Hearts of Iron IV - Development Diary 54 - AI

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does AI handles Event responces? For.Eg. Germanys annexation demands. Does AI think of strength ratio or and other factors effecting Its decision?

German Naval AI

In previous incarnations of HOI, the German Navy has had a tendency to commit suicide at the outset of the war leaving the player secure in the knowledge that Sealion won't happen and free to move naval forces to the med. Will this be addressed?

Pacific Island Hopping

This too has been an issue with the AI in other versions of HOI. Is the AI in HOI4 able to manage this?

Reactions:
1. I think at launch, a method might be to wait for our allies to draw up an invasion plan, and then put together a complementary one. It's a bit passive, but it's still better than HoI1-3 at least.

2. Hopefully down the track we might get the option to ask the AI to draw up a plan somewhere, and maybe a 'wait until we tell you to go' button. That'd probably do the job, more or less (although the devs are likely to be able to think of a more elegant solution :)).

1. Yeah too passive for my liking; but it's something.

2. That doesn't sound OP. I wonder whether modders will be able to crack that.

I have 3 HARD achievement ideas:
1.''The Master of the Eastern-Islands'' As Malta,controll Japan,Taiwan and the Phillipines
2.''Austria or Australia?''Controll Australia as Austria(or Austria as Australia)
and now... the hardest achievement:
3.''We just looked too similar'':Controll Austria as Tannu Tuva(they really look similiar)

I should say I was expecting more:
I was expecting that the AI would be open for modding, paramteres as well as script.
I was also expecting it would be possible to affect AI's at corp or army level giving them the possibility to manage their tactics(For instance, infanterie or combined arms warfare...) And shape up their report.
This could have makes lifes interesting just to know which kind of AI has been chosen.

Reactions:
Steelvolt, could you please explain whether or not you have experimented with the A.I grouping it's mobile units together? This would seem like a good way to make the A.I a lot more potent and seem a lot less incompetent. A concentrated ball of mobile inf and tanks is a good way to inflict a lot of pain on the enemy.

If such a thing isn't possible can you explain why for my own sanity? Thanks!

Thoughts about AI after today WWW. It is not looking good...

Germany is throwing its army at Maginot Line instead of declaring war against Belgium/Neatherlands. It clearly can't handle unhistorical political events.

And a battle plan AI being the same for a player and for the AI players is, in my opinion, a catastrophic of an idea. Player should have his battle AI gimped in the way it is now to have to plan better battle plans if he wants to go for encirclements etc. but limiting AI players to the same AI with make the warfare part of the game trivial to the point that can't be mitigated by penalties imposed on the player in higher difficulties.

And linking both kinds of AI together will make it impossible for players to mod enemy AI into usability.

Reactions:
Thoughts about AI after today WWW. It is not looking good...

Germany is throwing its army at Maginot Line instead of declaring war against Belgium/Neatherlands. It clearly can't handle unhistorical political events.

And a battle plan AI being the same for a player and for the AI players is, in my opinion, a catastrophic of an idea. Player should have his battle AI gimped in the way it is now to have to plan better battle plans if he wants to go for encirclements etc. but limiting AI players to the same AI with make the warfare part of the game trivial to the point that can't be mitigated by penalties imposed on the player in higher difficulties.

And linking both kinds of AI together will make it impossible for players to mod enemy AI into usability.

The AI (as Germany) has declared war against the Netherlands and has started a focus to give war goals against Belgium and Luxemburg. Also when the player forgot about Spain to attack Italy the AI did a good job of basically winning the war in Spain. Additionally the UK landed troops to take advantage of the Spanish situation securing its control of Gibraltar.

We have no idea what it is doing on its front with the USSR, but I would assume it has a large number of troops there to watch its back.

Reactions:
@SteelVolt

I'd like to request that you ensure that Axis minors or indeed any minor with valuable resources do not go closed economy like Iran in Daniel's Germany WWW. If minors choose to go close economy while holding valuable stockpiles of oil like ROM/PER it'll pretty much break any chance of trading other than invading and conquering/annexing for resources.

As a side note, I don't see any reason for the economy to go closed within the Axis faction because strangling trade is going to cripple the majors. A case might be made for closing the Allied economies to deny trade with the Axis.

@SteelVolt

I'd like to request that you ensure that Axis minors or indeed any minor with valuable resources do not go closed economy like Iran in Daniel's Germany WWW. If minors choose to go close economy while holding valuable stockpiles of oil like ROM/PER it'll pretty much break any chance of trading other than invading and conquering/annexing for resources.

As a side note, I don't see any reason for the economy to go closed within the Axis faction because strangling trade is going to cripple the majors. A case might be made for closing the Allied economies to deny trade with the Axis.

Good feedback. I will try to remember to have a chat with our designers about this.

Reactions:
Good feedback. I will try to remember to have a chat with our designers about this.

Incidentally it would be great if you could ask them as well if they've thought through the reasoning behind zero trading allowed even between allies when the economy is completely closed.

I posted two threads with potential changes, but the TL;DR is simply to allow controlled trading between allies/faction members even when running closed economy.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/resource-trading.938584/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/lend-leasing-resources.938297/

Reactions:
Does the AI use randomness when evaluating which choice to take? Or is it only determined by the 200+ variables and scripted weights? If I had saved 1 hour before a important decision, would the AI always pick the same choice if all other variables (nation foci, army strength, division positions, techs, etc, etc) are the same?