• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #12: The Maim event

Hello all, it’s time for another DD about ZombieInvasion <Secret DLC*>! Today we’ll take a look at what we’ve done to the Maimed trait. Well, we’ve removed it! People without <Secret DLC> can still be Maimed, of course, but the lucky owners of <Secret DLC> will instead receive more specific injuries, such as: One-handed, One-legged, One-Eyed, Disfigured, or Mangled (this represents severe trauma to the torso, mostly). As well as allowing more specific wounds and flavor, this has allowed us to remove the Health penalty from most of these traits (Mangled still has one though). Instead, when you receive a maiming-type injury you will also receive the Severely Injured trait, which has some health and stat penalties, but will be lost after some time has passed. Afterall, while losing a hand is certainly not an enjoyable process, you do eventually heal up and can be perfectly healthy besides the missing appendage. Also, if anyone is feeling creative, please suggest interesting effects for these new traits - we do of course have some penalties on them, but I worry they are a little dull, so fire away and I may shamelessly steal your ideas.

Since both One-eyed and Disfigured affect the faces of characters, we have added a lot of new portrait props to reflect this. Here is a small sample of what you might see ingame:
showcase.jpg

We have also added several events relating to life with missing body parts:
facey.jpg

a disfigured ruler holds a masquerade ball

handy.jpg

the loss of a hand is a severe blow to a famous warrior

That’s all for now, next week I am not certain which DD we will show, either I will talk about some extra Pagan features we’ve added, or Doomdark will give you some of his thoughts about CK2. It will be a surprize!

*= DLC contains no zombies

Reactions:
Although it may be impossible , will you fill the gap between (maybe 769 ) 867 and 1066 ,fill the black hole of the provinces in the history data (ex: Maldives doesn't have a ruler after 1141) or improve the game efficacy ?

Reactions:
Not exactly related, but maybe related to <Secret DLC>. My humble idea:

Could you define various reason of death? So dying a natural death -> died of a stroke, died a peaceful death etc.
Or dying of an accident -> fell of the stairs, run over by a horse etc.

And when your dying, couldn´t there be cases where you die slowly: "I´m on my deathbed". For a couple of days or so?

That would be sweet. I was always thinking: "Man, I would like to know how he died". Would give double-plus for the storytelling immersion.

Oh, besides, I love this game.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reactions:
Also, if you used to be fair and got disfigured (I'm assuming you're not fair anymore once you get disfigured) there should be a few events where you chase outlandish forms of treatment, possibly exacerbating your condition. And maybe a prettier mask could be a result because seriously.

I don't have any suggestions for stats, but I'd love it if you'd add a flavor event for getting a prosthetic hand or limb once they're severed. Here's my rough thoughts
1. Event pops and lets you decide if you'd like a prosthetic. Probably some time after the health penalty goes away
2. You can decide the material.
-Wood: Free but no effect, and maybe a prestige loss
-Standard metal: Small prestige gain but cost some money.
-Rare metal (like gold): High cost but large prestige gain, and maybe a positive opinion modifier if you're feeling generous.
3. Special materials or limbs different traits
-Proud: unlocks an even more expensive hand than rare material. Could be extremely ornate and gem encusted.
-Greedy: locks you from rare metal option
-Lunatic/Possessed: A real hand sewn onto your limb. Obvious penalties for doing it but maybe possessed could do some ave satan stuff and completely heal the wound.
-Duelist: A hooked hand that gives +1 to personal combat
-Midas Toched: A special rare metal hand that gives a bonus to stewardship.
Sorry most of these are hands, but it's harder to think of unique stuff for lost legs.

For extra fun the event could also proc if you get castrated. Though that is a tad silly.

Reactions:
I wonder of these masks also effect diseases like Syphilis, and if the masks are generated randomly or thanks to one's personality. For example, a cruel ruler could wear a black mask (like Cesare Borgia for example) while wealthy leaders could have one of gold.

Also, is the mask optional, or will it be added instantly with the required stat? I would love to take it on and off at will, though I doubt that will happen though.

Anyway, good job! Looking forward to this DLC!!!

Reactions:
I didn't come up with any ideas for straight up modifiers but I came up with a few event ideas for stuff:

One-handed:

Crazy Inventor/Doctor
An event chain can be triggered with an inventor convincing you he can affix a hook to your arm.
  1. Send him away
  2. Give him money and brace (hehe) yourself
    • 20% He did a hack job and injured you in the process
    • 80% You gain a stylish hook hand, general adoration, and a remedial bonus to martial maybe?
If you have the hook, chance for the following events:
Spouse/lover is not happy with hook-hand:
So you have your fancy hook, there's just one issue - your spouse is not a fan.
  1. You gain "Spouse repelled by hook hand" modifier, decreasing relations, happiness & sexy time chances
  2. If you have Hedonist, Master Seducer/Seductress or Lustful, you can show your spouse that the hook can be fun too (too gross? :D), gaining a positive modifier instead

(this next one could be more general, too - remove the hook-stuff and just generalize it and it can apply to all disabilities - "I'm a monster" "I'm shy now =(" "I'm proud of it!" "I am ANGRY!")
Questioning your hook hand:
Your hook hand is useful, but doesn't it make you a little bit of a weirdo?
  1. I'm a monster! (gain a modifier for - sex fun, fertility, and some other stuff, or just Depression)
  2. [have Chaste, Humble or Paranoid, do not have Shy] I think I'll stick to myself more (lose Gregarious, gain Shy)
  3. [have Proud, Brave or Ambitious] I am proud of my hook hand! (prestige modifier)
  4. [have Possessed, Impaler, Wroth or Cruel] I may be a monster but at least I have this handy torture hook situation! (public opinion modifier, torture one prisoner, chance to maim or kill them)

If you have the hook & are Possessed, Impaler, Wroth or Cruel, the following event can trigger:
Your classic hook-hand shenanigans:
During an argument with someone (court/vassal), you start to feel an urge
  1. Resist your impulses (or maybe this option isn't even available *wiggles eyebrows*)
  2. Accidentally lose control and attack the person, chance to wound, maim, or kill, opinion modifier

If you have the hook & are at a feast
Slightly less classic but still kinda classic hook-hand shenanigans:
During a night of drinking, you accidentally hook-stabbed a person (attendee of feast)
  1. He'll live (-opinion modifier with afflicted person, -smaller public opinion modifier)
  2. Pay off the dude (-even smaller public opinion modifier)
  3. Apologize (-prestige, -opinion with afflicted person modifier)

If you are unhappy about your hook hand and have a friend/lover, the following event can trigger:
Friend/lover consoles you about hook hand:
Person comes to you and tells you that you're still pretty cool despite your hook hand.
  1. Life doesn't suck (lose the sad modifier)
  2. You don't know what you're talking about! (lose relationship)

Reactions:
I don't have any suggestions for stats, but I'd love it if you'd add a flavor event for getting a prosthetic hand or limb once they're severed. Here's my rough thoughts
1. Event pops and lets you decide if you'd like a prosthetic. Probably some time after the health penalty goes away
2. You can decide the material.
-Wood: Free but no effect, and maybe a prestige loss
-Standard metal: Small prestige gain but cost some money.
-Rare metal (like gold): High cost but large prestige gain, and maybe a positive opinion modifier if you're feeling generous.
3. Special materials or limbs different traits
-Proud: unlocks an even more expensive hand than rare material. Could be extremely ornate and gem encusted.
-Greedy: locks you from rare metal option
-Lunatic/Possessed: A real hand sewn onto your limb. Obvious penalties for doing it but maybe possessed could do some ave satan stuff and completely heal the wound.
-Duelist: A hooked hand that gives +1 to personal combat
-Midas Toched: A special rare metal hand that gives a bonus to stewardship.
Sorry most of these are hands, but it's harder to think of unique stuff for lost legs.

For extra fun the event could also proc if you get castrated. Though that is a tad silly.

If you get the gold limb you should have a percentage chance at a Nickname.

Example:
My ruler loses a hand, gets it replaced with a gold hand, he should become "XXX Gold-hand"

Reactions:
Also, on actual ideas:

If you've been blinded in one eye, and you're a) a king or an emperor, or b) have a high amount of prestige (let's say 2000-3000) (along with a high martial skill for both), you can get an event which gives you the nickname of the One-Eyed Dragon. Alternatively, it gives you the semi-trait (similar to the loan trait) of 'One-Eyed Dragon', which gives you a general opinion boost, a morale boost, and a martial skill boost. For those of you who don't know, this is a semi-reference to Date Masamune (a Sengoku-era Japanese daimyo).

And another idea for being blind: if you get blinded totally as a pagan, be it in one or two separate incidents, you can train yourself to become like the wind, and use sound as your guide. This would remove some of the skill detriments to being blind, along with giving you a slight martial skill boost.

Reactions:
Do you have facial features for harelip?

Also what about characters gaining the depression trait after losing a limb?

And ordering people's tongues/hand to get cut off if they speak foul of someone or steal? What about castration for "forced seduction".

If you get the gold limb you should have a percentage chance at a Nickname.

Example:
My ruler loses a hand, gets it replaced with a gold hand, he should become "XXX Gold-hand"

That could be fun. Though I suppose it should apply for all of these injury traits. We need more titles in general. I can only see "The Sword of ___" so many times before it gets old. Some suggestions because why not

1. The cripple
2. Half-Hand (hehe)
3. Iron Head/Face (for having a mask)
4. The Midas (For gold hand maybe)
5. (Easter egg?) Eye-Patch + Wooden Leg + Hook Hand = The Swashbuckler
6. Frail + Torso Injury = The Weak
7. Half-Man (castrated)

Reactions:
I would suggest that the "Severely Injured" temporary trait should require a regency, as the ruler is unable to govern while lying on a bed recovering from such an injury.

Reactions:
I'm commenting without reading other respondents.

Event ideas? Ok:

Lost hand: gain a friendship with another warrior, or "shieldman/maiden". The greatest complication for an amputee would be in maneuvering on the battlefield with a shield, which another person could provide.

Lost eye: a zealous northman might find himself on the same path as Odin toward wisdom--even receiving raven visitations. They might also be going mad. You can draw other inspiration from the lives of the Norse gods, some of whom were maimed.

In fact, drawing from various mythological stories might be swell, depending on culture.

Rhetorical question: what might a man do to be "whole" once more? Many things... even things of questionable wisdom and morality. This way also lies madness.

And a maimed lunatic is quite dangerous... unless you like the idea of a court full of disfigured cripples inflicted by His Majesty's sense of new... personal aesthetics.

Other comments: you need accidents or battle injuries that blind and castrate as well.

Significant injury might well spur a person to take vows, or otherwise abdicate early--even if not otherwise depressed. And they certainly could lead to stress and/or compensating behavior (hedonism, et al).

Just a few ideas.

--Khanwulf

Reactions:
Of course it is just a stereotype. But having these injuries possibly having some side effect besides just worse health and diplomacy makes for a more fun game.

(Actually now that I think of it: the reason for the eye patch was so that when the pirates went below decks, one of their eyes was already adjusted to the dark.)

Reactions: