The Aviarium Continuum: The Greater Flight of the Bird People - A Mildly Interactive/Democratic AAR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Option 1: Republic Everlasting

This has been a great run. Unfortunately I missed the last election (I would have went Falcon/Albatross due to my RPed views of being Anti-Synth) but I was very pleased with the result.

I think option one is the one that stays most pure to the narrative that has happened so far. I'm personally really hoping for an end game crisis to pop up before this game wraps, but if it doesn't, well maybe the Bird-People will be a dangerous fallen empire in your next play through.

Option 1: Everlasting Republic

I want to apologise for missing the last elections - I would have gladly been a part of them! Nonetheless I'm glad how it turned out, although I think that not giving civil rights to synths would have spiced up the game a little bit ;)

I chose the first option because I don't want to see the game ending in some forced extreme like in some dystopian movie but rather in a civilised manner where the republic democracy in its archaic form triumphs over technology and totalitarism by pure force of will!

Option 3.

You're all peace loving weenies. Bwak bwak bwak!

2400-2417: Republic Everlasting (Still Under the Sun so Red)

The year 2400 saw a pause in the expansion plans for the Aviarium as the scientific community and military interstellar listening posts all reported the same thing: A signal comparative to a fleet, except faint and... coming from the void of space.

iQQuCH7.jpg

No I didn't trigger it in any way, this is still Ironman :eek:

But for the first few years, nothing of note happened except the ascension of a new client republic.

WAaMSll.jpg

Well, at least they got the democracy part right?

To pass the time and to keep the fleet in some manner of battle readiness (which simulations simply could not do entirely) the last vestiges of the Havarigga Empire was united with the Aviarium.

TTjn8pk.jpg

It was a simply and quick matter, quick enough to regroup the fleet as the faint signal situation evolved further.

okDyIs6.jpg

The Aviarium Continuum controls roughly 20% of the galactic rim, specifically the southern area. The fleet was sent into the Shadow sector in preparation for the event that the outsiders would make their entry there. The worse possibly scenario would be them making landing in the far north where the Aviarium was blocked off from. Noone in the North galaxy, except possibly the Fallen Empire located there, could possibly hope to deal with a large intergalactic invasion, as this was suspected to be.

Then, a phone call.

lbMfk5y.jpg

Srathri verras vussnai YOUR MOTHER! :cool:

Tracing the call...

MZGQxKY.jpg

This was not the worst possible outcome. The little burgundian landing spot was a small breakaway Bhenn'Thell state, current engaged at war with the Bhenn'Thell and backed by the Kraxroz Empire (who was attempting to vassalize the Bhenn'Thell).

The bad news was that the defenders were utterly pathetic, and that the Kraxrozzi and Bhenn'Thell would be too busy killing one another to deal with this new threat. The good news? None of the three factions blockaded access to the Aviarium.

Any thoughts of allowing these monsters to violate the galaxy to weaken the Aviarium's rivals were dismissed. This was not the time for power politics. The insanity of the Bhenn'Thell and Kraxroz maintaining hostility in the face of this displayed how much the Galaxy needed a guardian with sufficient firepower and determination to use it.

The newly formed Eagle Lobby holding a small majority formed a unitary government with the Albatross Alliance and made the destruction of these outsiders, now known as ' the primary focus of all the armed forces. The entire fleet was ordered to move into the area the scourge had landed and fire at any signs of them.

The locals were not helpful.

hd8Qoxp.jpg

Oh you know, the HUGE BIOLOGICAL MONSTERS TRYING TO CONSUME THE GALAXY MAYBE?

They were here.

AdjyB4l.jpg

The fleet was unified into two major flocks, one would engage their homeworld and the other their fleets scattered in the area. They would not be allowed to gain a sizeable foothold.

First contact in the Zithri system by the 2nd Grand Flock was a surprisingly bloodless affair...

qFztHVE.jpg

Even as the size of the Prethoryn Swarm fleets increased, the result was much the same: The intense long-range bombardment of Tachyon lances and Kinetic Artillery wore down the majority of the enemy fleet and most projectiles were shot down before they reached the fleets or did much damage.

zb0fYS7.jpg

Even in the landing system, with their largest fleets, were they able to do anything but lightly bruise the Grand Flocks of the Aviarium

VaKEZwy.jpg

I understand they're meant to be scary to empires f they hit 50 years earlier and without the great luck the Aviarium had in expanding, but still... that's it?

Even when flanked by two 50k fleets were the Prethoryns able to beat back the Aviarium.

CjJlxqW.jpg

There were other engagement of the same caliber, but in the end the result was straightforward: Their fleets were annihilated, the colony ships wiped off the sky and their home systems were purged. Sadly, the once fruitful colonies had been turned into barren wastelands.

QWbEkvX.jpg

Less than three years after landing, the Prethoryn Swarm was eviscerated from the galaxy.

Meanwhile, The Kraxroz Empire had been successful in vassalizing the Bhenn'Thell, but little did it matter to the citizens of the Aviarium and members of the Murmuration: They had shown that they couldn't defend themselves against the horror of the universe, let alone their own pointless infighting.

Even just in the aftermath of the victory, the Avarium was at war again working to unify the galaxy.

qzwC3Qm.jpg

Rumors that the Murmuration had spent most of its political power behind specific candidates for Protectorship to stop the cycle of ridiculous leaders supporting separatist and to put someone able to throw his weight behind their expansionist policy movements were strongly denied.

YZfgP5w.jpg

Enough. Seriously.

The war itself wasn't really interesting, and ended with an Aviarium victory.

FIQbZMY.jpg

I do mean, an Aviarium Victory.

w7KXRiA.jpg

Yay?

There were yet, however, a few things to be done before normal expansion could continue. First were the two remaining fallen empires, dictating which planets other factions could colonize and having done nothing to defend the Galaxy as the Prethoryn swarm landed. Their time had come, and went and they still lingered on. First on the list, the 1-planet Iztran Enclave.

cnEfePn.jpg

The Unity fleet led by the veteran Admiral Ghumm (having gone from 1 star to 5 in one war) made short work of them.

fCvWSVi.jpg

And then... Actually let's take a minute to reflect on this.

pRd08GV.jpg

What, you guys got bored just sitting there and had an accident while playing Tachyon Lance tag?

In order to secure the high tech infrastructure and to make a point (and to prevent more "mistakes") the government seized direct control over the Celestial Throne when the Fallen Empire surrendered.

20160715190118_1.jpg[

Hopefully the Xeno Zoo, Hyper Entertainment Forum and Virtual Combat Arena would serve to show how interesting Iztran re-entry to active life in the galaxy could be.

Continuing northwards was the Ikaanen Shard, a Xenophobic fallen empire like the Gurites had been, in need of liberation, as the Gurites had been.

WoYsN0N.jpg

Larger, perhaps, but still completely unable to stop the Aviarium advance.

XZIXxrg.jpg

Their defeat was inevitable, and in their place a Client Republic was established to bring the Ikaanan people back into relevance in the Galaxy.

ygbTTkk.jpg

All the conquered planets would eventually be turned over to the ICPS, but Aviarium scientists had taken a certain interest in a single system once belonging to the space of fallen empire and had ordered a survey of it.

vlIUehM.jpg

On the third planet from the sun, the Birnathian scientist-captain found a tomb like so many before. The skeletons scattered across the planet were eerily familiar, yet spoke volumes of a decadent and volatile species which had fallen to their own internal fragmentation.

YL0epJ0.jpg

Perhaps these mammals could have made it into space, but no matter how much they looked like Birnathians, they had not had the commitment nor patience for it. Maybe they could have used the guiding hands of the Aviarium, but there was no sense in getting caught up in hypotheticals.

More concretely, another species did have the toughness to make it this far on the desolate planet.

uXpNYzs.jpg

They would be uplifted as so many species before. Maybe they would join the synths on some of their tomb world planets to keep them company, maybe they would move to other outlying colonies.

The freedom was theirs.

The very same freedom to choose their own leaders along with the protection of the Aviarium Continuum would soon belong to the entire galaxy. Having secured every fallen empire and established a foothold throughout the galaxy meant that the Unification Wars could soon begin. It was estimated that once they begun, the unification of the galaxy would only take 50-60 years.

But for now the united fleet flew by Aetheria in what amounted to the largest military parade in the known history of the Galaxy. It seemed silly with the distances involved, the expenses associated with it and the vastness of space, but it was popular with the average voter, and that was all that mattered.

qDMMg2J.jpg

----------

25XX

The unification had taken longer then expected, but at long last the last holdouts of the great Northern Coalition, the last worthy rival to the Aviarium having formed from every independent space faction of the early 25th century, had unconditionally surrendered.

There were concerns throughout the Aviarium Continuum as to what this meant for the future, with no rival to contest with would the Lady Protector Plume of Salmon finally agree to reforming the government to abolish military service? There were few who lacked for anything, and most menial jobs could be done by automation, the idea of "Military service for the common good" seemed quite outdated.

Her speech, short as she liked them, did well to quench any such rumors:

"Citizens and Civilians of the Aviarium, it is today more than 120 year ago we fought back the Prethoryn Swarm. Now we have taken the final step towards unification of the Galaxy as dozens of Sectors and Republics, hundreds of species and trillions of individuals are now represented in the Murmuration. This is a fantastic achievement, but not one that has not been anticipated for many years. In fact, it is not that which I have come here to talk about today.

Citizens, let me state this plainly: We have discovered the way the swarm was able to move through the void of the galaxy without the need for hyperlanes or the need to use nearby solar systems as gravitational beacons for warp. It has taken many of our best and brightest over a century, but we have managed to emulate their biological FTL drives... in fact we have improved them many times over in what we have dubbed 'infinity drives'.

Citizens, we know where they came from, and now we're coming for them. Whether that galaxy is their home, a husk they've long since consumed and left behind or if they were sent by inhabitants using them as a biological weapons, we shall strike them before they strike at us again.

Great carrier ships have been outfitted with the new infinity engines to transport our fleet to the their galaxy. We expect the journey will take approximately two years. We won't hear anything of what happened to those we sent out for another two. But this is something that we must do, we were able to easily beat them back when they first came, but who's to say they will not return in greater numbers in a hundred years? A month from now? it is not in our nature to merely be reacting to the world around us, we must also be actors.

Those who have been chosen for this vital mission will be notified shortly. Many others will be called upon to serve, as we will seek to replace those sent far afield in case we need to defend out galaxy once again.

The Aviarium Continuum shall not rest until the Universe knows what we are made of. Long live the Republic.

That is all."

Fin.

Last edited:
Accidentally posted "post reply" before I worked in the quotes.

Asimov buffed the crises tremendously. 90k fleets, and lots of them. (At least, that's what I've heard, I can't trigger them myself in console, it refuses to work.) You might could face a challenge with 200k fleet power. At least you could potentially use this power to save the Continuum as a fallen empire by winning. It already has a fallen empire title (continuum is used by fallen empires as a title). Plus, if you can't use console commands, you could try to get both jump drive techs. With both drives the MTTH for Unbidden is 20 years.

Not quite 90k.

Not that I would know this personally o_O. (i made this comment before I finished the chapter, was meant to be referencing the content before it happened)

Can't get the jump drive techs really, would require spiritualism and wormholes, neither of which I have. I'd like to finish this as an ironman save too.

Republic Everlasting.
Haven't had terribly reliable access to the net, or I would have contributed more, but this has been a hell of a read. Looking forward to your next work!

I've been really happy just seeing users participate what they can and returning to indicate they're still reading. :)

Option 1: Republic Everlasting

This has been a great run. Unfortunately I missed the last election (I would have went Falcon/Albatross due to my RPed views of being Anti-Synth) but I was very pleased with the result.

I think option one is the one that stays most pure to the narrative that has happened so far. I'm personally really hoping for an end game crisis to pop up before this game wraps, but if it doesn't, well maybe the Bird-People will be a dangerous fallen empire in your next play through.

I agree that it's most pure, though I think the narrative is only pure as long as it follows people's votes.

I'm not actually sure how the 'can re-appear as an empire or fallen empire' thing works, what is requires to accomplish it?

Option 1: Everlasting Republic

I want to apologise for missing the last elections - I would have gladly been a part of them! Nonetheless I'm glad how it turned out, although I think that not giving civil rights to synths would have spiced up the game a little bit ;)

I chose the first option because I don't want to see the game ending in some forced extreme like in some dystopian movie but rather in a civilised manner where the republic democracy in its archaic form triumphs over technology and totalitarism by pure force of will!

It probably would have been interesting, but I suspect that the time where the Aviarium discovered AI... it wouldn't have been a huge problem anyway. As I understand it, the AI revolt is the lightest of revolts.

Option 3.

You're all peace loving weenies. Bwak bwak bwak!

That's speciest!

What's the matter? Are you a mammal? human human human

Heh, that does sound mammalian!

@TheBeautifulVoid - I think I had an easier time with the Prethoryn Swarm than you did. :p

Post Scriptum

The final tally for votes were 13 for Republic Everlasting, 6 for Democracy Transcendent and 1 for Years of Service, Years of Splendor.

I had some plans for the other ending candidates. Democracy Transcendent would end with the Aviarium suffering from a sort of combined AI/consciousness revolt where most AI and many biologicals rose in rebellion to bring the entire Aviarium (and eventually the Galaxy) into a virtual reality consciousness. Eventually the Aviarium would win, but the majority of the population would be left dead from atrocities on both sides and the survivors migrate to Sanctuary and the Gurite Ring Worlds to repair them and become a Keepers of Knowledge fallen empire.

Years of Splendor, Years of Service would have the leaders increasingly dominated by Bird Person supremacists who first removed the right of the AI, then xenophobic and spiritualist species, and at least only Bird People would have political power and leadership privileges. Eventually a civil war would happen and the result would be much the same as the above, just with an xenophobic fallen empire.

I had initially thought of another Fallen Empire (xenophile) for the RE many years in the future, but after the Prethoryn Scourge, it didn't seem quite right anymore.

When is the next AAR (there will be one)? I'm currently deciding if I should start one soon or if I should wait for Heinlein. I do have spring break right now, which is nice, but some of the changes in Heinlein sound really interesting... I mean, a new AAR would eventually be updated to Heinlein anyway during the course of it.

These things are set in stone for the next AAR: Oligarchy, 600 Stars, only Advanced AI empires. Minor interactive if the mods approve. I've said this before, but the main issue of snowballing in this game was the other empires not expanding as rapidly as the Aviarium. The influence cost and stronger rivals early on should work to cancel this out.

I would like to thank all of you for voting. Many of you have endured. Endured like the last corvette of the Aviarium. I haven't built those things since the Gurite war. This one has seen things.

kcajtEP.jpg

20160715202016_1.jpg

Last edited:
Though I had voted for DT, I now see the error of my ways. #MakeSpaceGreatAgain
Awesome AAR! I've never followed one before this, but I still have to say that this was a fun and amazing read. Looking forward to your next work!

Though I had voted for DT, I now see the error of my ways. #MakeSpaceGreatAgain
Awesome AAR! I've never followed one before this, but I still have to say that this was a fun and amazing read. Looking forward to your next work!

I don't think a downer ending is necessarily a *bad* ending. I'd probably have found a way to make an Aviarium Continuum fallen empire embassy to show as the last image!

Also, I'm up for freely replying to posts since there are no more updates. It feels really good to have completed an AAR, too!

@TheBeautifulVoid - I think I had an easier time with the Prethoryn Swarm than you did. :p

You also had a better fleet than me. I shot myself in the foot badly by building a pre-1.2 battleship fleet in which every ship is unique, whereas yours was built for the purposes of actually winning battles.

You also had a better fleet than me. I shot myself in the foot badly by building a pre-1.2 battleship fleet in which every ship is unique, whereas yours was built for the purposes of actually winning battles.

Haha, no doubt, as stated multiple times the Aviarium was also able to colonize much further and more aggressively than what was reasonable. From chapter 4 or 5 and onward, the Aviarium really snowballed like mad, with no influence cost existing at that point.

I'm curious though, do you group the battleships by some internal logic such as "close range in one aggressive AI group, long range and carriers in groups with defensive AI"?

I'd also like to hear your take on Hyperlanes. I thought they were amazing... in the early game. Up until the point where I made it to the Shadow Sector and Coreward sectors, they offered far more options than warp would and were less troublesome than wormholes. In the mid and late game... I found myself wishing for warp so I could move across my empire in ~15 jumps instead of 80-100 o_O. it took over a year to cross it by the end of the AAR.

Wormholes would probably be faster, but... I don't like wormholes. Somehow it feels wrong to me that ships don't move by their own power, and I dislike the work of placing wormholes all over the place. I don't question the efficiency of it though.

Your economic gameplay was much better than mine. I've learned a lot from reading your AAR.

I'm curious though, do you group the battleships by some internal logic such as "close range in one aggressive AI group, long range and carriers in groups with defensive AI"?

I assorted them by range, trying to give each fleet a balance of close-range and long-range ships. In retrospect this was a mistake, but I didn't know much about mechanics then (and in fairness in pre-1.2 range was not as important.) I also separated carriers because they were pretty much useless at the time except as meat shields.

I'd also like to hear your take on Hyperlanes. I thought they were amazing... in the early game. Up until the point where I made it to the Shadow Sector and Coreward sectors, they offered far more options than warp would and were less troublesome than wormholes. In the mid and late game... I found myself wishing for warp so I could move across my empire in ~15 jumps instead of 80-100 o_O. it took over a year to cross it by the end of the AAR.

Hyperlanes are amazing if you're a regional power, but they change the game enormously. If you play Warp then the galaxy feels a lot smaller and more easily navigable than Hyperlane. I think each is fun in its own game but they're not easily comparable. I couldn't imagine doing a galactic conquest via Hyperlanes.

Very late game, I got Psi Jump drives and that changed it utterly, but that purple card took a very long time to turn up.

so .......you going to do another stellaris aar i belive theres a mod in the stellaris workshop where you can play with a 5000 star galaxy map i have yet to see anyone play it or the warhammer 20 k mod i thought id mention those 2 if your interested in them also let me be the first to congradulate you for being the first completed stellaris aar i was there since the beginning i hope to see other aars and stellaris aars in the future

so .......you going to do another stellaris aar i belive theres a mod in the stellaris workshop where you can play with a 5000 star galaxy map i have yet to see anyone play it or the warhammer 20 k mod i thought id mention those 2 if your interested in them also let me be the first to congradulate you for being the first completed stellaris aar i was there since the beginning i hope to see other aars and stellaris aars in the future

Warhammer xK doesn't interest me and 1000 stars is already very large, ir just ruins performance as I've stated. I think going 600 stars will be much better.

I'm very happy to have completed it as well. AARs sadly don't have the most optimistic of completion rates. I think the fact that there's no hard time limit like other GS games by Paradox is a huge moral boost too - I can end when I feel that it is done.

I think the fact that there's no hard time limit like other GS games by Paradox is a huge moral boost too - I can end when I feel that it is done.

I agree, and I'm coming to feel that a game is "done" at the point where I can win a war against a Fallen Empire. The current victory conditions are just there for bragging rights, really.

I want to gratulate you for finishing this truly amazing AAR! It was an amazing time reading and participating in it and it truly helped through a lot of otherwise boring times!

You've got me as a reader for your next AAR if you could maybe post the link to it in here as soon as you started - that would be a big help for me as someone who's not familiar with the forum and created his account solely for being able to vote parties into the murmuration ;)

Really looking forward and all the best!

Great finish. I really enjoyed reading this one.

This was the best finish ever devised. Kind of reminds me of Independence Day. Except with less struggle and more annihilation. I underestimated the power of Tachyon Lances. In you next AAR, even if you have to regenerate the galaxy many times over, please make sure the Aviarium is a Fallen Empire. It would really be so much fun.

Having finished reading this AAR I am really impressed with the quality of the writing and the fun had by the community involved in it. Gives me ideas for a future mildly interactive AAR of my own!!