• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Janha

Mr. Penguin
96 Badges
May 24, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
“When two writers decides to make a Duo-AAR, nothing can go wrong, right?”

Sounds of Eternity

Barcelona Duo-AAR

Welcome to Sounds of Eternity Duo-AAR made by myself, and my good friend and great writer @LadyAlyssa . You may already know us from other AARs, or maybe not. Whatever, this is gonna be exciting journey! But before it, some basics…

Duo-AAR

So what is Duo-AAR? And how does it work? Well, let me explain.

So Duo-AAR basically means that the same AAR has two writers, in this case me and Alyssa. We write by turns, changing the writer every time a character dies. So Alyssa starts playing as a character (that we are going to present you later), and when her character dies, I’ll write about the next character. Until my character dies, when it is Alyssa’s turn again.

Got it? Good.

Writing style

We are going to write this Duo-AAR like we would be doing a journal. I have only been writing narrative style AAR, so this is going to be interesting. Alyssa in other hand is the more experienced writer, so I think this won’t be a challenge for her.

Also, every chapter is as long as one character’s life. That way the AAR doesn’t go too slowly, and we both can write regularly.

Character

Of course you guys need to know who we are going to play as!

So after a lot of thinking, we decided to go with the Duchy of Barcelona in year 1066. We also decided to make custom dynasty and custom starting character. That way we can start the history of our house from scratch.

The custom dynasty is De Montero and the first character, made by Alyssa, is Duchess Alyssa de Montero of Barcelona. You will see the character and learn more about her in the first chapter.

Barcelona

But where is the Barcelona? Well, you most likely know already, but whatever. Here is couple nice pictures just for you!

R4ooG4z8fJxy9oVWZ5Sf1SupSGV7Gw4FfhwsnfcuI1Zb7OAbqGcEXh9sVr-CmpnhiXzow8Y_5-9mnwI8leN4E1-xBFDY6Tau_-UieoEkQcmDEZlQb8DgdlMNqSdRdDiMKfT0jNQS

Here is the whole Hispanian peninsula…

L69ZIMcVAvmhagvZtXnAS7-Ol9cIQQYcSeFqnHVhfk9wwIsXU4q2bE-P7mlJnXc7M3XAN62QDiP8XZ1imGmCNbkAfGuew9Z_P3B_wHHgs_SZkUSvYLYPuCjQjgpafbSQLQ1Y409J

...And this little brown duchy is our duchy of Barcelona.

In 11th century Hispania was mostly ruled by Muslims, expect the Northern parts. That’s why we have many heathens as our neighbours. There will be many holy wars over the years, for sure! Who will eventually own the Hispania, Muslims or Catholics? We shall see...

Mods and Expansions

We are not using any mods, other than some graphical ones, like Revolutionary Borders-mod. So nothing game changing.

We also use every expansions, expect the Sunset Invasion and the Horse Lords.

We hope you will enjoy our Duo-AAR!

Last edited:
Subbing, it will be interesting to see the different writing styles, hopefully they'll will complement each other.

Welp, consider me subbed to AAR. Hopefully this experiment will work.

Special Colour, Best Colour

Subbing, it will be interesting to see the different writing styles, hopefully they'll will complement each other.
Thank you very much! Welcome aboard, we hope you enjoy it :D

Last edited:
I shall join this journey to see how you'll manage to evade the dangers of heathenry and heresy, and also the dangers of being dragged into greater European conflicts.

I shall join this journey to see how you'll manage to evade the dangers of heathenry and heresy, and also the dangers of being dragged into greater European conflicts.
Welcome aboard Ghostie! I'm pretty sure we cannot evade the dangers you listed, seeing how good players we are :D

Note: This Chapter is HUGE. I apologize for that, I didn't resize the pictures properly. I will fix it for next chapter.
Sounds of Eternity
Chapter One - Trials and Tribulations

Alyssa de Montero ‘the Drunkard’
Duchess of Barcelona (1066-1095)
Duchess of Mallorca (1095-1095)
Queen Regent of Denmark (1094-1095)

gEEBX1ucjQ-ZSP_ipJSwxBCKBlHu5gDbpt89BfEWOVvIYHBZRHo0FAzd8O1gY-fKNUZqK-Bk5CkTia_zxbGUb34TMQ6evrC1nYyA6mbQMaIHlgYqaBNSrrfGWvPmNbyM2OrqhKs2

Prologue
I am Duchess Alyssa of Barcelona, my life up to this point has been full of sorrow and guilt. have no known family, from what I know, they were killed when I was a young child and I was taken in by Ramon-Bereugner de Barcelona, the previous Duke of Barcelona. My childhood was focused on me learning how to lead troops into battle. Ramon-Bereunger saw something in me that others had failed to see, he was the only one who realized my potential. He taught me in the art of killing my enemies and trained me into a hardened soldier, one who was able to lead their troops into any battle and come out unscathed, on top of this, he gave me my love of dueling, witnessing two great noblemen clashing swords, the anticipation of the audience and the sweat slowly trickling down the combates faces was exhilarating.

On his deathbed, he told me that he saw me as his daughter, his own flesh and blood, he told me his own children had gone off to other kingdoms, and didn’t even bother to send a letter or to take a ship and visit him. I remember his exact last words. He took my hands in his and told me “Alyssa, my child, my daughter and my heir, I bestow upon you my duchy. I want you to reign and triumph over my enemies, do not let anyone take away what you have earned.” And with that, I watched as his hands let go of mine and dropped to his sides, his face went a pale gray and stood still. I sat down by his bed and cried before standing up and walking out of his chambers. I was now a duchess.

10th September 1066

Controlling a duchy is a lot of work, managing counties, castles and keeping my court happy.. God has forsaken a lot of work upon me.
I will prevail, I must, for Ramons sake, I will.
I keep finding myself waking up, alone, and scared for the future. If I was to die tomorrow, who would take my crown? Who would become the ruler of a duchy I never expected to control?
Ramon wanted me to be in control.. He gave me the throne over his own children, I want to make him proud. I must keep the crown away from any pretenders
Marriage seems to be the best option, I need to find a suitable prince to marry and produce an heir with.
Perhaps England has a suitable Prince? I must send my chancellor to look.

1st December 1066

My chancellor has returned from his partial trek through Europe, aiming to find a suitable prince for me to marry, to my disappointment, England's’ Prince refused a matrilineal marriage with me. What was wrong with me? Am I too cynical? Too martial? I wish I knew.
He did come up with one suitable candidate though, Prince Knud of Denmark, second in line to the throne of the Duchy of Sjaelland, although it wasn’t for certain my child would ever inherit that land, that wasn’t the main concern.
I sent forth a letter to Prince Knud’s liege and father, asking for a marriage to which he accepted. I sighed with relief when the letter came to me, my house would be safe. I instigated preparations straight away, decorating the halls with the most beautiful silk and setting tables with the most expensive of linen. I made sure no expenses were spared. I must have spent our entire treasury on that wedding, but it was worth it. The drinks, the food, the music. It all came together in wonderful harmony. It was a day I’d remember forever.
7Ll8enQz_-FMafkR9RIjsBBqy5Qfs_fZVPvFuxEScbpBPXWT7vDNK35OpcXLfah2SY_c5EySSLhXO9iIjVfHEtH7sJSv67BG6-XZ4q3th1QGahJAV7wvVKlBPHJLGXJZ0yqClp6l

25th March 1067

My chancellor came into my throne room today to discuss counties held by the Muslim infidels to the south that were de jure part of Barcelona, I was shocked and with due haste, I intended to raise a war chest in order to prepare my army and my realm for war, I thought about 500 gold should be enough to satisfy my army and hire any foreign help should need be.
I summoned a community of Jewish people living on the outskirts of my realm after hearing of their amazing luck with money and their jewels and gold from their home land, I was sympathetic with their story, their homes being overrun by Muslim invaders and them being forced to abandon their land and find a more suitable location to live. I told them they could stay in the castle for as long as they needed, on the condition they help me out with my war chest. They were grateful and lent me a sum of 350 gold, right away almost meeting my quota. I was happy to oblige them and told my guards to show them to the most exquisite rooms in the castle.

20th April 1067

I decided to host a spear throwing contest today for all the vassals and courtiers of my realm, it was a fun way to pass the time and it allowed me to practice my martial skills without having to go into true battle or risk injuring someone while dueling them.
Even I decided to participate, and I threw the spear - watching it fly through the air and land in the field a ways away was a lot of fun, the crowd cheered and I smiled with joy.
It was too bad that I wasn't the victor though, but the Bishop of Vic won! His throwing arm was extremely impressive and the spear soared through the air, landing further than anyone else, a few others attempted after him, but no one matched his skill.

xvvVUvRXvgzatT8eDgSo_xjx7krdxt5T5ix8ugN4KJ4vqGNZPFt2zf3EJO2jd6CH1ml35xWyT_ezmvEaribpFSZaxGjHQy_wZ6JHIpf11Sl2qZlIOGv_uptU3q0Usqqs90ks7jDY

20th May 1067

Training against dummies was growing boring, and never put up a fight, never allowing me to truly hone my skills in the martial field. I needed an accomplice I could fight against without fear of killing, and be able to put up a fight against me. A courtier in my realm was infamous for being a blessed warrior, and I brought him to my throne, asking if he would like to duel against me from time to time, and he accepted
I quickly learnt that my skill was far from his, and I could truly learn from him. We had a lot in common and when we weren’t dueling, we spent the time looking at the clouds and taking care of my horse.
TG2ep6oe1SPp1zuBPr_XHsG0LnIlbdQNBGdGBefo0PROxuJid5_16MIg71ZSbOeg7IT80QjJmFWPJZcxFR41b2Qcp7pnGKUj_XZ_Ck6KinZXw-_bJ7dv1SG-3uJ5i5JRH7ucJwpp

21st April 1068

After over a year of hard work and trying to cut down my spending, I finally had enough money in my treasury to complete my goal, I hit 500 gold and locked it into my treasury for safe keeping, I could not let this amount of gold be trusted by anyone. This was for war and for war alone. With this much gold, any war declared would be easily won.

-goImqoz2iw74zT7EAWi-DglgfMLQcmUyckYhBX4G95zFJRWcfr84E_Pr-hFrk1Im9AQVkIZlT8IabDQ_5n0l10ZTKh3Lrmj4VLHOkUNS9JjhnkVdD5VHYt8b8-kpaxQmwqliiKj

28th May 1069

This.. INFURIATING ANNOYANCE. WHY IS HE IN MY REALM. A noble from Sjaelland arrived today, bragging about his massive wealth, his many houses and stables, his concubines. He claimed himself to be a God amongst men, I was getting irritated, and as were my courtiers, they requested I take action and send a letter to King Svend, complaining about his delegate.

“Dearest King Svend II of Denmark,

I thank you for your hospitality regarding our alliance, and in trying to reconcile with me, you send your messenger, but I must complain about his attitude.
Constantly, he is bragging about is mass wealth and his many estates back home, causing a lot of ruckus amongst my people, and annoying me.
I apologize if this letter insults you, it is not my meaning to. But I wish for you to talk to him about the insulting nature he has brought upon himself and your kingdom.

Yours faithfully,
Duchess Alyssa de Montero of Barcelona”

Hopefully that’ll get that annoying nobleman some kind of punishment.

30th May 1066

King Svend sent a letter back, formally apologizing to me and my courtiers, convincing me that he’ll talk to his nobles about how to act if they are ever in my realm again, thank god that King Svend is a good man.

LyjagSLrE0NCqNvoUhzP5lr3VmOr7Zj9jBy_HbSXmEEU8RKaPTH9w0OPP1SHmc4W0fQJKtTeIUtCZZsaeA5XZRycF-vLtD24OUDWsiJ4ECwpdMnMeLbDHd_FqSla2R9uUV4L-w5M

17th July 1071

I sent an official declaration of war to the Hudid Emirate to claim Larida, a county that rightfully belongs in my duchy. It was time to use my martial skills to good use and lead my soldiers into a glorious victory.

“The vile Hudid Emirate
For too long you have controlled Larida, a county that rightfully belongs to the Duchy of Barcelona.
This is a formal declaration of war to claim the territory back to its true owners.
I will see you on the battlefield

Duchess Alyssa of Barcelona”

This war will be short and easy, especially with the help of King Svend.

Srg5AXbEwbSaIT1IFH1KS5jW97hzlimzeMgrRNuRkfx3EgaSsEvi5MbHn7M-WhvLg-xbeyMHs8jHA4fw6ch9i1eeEMiSgw0ozazNnorj97tWYwYOoHADLukkBX2iZh2xm59FmYIu

24th July 1071

Urgh.

My head hurts a lot, the room is spinning and I have thrown up twice since waking up.
All I remember is the Bishop of Vic looking at me in discuss and walking away..
What happened last night.

Oh, oh.. yeah
I had a meeting in the Council Chambers, discussing the war and battle plans. I had to make a toast.. The toast turned into two and two into three and before I knew it I was drunk out of my mind.
I must have fallen, my lip is swollen and there's dried blood on my lip, it stings.

LVLI6RNPtUDh28f56t34LE1QQDwzQB75kEKcAd4jw8QmRq137PnX2DxJwDtwaEM-oq9wqxf7m3aOmnYAlUd69HpseUzSWjToVXYPZIbXhyc_xcVop3jN-Dm6dwq0n0SFI0DRU_ei

I think I asked the Bishop for help and he just looked at me and walked away. I
made a fool out of myself.

gcBBp3h1WqLlQHebgrIxhwiFVuJ776hjSQNhHwPr7RbYsrIaTHE3HgUrNR_dw7ZfqhTQerTHBKTDOajHlf-rlJiApJG_e_xLgRauhoRzqAk-7hOiuHRerSRycad8g0nqy9GLvD4d

23rd July 1072

After two long grueling years, the first siege against the Hudids was finally won.
We broke down the walls and began attacking the garrison stationed, launching arrows at the walls and setting a siege tower for us to storm. It took longer than expected, we didn’t realize that the Muslims had as many soldiers as they did. But, we still prevailed, as expected.

RfL2YgXwuJk7G14UuygPVx0qC0rRMX5Kx4FlPLR0V2HayzAkQVfKr1RvfPcxV4oDdBZ_TVL32x-1A725t_4LGE7dxuDJAt2DVpfAxhvdPNIxXGl75VSoo05LjE9qpaYNNf38z6ic

31st December 1072

Six days after the birth of Christ, a momentous occasion occurred, the deciding battle between Barcelona and Hudids happened, and to expectations of us all, we won.
My army mobilized and was able to wipe out the Hudd’s’ with ease and precision, attacking and capturing the captain of the army, reducing their morale
I had a conversation with the captain before my guards took him to the prison, we discussed politics and empires, kings and rulers. We also talked about our hobbies, finding out we both have a proficiency for dueling. For an infidel, he was a nice guy.
I sent a letter to the Hudids’, asking them to surrender and give up the claim to Larida, to which they replied, begrudgingly, that they accepted my demands.

vpF4UIJI_BhfV8UhzSWQ5EwbScwtyPpFmmLfSHW6TKa2nqfO6IypuX4f0VTvoPylQRoRiDaTYtpVTkQs7dZPXe2OZUfR9iyfoZIkuaf7DlAPzuWHVeFG-NDLlpauUK_877QeShx1
L3fX9Mj5xW05No9mNui1PsuJjUwMm-cOsWBiphDeJq1Yf_bRCr9Mb_pcmpEEcxY5cvDAQbvJaatnHsNpz1WW6jM4bueBlNZ00SUZoe9U-r0tN1CRPQmUvraKdDCbZWRcVflDZ47b
#

31st June 1075

I woke up sweating. I ran to a bucket and I swear I threw up everything I have ever eaten. My chest is hurting and is just tender to the touch, oh god this is horrible.
Why am I so tired.. I keep yawning, I can’t seem to stop.
I went to my court doctor, just incase I was poorly, but instead of being told the worst, I was greeted with splendid news.
I’m pregnant! Finally, after all of these years my duchy will have a heir. I’m so relieved.

QDN2dcXqa-uYB1lDHJ9qstAKfPJTOiSrXXQ7R-TboY7D1g5pMw4f4a-AHajn455h6QnAw2EmXxoJua3qaGkTLICZ5LdPkH8K7EHyGx2f2nKsVi4HdvOZI56V0qY1hkXrOlCNLaSJ

5th July 1075

To celebrate the fact a heir will soon be born to the realm, my councilors suggested we go to war to claim the final piece of land that should be part of my duchy. I started to army my soldiers and sent a formal declaration of war to the Hudids, once again. It was time for war, it should be fairly simple if we keep to the same tactics as we did in the last war.

-5JF9JNre1ofqcUMmOtiGMmeZyAOg8rch0zaWGrYmVmwyCPH6FsahN-p7RMNeSIQdExwt9vANZYeAb1bC4CRLkglpXfPCFH_u47dix2vqdJ0d0mwlJtRTCoeOsuIZ7n6SYMFokBZ

15th November 1075

I was rushed into the medical chamber as the muscles in my body started to contract as I started giving birth to my heir
The doctors walked me through the birth, making me breathe in deeply and push out. One of the things that springs to mind is the fact I punched one of the midwife's present and broke her nose.. I should probably send an apology.
My child was born, a son to inherit my throne, and I named him Pedro.
Pedro de Montero of Barcelona, it has a nice ring to it.

8th Feburary 1076

The first battle was won against the Hudids for our war, it was a small victory, but it counted immensely. We were able to capture one of the commands of their army and locked him away in the dungeon.
Ontop of our good luck, in that battle we only lost 13 soldiers. God was looking upon us today.

hNgb1rrImmIN7OH4pZX1a98yn89hXiUKMgKJ7pyrHJlNH_zAOC45vfdWgBNilKqd1pfptRWsEqXf3s4EFoAOfz4OVfzzKKe1-ENmGvttVkq3x7rzbZ2_MXpd_X4pvBIE-YJzf4U7

19th May 1076

The defining moment of the war, our main army had been dedicated since the war was declared to taking over the main fortress of the county, and I have now received confirmation that the siege has been completed and the garrison inside has surrendered.
I sent word to the Emir, requesting his surrender, to which he had no choice but to accept.

xCgol-8GHeK5lMqK8L3VZITQ5T2Ul79r_0xkdhCHIxkdin1rUvKq9FKrwydHh8suSl4CP9VQDmR4YlkV3O-HbHVR0pzvovv7XKJEkIuA2w8y4fX0OhxD9WLr_oWAT6Wd0KkXklgC
DRxKswTtR11WiaFStXpU0uLO0BMv_g_LZkPoEBYrYJNLvrxdW5-ycuLV4pzMR9Zdo_bn-fND31YWnxsTXFPurhZRom_8ZlZbWCBktDJLnhZeJFIyeVjCI3b-BnS6-m_8lXTH1GfZ

23rd July 1077

Once again, I woke up in a sweat, and I threw up, but this time, I knew what it meant.
I was pregnant again! Pedro was growing up into a wonderful young man, and he was almost ready to take the throne should I die, him having a little brother would be a good chance for him to learn how to look after people.
My new child, should it be a boy, would be taught the way of theology, I need some kind of grace in Gods eyes.

14th April 1077

I was rushed into the medical chamber to give birth, yet again. It went alot smoother than Pedro's’ birth, I knew exactly what needed to be done, and I didn’t punch the midwife in the face. I am sure she was grateful for that.

10th April 1083

Greetings, I will be writing in place of my duchess, for she has come down with something horrible. She is no longer able to move her body, her eyes have turned a sickly gray and her body is limp.. I fear the worst for her.
My name is Chancellor Iraelthi Nerjak, I doubt you care about my story, but I will tell it to you anyway.
I am a Jewish Exile from a land now held by Muslims, my family were wealthy and we owned a peice of land called 'Sud' life was good, I had eveyrthing I could ever want. Then, the Fatimid empire attacked and my family were slaughtered and I ran, ran so far away. I had to get out of there.
It was in the Emirate of Africa where I found a merchant ship heading to Barcelona, I boarded it, using the last of my gold and set sail to the duchy. It was here I met the Duchess and she was kind enough to give my the title of Chancellor after hearing my story and learning my skills.
Tr1yVpz.jpg

Me
She designated me as regent until she passes away and young Pedro takes the throne. I am sure Pedro will make a great Duke, and I am sure he will be loved by the vassals of the realm.
SLU9Hu1FHnKB3a8unsQNvQot4JmHwL3PqNT7Apg3ZVxQiyOl07fZJh58AIJSumMpbOrwj7qMuDpa8UopiVjyM74yluUAh9zpCM-PRsC3InIxZjCwHaWNI5TJ6DyJev90bBJ_K6OH

17th November 1085

Duchess Alyssa asked me to host a feast in her name and invite all the vassals of the realm to it, and to make sure no expenses were spared. Before she departed from life, she wanted to be remembered as something other than a drunk, and she wanted her vassals to like her.
I organized the entire thing myself.

27th November - 3rd December

I made sure the greatest entertainment in the land had arrived, acrobats and jongeleurs, and made sure the greatest meats and vegetables were present, pork, venison, lamb, swan, turkey, boar, wine, spices, and to top it off, peacock, the greatest bird money can buy.
My preparations were completed and I sent out the invites, wanting every noble in the land to come and see the exquisite banquet their lady has set out for them.

9th Decemember

IMBECILES. ABSOLUTE IMBECILES. If it wasn’t for the council having power in the land, I’d arrest them all myself.
Every one of them refused the invitations, citing that they didn’t even wish to be in the same castle as the Duchess, that is counts of treason, how dare they speak to her in that way? They deserve a fate worse than death.
After all the money spent on the feast, this is what happens? I can’t believe it. They make me sick.
rjoVlPsvtfTjsgDyxyhHCGCVCsRsiQIioOG6muU6QZwcRXIwRJhrQGtYEfrrMrUFexO0G3SYsuuh8G5rzSrofT3EFj417ZGxsRYApp6MXHFrrzG0Ms5ZAfT2Dwmb-a8VXNQ9nr-O

10th May 1087

These corrupt vassals have no end, do they?
Seeing the Duchess in a weakened state made them mad with power. They realize that have a chance and they took it. The bastards at the council want more power, what more power do they want?! They already control half the damn realm.
No, I refuse to let them take the Duchess for granted. TO WAR
SA5ioUA.jpg

22nd December 1087

Two battles won, their army is decimated, I will not let them win. I have no time to write in the journal until this menace is sorted out. I will continue writing when they’re all dead or imprisoned.

9th November 1088

Almost a year later. The war is finally over.
So many battles.
So many deaths.
For what?
For what reason? The corrupt council wanted more power, power they don’t deserve
I showed them.. I showed them all.
They’re imprisoned, the lot of them.. The power I have over them.. Hahahaa, Oh I love this feeling.
I will make sure they are dealt with personally.

22nd April 1089

What a liberty.
The leader of the rebellion - Count Ermegnol is asking for a more suitable accommodation? WHAT A FUNNY PERSON THIS COUNT IS
HE DOES NOT DESERVE ACCOMMODATION
HE DESERVES DEATH
HE DESERVES HIS FAMILY TO BE SLAUGHTERED IN FRONT OF HIM AS HE WATCHES.
The only reason he still lives is because I refuse to let the young Pedro see the death of a man, albeit one who deserves a fate much worse.
I shoved him into the Oubillette, where he will spend the rest of his days,regretting his every action in life.
i85zz4shUZucChxPR1q76a6xhQxlgCbTyfJU9PMXohSe_yzS_XcCHTfNPqNEJlRQlON2JqDuJ0M6ZMsZ148IboyxsoUIEmg07uNMpks4LgqQZm1miWBACSt1rVNlPdN79DpGNhkg

10th September 1091

It seems at the Duchess’ husbands father, King Svend, had died, and the crown was passed over to a random elective. Prince Knud.. was a cruel leader, and didn’t feel as if the elective was deserving of his father's crown and declared a rebellion to install himself on the throne.
mq8EVWWh_rue6sdnVfDSQ731r3iEv3CiZ0hUelN-eKXYfV_vDcgN4F9GifV8c0TPBT28JLYos8ScaJh1ENkclcqmeZNZ1STd6-CscTCNxrNhr-dG53lVRQDtIgyVFLbaVNDsI_JC

And to my, and the Duchess’ satisfaction, most of his realm agreed. The elected King was left with three counties to his name while the true King of Danes, Knud, had three duchies and the might of the Barcelonian Duchy to his name. This would be an easy war.

15th November 1091

Young Pedro had grew into a fine young man, one who would take Barcelona to victory throughout the ages, I was sure of that. There would be nothing this young man could accomplish, not with me by his side atleast.
Together, Young Pedro and I would take over all of Hispania and rule with an iron fist, eliminating any threats in our way.
With Pedros’ education finished, he was ready to take upon the throne.
TK4NUq_nURQ7PP4w4p-YVDbOBRA4E-bXoQIrwGOE0XcvB2V-U6WdK339dfkDyJ7voka9dArVVLN4MUdYyzlGH7QqsvmD9iDta4G_Zh3K59-7DCvtkXUzeYOhHUa0Rmq-GnY52D0-

19th August 1092

To consolidate the Duchess’ power, I decided to show off a little by declaring a holy war for Mallorca, a emirate off the coast of Barcelona. This would be an easy win, our coffers were full of gold, thanks to me, obviously.
Mercenaries were lining up to be hired, and in the end, we had an army of 9000 strong, we sent two thousand of our own levies to take over the island while the seven thousand left stood guard. Which was useful as a messenger ran into the great hall, and got an arrow sent through the back of his head as he entered.
I remember, Queen Isabel of Aragon, armed with an army of three thousand strong, aimed to storm the castle, citing that our Duchess’ misdeeds were told from Ireland to Cathay.
How dare she
HOW DARE SHE INSULT THE DUCHESS?
The duchess is the greatest human to bless this land.
I will show her. I WILL SHOW THEM ALL

Zg0FmWE2fTc5rYs6v3nxM2GAF7K_lmrXtpm0YaSa1HNJTB3aKuYInZl2D2yR_jqaBLAKUoQFUXgCP_y34lE0BXQCESbR6hp7XqFCh7baUbENPK5_BFFjpTvtJT1x6wxQaLknJOhC
5LYMFPlrfL3M_TzhYoiY00M_P5XZu4x2lTedk9L6R3v_3R-hDzanBpw-nlTjQsMt8oq2RrvKOgHFj8YfGTyGAZswH53N0gL2FgKFG1OvRPX1CQbXQJd6H0iPHDGkA355pL4BnidL

18th May - 28th September 1093

Two battles and a siege was all it took to finish the Aragonese nuisance, as we got word that their army was eliminated and their capital sieged, it was the Queen of Aragon herself who begged for forgiveness, we accepted, for the sake of kindness.

IGdCh8WRdWfudMItAJUaPuf_P9nG-N7Xm5tfEpBK9JTTalHj3LUZNF2oC_RmlW3if8IvL4qKP8MJl6p1Ah5UzxQFfPECJKAwYijlAQm1MDvBESggaekKelE2F3GjufJJXKlSRmdh

The war in Mallorca still raged on, the Muslim infidel had called for backup, getting the other Muslim rulers on the peninsula to help them.
They were still no match for the power that is Barcelona.

4th July 1095

Finally, after four long battles and three sieges, the Mallorcan Emirate bowed down to the might of the Barcelonian Duchy, and gave us the duchy. Barcelona had grown nicely in the Duchess’ reign, and thanks to me, it would continue to grow all throughout Pedros’ and his heir, and the heir after them and them.. I will live forever. I will become eternal with the Barcelonian Duchy.. I am forever.

KsfRfESByFlUtgUFKWBKZZt4jX6CERl38SdhelyI0OIbbXDTxCtheIpHEHpeKwmM9j4O0jJ-hmsn1P00dVN3Huj1VDEeh_wq_8aAQJJRjxuYa7FsP6b02_kT8KJpf6-UchzFWnvc

20th October 1095

The day has come.
Duchess Alyssa of Barecelona, Mallorca and Queen Regent of Danmark has passed away, she fell into a sleep the previous night and didn’t wake up. I was the last one to see her.
Rest in Peace, Duchess, your name will be remembered in history forever. I will make sure of that.
I will publish your journals, and instruct my heirs to do so to Pedro, and to continue your houses’ legacy forever. That I swear to you.
Some of you may call me mad. I am not mad. I am loyal. There is a difference.I am loyal to House Montero, and so will my children and their children after them.
PSAMO5eSQDHKPtetMPqanou95A3ZFRdCWXQDdZDa6m-JPixrMgTYe2AlPVaUKSLqggLGu8epxhknAasrO4kaaz4KBJzhx8xM7x3bMgwkzjKlj8KvDkT1MswCrNK9MKkfbXxFiioA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WOOOOOOOOO, First chapter completed! It would've been out yesterday but Alyssa decide to live until she was 61.. LONG LIVE KING PEDRO.
Janha, don't mess up the kingdom I've built. XD

Nice start Alyssa, seems that the Reconquista might just be easy... until the Jihad occurs. But nonetheless, congrats. I don't think you mentioned how many chiildren the first char had, or if Pedro was married, so the succession is a bit vague as to the situation. Maybe post a picture at the end of each chapter to show the situation of the realm?

Good start! Already a king and you're in a good position to conquer your weak neighbors. Don't screw it up Janha :p

Good start! Already a king and you're in a good position to conquer your weak neighbors. Don't screw it up Janha :p

I can't promise anything Dukie :p

Nice start Alyssa, seems that the Reconquista might just be easy... until the Jihad occurs. But nonetheless, congrats. I don't think you mentioned how many chiildren the first char had, or if Pedro was married, so the succession is a bit vague as to the situation. Maybe post a picture at the end of each chapter to show the situation of the realm?

Seems like @LadyAlyssa forgot to respond (Even though I reminded her) :D Well, I think I can answer too.

Duchess Alyssa de Montero only had the two children. Pedro and Nichlas. Duchess Alyssa wrote that she gave birth to two chilren, but forgot to mention the second one's name :p So, the second children is Nichlas. And boy obviously.

The second question... Pedro is married to Duchess of Flanders. Very good marriage, because Pedro's child will inherit the Duchy. Pedro also has already one boy, so the succession is save.

Hopefully you got answers, and go ahead and ask if you still had more questions :)

Reactions:
Sounds of Eternity

Chapter two - Wars and worries

Pedro de Montero “the Ill-Ruler”
King of Denmark (1095-1124)

rbUnr22__xARafLxSGaYxeD_UwIa2ebpqGNAeAtm6iOtO8ftUFZGewF5UDjpDhHuoeVyVP78_hnVmkJ69NCnbm_hWrBS6C19qReIwDrIxdhGLDTzUHdV1bGMTEBGx3_Uv450YRea

Prologue

I am the King Pedro de Montero of Denmark. I’m married to Duchess Clara of Flanders, and I already have one son, Gerard. Gerard lives with her mother in Flanders, but he still is my heir.

I have inherited the duchies of Barcelona and Mallorca from my mother, and the whole Kingdom of Denmark from my father. I heard he fought hard for his kingdom! He took the kingdom for himself from his evil brother! I’m proud of my father. I will continue the glory of my parents!

I also heard that my mother, late Duchess Alyssa of Barcelona, wrote journal of her life, so I decided to do so too.

20th October 1095

I have so much work to do. I have spend whole day just organizing things! And it will take many weeks before I can have a good rest. Being the King is hard, from day one. Luckily I have many advisors and courtiers to help me. I want to make the kingdom of Denmark the best kingdom in the whole world.

23rd January 1096

Today a crazy man came to my castle. He claimed that he was a lord that disappeared seven years ago. I still remember that when I was 12 years old, a landed lord disappeared from the kingdom, without leaving any traces of himself. But this man can’t be him, right? I can’t trust him… I can’t trust anyone other than myself if I want to stay in power!

UcUDFdJLr47bWu2zenBkhZLdcMGNPXaANpdx4N2zRyRmPX-jvt1qKxQ3Hxwx4mi-TnUr16rIhssG4F9osy__Nl5TLb-32kU_yelrun1XGQ8LycjuLoHlN_rI1yenMjg5t817rfPY

18th May 1096

Today I heard from my wife that she is pregnant. But how? I was away, right? Maybe my wife has been unfaithful! I need to know the truth.

V2uKggfONUmnzHuY5hTEcCuIj3aNeq-W4NDTJe4BCc3X5tBsbN48ot6RNXxlgTa3imhBOlEZaFRVeRzy20n5i-gljmC4r64Okm41K9e8pUUISoxd6yV4ajo6kxRFtJ8XUuj32FDf

3rd August 1096

When I heard that my wife was pregnant, I didn’t sleep well. I always wondered how was she pregnant. When I had not slept well in a week, I hired a maid to get my wife’s confidence, and then find out am I really the father. Well, the maid found nothing suspicious about my wife’s pregnancy. I didn’t trust her or my wife, so I hired more spies. But today even they told me that there was nothing suspicious about my wife Clara’s pregnancy. She wasn’t happy at all when she heard that I had sent spies after her. She called me a paranoid…

16th December 1096

Everything has been going well, until this day. Christmas is getting closer and closer, and then Muslims declare war on me! Emir of Dhunnunnid declared war for the whole Barcelona! That heathen wants whole Barcelona for himself! I can’t lose the land that my mother so well ruled.

snyykGM0h34k1x9dvfmorgiKS03EGcr5VIp0R4SY7XNcuZsvLZ5GIIoQJtJyQ4mvah2oU0wD5zzxnytDwZHvrd-cJrh48nVv8RIBUvGcWpojFniRPN69lluqRWNKTh-HVC2Bxlp-

19th December 1096

I got letter from my wife Clara. She had finally given birth to a child. It was a boy and it was named Pedro by her request. Sadly the war has started, so I can’t see my new boy. He can stay with his mother for a while.

k_W___3UQaQw31jRXeMTSseGFllg540GCs1p9EyE2UuQkKebnO2Vl2cPajdSkOBT9Vl-PaOW_HCXvI6YiD58iZuag2lI5bujZ6e5lJYXnT_GibUVPKxfe6EsGEegyMDQL_N_DbbB

29th August 1097

I’m in Barcelona at the time I write this. I have gathered almost all of my two and a half thousand soldiers here. Also I hired one and a half thousand Sami soldiers to help me. So in total, I have over 4 thousand soldiers. Some are still coming, but they will soon arrive here. Unfortunately the enemy Emir called his ally to the war. They have, if I can trust my spies, almost 7 thousand soldiers! All besieging the southernmost province of Barcelona. Soon they have conquered it and they will come here, in Northern Barcelona…

Earlier today I got news from my Court Chaplain. He wrote that the majority of Mallorca’s population has converted to the Catholicism. That’s really good news! Sadly though, the other province of the duchy of Mallorca still has a Muslim majority.

1qZYUCWdVL4sJlgR9kVQsbZPeiyXNzB20dqX7QRljjUbP2amJ-fRbf2BWa8Tm62CT_-5pd8NGBZqadpFXajtfeuEmz5xDvhvBDxphJ5eWBo7qilfDT4leSRxZXp09HO4RSc8QMGF

14th November 1097

The crazy Muslims have conquered the castle of Tortosa. And they have decided to siege the whole province. And I cannot attack them as they have more soldiers than I do.

I’m also losing money badly. I only have couple of ducats and the mercenaries needs their reward. I also owe 350 ducats to Jews because of my mother! She borrowed money from them, and never paid back! Because of my money problems, I decided to expel Jews. That way I can get most of their money.

But I can’t understand people. Today, after I announced that the kingdom of Denmark will expel Jews, I accidentally heard couple of soldiers speak bad of me. They said I’m cruel, arbitrary and even paranoid! I am not paranoid!

9EdrzjC0zJHYVnMtO2OyCJMWH0tB_ZmIGV6eZCcKEjXe9Sh7wX7h4B2RO9SbcYKNbsvbYv272b3NbdVpz4t-ynqpEU08KnQizPQL2NHXq-5H8rISZIY06FBJCp-DpHmGAAXYHv5d

6th October 1098

This year’s April, the Holy Roman Emperor wanted to help me with my war against the Emir of Dhunnunnid! He was a man blessed by the God. Of course I accepted his request to come help me. But what happened next July? He died of old age. And the new Emperor didn’t want to help me with the war. I’m again in the war all by myself.

New Pope has also been elected. His name was Nicolaus III, And he, he was a genius. He invented this thing called “Crusade”. Every Catholic man can join to help the Pope with his Crusade. And if one does so, he will get all his sins forgiven and he will get place in heaven once he dies. Crusades’ targets are places that are under heathen’s control, and should be owned by Catholics, like Jerusalem or even Hispania. I think the new Pope will soon call his first Crusade...

But now little more about my own war. I hired more mercenaries couple months ago and some of the enemy soldiers has went away. Most likely to fight other wars. So today is a perfect time to strike! I will write later how the battle went.

JwaiD60fa8LTIRTRqp4EFDs1-7u678_86iNopAjzDhgbTxU3zkldRYArxj1OIMK9HsZsluzOAfABfNeezL8T78JlbIvaBa86W9tHFfqZc5tdVfVFHbglQYTBXjlTi3wy4vgYsVSM

24th March 1099

Quick note: 27th October 1098 the Pope finally called Crusade for the Jerusalem. I would join myself, but unfortunately I have my own war with the muslims.

Speaking of my war, I lost the battle. I lost it! I don’t understand how! It was looking so good for us! But we still somehow lose to the muslims. After they beat us, they conquered the castle of Barcelona. I still has more soldiers than they, so I decided to make second attack. It went like the first one. We lost, even though at first it looked like we would win.

And while the battle was ongoing, the King of Pomerania sent a letter to me, where he stated that he wanted to help me with my war. Well, of course I accepted his request, but it came so late, that I know we will lose this war…

SifD6CP0n9mDF9sZ035YouI-eSW5DtUlW-3BYtN8ATFfom72HZjgCFC55XyW3IpFxTef7Ue4btf3F4w-ZrPwBJer4GrCFCmn_SxoEc6rd2iz9XTI6EOjH41oYcSvdsxamH2gG_Oq

25th March 1099

The muslims forced me to sign peace deal. They got the whole Barcelona for themselves… Luckily I still have the duchy of Mallorcas, the archipelago in Mediterranean. Still, my mother wouldn’t be happy, if she was alive.

23rd August 1100

I finally decided to help the Pope with his Crusade, so I joined on his side against the muslims. I hope we will win this Crusade and get the kingdom of Jerusalem in Catholics’ hands. The Crusade has been going on for two years, and the Pope is fortunately winning. So most likely I won’t lose that many soldiers as the most important battles are already fought, and I still get a place in “the heaven”.

22nd September 1100

Today I received a letter from the Emir of Abbadid while I was gathering my armies for the trip to the Holy land. The letter was a declaration of war! I only have the Duchy of Mallorca in the Hispania, and now they the muslims want it for themselves! Luckily my armies are already ready for the sea trip, so we are going to get quickly to Hispania. The Jerusalem and the Crusade can wait.

17th November 1100

Today I received another letter from a muslim Emir. This time from the Emir of Granada. He also declared war for Mallorca. He also wants the duchy of Mallorca! It is going to be hard to beat both of these emirs and their allies…

20th April 1102

I sailed with my armies to the Hispania, and we landed in the Duchy of Abbadid, while the Abbadid’s armies were besieging the Mallorcas. I was free to siege the capital of the Abbadid. I conquered the capital and some other neighbouring provinces, but at the same time the enemy conquered castles and cities in the Mallorcas…

Last summer I hired two and a half thousand Lithuanian mercenaries to help me. I really need every soldier I can get, to beat these muslims. And worst of all is that I cannot even help the Pope with his Crusade. He has to win the Crusade without me.

But I also have some really good news. Earlier today I got a letter from the King of Sweden, where he stated that he wants to help me with my war against the Abbadid. I already sent him a letter, where I said that I will accept his request to help me. Those Scandinavians are actually pretty good people. Kinda like we, Catalans.

C4Cvi7OQOsxFmXVpAxgBIbgLls-wO_ifjWRCPIHy1j1LAc02_yWR7BHkq2ncGg_zMF6iG9lft1y8PiBO4fnd1_GqTepFZAX1BKa6jh4yZhA07BIHhPTwz74VaHgNHQUaRFnzQztT

23rd August 1102

I got a letter from the Pope himself today. He informed all of the Christian World that the Crusade for Jerusalem was successful. Great news. Pope and his other allies had won without my help. I really wanted to help them, but I just couldn’t…

The letter also stated that the Duke Walther of the Lower Lorraine, a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire, was the biggest participant in the war. He was given the title of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. He still is a vassal of the Empire though.

I’m sure the muslims are not happy about this...

DApI-1_ChEqECjw0liQNzBn17kva74UzreCfJkl2Tr46ipus7HukeryUY_vN3yvlYzNrNhHo7r2vSnbm6qI_nzmZ0yq6I05EkFQ0s4rcvZJ5Iz67CmzgPkATKjuX7ZxSO903qMWe

2nd February 1104

I’m losing both of my wars. Not badly, but still losing. Last year my allies tried to attack the enemy armies in Mallorcas. It didn’t work out, and so they lost many good soldiers for nothing. And what I’m doing? I’m still conquering the lands of the Abbadid. As long as the enemy has superior armies than me, I must avoid any battles.

I heard from my spies that the muslims, both Granada and Abbadid, are sending most of their armies to Denmark. I’m not scared, this is actually good thing. I can kill their little armies that are left here in Hispania, and I can conquer the Mallorcas back and even more of their land. They did a stupid move.

But now I want to write more about the religious situation of the world, even though some of these are old news.
Two months after the Crusade was over, in November 1102 (Two years ago), the Sunni muslims’ religious head, Caliph, renewed the Jihads. These Jihads might start an another time of muslims’ expansion. Hopefully not though...
At the same time muslims also formed their first “holy” order, the Bektashi order. It is going to protect the muslim faith from outside danger. Stupid ideas both Jihads and Bektashi order, I say.

Sadly today we got the worst news of them all. Sunni muslims got a new Caliph, and this new Caliph called a Jihad for Anatolia! I hope the Byzantine Emperor can beat those heathens and their stupid holy order. I hope…

Xz6y4KrKtmmI8VyL813OFCrneh5U4CFd-8bNApUC-XzSos6vhyXgQC89XfwyE6wd-07dlxhJqwHynv8xGgNYq7wPsvSHfMJw_IgFZGLoahMZPUGHJUrwslRzROvPXCXvSHAdFWYE

1st May 1105

This time I have good and bad news.

Good ones: I have been able to conquer many of the enemy castles and cities, as most of thier armies are in the main Denmark. I have also been able to kill their smaller armies that were left here in Hispania. I have fought so well and conquered so much that the wars are looking to end for white peace. That would be more than perfect.

But the bad news. Earlier today I got a letter from my vassal, Duke of Mallorca. He wrote that the muslim population of the Mallorca’s has started a massive revolt. They are demanding independence. He also wrote that the rebels have at least eight thousand soldiers. Way more than I’m capable of getting. Seems like I am capable of winning the war against the muslim Emirs, but not the war against muslim peasants.

ITOfT5Nz-dR-AZm9mDCHMKGQPaMRe8ydilLfR5651V6BJaw5yXBrnrFts0unBcpzIbLmFbEx8fr-cVKbdadZ6hAD4sMWfd8Zn3lUdDJ3_bZRobfgk-BzNGET5HqCjjWwcojG-D5n

17th May 1105

Last entry was quickly written in the time of battle of Tartas, where we fought against the Granadian army. The battle ended today, for our victory. I think it was the last battle with the Granada. Today I will send a letter to the Emir of Granada and demand white peace. He must accept it, he can’t win anymore!

26th May 1105

The Granadian Holy War for Mallorca has ended for white peace! The Emir of Granada accepted my peace deal, and so I only have one war going on anymore. The bigger problem though is that the rebels are conquering the Mallorcas rather quickly. Even if I win the war with the Emir of Abbadid, I still will most likely lose the duchy of Mallorca. For the rebels.

23rd December 1106

I’m so depressed! I just cannot wins these muslims!

For a year I conquered more Abbadid land, but as the time went by I knew it didn’t help me at all. I have to crush the rebels, so I would have even a little chance of keeping Mallorcas. So, I decided that we are going to attack the rebels very soon. Half of them are in the other island of Mallorcas, so I decided to attack the smaller army. Unfortunately it seems that the bigger army is coming to help the one we are attacking. That means we are going to lose this battle... For sure. But we cannot retreat anymore, we are so close to the shore.

14th January 1107

The rebels, they beat us. I sent on 1st of January a letter to the rebel leader. I wrote that I will surrender. Today he sent a letter where he stated that he will accept the peace.
He will get to whole duchy of Mallorca for himself. And he will be independent. This is a sad day for my dynasty. I lost the last piece of land I had in Hispania…

J4PkeIoSefzZXpLAAUtHZvgZgJ0xFyGP-cz5XcX99A5vGtEo1WY4xY0YgOzOIG5P3KHX0YbjCm-Vy_FT-MwVOvcTpR2EglaXGrcYT8otClP1yPuZgnYgMTh9uQdD1DdAIXxmgCB7

10th April 1107

I have thought about getting a good ally in Hispania that could help me get my dynasty’s land back. Well it is obvious that I want Castille as an ally. The King García of Castille is the most powerful man in the Hispania at the moment. I suggested to the King of Castille that my younger son, Pedro, and his youngest daughter, Anderquina, should get betrothed. He accepted it, and now we have non-aggression pact. It is the first step towards an alliance.

17th October 1108

Castille. The King García of Castille is in big trouble now. He is in a war with muslims and Lombard Invaders. And now he needs all help he can get, so he suggested to me that we would form a proper alliance. I of course accepted it, and now we have an alliance between our great kingdoms. I need to help him with his wars though, but what an ally would I be if I didn’t help him! I will go to the kingdom of Castille with my armies as quickly as possible.

XbQ66AgIO-QUsIbRyViNSIsvNEjMVlQXfCfJaLDh_wZz8PnktPY7_1VCZ--gE5uYaU8v-pXSNCHS2pJcHWSLpLI_Pdky8tZAlfGbafOUAwZkNeKTraD343rS7fQheVixYJEMx9K8

10th April 1109

King of Pomerania sent me letter today. He proposed that my brother Nichlas and his 14 years old daughter Wera should get betrothed matrilineally. Nichlas has been unmarried for many many years, so it would be good to get him a wife. I accepted the betrothal, and so I have non-aggression pact with the King of Pomerania.

3rd September 1109

I have been here, in Castille, helping my ally fight his enemies. These wars has been very even, either side winning or losing. I can’t say are we able to kill all Castille’s enemies, but we are trying.

I also got very good news from the East. The Emperor of the Byzantine Empire informed all of the Christian World that he was able to drive away the muslim invaders. The Jihad for Anatolia has failed. The muslims are even weaker than I have thought.

9lD2fGVW6JfTd1DiC2y_7LteivGDXxXMMeqiyzG28BM30t0Hp0t0KW7wLaUpZbLYpa_uA9OfoLWu0-D9ClW-QCyVhD4EXaKDimcbas3SHZ5WVNFwUFIBDlXUTKSoyqePG_Rp58on

14th February 1111

Good news for Castille, and of course for me. We have achieved a white peace in one of the three wars we are in. Still, the other two wars are not going that well. The enemies has more soldiers than we and they have occupied land in the Castille. This is not looking good...

K05Cr9EBCSU0AFDfIkTIzSsH6OQ1NsB-bASCfaAchMErE5fLwz5moATsOvr_NQMuB8ZF7xxEaaxS5KnGbqzXZrBlDA1jrxWDK6CRgJR9l1_sLpbuYz2eX781GLx1p6s4GQobj3VI

12th May 1112

My good ally. King García of Castille. He has died some time ago… The new King of Castille is his son, Fernando. We two are not even allies as the betrothal between my son Pedro and García’s daughter has been canceled.

I have been conquering Navarrese castles for over a year now, and I didn’t even know how big impact I made. We won the war against the tiny kingdom of Navarra. King Fernando must be happy now. He could not have won without my help. Now we still have a war against the Lombard Invaders.

Last year, on 20th March, my brother Nichlas finally got married with the daughter of the King of Pomerania. Or should I say “the late King”. King García of Castille is not my only ally that has died. The King of Pomerania has also died sometime ago. I didn’t know him as well as I did García. But I still will miss him.

The interesting thing about the dead of the king of Pomerania is that the new ruler of Pomerania is not a king… It is a Queen. More specific my brother’s wife. That means Nichlas is a king! Well, he has no power, but at least he has a nice title. I hope their marriage will be happy and peaceful.

K9hhFrjeeEkPP0hTJfkGot00T4k2rxAsN7Al_nXZdV6ScwutYtTB8AZi1_FP9lLl6hjvV17TbEegaTfoS9UiAao8Yx-MvSh0AyGxCW1y9_WbyvIwahRP3aXwbxr3jXmLN1U1Nn38

1st January 1113

The Christian world is surely becoming more and more powerful. Today a messenger ran to me. He had important news. Some knights who had previously protected pilgrims in Jerusalem, now has formed a Christian holy order named Knights of St. John. Very interesting development. They will help any Christian ruler with their wars against heretics and heathens.

Last month, in December, my second boy, Pedro, had become an adult. He has finally finished his education in the ways of war. I demanded to know how good he was in his studies. Soon I got a letter from his tutors, and they all said he was brilliant strategist. I was glad to hear that I have good a heir for my kingdom.

Yes, Pedro will be my heir. The kingdom of Denmark is an Elective Despotic Kingdom, so I and every duke can vote for the next king. Luckily I only have two duke vassals, and both of them are voting for themselves. And as I king, my vote is the tie-breaker, so I can decide fully myself who I want for the Crown.

And as I have not seen my older son in many many years, because he lives with his mother Duchess of Flanders, I decided to vote my younger son, Pedro, for the Crown. He surely will be better king than his brother Gerard.

-ojRAHgZ6cGREE_X_SqQ1zVS-g741fZgVYMVq2luPu4tCkqF9LHwX1HfI1w1kVqImjT6105M1dJTpTOBYfQJKw2k0daQ5CxyLiP_B0rAz2XjMlpyCb3IW2jkhRsuyY-xJPI1IaX1

24th May 1115

The last Castilian war ended as I predicted. The Lombard Invaders had so huge forces compared to mine and Castilian. They won the war, and they got everything they wanted. Now mercenary band, Lombard Band, has its own nation.

But I have my own problems. I heard that the Duke Ingvar of Uppland, Swedish madman, is preparing an invasion for my kingdom. Luckily I have ton of money, so when he is about to attack, I will hire mercenaries to fight for me. I think I can handle this.

Sadly though I have heard that some people doesn’t trust me anymore. I have even earned nickname “Ill-leader”. How do they dare to give me such a nickname! I have lost Barcelona and Mallorca, but that doesn’t make me bad leader! Right?... I’m not even sure myself. I hope people give me one more chance to show that I’m worth the Crown…

I need a drink.

Of4Sk8PNKn1l25lDnFhO_WFWTjLyOyHcsF5WcvnnYcEQHIzlV-f9sJG5Q8nSftjOeDBmZHHEAMmUhEMcE2JeElzMAG2HzV0GCVRlgtSokB3D0SGakH618MOcKeZozrudBwWBjwcD

8th February 1117

Luck is on my side, finally.

The Swedish Duke Ingvar decided to not launch his invasion. He has one big problem that prevented him from attacking. He is in another war. But my people doesn’t need to know that, right? I will tell tell them that our kingdom was so powerful that the Swedish Duke decided to not attack. I hope I will earn everyone's trust back.

As the war didn’t start, I decided to use my saved money to build a new castle in Sjælland, in the capital of Denmark. In the only province I directly rule… My country is so decentralized that I need to get land back from my vassals. But for that I need soldiers. Maybe I could invade some poor place, like Finland, to get some land and that way those extra soldiers.

1st January 1118

It has already been 5 whole years when the Knights of St. John was formed. And today I heard about new holy order, Knight Templars. It was formed by some wealthy knights, and as the previous holy order, this one can also be called to help against heretics and heathens.

In November here, in Denmark, we had really big problem with pirates in our waters. Some said the pirates were sent by my ally, Queen of Pomerania. To show my advisors and vassals that I trust them, I sent a letter to the Queen of Pomerania asking about this thing. She was angry that I even though she was the one who sent them, so I apologized her. Luckily she forgave me, and everything is back to normal. Expect that we still have the pirates in our waters…

Last month I betrothed my son Pedro with the Duchess Kinga of Greater Poland. She is underaged, but she is already a powerful vassal the King of Poland.

Mwg5xM_oWl8Q_3R_mOXx_FYfzjAok4UhH7NvkSv6thppSQ3YhdOheENtdGBxuGgVy-bYT-8eNJlxb6yOyoN-nJaVR2rpwK-T_YVU4jXWjBkvVwkMzn0XttjOENjKK02-indt7vIF

11th December 1118

This world has two happy owners of new castles. In the summer the Knight Templars got permission to build castle in the kingdom of Jerusalem. The castle was named Beit Dejan, and it shall be the headquarters of the Knight Templars. The Templars are doing well.

The second owner of new castle is me. The castle I started building over a year ago has finally been build. Now I have two castles, which is still way too little for a king like myself…

27th December 1120

Today I finally decided that it is time to declare war for some land. My advisors told me that in the region of Finland there is some really weak and small tribes I could conquer. The only problem is that there is also one really big tribe, Livonia. And if it decides to help its little neighbours, I could be in trouble. I still decided to take the risk, and I declared a “holy” war for the county of Uusimaa.

We shall see how this goes...

DU_EDSpfU-Zo7q-X_dVHQZeIYl_4NQ1tpL8QJyiMIImu66ivA2XA4E7s8nF1HiwnP2XA_sqI7hLwp-plJaeDGXagjr97Ftmkt8oaYMX-cbMswQMYtjQX5Z1TlMSS0Cx85oyY33RM

25th May 1121

The High Chief of Livonia decided to come help his little neighbouring county of Uusimaa. Livonia has so many soldiers that combined with the Uusimaa’s soldiers, we are most likely going to lose this war. But I’m still gonna try!

Today my son, Pedro, requested to join the Knights Templars, even though he is the heir of the kingdom of Denmark. Joining the Knights Templars would disinherit him, so I didn’t let him join them, and now he is upset. I’m sure he will understand later why I didn’t let him go.

o79HK54rgzcBi0Q6tzNNPhHsDObn5KgX9TpjJxwOvYNKqgEkF1OxUiSD6-6EX22kGNdlziwQ9a6Rl0_eI2aAe85JatJ4CsFXOgDi4mpAmcu7qpHcbVjUdKr12PuwOuz9-Esiv2It

2nd October 1121

Today my son Pedro and the Duchess Kinga of Greater Poland will get married. I’m happy for them. Sadly though I can’t attend the wedding as I’m leading my troops in this god-forsaken Finland. This place is so cold, so uncivilized and so sparsely populated I’m surprised that this place is even drawn in the maps.

And my ally, Queen of Pomerania, can’t help me because she has her own rebels causing problems. I hired some mercenaries but I think, I can’t win this war anymore…

MvujUhMTRn-P761zN7tmhpttAOi13SVFNO0C9tK8uRo6bZaMYSCGEYVCUj7z3cF_KxDJKuaqeAaWc5yS3H24o0jBgDY7n6Z7LbmjE-HGOHk9WN4SUqHcYhgKSCKISw3VHnhFSVx0

2nd October 1121

I was winning the war… Only if the High Chief of Livonia wouldn’t have come to help Chief of Uusimaa…

I lost the war. I lost to primitive Finns and their primitive allies! How is that possible? I question myself that everyday…

Have I won any war? No! Only helped Castille win couple of wars, but that’s it! I have lost all my land in Hispania, I lost to Finns, I only have one county and my country is so decentralized and ruler by the council that I don’t know what I’m going to do!

itwFJXez2e25UrUbdeC5L7Kz4VR0W5DfaT9hnCK5X_HrbxZvl8Hgb1i5gzd-ncXnu4jY_84JsSjRJpPXgjcLkG04TB-lil1GWWVYllmASUrfjDnfA1rY8Lc3eYICWpx8rTJrj8jL

31st March 1123

Finally I found my father’s journal. I’m his second son, Pedro. I wanted to finish his journal.
This morning couple of my servants ran to me and said I must come to the castle’s backyard. I didn’t know what was going on but when I got there…

I saw my father... I saw my father lying on the ground. He seemed lifeless. When I turned him around, I saw that he was really dead… He was so pale…
We also found a strange bottle next to him. It smelled weird. Like a poison…
It was clear. My father had made suicide last night. He was so stressed and depressed all the time. And he drank a lot. I hate to say this, but he was a drunkard.

The funeral will be held as quickly as possible, and after that I will be coronated as the new King…

Rest in peace good father, Pedro. The King Pedro I of Denmark.

2L9aMxbGXHYb6qoej8WqX5Ipj7n2BfUj8nJEOlbhx2aSyoJO0vhEgmRdpg54T4QcK-q8oPTlXVqegLRTTDe61_wyvrFE48zsdSeb5c_bmkC4VBMBZX773bM9J2vYVb3a8FvSamI5

((Phew! Now that has been done! I was away from home for a week so that's why this took longer than expected :p
@LadyAlyssa , time for you to get our great nation back to glory :D))

WOW...
Alyssa won't be happy with that Janha... Looks like your Finnish ambitions were misplaced.
But hey, at least you'll get Greater Poland as your next char, so it's not all bad. I'd suggest you start to consolidate your lands. Set up a couple of core territories, well developped, and goodd sources of levy and cash. In the long term, that's one of the most important parts (at least that's how I see it). The Duchy of Prussia should still be controlled by pagans, despite its probable tribal stage, it has a good amount of provinces and the heathen status of the holders would allow you to take it all for yourself, piling up cash and setting up cities with high cash focus will do wonders for your economy.
Poland will now also enter the equation, the future inheritance of a slice of Poland should probably be used as a springboard to unite Poland under you, and maybe start to go eastwards for your ambitions, despite the ominous threat of a Mongol Horde knocking on your keep's gate asking for your immediate surrender. Maybe wait for a Crusade to jump into Spain once more, or start reclaiming iberian territory and offer fealty to the HRE to make sure the Moors won't attack you again.
You are now at a crossroads. You are no longer bound by the Iberian territories, but you have lost them nonetheless, and the Polish matters will have to be adressed. Plan well Alyssa, and DEUS VULT to any of your choices ;) .

WOW...
Alyssa won't be happy with that Janha... Looks like your Finnish ambitions were misplaced.
But hey, at least you'll get Greater Poland as your next char, so it's not all bad. I'd suggest you start to consolidate your lands. Set up a couple of core territories, well developped, and goodd sources of levy and cash. In the long term, that's one of the most important parts (at least that's how I see it). The Duchy of Prussia should still be controlled by pagans, despite its probable tribal stage, it has a good amount of provinces and the heathen status of the holders would allow you to take it all for yourself, piling up cash and setting up cities with high cash focus will do wonders for your economy.
Poland will now also enter the equation, the future inheritance of a slice of Poland should probably be used as a springboard to unite Poland under you, and maybe start to go eastwards for your ambitions, despite the ominous threat of a Mongol Horde knocking on your keep's gate asking for your immediate surrender. Maybe wait for a Crusade to jump into Spain once more, or start reclaiming iberian territory and offer fealty to the HRE to make sure the Moors won't attack you again.
You are now at a crossroads. You are no longer bound by the Iberian territories, but you have lost them nonetheless, and the Polish matters will have to be adressed. Plan well Alyssa, and DEUS VULT to any of your choices ;) .

You can be sure @LadyAlyssa wasn't very happy with my reign.:D
You have really good ideas, thanks for them.I think we are still mostly going to focus on the Iberia as it was our AAR's main goal. I think Alyssa can get our Iberian land back. At least I hope so :p
And we shall see what happens with my next reign. This one was very... interesting.;)

Truly, noone could top the duchess.
Seems so :D Alyssa played things very well with her character. We shall see what she can achieve with her new one.

J
Sounds of Eternity

Chapter two - Wars and worries

rbUnr22__xARafLxSGaYxeD_UwIa2ebpqGNAeAtm6iOtO8ftUFZGewF5UDjpDhHuoeVyVP78_hnVmkJ69NCnbm_hWrBS6C19qReIwDrIxdhGLDTzUHdV1bGMTEBGx3_Uv450YRea

Prologue

I am the King Pedro de Montero of Denmark. I’m married to Duchess Clara of Flanders, and I already have one son, Gerard. Gerard lives with her mother in Flanders, but he still is my heir.

I have inherited the duchies of Barcelona and Mallorca from my mother, and the whole Kingdom of Denmark from my father. I heard he fought hard for his kingdom! He took the kingdom for himself from his evil brother! I’m proud of my father. I will continue the glory of my parents!

I also heard that my mother, late Duchess Alyssa of Barcelona, wrote journal of her life, so I decided to do so too.

20th October 1095

I have so much work to do. I have spend whole day just organizing things! And it will take many weeks before I can have a good rest. Being the King is hard, from day one. Luckily I have many advisors and courtiers to help me. I want to make the kingdom of Denmark the best kingdom in the whole world.

23rd January 1096

Today a crazy man came to my castle. He claimed that he was a lord that disappeared seven years ago. I still remember that when I was 12 years old, a landed lord disappeared from the kingdom, without leaving any traces of himself. But this man can’t be him, right? I can’t trust him… I can’t trust anyone other than myself if I want to stay in power!

UcUDFdJLr47bWu2zenBkhZLdcMGNPXaANpdx4N2zRyRmPX-jvt1qKxQ3Hxwx4mi-TnUr16rIhssG4F9osy__Nl5TLb-32kU_yelrun1XGQ8LycjuLoHlN_rI1yenMjg5t817rfPY

18th May 1096

Today I heard from my wife that she is pregnant. But how? I was away, right? Maybe my wife has been unfaithful! I need to know the truth.

V2uKggfONUmnzHuY5hTEcCuIj3aNeq-W4NDTJe4BCc3X5tBsbN48ot6RNXxlgTa3imhBOlEZaFRVeRzy20n5i-gljmC4r64Okm41K9e8pUUISoxd6yV4ajo6kxRFtJ8XUuj32FDf

3rd August 1096

When I heard that my wife was pregnant, I didn’t sleep well. I always wondered how was she pregnant. When I had not slept well in a week, I hired a maid to get my wife’s confidence, and then find out am I really the father. Well, the maid found nothing suspicious about my wife’s pregnancy. I didn’t trust her or my wife, so I hired more spies. But today even they told me that there was nothing suspicious about my wife Clara’s pregnancy. She wasn’t happy at all when she heard that I had sent spies after her. She called me a paranoid…

16th December 1096

Everything has been going well, until this day. Christmas is getting closer and closer, and then Muslims declare war on me! Emir of Dhunnunnid declared war for the whole Barcelona! That heathen wants whole Barcelona for himself! I can’t lose the land that my mother so well ruled.

snyykGM0h34k1x9dvfmorgiKS03EGcr5VIp0R4SY7XNcuZsvLZ5GIIoQJtJyQ4mvah2oU0wD5zzxnytDwZHvrd-cJrh48nVv8RIBUvGcWpojFniRPN69lluqRWNKTh-HVC2Bxlp-

19th December 1096

I got letter from my wife Clara. She had finally given birth to a child. It was a boy and it was named Pedro by her request. Sadly the war has started, so I can’t see my new boy. He can stay with his mother for a while.

k_W___3UQaQw31jRXeMTSseGFllg540GCs1p9EyE2UuQkKebnO2Vl2cPajdSkOBT9Vl-PaOW_HCXvI6YiD58iZuag2lI5bujZ6e5lJYXnT_GibUVPKxfe6EsGEegyMDQL_N_DbbB

29th August 1097

I’m in Barcelona at the time I write this. I have gathered almost all of my two and a half thousand soldiers here. Also I hired one and a half thousand Sami soldiers to help me. So in total, I have over 4 thousand soldiers. Some are still coming, but they will soon arrive here. Unfortunately the enemy Emir called his ally to the war. They have, if I can trust my spies, almost 7 thousand soldiers! All besieging the southernmost province of Barcelona. Soon they have conquered it and they will come here, in Northern Barcelona…

Earlier today I got news from my Court Chaplain. He wrote that the majority of Mallorca’s population has converted to the Catholicism. That’s really good news! Sadly though, the other province of the duchy of Mallorca still has a Muslim majority.

1qZYUCWdVL4sJlgR9kVQsbZPeiyXNzB20dqX7QRljjUbP2amJ-fRbf2BWa8Tm62CT_-5pd8NGBZqadpFXajtfeuEmz5xDvhvBDxphJ5eWBo7qilfDT4leSRxZXp09HO4RSc8QMGF

14th November 1097

The crazy Muslims have conquered the castle of Tortosa. And they have decided to siege the whole province. And I cannot attack them as they have more soldiers than I do.

I’m also losing money badly. I only have couple of ducats and the mercenaries needs their reward. I also owe 350 ducats to Jews because of my mother! She borrowed money from them, and never paid back! Because of my money problems, I decided to expel Jews. That way I can get most of their money.

But I can’t understand people. Today, after I announced that the kingdom of Denmark will expel Jews, I accidentally heard couple of soldiers speak bad of me. They said I’m cruel, arbitrary and even paranoid! I am not paranoid!

9EdrzjC0zJHYVnMtO2OyCJMWH0tB_ZmIGV6eZCcKEjXe9Sh7wX7h4B2RO9SbcYKNbsvbYv272b3NbdVpz4t-ynqpEU08KnQizPQL2NHXq-5H8rISZIY06FBJCp-DpHmGAAXYHv5d

6th October 1098

This year’s April, the Holy Roman Emperor wanted to help me with my war against the Emir of Dhunnunnid! He was a man blessed by the God. Of course I accepted his request to come help me. But what happened next July? He died of old age. And the new Emperor didn’t want to help me with the war. I’m again in the war all by myself.

New Pope has also been elected. His name was Nicolaus III, And he, he was a genius. He invented this thing called “Crusade”. Every Catholic man can join to help the Pope with his Crusade. And if one does so, he will get all his sins forgiven and he will get place in heaven once he dies. Crusades’ targets are places that are under heathen’s control, and should be owned by Catholics, like Jerusalem or even Hispania. I think the new Pope will soon call his first Crusade...

But now little more about my own war. I hired more mercenaries couple months ago and some of the enemy soldiers has went away. Most likely to fight other wars. So today is a perfect time to strike! I will write later how the battle went.

JwaiD60fa8LTIRTRqp4EFDs1-7u678_86iNopAjzDhgbTxU3zkldRYArxj1OIMK9HsZsluzOAfABfNeezL8T78JlbIvaBa86W9tHFfqZc5tdVfVFHbglQYTBXjlTi3wy4vgYsVSM

24th March 1099

Quick note: 27th October 1098 the Pope finally called Crusade for the Jerusalem. I would join myself, but unfortunately I have my own war with the muslims.

Speaking of my war, I lost the battle. I lost it! I don’t understand how! It was looking so good for us! But we still somehow lose to the muslims. After they beat us, they conquered the castle of Barcelona. I still has more soldiers than they, so I decided to make second attack. It went like the first one. We lost, even though at first it looked like we would win.

And while the battle was ongoing, the King of Pomerania sent a letter to me, where he stated that he wanted to help me with my war. Well, of course I accepted his request, but it came so late, that I know we will lose this war…

SifD6CP0n9mDF9sZ035YouI-eSW5DtUlW-3BYtN8ATFfom72HZjgCFC55XyW3IpFxTef7Ue4btf3F4w-ZrPwBJer4GrCFCmn_SxoEc6rd2iz9XTI6EOjH41oYcSvdsxamH2gG_Oq

25th March 1099

The muslims forced me to sign peace deal. They got the whole Barcelona for themselves… Luckily I still have the duchy of Mallorcas, the archipelago in Mediterranean. Still, my mother wouldn’t be happy, if she was alive.

23rd August 1100

I finally decided to help the Pope with his Crusade, so I joined on his side against the muslims. I hope we will win this Crusade and get the kingdom of Jerusalem in Catholics’ hands. The Crusade has been going on for two years, and the Pope is fortunately winning. So most likely I won’t lose that many soldiers as the most important battles are already fought, and I still get a place in “the heaven”.

22nd September 1100

Today I received a letter from the Emir of Abbadid while I was gathering my armies for the trip to the Holy land. The letter was a declaration of war! I only have the Duchy of Mallorca in the Hispania, and now they the muslims want it for themselves! Luckily my armies are already ready for the sea trip, so we are going to get quickly to Hispania. The Jerusalem and the Crusade can wait.

17th November 1100

Today I received another letter from a muslim Emir. This time from the Emir of Granada. He also declared war for Mallorca. He also wants the duchy of Mallorca! It is going to be hard to beat both of these emirs and their allies…

20th April 1102

I sailed with my armies to the Hispania, and we landed in the Duchy of Abbadid, while the Abbadid’s armies were besieging the Mallorcas. I was free to siege the capital of the Abbadid. I conquered the capital and some other neighbouring provinces, but at the same time the enemy conquered castles and cities in the Mallorcas…

Last summer I hired two and a half thousand Lithuanian mercenaries to help me. I really need every soldier I can get, to beat these muslims. And worst of all is that I cannot even help the Pope with his Crusade. He has to win the Crusade without me.

But I also have some really good news. Earlier today I got a letter from the King of Sweden, where he stated that he wants to help me with my war against the Abbadid. I already sent him a letter, where I said that I will accept his request to help me. Those Scandinavians are actually pretty good people. Kinda like we, Catalans.

C4Cvi7OQOsxFmXVpAxgBIbgLls-wO_ifjWRCPIHy1j1LAc02_yWR7BHkq2ncGg_zMF6iG9lft1y8PiBO4fnd1_GqTepFZAX1BKa6jh4yZhA07BIHhPTwz74VaHgNHQUaRFnzQztT

23rd August 1102

I got a letter from the Pope himself today. He informed all of the Christian World that the Crusade for Jerusalem was successful. Great news. Pope and his other allies had won without my help. I really wanted to help them, but I just couldn’t…

The letter also stated that the Duke Walther of the Lower Lorraine, a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire, was the biggest participant in the war. He was given the title of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. He still is a vassal of the Empire though.

DApI-1_ChEqECjw0liQNzBn17kva74UzreCfJkl2Tr46ipus7HukeryUY_vN3yvlYzNrNhHo7r2vSnbm6qI_nzmZ0yq6I05EkFQ0s4rcvZJ5Iz67CmzgPkATKjuX7ZxSO903qMWe

2nd February 1104

I’m losing both of my wars. Not badly, but still losing. Last year my allies tried to attack the enemy armies in Mallorcas. It didn’t work out, and so they lost many good soldiers for nothing. And what I’m doing? I’m still conquering the lands of the Abbadid. As long as the enemy has superior armies than me, I must avoid any battles.

I heard from my spies that the muslims, both Granada and Abbadid, are sending most of their armies to Denmark. I’m not scared, this is actually good thing. I can kill their little armies that are left here in Hispania, and I can conquer the Mallorcas back and even more of their land. They did a stupid move.

But now I want to write more about the religious situation of the world, even though some of these are old news.
Two months after the Crusade was over, in November 1102 (Two years ago), the Sunni muslims’ religious head, Caliph, renewed the Jihads. These Jihads might start an another time of muslims’ expansion. Hopefully not though...
At the same time muslims also formed their first “holy” order, the Bektashi order. It is going to protect the muslim faith from outside danger. Stupid ideas both Jihads and Bektashi order, I say.

Sadly today we got the worst news of them all. Sunni muslims got a new Caliph, and this new Caliph called a Jihad for Anatolia! I hope the Byzantine Emperor can beat those heathens and their stupid holy order. I hope…

Xz6y4KrKtmmI8VyL813OFCrneh5U4CFd-8bNApUC-XzSos6vhyXgQC89XfwyE6wd-07dlxhJqwHynv8xGgNYq7wPsvSHfMJw_IgFZGLoahMZPUGHJUrwslRzROvPXCXvSHAdFWYE

1st May 1105

Good ones: I have been able to conquer many of the enemy castles and cities, as most of thier armies are in the main Denmark. I have also been able to kill their smaller armies that were left here in Hispania. I have fought so well and conquered so much that the wars are looking to end for white peace. That would be more than perfect.

But the bad news. Earlier today I got a letter from my vassal, Duke of Mallorca. He wrote that the muslim population of the Mallorca’s has started a massive revolt. They are demanding independence. He also wrote that the rebels have at least eight thousand soldiers. Way more than I’m capable of getting. Seems like I am capable of winning the war against the muslim Emirs, but not the war against muslim peasants.

ITOfT5Nz-dR-AZm9mDCHMKGQPaMRe8ydilLfR5651V6BJaw5yXBrnrFts0unBcpzIbLmFbEx8fr-cVKbdadZ6hAD4sMWfd8Zn3lUdDJ3_bZRobfgk-BzNGET5HqCjjWwcojG-D5n

17th May 1105

Last entry was quickly written in the time of battle of Tartas, where we fought against the Granadian army. The battle ended today, for our victory. I think it was the last battle with the Granada. Today I will send a letter to the Emir of Granada and demand white peace. He must accept it, he can’t win anymore!

26th May 1105

The Granadian Holy War for Mallorca has ended for white peace! The Emir of Granada accepted my peace deal, and so I only have one war going on anymore. The bigger problem though is that the rebels are conquering the Mallorcas rather quickly. Even if I win the war with the Emir of Abbadid, I still will most likely lose the duchy of Mallorca. For the rebels.

23rd December 1106

For a year I conquered more Abbadid land, but as the time went by I knew it didn’t help me at all. I have to crush the rebels, so I would have even a little chance of keeping Mallorcas. So, I decided that we are going to attack the rebels very soon. Half of them are in the other island of Mallorcas, so I decided to attack the smaller army. Unfortunately it seems that the bigger army is coming to help the one we are attacking. That means we are going to lose this battle... For sure. But we cannot retreat anymore, we are so close to the shore.

14th January 1107

The rebels, they beat us. I sent on 1st of January a letter to the rebel leader. I wrote that I will surrender. Today he sent a letter where he stated that he will accept the peace.
He will get to whole duchy of Mallorca for himself. And he will be independent. This is a sad day for my dynasty. I lost the last piece of land I had in Hispania…

J4PkeIoSefzZXpLAAUtHZvgZgJ0xFyGP-cz5XcX99A5vGtEo1WY4xY0YgOzOIG5P3KHX0YbjCm-Vy_FT-MwVOvcTpR2EglaXGrcYT8otClP1yPuZgnYgMTh9uQdD1DdAIXxmgCB7

10th April 1107

I have thought about getting a good ally in Hispania that could help me get my dynasty’s land back. Well it is obvious that I want Castille as an ally. The King García of Castille is the most powerful man in the Hispania at the moment. I suggested to the King of Castille that my younger son, Pedro, and his youngest daughter, Anderquina, should get betrothed. He accepted it, and now we have non-aggression pact. It is the first step towards an alliance.

17th October 1108

Castille. The King García of Castille is in big trouble now. He is in a war with muslims and Lombard Invaders. And now he needs all help he can get, so he suggested to me that we would form a proper alliance. I of course accepted it, and now we have an alliance between our great kingdoms. I need to help him with his wars though, but what an ally would I be if I didn’t help him! I will go to the kingdom of Castille with my armies as quickly as possible.

XbQ66AgIO-QUsIbRyViNSIsvNEjMVlQXfCfJaLDh_wZz8PnktPY7_1VCZ--gE5uYaU8v-pXSNCHS2pJcHWSLpLI_Pdky8tZAlfGbafOUAwZkNeKTraD343rS7fQheVixYJEMx9K8

10th April 1109

King of Pomerania sent me letter today. He proposed that my brother Nichlas and his 14 years old daughter Wera should get betrothed matrilineally. Nichlas has been unmarried for many many years, so it would be good to get him a wife. I accepted the betrothal, and so I have non-aggression pact with the King of Pomerania.

3rd September 1109

I have been here, in Castille, helping my ally fight his enemies. These wars has been very even, either side winning or losing. I can’t say are we able to kill all Castille’s enemies, but we are trying.

I also got very good news from the East. The Emperor of the Byzantine Empire informed all of the Christian World that he was able to drive away the muslim invaders. The Jihad for Anatolia has failed. The muslims are even weaker than I have thought.

9lD2fGVW6JfTd1DiC2y_7LteivGDXxXMMeqiyzG28BM30t0Hp0t0KW7wLaUpZbLYpa_uA9OfoLWu0-D9ClW-QCyVhD4EXaKDimcbas3SHZ5WVNFwUFIBDlXUTKSoyqePG_Rp58on

14th February 1111

Good news for Castille, and of course for me. We have achieved a white peace in one of the three wars we are in. Still, the other two wars are not going that well. The enemies has more soldiers than we and they have occupied land in the Castille. This is not looking good...

K05Cr9EBCSU0AFDfIkTIzSsH6OQ1NsB-bASCfaAchMErE5fLwz5moATsOvr_NQMuB8ZF7xxEaaxS5KnGbqzXZrBlDA1jrxWDK6CRgJR9l1_sLpbuYz2eX781GLx1p6s4GQobj3VI

12th May 1112

My good ally. King García of Castille. He has died some time ago… The new King of Castille is his son, Fernando. We two are not even allies as the betrothal between my son Pedro and García’s daughter has been canceled.

I have been conquering Navarrese castles for over a year now, and I didn’t even know how big impact I made. We won the war against the tiny kingdom of Navarra. King Fernando must be happy now. He could not have won without my help. Now we still have a war against the Lombard Invaders.

Last year, on 20th March, my brother Nichlas finally got married with the daughter of the King of Pomerania. Or should I say “the late King”. King García of Castille is not my only ally that has died. The King of Pomerania has also died sometime ago. I didn’t know him as well as I did García. But I still will miss him.

The interesting thing about the dead of the king of Pomerania is that the new ruler of Pomerania is not a king… It is a Queen. More specific my brother’s wife. That means Nichlas is a king! Well, he has no power, but at least he has a nice title. I hope their marriage will be happy and peaceful.

K9hhFrjeeEkPP0hTJfkGot00T4k2rxAsN7Al_nXZdV6ScwutYtTB8AZi1_FP9lLl6hjvV17TbEegaTfoS9UiAao8Yx-MvSh0AyGxCW1y9_WbyvIwahRP3aXwbxr3jXmLN1U1Nn38

1st January 1113

The Christian world is surely becoming more and more powerful. Today a messenger ran to me. He had important news. Some knights who had previously protected pilgrims in Jerusalem, now has formed a Christian holy order named Knights of St. John. Very interesting development. They will help any Christian ruler with their wars against heretics and heathens.

Last month, in December, my second boy, Pedro, had become an adult. He has finally finished his education in the ways of war. I demanded to know how good he was in his studies. Soon I got a letter from his tutors, and they all said he was brilliant strategist. I was glad to hear that I have good a heir for my kingdom.

Yes, Pedro will be my heir. The kingdom of Denmark is an Elective Despotic Kingdom, so I and every duke can vote for the next king. Luckily I only have two duke vassals, and both of them are voting for themselves. And as I king, my vote is the tie-breaker, so I can decide fully myself who I want for the Crown.

And as I have not seen my older son in many many years, because he lives with his mother Duchess of Flanders, I decided to vote my younger son, Pedro, for the Crown. He surely will be better king than his brother Gerard.

-ojRAHgZ6cGREE_X_SqQ1zVS-g741fZgVYMVq2luPu4tCkqF9LHwX1HfI1w1kVqImjT6105M1dJTpTOBYfQJKw2k0daQ5CxyLiP_B0rAz2XjMlpyCb3IW2jkhRsuyY-xJPI1IaX1

24th May 1115

The last Castilian war ended as I predicted. The Lombard Invaders had so huge forces compared to mine and Castilian. They won the war, and they got everything they wanted. Now mercenary band, Lombard Band, has its own nation.

But I have my own problems. I heard that the Duke Ingvar of Uppland, Swedish madman, is preparing an invasion for my kingdom. Luckily I have ton of money, so when he is about to attack, I will hire mercenaries to fight for me. I think I can handle this.

Sadly though I have heard that some people doesn’t trust me anymore. I have even earned nickname “Ill-leader”. How do they dare to give me such a nickname! I have lost Barcelona and Mallorca, but that doesn’t make me bad leader! Right?... I’m not even sure myself. I hope people give me one more chance to show that I’m worth the Crown…

I need a drink.

Of4Sk8PNKn1l25lDnFhO_WFWTjLyOyHcsF5WcvnnYcEQHIzlV-f9sJG5Q8nSftjOeDBmZHHEAMmUhEMcE2JeElzMAG2HzV0GCVRlgtSokB3D0SGakH618MOcKeZozrudBwWBjwcD

8th February 1117

The Swedish Duke Ingvar decided to not launch his invasion. He has one big problem that prevented him from attacking. He is in another war. But my people doesn’t need to know that, right? I will tell tell them that our kingdom was so powerful that the Swedish Duke decided to not attack. I hope I will earn everyone's trust back.

As the war didn’t start, I decided to use my saved money to build a new castle in Sjælland, in the capital of Denmark. In the only province I directly rule… My country is so decentralized that I need to get land back from my vassals. But for that I need soldiers. Maybe I could invade some poor place, like Finland, to get some land and that way those extra soldiers.

1st January 1118

It has already been 5 whole years when the Knights of St. John was formed. And today I heard about new holy order, Knight Templars. It was formed by some wealthy knights, and as the previous holy order, this one can also be called to help against heretics and heathens.

In November here, in Denmark, we had really big problem with pirates in our waters. Some said the pirates were sent by my ally, Queen of Pomerania. To show my advisors and vassals that I trust them, I sent a letter to the Queen of Pomerania asking about this thing. She was angry that I even though she was the one who sent them, so I apologized her. Luckily she forgave me, and everything is back to normal. Expect that we still have the pirates in our waters…

Last month I betrothed my son Pedro with the Duchess Kinga of Greater Poland. She is underaged, but she is already a powerful vassal the King of Poland.

Mwg5xM_oWl8Q_3R_mOXx_FYfzjAok4UhH7NvkSv6thppSQ3YhdOheENtdGBxuGgVy-bYT-8eNJlxb6yOyoN-nJaVR2rpwK-T_YVU4jXWjBkvVwkMzn0XttjOENjKK02-indt7vIF

11th December 1118

This world has two happy owners of new castles. In the summer the Knight Templars got permission to build castle in the kingdom of Jerusalem. The castle was named Beit Dejan, and it shall be the headquarters of the Knight Templars. The Templars are doing well.

The second owner of new castle is me. The castle I started building over a year ago has finally been build. Now I have two castles, which is still way too little for a king like myself…

27th December 1120

Today I finally decided that it is time to declare war for some land. My advisors told me that in the region of Finland there is some really weak and small tribes I could conquer. The only problem is that there is also one really big tribe, Livonia. And if it decides to help its little neighbours, I could be in trouble. I still decided to take the risk, and I declared a “holy” war for the county of Uusimaa.

DU_EDSpfU-Zo7q-X_dVHQZeIYl_4NQ1tpL8QJyiMIImu66ivA2XA4E7s8nF1HiwnP2XA_sqI7hLwp-plJaeDGXagjr97Ftmkt8oaYMX-cbMswQMYtjQX5Z1TlMSS0Cx85oyY33RM

25th May 1121

The High Chief of Livonia decided to come help his little neighbouring county of Uusimaa. Livonia has so many soldiers that combined with the Uusimaa’s soldiers, we are most likely going to lose this war. But I’m still gonna try!

Today my son, Pedro, requested to join the Knights Templars, even though he is the heir of the kingdom of Denmark. Joining the Knights Templars would disinherit him, so I didn’t let him join them, and now he is upset. I’m sure he will understand later why I didn’t let him go.

o79HK54rgzcBi0Q6tzNNPhHsDObn5KgX9TpjJxwOvYNKqgEkF1OxUiSD6-6EX22kGNdlziwQ9a6Rl0_eI2aAe85JatJ4CsFXOgDi4mpAmcu7qpHcbVjUdKr12PuwOuz9-Esiv2It

2nd October 1121

Today my son Pedro and the Duchess Kinga of Greater Poland will get married. I’m happy for them. Sadly though I can’t attend the wedding as I’m leading my troops in this god-forsaken Finland. This place is so cold, so uncivilized and so sparsely populated I’m surprised that this place is even drawn in the maps.

And my ally, Queen of Pomerania, can’t help me because she has her own rebels causing problems. I hired some mercenaries but I think, I can’t win this war anymore…

MvujUhMTRn-P761zN7tmhpttAOi13SVFNO0C9tK8uRo6bZaMYSCGEYVCUj7z3cF_KxDJKuaqeAaWc5yS3H24o0jBgDY7n6Z7LbmjE-HGOHk9WN4SUqHcYhgKSCKISw3VHnhFSVx0

2nd October 1121

I was winning the war… Only if the High Chief of Livonia wouldn’t have come to help Chief of Uusimaa…

I lost the war. I lost to primitive Finns and their primitive allies! How is that possible? I question myself that everyday…

Have I won any war? No! Only helped Castille win couple of wars, but that’s it! I have lost all my land in Hispania, I lost to Finns, I only have one county and my country is so decentralized and ruler by the council that I don’t know what I’m going to do!

itwFJXez2e25UrUbdeC5L7Kz4VR0W5DfaT9hnCK5X_HrbxZvl8Hgb1i5gzd-ncXnu4jY_84JsSjRJpPXgjcLkG04TB-lil1GWWVYllmASUrfjDnfA1rY8Lc3eYICWpx8rTJrj8jL

31st March 1123

Finally I found my father’s journal. I’m his second son, Pedro. I wanted to finish his journal.
This morning couple of my servants ran to me and said I must come to the castle’s backyard. I didn’t know what was going on but when I got there…

I saw my father... I saw my father lying on the ground. He seemed lifeless. When I turned him around, I saw that he was really dead… He was so pale…
It was clear. My father had made suicide last night. He was so stressed and depressed all the time. And he drank a lot. I hate to say this, but he was a drunkard.

The funeral will be held as quickly as possible, and after that I will be coronated as the new King…

2L9aMxbGXHYb6qoej8WqX5Ipj7n2BfUj8nJEOlbhx2aSyoJO0vhEgmRdpg54T4QcK-q8oPTlXVqegLRTTDe61_wyvrFE48zsdSeb5c_bmkC4VBMBZX773bM9J2vYVb3a8FvSamI5

((Phew! Now that has been done! I was away from home for a week so that's why this took longer than expected :p
Jesus christ Jan, you did bad this time. I will restore us to glory, I swear.

WOW...
I WAS FURIOUS! I worked so damn hard in getting our land in hispania and Janha lost ALL of it. I'd be okay with maybe a few provinces, but our entire Hisanian land? This has turned into a Denmark AAR. XD I'll make sure we win it all back in due time.

Truly, noone could top the duchess.
Thank you very much. I just got very lucky in my reign :)

Sounds of Eternity

Chapter two - Moving to Demark

Prologue

20th October 1095

23rd January 1096

18th May 1096

3rd August 1096

16th December 1096

19th December 1096

29th August 1097

14th November 1097

6th October 1098

24th March 1099

25th March 1099

23rd August 1100

22nd September 1100

17th November 1100

20th April 1102

23rd August 1102

2nd February 1104

1st May 1105

17th May 1105

26th May 1105

23rd December 1106

14th January 1107

10th April 1107

17th October 1108

10th April 1109

3rd September 1109

14th February 1111

12th May 1112

1st January 1113

24th May 1115

I need a drink.

8th February 1117

1st January 1118

11th December 1118

27th December 1120

25th May 1121

2nd October 1121

2nd October 1121

31st March 1123

IzBR2Jk.gif