• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To be clear, simply do what you were doing before but remove the replace_path lines. That should work. If it doesn't then there is some other issue. You say that the mod shows up in the launcher and that you have checked the box next to it to enable it. Other than that I can't think of anything that you would need to do.

I wonder if there is some peculiarity of running it on OS X. I did a little searching and found a thread (from 2012) where someone on OS X was able to get mods to display in the launcher but they didn't do anything. Where exactly is your mod folder?

Yeah it shows up in the launcher and with it checked off it doesn't make any changes. It could be an issue with OSX. All the other mods I have work (AtE, GoT). I'll try rebuilding it again and see what happens. If not I'll just keep copies of the edited files and move them back and forth if I want to create a new game. Thanks!

EDIT: So it was an OSX and TextEdit issue. Even though I could use TextEdit to make the .mod file it would add some random characters to the file which was causing the issue. Used TextWrangler and works fine.

Last edited:
What <scope>s have you tried on the right-hand side? There are only limited possibilities that would work.
Tried pretty much everything that I could think of at this point.
For instance, 'father_even_if_dead = { save_event_target_as = father }' and then 'set_father = event_target:father' works just fine within new_character. But 'father = event_target:father' doesn't work from create_character.

Have you tried, e.g.,
Code:
event_target:father = {
   PREV = {
      create_character = {
          father = PREV #also try PREVPREV

Have you tried, e.g.,
Code:
event_target:father = {
   PREV = {
      create_character = {
          father = PREV #also try PREVPREV
Tried it, among with few dozen other things.
The newly created character always ends up parentless, and doesn't inherit anything.

Edit: Never mind. I'm an idiot. Forgot to reorder the commands. So my code is currently set to first kill of the newborn, then create the duplicate. Except the parents are already unlinked by that point (set_father = 0 and set_mother = 0), so obviously the parent scopes show nothing.

Edit-2: ...except it still doesn't work. And I had those in the proper order in my earlier tests. So that wasn't it, after all. Bah, I give up. I don't think 'father' and 'mother' are actually valid for create_character.

Last edited:
Have you considered trying the reincarnation system for what you want to do?

IIRC the father/mother = <scope> in character generation just doesn't work, you have to do it in a new_character clause. I think it has been this way for quite a while

I was wondering, how do you define a flag for a barony. The explanation given on the wiki; http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Title_modding doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Before answering, do you understand how dynasty arms work? If not I'd start there since barony arms are basically an extension of that system. (I can explain them if you don't, but I'd rather not write a heap if you already know. Also, if you don't know it would be helpful to know if you have the ruler designer DLC since its coat of arms section is basically a GUI for that system.)

Reactions:
I do know how dynasty coat of arms work and I have been successful in implementing them.
Well in that case all you have to do is place a coat of arms tag (as used for dynasty coats of arms) within the barony tag. Let's say the barony is b_example. In your landed_titles file you will have a listing for it within whatever county it is in, which itself will be within whatever duchy it's in and so on.

What you need to do is place the coat of arms tag inside the curly brackets after the = sign for that barony. What you'll end up with is something like
Code:
b_example = {
  coat_of_arms = {   
    template = 0
    layer = {
      texture = 2
      texture_internal = 9
      emblem = 0
      color = 3
      color = 1
      color = 2
    }
    religion = "catholic"
  }
}

The religion determines which religion the arms applies to; if you leave it blank it will apply to Catholics by default. Unfortunately if the religion changes so does the COA (see previous page of this thread).

Reactions:
I'm trying to mod the Romuva Church to only generate Lithuanian culture characters as successors, rather like some holy orders force the new ruler to become their culture. I'm doing this because I'm keeping them as a vassal while playing a Norse Germanic empire. I created a mod, containing one file (Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Fylkirate\common\landed_titles\landed_titles.txt). In it, I added on line to set the culture of the title, so that the Romuva Church's section looks like this:

d_baltic_pagan_reformed = {
color={ 122 165 70 }
color2={ 220 220 0 }

capital = 366 #Stettin

culture = lithuanian

title = "HEAD_PRIEST"
title_female = "HEAD_PRIESTESS"
foa = "HEAD_PRIEST_FOA"

short_name = yes

# Always exists
landless = yes

# Controls a religion
controls_religion = baltic_pagan_reformed

religion = baltic_pagan_reformed

# Cannot be held as a secondary title
primary = yes

dynasty_title_names = no # Will not be named "Seljuk", etc.
}

When I activate the mod, all it seems to do is mess up COAs and does not make the person who inherits the Church Lithuanian. Any advice would be appreciated!

Doesn't seem to be working unfortunately... I assume you need to put the flag image files in the gfx/coat_of_arms folder?

Attachments

• 01_landed_titles.txt
    20 KB · Views: 3
  • coats_of_arms.txt
    16,1 KB · Views: 4
I'm trying to mod the Romuva Church to only generate Lithuanian culture characters as successors, rather like some holy orders force the new ruler to become their culture. I'm doing this because I'm keeping them as a vassal while playing a Norse Germanic empire. I created a mod, containing one file (Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Fylkirate\common\landed_titles\landed_titles.txt). In it, I added on line to set the culture of the title, so that the Romuva Church's section looks like this:

When I activate the mod, all it seems to do is mess up COAs and does not make the person who inherits the Church Lithuanian. Any advice would be appreciated!
AFAIK adding culture = lithuanian doesn't force those who inherit it to be that culture. Rather it means that randomly generated characters will be of that culture.

As for the COAs issue I'm not sure. If it messes up the coats of arms that means that as far as the game is concerned there is a coat of arms file missing, but if you didn't add a new county, duchy, kingdom or empire then I don't know what's going on.

After tinkering with that for several hours, I can't get it to work.
Can't figure out the syntax for the 'father = <scope>' and 'mother = <scope>'. No matter what I try, it always just logs the same error: "[effectimplementation.cpp:2900]: Assert failed for 'set_mother': pMother->IsFemale()". I'm not sure if those work at all. Can't find any instances in the vanilla files, nor in any mods that I have.

Set_mother and set_father work fine if added afterwards through new_character, but that won't help with trait inheritance. Or with appearance. Randomly generated children don't look much like their (new) parents.
The only instance in vanilla is in events/wol_seduction_events.txt:
Code:
                    create_character = {
                        dynasty = none
                        religion = hellenic_pagan
                        culture = irish
                        female = yes
                        dna="gppniiosfag"
                        age = 20
                    }
                    new_character = {
                        ROOT = {
                            random_list = {
                                50 = {
                                    create_character = {
                                        dynasty = none
                                        religion = ROOT
                                        culture = ROOT
                                        race = PREV
                                        mother = PREV
                                        father = ROOT
                                        female = no
                                        age = 0
                                        trait = bastard
                                        trait = fair
                                    }
                                    new_character = {
                                        save_event_target_as = target_baby
                                    }
                                }
                                50 = {
                                    create_character = {
                                        dynasty = none
                                        religion = ROOT
                                        culture = ROOT
                                        race = PREV
                                        mother = PREV
                                        father = ROOT
                                        female = yes
                                        age = 0
                                        trait = bastard
                                        trait = fair
                                    }
                                    new_character = {
                                        save_event_target_as = target_baby
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        death = { death_reason = death_natural }
                    }
This creates the 'rose bush mother', then randomly creates a male or female child of her & the crazy ruler, then kills the mother.

EDIT: So it was an OSX and TextEdit issue. Even though I could use TextEdit to make the .mod file it would add some random characters to the file which was causing the issue. Used TextWrangler and works fine.
That's not an "issue" with OSX or TextEdit. When you save files, you'll notice that TextEdit wants to save in Rich Text format (or worse), not plain text. Before saving, you have to use the 'Format->Make Plain Text' option. Then when you save, you need to change from UTF-8 encoding to 'Windows Latin 1'. This is the 'ANSI(Windows-1252)' encoding the modding page of the wiki specifies (a necessity if you are going to use characters out of the standard ASCII range).

You *can* use TextEdit for modding, but it's not the best solution. TextWrangler/BBEdit is much better. You'll find that TextWrangler's multi-file search is a life-saver as well. :)

The easiest way to enforce the culture would probably be to fire an event on the death of the holder that creates a random Lithuanian character and grants all demesne titles of the rel head to them. Alternatively you could have an event fire on the title being gained that changes the culture, but then you'd possibly end up with a ruler with a name from a different culture and the ethnicity of that culture.

Alright, thanks for the help mate. I'll attach my full mod in a rar file if it helps.
Your issue is that the coats of arms are defined for Catholics but all your characters are Pastafarian. (Been touched by his noodly appendage have you? ;)) You need to replace the line religion = "catholic" with religion = "pastafarian" in the landed titles file. You also need to duplicate the Christian block in coat_of_arms.txt and replace the line religion_group = "christian" with religion_group = "maryboroughian". (Alternatively, adding the line religion_group = "maryboroughian" to the existing christian group might work too, I'm not sure.)

Last edited:
Reactions: