• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd do it slightly different:
Code:
hide_window = yes
trigger = {
   ai = no #fire only for player for efficiency
}
immediate = {
   any_dynasty_member = {
      character_event = {
         id = x.x #the event that has the effects you want for your dynasty

Is there any way to increase retinue-size by events or modifiers rather than buildings?

Does "is_health" prevent trait inheritance?
No.
If you define the trait as inheritable, it'll be inherited. Just put 'inherit_chance = 100' if you want to have bloodline traits.

is_health = yes doesn't actually do much. From what I've seen, it simply affects some conditionals, and the trait order (health traits are grouped last by default). Some events probably also check the current health trait count.

Last edited:
Is there a way I could edit my vanilla game to allow boys to command armies at 13, and make the marriage age to 14? ( I don't know how to mod :( )

Also if I can, when the new dlc comes out will this present any problems for newer games?

Is there a way I could edit my vanilla game to allow boys to command armies at 13, and make the marriage age to 14? ( I don't know how to mod :( )

Also if I can, when the new dlc comes out will this present any problems for newer games?

You can change age of adulthood and age for marriage in the defines. DLCs and big patches tend to break existing saves.

Reactions:
You can change age of adulthood and age for marriage in the defines. DLCs and big patches tend to break existing saves.

So I'm guessing when a patch or dlc comes out, I can just change it back and everything should be ok then? Also how would I go about changing it? I've never change any settings for mods in anyway. I just wanna learn how to make this little tweak to the game, and change it back before a patch and dlc release.:D

EDIT: NVM I found a old video by Arumba on how to lol. But do you know if theres a certain file name that changes the age to become a commander, or will by changing the age of marriage or adulthood allow me to appoint commanders?

Last edited:
Anyone figure out why the removed area is still there?

d718971cb3d2315dbd0b9e284c27a985.png

I checked the 6 map files and the region isn't there, lol.

Anyone figure out why the removed area is still there?

d718971cb3d2315dbd0b9e284c27a985.png

I checked the 6 map files and the region isn't there, lol.
That's a colour map issue. Nothing to do with you base 6 files.

It's in map\terrain\colormap_water I think.

Reactions:
So I'm guessing when a patch or dlc comes out, I can just change it back and everything should be ok then? Also how would I go about changing it? I've never change any settings for mods in anyway. I just wanna learn how to make this little tweak to the game, and change it back before a patch and dlc release.:D

It should be possible to change it again after a patch, if necessary.

In the [Modname]/common folder you want to create a defines folder. Then open a text editor and write the following (remove as necessary, change ages as desired)

Code:
NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_MALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_FEMALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_ADULTHOOD_MALE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_ADULTHOOD_FEMALE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_MALE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_FEMALE = 16,

Don't forget the commas. Comments start with "--". When you are done, save this file with the .lua extension in the defines folder (the name itself should not matter).

Keep in mind that changing age of adulthood will mean that the game will also stop educating the character at this age and that any on_adulthood events will fire (and any events that checks for is_child will evaluate to false; max_age = 16 or NOT = { age = 16 } will still work), and changing things in the defines will treat all characters as proper adults when they reach the new adult age. The easiest way to deal with education probably is to modify the following (you can put it in the same folder)

Code:
NDefines.NCharacter.NEED_GUARDIAN_AT_AGE = 6,
NDefines.NCharacter.CHILDHOOD_FOCUS_ALERT_AGE = 5,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_CHILDHOOD_PULSE = 6, 
NDefines.NCharacter.CHILDHOOD_AUTO_EDUCATION_FOCUS_AGE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_ADOLESCENT = 12,

Depending on your changes, you likely also need to modify the age at which the childhood foci and adolescence foci can be picked, as well as possibly modifying some education events if they have age restrictions. If you don't use Conclave (or don't use the new education system or have modded/want to mod in the old events) you will need to go through the various ward, childhood, and guardian events to make changes there.

Reactions:
It should be possible to change it again after a patch, if necessary.

In the [Modname]/common folder you want to create a defines folder. Then open a text editor and write the following (remove as necessary, change ages as desired)

Code:
NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_MALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_FEMALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_ADULTHOOD_MALE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_ADULTHOOD_FEMALE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_MALE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_FEMALE = 16,

Don't forget the commas. Comments start with "--". When you are done, save this file with the .lua extension in the defines folder (the name itself should not matter).

Keep in mind that changing age of adulthood will mean that the game will also stop educating the character at this age and that any on_adulthood events will fire (and any events that checks for is_child will evaluate to false; max_age = 16 or NOT = { age = 16 } will still work), and changing things in the defines will treat all characters as proper adults when they reach the new adult age. The easiest way to deal with education probably is to modify the following (you can put it in the same folder)

Code:
NDefines.NCharacter.NEED_GUARDIAN_AT_AGE = 6,
NDefines.NCharacter.CHILDHOOD_FOCUS_ALERT_AGE = 5,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_CHILDHOOD_PULSE = 6,
NDefines.NCharacter.CHILDHOOD_AUTO_EDUCATION_FOCUS_AGE = 16,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_ADOLESCENT = 12,

Depending on your changes, you likely also need to modify the age at which the childhood foci and adolescence foci can be picked, as well as possibly modifying some education events if they have age restrictions. If you don't use Conclave (or don't use the new education system or have modded/want to mod in the old events) you will need to go through the various ward, childhood, and guardian events to make changes there.

I just wanted to change the marriage age up a bit, I didn't expect all of this :eek:!!! Lmao, I've always respected modders, but man my respect has gone WAAYYY UP lol.

Ok so with your help and an old "How to Mod" vid with Arumba, I was able to understand somewhat on how to do it so far I've set the ages as is:

NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_MALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 15,
NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_FEMALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 15,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_MALE = 13,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_FEMALE = 13,
( I kept the Age of Adulthood to 16 )

Is there any events that I should change? I don't plan on changing education but if you think I should I will.

Right so now my next goal is to be able to "Appoint Commanders" at 14 lol. But I've notice in the "Appoint Commander" title I can only give the title to an adult. Is there a work around this( Say change the "Adult" to just "Age 14" ) or will I have to change the age of adulthood to 14 to be able to have young commanders?

I just wanted to change the marriage age up a bit, I didn't expect all of this :eek:!!! Lmao, I've always respected modders, but man my respect has gone WAAYYY UP lol.

Ok so with your help and an old "How to Mod" vid with Arumba, I was able to understand somewhat on how to do it so far I've set the ages as is:

NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_MALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 15,
NDefines.NCharacter.PORTRAIT_ADULT_FEMALE_AGE_THRESHOLD = 15,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_MALE = 13,
NDefines.NCharacter.AGE_OF_MARRIAGE_FEMALE = 13,
( I kept the Age of Adulthood to 16 )

Is there any events that I should change? I don't plan on changing education but if you think I should I will.

Right so now my next goal is to be able to "Appoint Commanders" at 14 lol. But I've notice in the "Appoint Commander" title I can only give the title to an adult. Is there a work around this( Say change the "Adult" to just "Age 14" ) or will I have to change the age of adulthood to 14 to be able to have young commanders?

If you keep age of adulthood the same you should be fine, event-wise. However, keep in mind that one of the newlyweds will move to another court and thus should have education set after that (the AI will probably figure it out on its own, but it is easy to miss for a human player). I suppose changing "Appoint Commander" would work in general, but it will likely prevent the child ruler himself from commanding armies, but if that is not possible I think that changing age of adulthood will be necessary.

Two additional things to consider for marriage and for commanding is that a child won't have an education trait, and that I think that the earliest age to become pregnant is the same as age of adulthood, so your newlyweds at age 13 won't have children until at least the woman turns 16. I don't know if that is a concern or not for you, but if it is you probably have to adjust age of adulthood and everything that comes along with it.

Reactions:
If you keep age of adulthood the same you should be fine, event-wise. However, keep in mind that one of the newlyweds will move to another court and thus should have education set after that (the AI will probably figure it out on its own, but it is easy to miss for a human player). I suppose changing "Appoint Commander" would work in general, but it will likely prevent the child ruler himself from commanding armies, but if that is not possible I think that changing age of adulthood will be necessary.

Two additional things to consider for marriage and for commanding is that a child won't have an education trait, and that I think that the earliest age to become pregnant is the same as age of adulthood, so your newlyweds at age 13 won't have children until at least the woman turns 16. I don't know if that is a concern or not for you, but if it is you probably have to adjust age of adulthood and everything that comes along with it.

Oh ok thanks I'll keep those things in mind, I don't mind a bit of micro managing a younger brides education. Also the age to have children is perfect, I prefer it stay the same. The last problem I have is trying to find the appropriate "Appoint Commander" in the file. I'm not sure on how/what to change to set it for younger characters, any idea?

Oh ok thanks I'll keep those things in mind, I don't mind a bit of micro managing a younger brides education. Also the age to have children is perfect, I prefer it stay the same. The last problem I have is trying to find the appropriate "Appoint Commander" in the file. I'm not sure on how/what to change to set it for younger characters, any idea?

I think you want to change is_adult = yes to age = [whatever] for title_commander in 00_minor_titles.txt.

Reactions:
I think you want to change is_adult = yes to age = [whatever] for title_commander in 00_minor_titles.txt.

I can't seem to find the "title_commander" in the search, I'm such a noob XD do you know what I should type excatly? the only minor title text that pops up is
APPOINT_COMMANDER_INTERACTION_THRESHOLD_FOR_NO = 0,
APPOINT_COMMANDER_INTERACTION_THRESHOLD_FOR_YES = 0,
APPOINT_COMMANDER_INTERACTION_MUST_HAVE_COST = 1,
APPOINT_COMMANDER_INTERACTION_ENABLED = 1

Last edited:
Right, so I have a rather curious problem. Several blank letter events with no option fire on the second day for whichever ruler I use. I have tried saving the game and looking at player_events, but the events that it says that it is give no warnings in the Validator (that whole file is free of errors, according to the Validator), have all the required localization (which again has no problems), and all have is_triggered_only = yes (with the only triggering event not firing as I don't get the log output that would be associated with the event firing). Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

@RedCrusader: Look in the minor titles file (in common/minor_titles), not the defines.

Reactions: