Tencent Buys 5% of Paradox Interactive - Ask Me Anything

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fredrik II

Paradox Interactive
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Sep 15, 2003
www.paradoxplaza.com
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Majesty 2
  • Victoria 2
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Reactions:
How much is PI/PDS worth?

If someone buys it all can they tell Johan how to make Europa Universalis/CK the way they want it?

The value is set to 3.485M SEK (=430M USD)

We are currently only selling a total of 15.5% of the company, the rest is still with the original owners :)

Reactions:

We are currently only selling a total of 15.5% of the company, the rest is still with the original owners :)

If the original owners suddenly realize that they like millions of dollars more then making niche games, could Paradox wind up under foregin ownership?

I am guessing over 50% is what is needed for a holder to gain "control" ?

Or will Paradox never sell anymore then 15% of the company?

Just got a flashback to 2006 when Gamersgate was taking its baby steps into online retail and a very enthusiastic marketing and sales guy at Paradox... not so long ago, only ten years, yet both Paradox and gaming industry have changed more than I had imagined possible. Great work!

Reactions:
If the original owners suddenly realize that they like millions of dollars more then making niche games, could Paradox wind up under foregin ownership?

I am guessing over 50% is what is needed for a holder to gain "control" ?

Or will Paradox never sell anymore then 15% of the company?

The two biggest owners are myself (33.3%) and Spiltan Investment (30%), we have no plans to sell more.

Reactions:
Will your marketing of games change now since you have investors to take in reconsiderations?

Paradox have not announced their games before up until its 'quite' close to launch and start months of intense marketing, dev diarys, blogs etc.

But I know a few gamedevs on the stock market that announces their projects at day1 so the investors know what they have invested in.

What kind if approach will Paradox use in the future?

Will your marketing of games change now since you have investors to take in reconsiderations?

Paradox have not announced their games before up until its 'quite' close to launch and start months of intense marketing, dev diarys, blogs etc.

But I know a few gamedevs on the stock market that announces their projects at day1 so the investors know what they have invested in.

What kind if approach will Paradox use in the future?

We will continue to do as we have done in the past 2 years.

Reactions:
Tencent is based in China, a country which I believe several of Pardox' titles are not allowed to be sold, since they frequently portray China as not one united country.

If any future title should displease Tencent(or any other investor for that matter) for its content, what power do they have to change its contents?

Reactions:
I think Asia and especially China is an amazing opportunity for Paradox.

Why do you think its so hard for western studios to succeed in China? And what will Paradox and Tencent do in the short and long run to make a profitable market?

Are you planning on develop games thats only going to be released in Asia/china or will you change the games you have to more fit their market and gamers? For example change the chinese version to f2p and MT(microtransactions) or what do you think will work?

Reactions:
So what exactly will change in terms of marketing, new games, publishing deals, ...

What's in it for Tencent? What do they want out of it?

They invest in different media, games and tech companies so it's part of their straetgy.

To us, we hope we can get a stable partner for the Chinese market.

Reactions:
I think Asia and especially China is an amazing opportunity for Paradox.

Why do you think its so hard for western studios to succeed in China? And what will Paradox and Tencent do in the short and long run to make a profitable market?

Are you planning on develop games thats only going to be released in Asia/china or will you change the games you have to more fit their market and gamers? For example change the chinese version to f2p and MT(microtransactions) or what do you think will work?

Agreed on the opportunity.

It's been a tough market to penetrate since China in itself is a sub-set of different markets and the games/business models have been adapted to the market. We will work long term to see how our fit to China is; we are not in a hurry.

We have no plans for "China only" games.

Reactions: