Tencent Buys 5% of Paradox Interactive - Ask Me Anything

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tencent is based in China, a country which I believe several of Pardox' titles are not allowed to be sold, since they frequently portray China as not one united country.

If any future title should displease Tencent(or any other investor for that matter) for its content, what power do they have to change its contents?

We will not change the content to please the market

Reactions:
What is the money raised by this recent IPO going to be invested into? Expanding PI itself or purchasing alternate IP's or...? Basically what can we expect to see come from all this? Thanks so much for doing this AMA <3

As a Chinese I shall say Tencent is really a controversial company
It's true that it is huge and have a lot of experience in game developing and publishing
But please be aware that it's also a monopolized monster on Internet business
They will do everything for chasing profit when running their own online-games , some of the tricks might be beyond your imagination
I'm not too worried about the potential censorship since it seems that the deal is made by the Paradox fans inside Tencent, but the mobility of CS tech/market staffs is fast, I really don't know what will happen after a few years.
In one word, it's okay to get the investment but don't get too influenced, I hope.

One more thing: now all the new Paradox titles should support utf-8, or even Chinese translation? right? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Link to the news:
http://news.cision.com/paradox-inte...encent-as-fan-and-long-term-investor,c2018185

In summary: this is a part of the already planned IPO. Principal owners remain principal owners, everything is business as usual. Hopefully they can help us establish Grand Strategy Gaming in China, and maybe get a Kaiser Wilhelm skin for Jarvan IV.

Any other questions?
Will that lead to a business redirection for Asia? Or the global portfolio? Do you plan to establish a new development branch for Asia, maybe in Asia, like e.g. customizing your existing games for these markets?

One more thing: now all the new Paradox titles should support utf-8, or even Chinese translation? right? ;)

Will this happen? If yes that'd be really great, it doesn't have to be official Chinese version (but it'd be superb if this is coming true), just utf-8 support would be great
And yeah, maybe Chinese subforum?

Have you guys considered about opening a Weibo account? It's just like tweet, post some jokes from time to time, allow Chinese fans to be able to follow the dev diary in an easier way, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions:
As a Chinese PDS fan,actually I signed up to this forum today as soon as I saw the news.
I guess the business will not change the content in game,right?And it's a chance when Paradox games can open the potentional market in China,while more and more Chinese players are attaching importance to intellectual property right and enjoying Paradox games.As a staff in PDS,I guess you should have already seen the trend.

About the game policy in China,I can show these points:
1.We can use steam in China.it's not banned,which means we can buy and play any game freely.So far,gov's policy has not reached steam yet.That's why there are more and more Chinese Paradox players on steam like me.
2.Many people talk about the ban of HOI in China.It's a news in 2005.The policy and environment changes rapidly so as the market changes in China.In that year,game market was a barren land and public voice considered games as 'electronic heroin'.Game stations were banned that time.Now the game market is more open since xbox one and PS4 were imported to our land in 2014.So we cannot judge what will happen next.It's a chance and challenge to your studio.

I've not been a very long time fan of PDS,but I will support you and welcome you with all my effort.So will all players in China I guess.

And as for Tencent,I want to say something unseriously : The cooperation between PDS and Tencent will possibly bring Chinese localization to China.But I don't care because I've been playing those games in English...And don't learn how Tencent is making profit! DLCs are enough for my pocket,I will never want to see the Tencent way in PDS PLZ! I must tell you that Tencent doesn't have a very good reputation among Chinese players.Well I guess situation will not be that terrible,right?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hello, there! In what ways might this affect promotional DLC for games developed and published by Paradox? Examples to what I'm referring to include preorder bonuses, content offered through marketing campaigns, and cross-purchase content. My knowledge of the ways in which Tencent has handled that is currently limited to what I've seen and read on various online outlets that have displayed and reported on League of Legends character skins as well as a small amount of online discussion about them that I've read on unrelated forums. I'm not familiar with the details of the distribution of those skins. A more specific question would be "Might we see more content in Paradox games similar to the Magicka theme park that was added to Cities: Skylines?" Thank you!

Fredrik, you said you don't consume much and with 25 MUSD from the stock listing in the bank do you think you will invest that back in Paradox or projects outside of Paradox?

What is the money raised by this recent IPO going to be invested into? Expanding PI itself or purchasing alternate IP's or...? Basically what can we expect to see come from all this? Thanks so much for doing this AMA <3

We are not raising any money at this point, it is current owners selling shares; we are well funded as a company already and have a lot of different plans for the future. We will keep you posted.

Reactions:
As a Chinese PDS fan,actually I signed up to this forum today as soon as I saw the news.
I guess the business will not change the content in game,right?And it's a chance when Paradox games can open the potentional market in China,while more and more Chinese players are attaching importance to intellectual property right and enjoying Paradox games.As a staff in PDS,I guess you should have already seen the trend.

About the game policy in China,I can show these points:
1.We can use steam in China.it's not banned,which means we can buy and play any game freely.So far,gov's policy has not reached steam yet.That's whay there are more and more Chinese Paradox players on steam like me.
2.Many people talk about the ban of HOI in China.It's a news in 2005.The policy and environment changes rapidly so as the market in China.In that year,games market was a barren land and public voice considered games as 'electronic heroin'.Game stations were banned that time.Now the game marked is more open since xbox one and PS4 were imported to our land in 2014.So we cannot judge what will happen next.It's a chance and challenge to your studio.

I've not been a very long time fan of PDS,but I will support you and welcome you with all my effort.So will all players in China I guess.

And as for Tencent,I want to say something unseriously : The cooperation between PDS and Tencent will possibly bring Chinese localization to China.But I don't care because I've been playing those games in English...And don't learn how Tencent is making profit! DLCs are enough for my pocket,I will never want to see the Tencent way in PDS PLZ! I must tell you that Tencent doesn't have a very good reputation among Chinese players.Well I guess situation will not be that terrible,right?

We aim to do the best of the situation, we see this as a great opportunity.

Reactions:
Hello, there! In what ways might this affect promotional DLC for games developed and published by Paradox? Examples to what I'm referring to include preorder bonuses, content offered through marketing campaigns, and cross-purchase content. My knowledge of the ways in which Tencent has handled that is currently limited to what I've seen and read on various online outlets that have displayed and reported on League of Legends character skins as well as a small amount of online discussion about them that I've read on unrelated forums. I'm not familiar with the details of the distribution of those skins. A more specific question would be "Might we see more content in Paradox games similar to the Magicka theme park that was added to Cities: Skylines?" Thank you!

In summary, this does not change any of the operations in Paradox. To us it is business as usual.

Reactions:
Will this happen? If yes that'd be really great, it doesn't have to be official Chinese version (but it'd be superb if this is coming true), just utf-8 support would be great
And yeah, maybe Chinese subforum?

Have you guys considered about opening a Weibo account? It's just like tweet, post some jokes from time to time, allow Chinese fans to be able to follow the dev diary in an easier way, etc.

We will ask Tencent how we can be better at keeping in contact with our Chinese customers, they seem to know how to do it :)

Reactions:
Will that lead to a business redirection for Asia? Or the global portfolio? Do you plan to establish a new development branch for Asia, maybe in Asia, like e.g. customizing your existing games for these markets?
Nothing like that planned at this point, it's business as usual.

Reactions:
In summary, this does not change any of the operations in Paradox. To us it is business as usual.

Thank you very much for your reply! It's quite rare of me to post publicly online; however, the opportunity sometimes presents itself to me to do just that. You're all awesome over at Paradox and you've got quite the team close to you that's been making he game that I had desired for just a little over 15 years, Cities: Skylines. Reading up on Paradox's IPO has been having me learning more about the world of finance in the sense of "stocks and investing" than anything previously for me! It's just been that you've been providing some ways of learning about all that with methods that I've sure been thinking have been fun! :)