• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If we just go about "manmonths spent" and compare to pricing we've done previously on other games, then 7.99$ is extremely cheap..

If 7.99$ does not work as a price point for a species pack with new ships, stations etc, then I doubt we'll ever make another..

This micro patch was just an insult you did not even try to sell this DLC "look guys its a bit expensive but check what a great job we did along with it".

Reactions:
The new portraits really are quite pretty, and let's not forget that there's all new models for all the units to go with it. It's a steep price for sure, but I'd be very willing to shell it out if the game were in a slightly more playable state.
That's the interesting thing. I'm rich and I'd gladly pay any price to support a developer who treats me fairly. There is a reason I've bought the most expensive versions of many Paradox products.

But for the past year or so, I've really felt like Paradox doesn't respect me or care about my opinion. They release buggy patches then go on long vacations. I don't know. It's mostly just frustrating because all their games are almost so good.

Reactions:
Are they at least implemented in the game so that a random created ai empire will use them?

As far as I remember the preorder Dlc creatures won't show up in game unlike you create them.

Reactions:
Are they at least implemented in the game so that a random created ai empire will use them?

As far as I remember the preorder Dlc creatures won't show up in game unlike you create them.

They said they would be, but it's not in the patch notes and afaik no one has verified yet.

Reactions:
Are you seriously comparing reskins vs. creating entirely different animated portraits and animated ship models? Any undergrad 3D artist could have created the Cossacks content pack.

Some of the portraits are clear reskins, and well, yes, its 2D animations. You know the sort that get knocked up 30 minutes to fit the "picture style" and that's why we get stretching on the art (because its part of the style). Also the only animation on the ships is the movement of the turrets. So yes, its just a detailed frame and skin.

Also, if you go take a look at the cossacks models they're not just reskins - each has needed modifications to the models for various bits of armour/clothing.

Thats why it doesn't feel like this one cosmetic DLC is comparable to many, many of the previous cosmetic DLCs, and that is where the upset is coming from, at least on my part.

Reactions:
Well, it's not good if the price for a cosmetic DLC is higher than the price for one Paradox share. Perhaps I'll buy a share instead to be invited to the AGM and enjoy the refreshments.

Reactions:
Seems a bit odd to suggest "not buying it" as some sort of grand stand against Paradox. It is after all an optional, aesthetic DLC, most people wont buy it anyway.

Wait... you'd hold off on making more aesthetic DLC because people complain about the steep price? You do realise that these are digital goods, for which you have rather low variable costs, aside from the fixed costs for the development. I would assert that more income would be generated from a lower price, as more copies would be sold. But I appear not to be alone in the sentiment that I will withhold my purchase under the current pricing policy.

On the other hand, they are basing their price for the DLC on a comparison of man hours with other cosmetic DLC in their games and probably using data on how many of those they sold. If they drop the price it will sell more, though I seriously doubt to the extent you claim; Paradox are in a much better position to judge the economics of it and clearly wouldn't want to lose themselves money. However, it would also set a precedent for all their other games, the next EU4 DLC would have people complaining that the Stellaris DLC was only $4 and demanding a lower price.

Also, I feel you vastly underestimate what people are willing to pay, Skins in most games cost much more than this and yet millions buy them.

Reactions:
I'd prefer cheaper, definitely, but as I calculate it, that's a bit under two pints of a quality local stout at a bar. Is this cosmetic DLC worth two pints of stout? Sure, the DLC will last longer, but the stouts get me out and about chatting in meatspace, which is useful given how hermit-like I am when not properly lubricated with a bit of alcohol.

I'm still weighing the question, but it's the context I'm running with.

Reactions:
I usually buy Paradox games/dlcs without check the price.....okey, let's see.....oops....what have I done :eek: *panic*

Reactions:
If we just go about "manmonths spent" and compare to pricing we've done previously on other games, then 7.99$ is extremely cheap..

If 7.99$ does not work as a price point for a species pack with new ships, stations etc, then I doubt we'll ever make another..

Here's a possible suggestion! Maybe in the future DLC split the pack into two options - one with just the portraits and one with the ships and stations, at separate price points. That way, people who just want the portraits will be happy with the smaller price, and those of us who want the whole option can either get it all together or wait for the second bit. I'd be perfectly happy, personally, with just the portraits, and waiting until I'm in a better financial situation to get the ships and stations. (And yes, I know people will say you shouldn't be buying anything if a couple of dollars makes all the difference, but everyone's financial situations are different and sometimes it really does go down to a few dollars difference).

Reactions:
How dare someone wish to be fairly paid for their work.

Reactions:
How much does it cost to copy Groot?

Going rate for graphics artists is around $70 an hour (in U.S) assuming it's similar in Sweden, each portrait and model taking multiple hours.... we're looking at thousands of dollars/ Euros to make this pack. Especially because It's not simple reskins but new art (for the most part) which I heard causes graphics artists to raise their rates.

Reactions:
I'd prefer cheaper, definitely, but as I calculate it, that's a bit under two pints of a quality local stout at a bar. Is this cosmetic DLC worth two pints of stout? Sure, the DLC will last longer, but the stouts get me out and about chatting in meatspace, which is useful given how hermit-like I am when not properly lubricated with a bit of alcohol.

I'm still weighing the question, but it's the context I'm running with.

It might only be one and a half pints or less where I live :(

Reactions:
To me it's obvious that these art assets involve more work than the usual CK2 portraits.

I've haven't read any complaint supported by proven arguments as to why Paradox could price the species pack lower.

But I guess this will have been the last species pack. It's a simple fact that a company won't make something they can only sell at a loss.

Reactions:
Going rate for graphics artists is around $70 an hour (in U.S) assuming it's similar in Sweden, each portrait and model taking multiple hours.... we're looking at thousands of dollars/ Euros to make this pack. Especially because It's not simple reskins but new art (for the most part) which I heard causes graphics artists to raise their rates.

But even if we assume that it's thousands of dollars (let's say $10,000 or $20,000), you could have priced it at $5.00 and you would already break even after sale no. 2,000 or 4,000.

The irony is, if the price was set at $5.00 but Paradox offered an alternate price tag for $8.00 where the other three bucks are labelled as donation, I would have gone for the $8.00.

Reactions:

Dont be silly, clearly the devs are evil, greedy and lazy. They are out to get me I tell you! But you will never get me NEVER! (insert maniacal laugh here)

Reactions: