe vs a nation with 50-100 divisions it just declared war on, because what the heck is it about Africa that tilts the estimations in such manner..?

(ideally you'd start with sort of opposite, by looking at overall army size of the target and allocating suitable number of units from the pool of spare divisions for the duration of the campaign against that particular target, but since HOI4 doesn't seem to work with the concept of overall pool and task forces drawn from it, it's kinda a moot point)

Last edited:
Reactions: