• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The old marshal smiled at the news brought from the capital, feeling pride beaming inside him. He felt that he surpassed his grandfather, maybe even surpassed the almost legendary in the family Maxime de Saint-Pierre. But he felt that not much life was left inside of him and that soon a new bright mind will become the marshal and another capable man will become the prime minister of Hispania. But there was one matter that just didn't allow Gaston to sleep. The Constituion brough up by the Mandromenos was truly a very troublesome matter... It was a great work, that could not be denied, but in the old man's mind calling someone else than the Emperor the head of state was an act of treason... And treason should be punished... But if he presented his case most likely nobody would side with him... So all he could do is oppose this possibly dangerious constitution.

Constitution: No
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre, Prime Minister of the Empire of Hispania, Marshal of the Realm, first Field Marshal, Margrave of Eastern Pyrenees, Count of Girona, Count of Roussillon, Baron of Perpinyà, member of the Cortz D'Hispania

[Duke, Marshal, Funded Colony, PM, Cortz]

Dear Count of Provance,
While I'm surprisedby your gracious offer, and I would happily accept if, if not for the fact that the matters of trade, both internal and external are up to the Grandmaster. We have to remember that the land we hold was gifted to us by out just emperor, who entrusted us with these holdings in his wisdom. But speaking of the Grandmaster... It has come to my attention that he has been a bit... absent recently. That is why I would like to appoint you as the next Grandmaster of Hispania, if you accept of course.
With all due respect,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre...

(( If BelisariustheGreat accepts then fire DukeDan as the grandmaster and appoint Belisarius. Also just one thing, nothing major, just something about the fluff. Because techincally zenphoenix is a Field Marshal, not a General, placing him higher in the chain of command. Also keep in mind we do have few ranks of generals :p But as I said it's nothing major, just some fuff.

Oh, one more thing, I would like to attempt conversion of Girona to Catholicism))

Sancho sat in his room, looked over through the window. But from one moment to an other, Sanchos new personal messenger, Juan Castilliano (4/1/3), arrived in his room and showed Sancho a letter, written by the Prime Minister. Sancho was very excited when he opened the paper and began to read...
After some while a smile appeared at Sanchos face. Okay the Prime Minister rejected his offered trade cotract, but he said Sancho to be the new Grandmaster. This was the second promotion in some weeks. Diplomat and Grandmaster at once. But... would it be possible? Sancho thought a while about it, than he wrote an answer to the Prime Minister.
Dear Prime Minister,
i happily accept your gratious offer to get into the position of an Grandmaster. I will follow my tBut as you maybe heared i am also in charge as an diplomat and wanted to ask if it is possible to hold both positions for me. Also i told you already about Enrique, the son of an friend. He had an agreement with his father and would prefer to get in the glorious Hispanian Army, and so i wrote this letter also to your position as an Marshal. Enrique prefers it to start as an leader of a Squadron of Cavalry.
With servilety and respect
Sancho de Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange
Count in Provence
Only legit Prince of Orange
Sancho was happy. He arrived in the riege of the ministers. Sancho also worked some days on an law, named Colonial Restriction.
The Merchants from our Colonial Nations are a not that small threat for our Merchants and so we should higher the taxes. Also this strange Merchants are bringing new Religions from America and Asia. A Restriction on them would higher our income and the religious unity ((There is a policie wich gives you +10%income from tariffs and +20% Religious Unity. Surprise it is called: Colonial Restrictions

Juan was bored. Not one girl were able to make him a little bit happier. It was 5 years back that he tried to kill his brother in Valencia. 5 years. Still Juan was the real Count in Provence it seemed. But Sancho wrote him letters all the time to have controll over Juan. The Advisors, friends of Sancho, not from Juan, also were controlling him. Nothing was made on his decision. Not one point. And than, the Bastard of Sancho: A boy the girls looked for, Intelligent and nice. Juan wanted to kill atleast one of both. And if not Sancho then Enrique...((A little family drama. Oh and a description of Juan:
Character: Brutal, Paranoid
Body: Fat and he loves good food and young girls.))

Maria de Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange looked out the window and waited for the night. She loved the night and the moon, shining bright over the hills and Mountains around Goudon. She lived here in Summer months, far,far away from her brother and the court. She was a sensible nature and cried al the time when she was a child. Her Cousin, Isabel de Chalon-Nassau also lived in Goudon, and both were best friends and enjoyed the fresh air.
((So a new Place: I want to show how the family was working on their tasks))

Hernando was still in prayer when a young monk arrived and ordered him to the abbot.
"Hernando, as you maybe heared or great Christian Church needs and talented monk at the court to talk with them about our problems. We are the third biggst monestary in Hispania, but the land they gave us is worthless. The arrogant Nobles have to be reminded on that." "Yes my father" Hernando said " I will follow your order. But it is a long travel to Valencia. I need help, guards, soldiers that are protecting me." "We ordered 20 Mercenaries from Lyonnaise. Brother Fernando and Brother Louis are also on this mission for god." "My abbot i will no return to my room, pray to god and pack my things." "Go brother Hernando, go..."
(( So some family members are able to see an other in some time. And one will maybe feel the plot...))

Last edited:
Sancho learned in his past that to get a high position, you have to wait. And the time he heared the news that many counts turned into dukes, he didn't felt insulted. He were still to young to get such a high title. ((@Michaelangelo i agree with you. I am to new and i and my dynasty never did something great for the Emporer so it is everything okay. I only want to be called a duke if i did something respectful and good for the Imperium. And don't forget: The final destination of my dynasty is to get the Princedom of Orange (Avignon) back;) ))

((For @Michaelangelo: You could increase the autonomy in Provinces owned by clergy/ nobles by 25% and in duchys by 50 % just to simulate this "independence" and that there are taxes going anywhere))

((Glad to see you understand. As for the autonomy thing, it wouldn't work so well since it'd just drop back down over time. I do always make the primary title of a duke join the noble estate, so that's an instant 25% autonomy. I was more thinking of a way to make it impact the iAAR rather than the game, since raising autonomy won't have any effect here.))

((So what would my ducal title be? Duke of Asturias or of Leon?))

((Probably Leon, seeing as it is your primary title. You could also make one up that sounds appropriate, but Duke of Leon does sound nice.))

((Convert Burgos to Catholic))

((The odds weren't in your favour for conversion. The province did not convert, but at least your efforts were not discovered.))

(( If BelisariustheGreat accepts then fire DukeDan as the grandmaster and appoint Belisarius. Also just one thing, nothing major, just something about the fluff. Because techincally zenphoenix is a Field Marshal, not a General, placing him higher in the chain of command. Also keep in mind we do have few ranks of generals :p But as I said it's nothing major, just some fuff.

Oh, one more thing, I would like to attempt conversion of Girona to Catholicism))

((I've just been using the in-game ranks, seeing as they're all general there. I'd be surprised if I could remember all those military ranks as the iAAR goes on. :p

Conversion was a close one. You were off by only 2 in the roll, so Girona doesn't convert. Even worse, you were discovered, so the court and emperor now know you've been resisting the Church of Jesus Christ.))

Sancho was happy. He arrived in the riege of the ministers. Sancho also worked some days on an law, named Colonial Restriction.

The Merchants from our Colonial Nations are a not that small threat for our Merchants and so we should higher the taxes. Also this strange Merchants are bringing new Religions from America and Asia. A Restriction on them would higher our income and the religious unity ((There is a policie wich gives you +10%income from tariffs and +20% Religious Unity. Surprise it is called: Colonial Restrictions

Enrique was happy for his father, Sancho. In a few weeks he made it from a small Count to the position of a Grandmaster. He also already asked the Marshal to make Enrique a leader of a squadron. It was warm but a small wind cooled it a little bit done, and so Enrique recognized his chance and went into the City. And so he walked around, thinking about his life and saw the prettiest girl ever. Sorrounded by Guards and servants she walked through the streets. The Guards were wearing the Court of Hispania. She was very young, maybe 19 or 20 and walked like Enrique thought a queen would walk. He asked some Workers who this girl was. Everyone said the same: That she is the grand-granddaughter of Francesc I, and from the Ruling Dynasty: the Trastámara's. And Enrique falled in love with a girl that didn't noticed that he exists or that he loves her. ((This is a small story to answer the Bachelor and Bachelorette s list:p . So: Enrique is in love with an maybe unreachenable Trastamara. I will now take a look at Provence where Juan, the brother of Sancho reigns))

((Well the time for proposing laws is over, so it'll have to wait until the next turn. I'll make note of it so we'll vote on it for the next voting round. You also don't need to actually write up a law for policies, since you can just suggest it and the in-game policy will be enacted. Just for curiosity's sake, which Trastámara are you referring to? Francesc I has four great-granddaughters on that list, after all. :p))

Félicien was glad to hear that the emperor in all his wisdom had decided to grant him the county of Calabria. Growing power in the region, another step to a distant dream... a crown. The duke of Trinacria contemplated this for a while, until a messenger disrupted these thoughts. A few letters. The first one had made a long travel - from Nova Hispania. He shortly wondered what it could be.
'Son, I feel perfectly fine. Even if I haven't found it yet, only a matter of time. Best of luck.' How did he get to Nova Hispania? Félicien wished his father would write a bit more, but knew that it was hopeless to expect that. Instead, he looked at the next one.

This was a more serious matter. He had just been made Margrave - and the Prime Minister immediately tried to use that and abolish the CJC's practices in his county of Girona. This reminded Félicien of his grandfather, always trying to spread the Protestant beliefs - that wasn't something very appreciated by the court, but contrary to Saint-Pierre, he had aimed at Catholic counties before Félicien had persuaded him to stop. Saint-Pierre was actively going against the religious policies of the empire - and that as Prime Minister! If there was one man who shouldn't be doing it, then the Prime Minister. The duke grabbed a quill.

Most esteemed Prime Minister,

I don't really want to believe what has come to my knowledge. That you have tried to convert Girona away from the Church of Jesus Christ. I know that my grandfather acted against the religious consent of the empire as well, but that was not directed against the CJC and only before I managed to stop him. But you are Prime Minister - the head of the small council, closest advisor of the emperor. You are expected to guide the imperial politics with the ministers, not to go against them. Catholics have all the rights they need under the CJC - your efforts are therefore directed against the empire itself. Maybe your advanced age led you to make this mistake. Maybe not. But either way, your advice clearly isn't in the empire's interests, and I urge you to resign from your offices, be it as Prime Minister, in the Cortz or as Marshal. This is why we need the constitution. To provide the best possible leadership for the empire. Resigning by yourself would be your wisest move and save your honour instead of fighting a losing battle. As the military advice goes: A wise general only fights a battle that he will win. Consider my advice.

Respectfully,
Félicien Pierre de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Diplomat of Hispania

Sancho was now a minister. The Grandmaster ((I will write something about a ceremony later)). Or he wasn't it official, but he already startet his work: he asked for in wich tradenodes Hispania had a presence ((In wich tradenodes we have more than 20%?)) How many ships the Empire could maintain ((I looked already on the Spam:p)) and how many trade ships were sailing for the Emporer himself ((Number of tradeships-102)). He worked on a plan for new protection of trade (I will show it on friday)) and thought about his religious problem: Sancho and his whole family except for Enrique and Hernando, were Catholic but the emporer a supporter of the Christian Church. And as a minister Sancho also should be from the same faith as his Emporer. So Sancho decided to convert to the Christian faith. In the old Church of "Santa Maria" he and his whole court of 300 members converted to the Christian faith (( i think the number of court members is realistic, Louis XIV had over 10000 i think. And the more than a half of my court is back in Provence. And such a small Count as i am cant have over 1000 servants and such.))

Most honorable Duke de Montségur,
While I do understand why you would see my action as treacherous, I have few things to say in my defense. First off, does following the teachings of my religion of against the Church of Jesus Christ? I am a proud Catholic, and while I can't quote the Bible from my head, I do know that our Lord and Savior wishes we spread his word, so do tell me, how does following my beliefs, beliefs allowed by the CJC against the Emperor or the Empire's inters. I ensure you that this was a well thought out act and that I would not do it if it was something that would hurt our glorious country or go against the Emperor's will. Second regarding the Constitution. I do not see how it would prevent people like me from rising so high. Also I assure you that I would never allow my religious beliefs to influence my advice for the Emperor. And to be frank this Constitution would only make it easier for people of high rank to cause damage to the Empire from within. This constitution limits the power of the Emperor. This Constitution will harm our nation. I do not ask for you to share my beliefs, for I know I will be unable to persuade you. But do think of my words when the Empire begins to crumble because of failed politics. And just keep in mind that was is a result of failed diplomacy. If men like you did your job right, there would be no need for armies. No need for men like me.
Respectfully,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre,
Prime Minister of the Empire of Hispania, Marshal of the Realm, first Field Marshal, Margrave of Eastern Pyrenees, Count of Girona, Count of Roussillon, Baron of Perpinyà, member of the Cortz D'Hispania

(( I'm not going to resign because spoiler alert: Gaston is going to die after next update. I was going to kill him off now, but I was very busy and unable to get it done before the vote.))

Dear Sancho de Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange,
While I am the Marshal and I am responsible for the army, I am not the recruiting officer. If this Enrique wishes to join the army and become the officer then he should sign up at the Military Academy in Valencia, the splendorous capital of our Empire. There, if he proves himself, he will gain the right education to lead the soldiers of our great nation forward into glory.
Respectfully,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre,
Prime Minister of the Empire of Hispania, Marshal of the Realm, first Field Marshal, Margrave of Eastern Pyrenees, Count of Girona, Count of Roussillon, Baron of Perpinyà, member of the Cortz D'Hispania

(( Please stop writing to me if your, or a character you control in other way, if you want to join the army. xD It's really not Marshals job anymore to appoint any of the petty officers and even the higher ranks are gained through at the academy or at the combat. The only exception are the generals and field marshals. ))

((I've just been using the in-game ranks, seeing as they're all general there. I'd be surprised if I could remember all those military ranks as the iAAR goes on. :p

Conversion was a close one. You were off by only 2 in the roll, so Girona doesn't convert. Even worse, you were discovered, so the court and emperor now know you've been resisting the Church of Jesus Christ.))

(( I never said you had to remember them, because they're all listed at the reform act xD. However as I mentioned it's only a bit of fluff so not that important. But I also doubt you'll have to know all of them. To be honest you would only need to know 4 of them, which are the ones we represent as generals in-game, but I know you already have enough on your head, so it doesn't matter. It's just a bit of fluff RP and nothing more. It's not going to influence anything in the AAR or in-game. But it matters greatly in pure RP, because a field marshal has all the generals under his command. Otherwise it makes no difference if they're called a general or marshal or whatever. ))

Reactions:
Sancho was now a minister. The Grandmaster ((I will write something about a ceremony later)). Or he wasn't it official, but he already startet his work: he asked for in wich tradenodes Hispania had a presence ((In wich tradenodes we have more than 20%?)) How many ships the Empire could maintain ((I looked already on the Spam:p)) and how many trade ships were sailing for the Emporer himself ((Number of tradeships-102)). He worked on a plan for new protection of trade (I will show it on friday)) and thought about his religious problem: Sancho and his whole family except for Enrique and Hernando, were Catholic but the emporer a supporter of the Christian Church. And as a minister Sancho also should be from the same faith as his Emporer. So Sancho decided to convert to the Christian faith. In the old Church of "Santa Maria" he and his whole court of 300 members converted to the Christian faith (( i think the number of court members is realistic, Louis XIV had over 10000 i think. And the more than a half of my court is back in Provence. And such a small Count as i am cant have over 1000 servants and such.))

((I'm not going to list every trade node we have over 20%, but basically Sevilla, Genoa, Venice, Ragusa, every one in Africa except around the Red Sea, and all the American ones south of California and the Rio Grande.

Just as a note, people don't need to feel compelled to convert to the "Christian" faith. It's more of an umbrella faith that covers all Christian religions with no actual ceremonies or practices of its own. I only designate the emperors as Christians because they're head of the Church, but I still list players as the various sects even if they recognize themselves as Christian, if just to show which practices and such they'd follow. It really makes no difference which one a player follows as long as it falls under the overarching Church of Jesus Christ.))

((I am such a Math Genius: Joaquima is botn in 1672. It is the year 1684. 1684-1672=12. and i wrote 19 years. Man you are a new Albert Einstein. So i deleted this part, and i will add it after the next update))

((The year is actually 1689, so you were closer the first time. :p))

(( I never said you had to remember them, because they're all listed at the reform act xD. However as I mentioned it's only a bit of fluff so not that important. But I also doubt you'll have to know all of them. To be honest you would only need to know 4 of them, which are the ones we represent as generals in-game, but I know you already have enough on your head, so it doesn't matter. It's just a bit of fluff RP and nothing more. It's not going to influence anything in the AAR or in-game. But it matters greatly in pure RP, because a field marshal has all the generals under his command. Otherwise it makes no difference if they're called a general or marshal or whatever. ))

((We could also make it more official by adding it into the rules where leaders are mentioned so people would have to keep up with appointments. Could make the army more dynamic.))

((Time to bring the vote to an end.

Constitution: No

I'll get to the playthrough sometime later this day.))

Reactions:
1689-1694 – A War on Inequality

Princess Isabel’s European tour proved a short affair, for after getting stuck in France during a rebellion, she never ended up leaving. She’d grown quite fond of the young French emperor, eventually accepting his marriage proposal, despite the difference in age. They were married some time in 1686 and Isabel gave birth to a son two years later. ((I was originally going to have Isabel’s tour continue, but I was far too busy last week to write up more IC for her, so had to cut it short, and the birth of a French heir made me have to make the decision now rather than later.))

Despite this new union with France, tensions still grew over the colonies. The French had established a colony in Angra Pequena, an isolated region of West Africa. The Trans-Atlantic Trading Company surely wasn’t pleased with the interference.

Colonial matters in Africa weren’t all bad. Inhambane was able to last on its own now, allowing the Crown to shift resources elsewhere. While Emperor Joan III and his chancellors had been unwilling so far to resort to war on behalf of the TATC, the emperor was willing to support colonial ventures in the region. Colonist Sancho Villanova was instructed to set up a colony in the Grain Coast to strengthen Hispania’s presence in West Africa.

Bahmanis had proved at first to be the biggest impediment to Hispanian expansion into India, especially after they claimed part of Ceylon, but they were no longer the strongest Indian power. Malwa knocked them down a peg, isolating them further to the south.

Elsewhere in Asia, Kazan managed to push further east by taking land from Bukhara. This was most likely a desperate measure to expand before Lithuania finished rolling over their lands. It seemed likely they’d lose land in the west soon, so this had to be made up with land in the east.

With no clear direction provided by the steward, funds were half-heartedly committed to the continued expansion of shipyards and churches across the empire.

When the option was presented to raise tariffs on sugar coming out of Nueva Granada, it was dismissed by the emperor. Nueva Granada was growing increasingly discontent and further tariffs would not be wise.

In July, the transport fleet started its busy work of sailing the Hispanian armies to North Africa for a future war with Tunis. The African nation had no allies and only 21k men, so it would be an easy war, but everyone wanted it to be quick.

In Sweden, King Karl VIII Gustav Soop ascended to the Swedish throne after reaching the age of majority.

An ingenious engineer was devising better fortifications in Braganca. When presented with the possibility of moving to Valencia and serving at court, he turned down the offer. It was not a major loss, for Braganca was surely benefiting from his expertise.

The Church of Jesus Christ had finally settled into Europe, although some notable figures such as Prime Minister Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre had been caught actively resisting it. Certain locations, however, had been avoided. While Emperor Joan had been reluctant to force the Church upon the more stubborn nobles, he had also not made a decision about Malta and Rhodes. Both were officially sanctioned as the headquarters of the various Catholic knightly orders, who only participated in wars targeted against heathens. After some deliberation with members of the Church, the decision was made to push for the Church of Jesus Christ on both the islands. The knights would have to adapt, perhaps accepting that they would defend all Christians from heathens rather than just Catholics.

This push for the Church also coincided with a change in advisors. The advisor Sakhr Benzine had passed away, with his spot taken by the Theologian Ramon Loaisa, a man who hailed from the Indonesian colonies. He shared ideas for the Church that would make it more favourable for all people, even those resistant to accepting it over their single faith.

By the end of April of 1690, all armies were in place in North Africa. Tunis was ripe for the taking. Hispania was to go in alone in this war, for both Austria and Sweden considered it too far away to require their participation, while France was currently in debt and unwilling to pursue a war at this time. Their assistance wasn’t needed anyway. When the war declaration was sent, its tone differed from past ones. There was no mention of land disputes, religious divides, or any usual justification of war. Instead it merely stated that Hispania claimed Tunis’s land as a right of empire, that expansion in North Africa was to the benefit of the empire. Hispania was getting its first major taste of imperialism.

A Tunis trade fleet had the misfortune of being at sea outside of Cape Bon at the start of war. The hundred ships of Admiral Dietrich Vinzent Lübecker’s fleet swarmed them, with two ships sunk within minutes and the remaining two surrendering before they could be destroyed too. The captured ships were immediately sent to port to upgrade and add to the trade fleet operating out of Genoa.

As for the armies, all four swarmed over the border in short order. General Marti de Leon was tasked with taking the fort at Aures, while General Louis de Soneta went straight for Tunis’s capital. The remaining two armies followed behind, occupying land in the west before heading east and south. Soneta faced the first bout of opposition, and probably the only notable one. The entire Tunis army was guarding the capital, but the superiority of the Hispanian force was too much for them. In three days, the entire force was either killed or surrendered.

By July, the first provinces fell in the west, including the hiding spot for half the Tunis fleet. The main fleet, with the aid of Sanchonia and the Greeks, caught them off the Barbary Coast, easily eradicating the entire enemy fleet.

Even as men serving in the army grew older and could no longer serve on the field, they could still serve their country well through other means. The Hispanian army was getting into the practice of hiring veterans as drill sergeants and quartermasters, where their knowledge could make the army more efficient.

Matsolo, yet another African colony, was ready to operate on its own, allowing resources to be shifted elsewhere. This time the Crown funnelled resources into settling Salto for Nuevo Leon. The French presence was still considered a concern, especially with Nuevo Leon is three pieces. Plans were being made to join two of the three, while also blocking off expansion by the French to the north.

Attempts to reform an army and retake lost provinces didn’t go well for Tunis. The Exercit Athens dispatched the first of many attempts.

Manada reach a state of self-sufficiency, thanks to funding from the Mandromenos family. After that, colonist Sancho Villanova was detoured to Cameroon at the request of the TATC, specifically the Saint-Pierre family.

By February of 1691, Tunis’s capital was unable to hold out any longer, reducing one of the last bits of any serious resistance. Hispanian armies were sweeping across Tunis’s coastline and into the interior. A few resistance forces were dispatched along the way. It was just a matter of time now.

The remainder of the Tunis navy was forced from port, right into Lübecker’s waiting grasp. It took but two days to sink nearly the entire enemy navy, although a single transport was captured and subsequently added to the European transport fleet.

April saw the fall of Aures, the last Tunis fort. More straggler armies tried to rally, but fell before Hispania’s might.

The Holy Roman Emperor passed away in May, with Brandenburg losing its crown to Frankfurt, an unusual choice. Frankfurt was but a shadow of its former self, much like Brandenburg, but noticeably was Protestant. The imperial crown had been taken back by the Protestants, although they did serve as a majority in the HRE.

French Louisiana, after sitting on its rear end for decades and doing nothing much but slowly pushing into Mexico, finally attacked one of their neighbours, declaring war on Chickasaw.

A strange shift in opinion occurred in northern Italy after the annexation of Tuscany. The Tuscan people had at first been bitter, but over time they began to flourish within the empire. Emperor Joan’s decision to grant the Italians greater leniency before the annexation of Tuscany was now impacting the Tuscans as well. The strong Tuscan infrastructure and economy was well-suited for the larger Hispanian empire. Soon they had positioned themselves as the leading powerhouse of Hispania’s Italian territories.

The sudden rise of the Tuscans only served to antagonize Hispania’s Neapolitan and Sicilians subjects. They had been part of the empire for much longer, yet they had been increasingly ignored in favour of Iberia as the region began to stagnate. Only half-hearted measures had been taken to improve their condition and they were increasingly becoming to feel like they were not accepted within Hispania. Fortunately, the emperor heard their plight. Hispania was currently experiencing a period of prosperity where Crown resources were plenty available. Joan announced that he would dedicate portions of this to improving the development of Naples, followed by Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica. This was done through various methods. The army was increasingly becoming a major employer for those less well off and the emperor bolstered recruitment efforts in the region. Production was also increased with investments given to various industries. The focus was mostly on the poorer agricultural regions of east Naples. This process was expected to take a few years before results could be seen. ((I found it a bit unacceptable that Tuscan is an accepted culture, but Neapolitan and Sicilian are not. Apparently we only need both to control 10% of our development, so I’m putting excess diplo and military points into getting them to 10%.))

Despite things stirring up in Italy, it was Tunis that drew most Hispanians’ attention in the summer of 1891. The African nation had fallen and was at the mercy of Hispania. Chancellor Andrés de Alvaro had made it clear from the beginning that the goal was to take the province of Tunis, a valuable port in the Mediterranean. There was some talk of taking their entire northern coastline as well, but it was decided that administering such land would be too difficult with Italy drawing so much attention. Eventually it was decided that Tunis and the surrounding land would be taken to protect the valuable port. This would split Tunis in two, but would give Hispania control of plenty of coastline. ((The provinces between our Moroccan territory and Annaba apparently do not fall under the overseas classification, and thus combined with Berber traditions are extremely expensive to core. All our admin points had already been spent on coring Tuscany.))

The construction of cathedrals extended to North Africa, including the newly conquered provinces, with the hopes that Christianity could be brought to the region and remain strong despite the presence of Islam.

An influx of sugar was driving up the price as it poured in from the New World.

Theologian Ramon Loaisa was already making his mark on the world. After writing up several theses and debating religion with countless pious individuals, he pushed forward for reforms of the Church to make it more accommodating for the common man. The people loved him for it.

The failure of yet another constitution to draw the support of the court caused further dissent in the empire. People wanted greater representation, and not only if it was granted on the whims of a single individual.

Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre’s military expertise was paying off for the empire. The army and navy were in better shape than ever before, especially with the new military academy in Valencia. The emperor used this increase in the army’s popularity to fuel his plans for Naples, trying to drive forward recruitment efforts.

Lithuanian’s war with Kazan saw Delhi sent packing while paying war reparations. Kazan faced Lithuania’s wrath itself soon after, losing several provinces to their enemy, as well as some to Genoa. They were increasingly finding themselves forced east.

Morocco was not one to waste an opportunity. They declared war on Tunis, sweeping in on the vulnerable nation. Over in Germany, Munster moved to reclaim lost land from East Frisia.

The Church of Jesus Christ was starting to shift its focus abroad. Missionaries were being sent as far as Africa and India to convert the population to Christianity. The establishment of the new Church in these far-off lands caused some problems for the trading companies that found their authority temporarily undermined.

French Louisiana’s conquest of Chickasaw went splendidly. They managed to claim most of their land, opening the way east. Hopefully that would alleviate competition with Nova Hispania as their borders drew nearer.

Poland’s ambitions in the HRE were proving unquenchable. They now declared war on Luneburg, taking advantage of the splinter state form Brandenburg. At this rate, they’d be on the French border in a few decades.

The emperor’s attempts to improve the situation of the Neapolitan people was paying off, with many seeing the emperor as a fair and just ruler.

For a region called the Grain Coast, it certainly had very little grain and a lot of fish. ((Just found it ironic that the Grain Coast had fish as its trade good. :p))

The army always seemed to be the favourite of the administration, as the emperor okayed the funds needed for the improvement of barracks into training fields in Aragon and eventually farther abroad.

A small sailing exercise proved dangerous as Admiral Joao de Maia became seriously injured, forcing him to leave his position as admiral. ((The game killed off the admiral, and seeing as Raboude isn’t too active and it’s a non-active who I don’t know the age of, I just let him get removed.))

Nuremburg found itself the first victim in the Polish war, losing land to Bavaria. This also brought to attention that the war had expanded to include several prominent nations. Poland had called upon Bavaria and Austria for help, while Bohemia had come to Luneburg’s aid. It seemed like that Poland would win in the end though, especially since Bohemia had also chose to assist East Frisia against Munster, who in turn had Saxony and Hungary to back them up.

Britain’s attempts at colonial expansion had been subpar, with only war reparations secured from Creek.

Poland was not merciful on its enemies, taking two provinces from Luneburg and one from Bohemia. With France pushing in from the west and Poland from the east, it seemed likely that the HRE was to fail as an institution.

With the Crown supporting colonial efforts in Africa, the TATC was starting to flourish in the east.

With Hispania now expanding more into North Africa, the Mamluks were finding themselves increasingly blocked off. They had no choice by to expand east or south now. With that in mind, they declared war on Yemen, which also pitted them against their allies of Kaffa and Baluchistan.

September of 1693 saw the passing of Archduke Albrecht VII of Austria. His son Georg ascended to the throne, with his brother Albrecht as his heir.

Brabant was the first out of the war with Munster, showing signs that the latter would be victorious over East Frisia.

For decades Hispania had viewed its colonies as a source of gold and resources with little thought of the colonists themselves. Tariffs on Nueva Granada had reached 52%, something the locals found unacceptable. Murmurs of rebellion were spreading, although nothing definite was noted. Still, an eye would have to be kept on the colonies from now on.

By the end of 1693, it was quite clear that Emperor Joan’s policy towards Naples was paying off. The local economy was flourishing, production was booming, jobs were plentiful, and the Neapolitan people in general were starting to feel like integral subjects of Hispania. Now there was only to replicate the results with the Sicilian people.

JpsioAG.png

Presenting His Imperial Highness, Joan III de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, and Protector of the Greeks.

It seems that the heathens of North Africa are becoming weaker with each passing year. We overcame them without even breaking a sweat. Truly Hispania has reached a new level of greatness. Our right to empire cannot be denied. Perhaps it is time to consider expanding our colonial holdings. Africa is ripe for the taking, and we could even claim land with a simply show of strength and not even declare war. There was also talk of claiming Makassar earlier or even further holdings in India. These are all things to consider.

I am also pleased to see the Neapolitan people feel comfortable as subjects of Hispania once more. Italy, with Naples in particular, has been a vital part of the empire for generations, and the people of the region deserve recognition for their contribution. It is only fair that they share in the wealth of this empire. I can only hope that the Sicilian people can be uplifted to a level of prosperity on par with the Iberians and the neighbouring Neapolitans. I do wish to know what others think of these plans and perhaps if we should pursue a more concrete policy in the future. Such a method could be utilized for many different purposes going into the future. ((I’ve been considering either creating a church aspect or some event to alter accepted culture threshold or cost for changing culture.))

I have also taken note of recent disturbances regarding the proposals for constitutions. It seems that the people wish more of a say in how this empire is governed. I admit, I am uncertain how such a system would work for such a large empire as ours. I encourage members of court to continue to discuss the subject. Maybe it is time to contemplate a constitutional system for inclusive of the various segments of Hispanian society. Either that, or we should implement smaller reforms first.

((Huzzah for Naples! No mere game mechanics will keep them from being accepted under my watch. Also, if you pay particular attention to the accepted culture map I posted, you might notice that Byzantium has systematically been culling the minorities in the Balkans. Greek supremacy! :D

Anyway, as for our usual business, ministers have until Monday at 12PM PST to present their plans, and I really do need some new plans. All I had to work with was an old chancellor plan that had one war we never got to, so something new would be nice. I do take over and make up own plans if ones haven’t been posted in two turns though. Players can also propose laws and reforms in that time period. The same goes for constitutions, although keep in mind any old ones need to be altered. Perhaps consider making them more favourable for all members of court to get them passed. :)

Pensioners:
@zenphoenix
@Robban204))

Chancellors plan:

Whenever possible, declare war on Bahmanis and take as much land as possible to strenghten our hold in India.
Whenever possible, threaten Makassar for war and if refused, sieze it by force.

Notes of Maximilien de Montségur
The year is... whatever. What else are years than something used to determine the passing of time, a notion that I have come to ignore? Where is the need for it if you are alone, far from the civilized world, with nothing but the things you carry as companions? Some natives from time to time, but I am far from being able to speak with them. Some are friendly, others have fallen to my trusted rapier. I have long run out of bullets and powder for my pistol, and the horse from Nova Hispania is long dead as well. Just a single explorer, searching a wild continent... It has been fairly long since I last found a hint concerning my great-great-great-uncle's journey. Maybe I should have paid more attention on the ships as the captains were navigating. Wasn't that star indicating south? They did say that it gets colder after a while, and it is fairly cold right now. I've followed the snow-capped mountains as well. Anyway, time to rest.

The next day, Maximilien woke up to see a scene reminding him of the starting point of his search. Rusty helmets. Muskets. This time without crosses though. Seemingly Aragonese. Upon closer inspection, not all of them were whole, and one was Castillian. Strange. In one of the helmets, an arrowhead was stuck - Montségur continued in the opposite direction. After wandering around for a while, he stood at the gates of what seemed to be a flourishing city. 'Found the wrong expedition - at least they were close.' Just after saying this, an arrow buried itself at Maximilien's feet, a tall blonde guard shouting something. Sounded a little bit familiar, so he responded in Swedish, saying he was friend, not foe. The guard was obviously surprised. Both understanding each other only partly, they agreed on letting Maximilien in. He had found Saguenay, gained access to it and stayed there a while.

Reactions:
Dietrich Vinzent Lübecker has passed away in his sleep. He leaves nearly everything to his grandson, Konrad.

((New Character data will come in a day or so.))

Enrique, searching the hotel where Michaelos Tsirigatos, a greek merchant, lived, walked through the streets. And so Enrique, totaly disoriented, saw a big mass of people. They all went behind a circle of guards, a human shield for... The beatifullst woman Enrique ever saw. She was sorrounded by a number of servants, and walked like a queen. Enrique asked a craftsman who this woman was and the craftsman looked at him as Enrique would be stupid
"You don't know her?"
"No, i never saw her before."
"She is the grand-granddaughter of Francesc I and a Trastamara."
"How they call her?"
"Joaquima, and don't make hopes, the people say that she is descerning."

Enrique watched a last time sad on her, and he imagined that she looked back. But just a Imagination, he said. He sadly turned back and walked back to his fathers palace, in love with a girl that not noticed him.

Sancho wrote an letter to Sancho Panza Villanova.
Dear Sancho Panza Villanova,
I have heared that your son Fausto is still unmarried and i wanted to offer you betrothal between my Cousin Isabelle de Chalon-Nassau and your son. She is 25 and a beautiful woman who knows her duty. Just think about it and answer my on your will

Grandmaster of Hispania
Count in Provence
Prince of Aux-en-Provence
Baron of Gréoux-les-bains

Sancho was amazed when he received the letter from the count of Provence. A marriage offer from a noble! He knew that his son being in the military helped, but a man descended from a farming family marrying a noblewomen was unheard of. He wrote a letter accepting the offer as soon as he could and wrote another letter to his son afterwards.
Dear Sancho de Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange,

I thank you graciously for the marriage offer and accept. I am sure my son will be ecstatic at hearing the offer.

Sancho Panza Villanova
Royal Colonist of Hispania

"Lieutenant!"
"Yes? What do you want sergeant?"
"A letter from your father arrived just now," the sergeant say with urgency.
"Well, what does it say? Hurry up or I'll have you join your men on the range shooting." Fausto said with mild boredom taking a sip of coffee.
The sergeant opened the letter and said, "you are to be married to a relative to the Count of Provence!"
Fausto spit out a mouthful of coffee, "What?!? A noblewoman! How did my father manage that?"
"He says that he had received a letter offering a marriage between you and Isabelle de Chalon-Nassau."

((@DragonOfAtlantis i know that it almost never happens but i thought it would work, because "your" son could be a high officer in future)) Sancho almost directly after the letter from Sancho Panza Villanova , worte an other one to Isabelle to inform her that she will be the wife of a, officer in Hispanian Army. Than he answered Sancho Panza Villanova
Dear friend
we have to speak about the marriage matters. I want the ceremony to happen as fast as it 's possible. Also i want to offer your sons ((Do you have more than one?)) to work as an assistant in the Ministry of Trade. I hope this marriage will have many childs and lot of Grandsons and granddaughters for you and me

Grandmaster of Hispania
Count of Provence
Prince of Aux-en-Provence
Baron of Gréoux-les-banis

Grandmasters Plan:
All Shipbuilders at the Hispanian Coast are instructed to build 46 Heavy Frigates and they will get crewed by 7000 sailors. The Tradefleets have to split up into tree main parts: the European Tradefleet, the African Tradefleet and the Indian Tradefleet.
All 150 Heavy Frigates will be split up as the following: 80 for the European Fleet, 30-40 for the African Fleet and the Rest for India. The African Fleet will concentrate on the Gulf o Aden and the Ivory coast ((Half Aden,Half Ivory Coast)) The Indian Fleet is just for the Trademarkets near Ceylon and protecting the Tradeships to Aden.
The European Fleets are mostly for Genoa and Venice, some for Alexandrian Markets. If there are enough Trade ships in each, Genoa and Venice some can be added to the African Fleet. Also in the following 5 years we should increase our Mercantilism. ((If you get an event wich gives you the choice between Mercantalism and something else, take Mercantalism)) Some Shipyards should be build.

Last edited:
Marshal de Saint-Pierre has passed away at age of 90. He was shot during a hunt and during transportation to the nearest medicus he was stung by a bee, causing an allergic reaction. However the official given reason was the wound, and exsanguination.

(( And thet's the end of Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre.))

Name: Alexis Cyril de Saint-Pierre
Date of birth: 1654
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholicism
Bio: An ambitious and proud owner of the Tran-Atlantic Trading Company, which he inherited after his father, he's looking to make his company even more relevant and bring it out it's stagnant state. Despite his pride, he is open minded, and usually friendly, unless someone decides to go against him or his plans.

(( Uh... I'm terribly sorry to bring this to you @BelisariustheGreat but ITC already exists and is run by the Crown. And you can't just give yourself a monopoly. Those are given by the Crown and/or by the Grandmaster. However the Grandmaster can only do that after the council approves of his decision. I would be more than happy to accept you into the TATC, but I just can't. Once again I'm sorry. Also for future: Please avoid making double posts. Generally it's something that only the GM should do. It's not that it's not allowed, but it should be avoided if possible. ))

Reactions: