[Mod] More AI Personalities - Tons of various new personalities for AI Empires!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
jaaqalH.jpg

Current Version: 3.12 (Released 2/28/24, Compatible with 3.11)
CLICK HERE FOR STEAM WORKSHOP LINK

DISCORD | WEBSITE
(Direct Download also at the bottom of this Post, install to "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/Mod")

MAP introduces new AI personalities to your game, adding more diversity to your playthroughs. There are a wide range of new personalities, ranging from warmongers to peace-lovers. Some have real-world/historical inspirations, others are based on fictional ones, yet others are completely made up. Though some of these personalities will be quite similar to existing ones, I’ve tried my best to make each unique in terms of behavior. Each personality will also come with unique custom diplomacy text that can appear in-game.

This mod should be compatible with most other mods except those that add in new backgrounds. The only vanilla files it changes are “common/opinion_modifiers/01_personality_opinions.txt” and “gfx/portraits/asset_selectors/room_textures.txt”. However, please note that any mods that add or remove ethics, traits, and civics will likely cause an imbalance in the chances various personalities will spawn as the chances various personalities were spawned were coded with vanilla in mind.

Due to the nature of this mod, it is being continuously tweaked in regards to how likely AI personalities are to appear, their behavior, and so on. I will continue to tweak existing personalities, and add new ones, as I see fit.

Full translations into languages other than English are not available, but the mod will still work in other languages - the text will just display as English. Partial translations into Russian and French are available at the moment. Several users are currently working on Russian, German, Spanish, and French translations - I am more than happy if you’re willing to help translate the other languages, even a little bit is better than nothing!

Screenshots

Note: Many of the names you see below come from my other mod, Cybrxkhan's Assortment of Namelists, that adds in new names for players and the AI.

Psychotic Hordes Can't be Reasoned With

sK3fRtf.jpg

Bringers of Paradise (inspired by the Mythic Dawn in Oblivion)

mu5bqjB.jpg

(in)Efficient Bureaucrats

PSwu7oJ.jpg

Depraved Breeders

usiG1RG.jpg

Insecure Imitators (inspired by Imperial Japan during the early years of its modernization)

Kr0yZYP.jpg

Experts in Xenocide are like Psychotic Hordes, except buzzword-loving white-collar corporate cogs

Ad3fuGF.jpg

Cosmopolitan Imperials (inspired by the Imperials from Elder Scrolls)

8QoUDSe.jpg

Cultivated Scholar-Gentry (inspired by the traditional ideals of the gentleman in the Sinosphere)

CzA87GC.jpg

Insidious Opportunists

YNHAqVx.jpg

More Psychotic Hordes

rtFUdkp.jpg

List of New Personalities

Currently, there are 56 new AI personalities which are listed below. More will be coming! For an explanation of every personality, their inspirations, and intended behavior, I have typed up a google doc which you can access here.

• Adventure Seekers
  • Aspiring Precursors
  • Benign Spirits
  • Bloodthirsty Hordes
  • Bringers of Paradise
  • Carefree Hippies
  • Civilized Nomads
  • Cosmopolitan Imperials
  • Conoisseurs of Food
  • Cultured Scholar-Gentry
  • Defenders of the Faith
  • Depraved Breeders
  • Dwellers in the Ephemeral
  • Efficient Bureaucrats
  • Elitist Snobs
  • Enforcers of Law
  • Enterprising Corsairs
  • Experts in Xenocide
  • Flowers of War
  • Generous Philanthropists
  • Guerilla Fighters
  • Haughty Supremacists
  • Hedonistic Visionaries
  • Hopless Pessimists
  • Insecure Imitators
  • Insidious Opportunists
  • Inspired Dreamers
  • Lazy Managers
  • Melodious Composers
  • Middle Kingdom
  • Naive Appeasers
  • Nonaligned Preservationists
  • Outcast Pariah
  • Patronizing Colonizers
  • Plunderers of Knowledge
  • Princes of Madness
  • Proud Nationalists
  • Quiet Cultists
  • Reclusive Hermits
  • Sadistic Loremasters
  • Savage Raiders
  • Slave Soldiers
  • Slave Traders
  • Splendid Isolationists
  • Storytelling Aficionados
  • Studious Builders
  • Sublime Porte
  • Surgeons of Beauty
  • Totalitarian Patriots
  • Total Nutcases
  • Trapped in a Machine
  • Unfathomable Artificers
  • Valiant Hearts
  • Warrior Mystics
  • Xenial Merrymakers
  • Zestful Orators

Attachments

• MAP 3.12.zip
    869,5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
CREDITS

• @arzumata for Russian translation
  • @Galle for valuable input and running tests
  • @Ezumiyr for French translation
  • Everyone who has provided bug reports, feedback, and general support - thank you all!

Last edited:
Reserved another justin case

The head of the Blorg added me to Spacebook, so I've got that going for me.

I didn't go through the files, but in one of your screenshots "bloodlust" is mispelled as "bloodlist".

More variation is always a good thing, so thumbs up.

Reactions:
I just saw this on Reddit and immediately subscribed. It's one of the things I'd been meaning to do myself, and I'm glad to see that I won't have to!

One area where the current personality model is really broken is the Decadent trait - any species with this trait becomes either a Decadent Hierarchy or Slaving Despots, even if they're Fanatical Individualist Xenophiles. It'd be nice to have a "Repentant Slaver" personality.

Reactions:
The head of the Blorg added me to Spacebook, so I've got that going for me.

I didn't go through the files, but in one of your screenshots "bloodlust" is mispelled as "bloodlist".

More variation is always a good thing, so thumbs up.

Thanks for noticing that! I'll have that fixed. Guess I got too excited typing in caps, haha.

I just saw this on Reddit and immediately subscribed. It's one of the things I'd been meaning to do myself, and I'm glad to see that I won't have to!

One area where the current personality model is really broken is the Decadent trait - any species with this trait becomes either a Decadent Hierarchy or Slaving Despots, even if they're Fanatical Individualist Xenophiles. It'd be nice to have a "Repentant Slaver" personality.

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a good one. I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking of maybe having a personality vaguely inspired by the Mamluks or something of that sort.

Cool mod. Subscribed!

Thanks!

Mamluks sound like a fantastic addition.

Some other possible personality ideas:

• Insidious Manipulators: A sort of "evil counterpart" to Federation Builders - imperialists motivated purely by self-interest, but who will attempt to build an alliance for the sake of advancing their own goals.
  • Chivalrous Peacekeepers: An honorable, military-oriented personality that tries to protect other civilizations from foreign imperialism by guaranteeing independence and forming protectorates.
  • Ruthless Mercenaries: A similar personality to Chivalrous Peacekeepers, but with a more self-interested edge. Willing to Guarantee Independence in exchange for credits, for example.
  • Machine Cultists: Like Evangelizing Zealots or Democratic Crusaders, but for Materialism.

I do have one complaint - Efficient Bureaucrats seem to spawn in very large numbers. I just genned a 39 nation galaxy, and fourteen of them were Efficient Bureaucrats. Any chance they could be toned down just a bit?

The first post now includes a link to a google doc explaining all of the personalities, their inspirations and intended style of behavior. Feel free to read it if you want to know more about the personalities you might encounter in-game!

Mamluks sound like a fantastic addition.

Some other possible personality ideas:

• Insidious Manipulators: A sort of "evil counterpart" to Federation Builders - imperialists motivated purely by self-interest, but who will attempt to build an alliance for the sake of advancing their own goals.
  • Chivalrous Peacekeepers: An honorable, military-oriented personality that tries to protect other civilizations from foreign imperialism by guaranteeing independence and forming protectorates.
  • Ruthless Mercenaries: A similar personality to Chivalrous Peacekeepers, but with a more self-interested edge. Willing to Guarantee Independence in exchange for credits, for example.
  • Machine Cultists: Like Evangelizing Zealots or Democratic Crusaders, but for Materialism.

Thanks for the ideas, I do like them! Some of the more specific behaviors like guaranteeing independence in exchange for credits can't be directly coded per se (maybe via events, but that's outside the scope of this mod), but hopefully I can approximate them with what tools I have and via the diplomacy text flavor (for example the first one can be coded with a high acceptance rate for alliances/federations but also a high aggression rate).

I do have one complaint - Efficient Bureaucrats seem to spawn in very large numbers. I just genned a 39 nation galaxy, and fourteen of them were Efficient Bureaucrats. Any chance they could be toned down just a bit?

Ok thanks for the heads up, I did run some test games before release to see the likelihood of various personalities appearing and Efficient Bureaucrats did seem to be common, but I wanted to have more test games to confirm whether it was true. Looking over the code again the prerequisites for them do seem rather... easy, so I'll probably just reduce the chances of them appearing.

I think I have an idea: Isolationist Conquerors (for xenophobic + militarism + collectivism) [this is certainly not a good name for them ^^]
"isolationist Conquerors do not ever colonise planets. Instead, they take the established colonies of other empires away and will likely seek to spread their own species on those new planets. They suppress and supersede the populations of conquered planets to make life more comfortable there for their own species."

Basically, people that use conquest as a replacement for all kinds of colonisation. They would build frontier outposts and stations just like normal empires, but wouldn't even research New Worlds Protocol (is that moddable too?).
Because they want to send their own people to those worlds, they will likely only conquer planets with their own habitability type. Existing populations will be enslaved ( = suppressing, superseding, comfortable life) or purged (if there is no space for their own people). They'll fill up at least 50% of their planets with people of their own species.
This idea is based on a playthrough where I ended up conquering more than colonising other worlds ^^ It wasn't exactly with this ethos combination, but I thought that this one might be better to logically explain why they'd do this.

Reactions:
I already use your name lists , thank you also for this

thumbs up

You're welcome!

Do you think you could add a list of ethos and traits that spawn each personality?

That sounds like a good idea. I'll add the information to the google doc link soon as I can.

I think I have an idea: Isolationist Conquerors (for xenophobic + militarism + collectivism) [this is certainly not a good name for them ^^]
"isolationist Conquerors do not ever colonise planets. Instead, they take the established colonies of other empires away and will likely seek to spread their own species on those new planets. They suppress and supersede the populations of conquered planets to make life more comfortable there for their own species."

Basically, people that use conquest as a replacement for all kinds of colonisation. They would build frontier outposts and stations just like normal empires, but wouldn't even research New Worlds Protocol (is that moddable too?).
Because they want to send their own people to those worlds, they will likely only conquer planets with their own habitability type. Existing populations will be enslaved ( = suppressing, superseding, comfortable life) or purged (if there is no space for their own people). They'll fill up at least 50% of their planets with people of their own species.
This idea is based on a playthrough where I ended up conquering more than colonising other worlds ^^ It wasn't exactly with this ethos combination, but I thought that this one might be better to logically explain why they'd do this.

That's an interesting idea, and I do want to add in more AI personalities with weirder playstyles, so I'll have it on my to-do list (don't worry about the name, I'll figure something out :p). Unfortunately some of that behavior, while technically moddable, is outside of my intended scope for this mod as it requires modifying code other than the AI personality code. For instance if I wanted to have them not research New Worlds Protocol I would have to modify the technology code, and my main concern here is having maximum compatibility with vanilla and other mods. The actual code related solely for AI personality is more limited than one would expect sadly (though I doubt most of the people here would notice unless if they actually went into the code itself). I can reduce the amount of resources the AI puts into its colonies, though, so I think I'll focus on that for a personality like this - they'll still colonize but I'll have them focus more on building a war engine and being aggressive.

Reactions:
The vanilla personalities do have an effect on likeliness to accept certain trade deals, although alas, I think that's mostly handled in the trade deal code rather than the AI personality code.

I've been brainstorming a few more ideas. Some of these may involve touching things outside your intended scope, though, sorry:

• Dysfunctional Federation: A civilization that is riven with deep internal conflicts and several major power blocs. Mechanically, this is represented by them being unpredictable and chaotic. Possibly they'll agree to pretty much anything, or perhaps they should have event-driven "mood swings" as different groups come to power.
  • Disingenuous Extortionists: "What a very nice planet you've got here. Be a shame if something were to happen to it, eh? But don't worry, we can take care of that. We can guarantee you that not a single colony will be destroyed for just this low, low,price!"
  • Scholarly Isolationists: Introverted nerds on a grand scale. These guys aren't really interested in expansion and just want to be left alone so that they can science in peace. With time, they wind up becoming an extremely "tall" empire, with only a few highly-developed planets.
  • Naive Appeasers: Federation Builders, but with less teeth. These people will go to pretty much any length to avoid conflict, to the point of folding like a wet paper bag if you make basically any demands of them at all. (May overlap with the existing Hippie personality, though?)
  • Universalist Missionaries: A spiritualist personality that focuses heavily on spreading the Good News, especially to primitive and pre-sentient populations. Does a lot of uplifting, enlightening, vassalizing, and alliance-building.
  • Reclusive Puppetmasters: A Decadent personality with similar traits to the Universalist Missionaries. Rather than doing their own dirty-work, they create a coalition of puppet races to do it for them, using uplifting, enlightenment, and vassalization.
Also, some suggestions for new Fallen Empire personalities, unless that's also outside the scope:
  • Freedom Fighters: Fanatic Individualists. Pissed off by slavery.
  • Guardians of the Cosmic Order: Fanatic Collectivists. Pissed off by enlightening or uplifting.
  • Galactic Peacekeepers: Fanatic Pacifists. Pissed off by terror bombing.
Not yet sure on a name or berserk button for Fanatic Militarists.

Reactions:
Fanatic Militarist FEs could be locked in eternal civil war, with ships constantly attacking and destroying each other, but the two sides are so perfectly balanced a winner is unlikely to ever emerge. No berserk button, but if one side wins it can spawn a crisis as the winner seeks to conquer the whole galaxy. :eek:

These guys would have to be way more powerful than your usual FE, naturally.

Reactions:
As a heads up, I'll probably release version 1.0.1 in the next couple of days. It'll be relatively smaller than some other updates I have planned. Here's the changelog so far:
  • Added new personality: Slave Traders
  • Added DOW diplotext for Civilized Nomads
  • Made Carefree Hippies even more unwilling to go to war
  • Reduced the chances of Efficient Bureaucrats, Studious Builders, and Patronizing Colonizers spawning
  • Fixed some typos
(Also, and this is mainly for @Galle since you suggested it, I'll have some more personalities based on the decadent trait or slavery in general down the line to give more variety to that, besides the aforementioned Mamluks I'm thinking something like the Barbary Pirates, as well as the Antebellum South.)

[ideas n' stuff]

Yeah unfortunately some of those would require modding more files than I'm willing. Though some I think should be doable. The Universalist Missionaries would probably be similar to an "Open-Minded Worshippers" personality I was considering but scrapped (mainly because flavor-wise it was too similar to Spiritual Seekers, but gameplay-wise they were unique enough), and Reclusive Puppetmasterse sounds good (though I'd probably use a different name). I have considered something like Naive Appeasers and I might actually just use that name anyways as a slight nod to Crusader Kings. Scholarly Isolationists/Introverted Nerds is my favorite one though, haha.

FE personalities I've decided to ignore for now, since FE work differently than other empires I want to spend more time looking into how they work in the code to see if it's something I might be interested in.

Fanatic Militarist FEs could be locked in eternal civil war, with ships constantly attacking and destroying each other, but the two sides are so perfectly balanced a winner is unlikely to ever emerge. No berserk button, but if one side wins it can spawn a crisis as the winner seeks to conquer the whole galaxy. :eek:

These guys would have to be way more powerful than your usual FE, naturally.

I think that sort of stuff would be outside the scope of this mod, would require coding in a bunch of events and possibly modifying a bunch of vanilla code too, sadly.

Oh, by the way, it looks like there's a political argument brewing in the Steam comments, you might want to nip that in the bud.

Yup, noticed that as I just got home. Like you I've got my fair share of modding experience but I've rarely had to deal with political arguments luckily! D:

Last edited:
Reactions:
VERSION 1.0.1 is up, download on steam here!

This is just a small update, the main features are some tweaks/fixes as well as one new personality, Slave Traders (to add some more variety to your decadent AI). I'll have a slightly beefier update coming in the near future with more personalities, so stay tuned for more. I'll also be updating the google doc with the descriptions to include information on the prerequisites for each personality as soon as I can.

As always, a manual download is provided in the first post.

Changelog:

• Added new personality: Slave Traders
  • Added DOW diplotext for Civilized Nomads
  • Made Carefree Hippies even more unwilling to go to war
  • Reduced the chances of Efficient Bureaucrats, Studious Builders, and Patronizing Colonizers spawning
  • Fixed some personalities being more unwilling to have alliances than federations, and vice versa (I was not thinking when I did some of those)
  • Fixed some typos

And a screenshot of the new personality, the Slave Traders.

QZQp8Ro.jpg