• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I suppose it's something for a future dev diary but I'm very curious about the going into seclusion/closing the gates decision, I hope it's not always a 100% guarantee of safety if done as soon as the outbreak begins.
Is it all your holdings or only the place of residence of your character? Is dwindling supplies and the threat of starvation a thing if the outbreak lasts a long time?
I would love having to deal with some tough choices after closing the gates, such as:
Choosing who I throw out as food and water become scarce, separating families and dealing with riots and executions, eating all the horses, having the family eat my hunting dog and maybe even choosing to risk sending out some soldiers to scavenge for food if starvation starts to take it's toll on my immediate family. I hope we get lots of events when dealing with epidemics.

You are on the right track.

So those new features about epidemics are DLC material, not patch content, if I understand well. Is that right?

Yes.

Reactions:
With vanilla introducing a Depopulated modifier as a result of plague, how am I going to make my Promethean Expansion CB special?

Why don't you guys ever think of the casualties?! *sob*

Seriously though, this sounds really cool, and I look forward to seeing more!

Reactions:
Hopefully not, then you can marry off sick females to your enemies. Biological warfare.

Wait, is there going to be an increased chance of getting the plague if a close family member or someone in your court has the infection?

This would be gamey. There would be a need to have a separation for game play purposes. If no one knows the character is sick but he has a trait as a potential carrier (only visible to the player), then they won't refuse him. If he or she is openly sick with a grave disease then obviously no one will accept.

Hm... I don't think you could really detect Plague long before it became phisically apparent, thus if the player character can see the bride is sick in order to send her away, so could the people who you try to wed her to see she's a "subpar match" let's say.
Also, Plague carriers are not time bombs that will wait for the right moment to burst. To ship away a sick bride you would have to send her all driping Plague through your streets to your very busy harbor or (the more than you would like) interconnected roads, having her making stops to eat, drink and "go to the toilet" all the way. Quite more likely that she would die before arriving at her new home but after infecting a quarter of your country.

By the way, one thing that happened in the day was that when the cities got chocked with dead plague victims and had no more place (or people) to bury them, the Pope consecrated a river (I think it was the Arno, might be wrong) and people just dropped their dead on it. That solved the grave digging problem. The side effect was that all around the Mediterraneum, unpreppared coastal holdings got washed with, welll...

Think how omnious would it be for you, ruler of an as of yet uninfected kingdom, if an event fired about a peasant finding a rotting body at the closer beach (any coastal holding), still wearing some tempting jewelry?

Last edited:
Will there be a high chance of people who purely have the Aztec strand of DNA to get the smallpox plague in the SI DLC?

Reactions:
Hm... I don't think you could really detect Plague long before it became phisically apparent, thus if the player character can see the bride is sick in order to send her away, so could the people who you try to wed her to see she's a "subpar match" let's say.
Also, Plague carriers are not time bombs that will wait for the right moment to burst. To ship away a sick bride you would have to send her all driping Plague through your streets to your very busy harbor or (the more than you would like) interconnected roads, having her making stops to eat, drink and "go to the toilet" all the way. Quite more likely that she would die before arriving at her new home but after infecting a quarter of your country.

By the way, one thing that happened in the day was that when the cities got chocked with dead plague victims and had no more place (or people) to bury them, the Pope consecrated a river (I think it was the Arno, might be wrong) and people just dropped their dead on it. That solved the grave digging problem. The side effect was that all around the Mediterraneum, unpreppared coastal holdings got washed with, welll...

Think how omnious would it be for you, ruler of an as of yet uninfected kingdom, if an event fired about a peasant finding a rotting body at the closer beach (any coastal holding), still wearing some tempting jewelry?

It was the Rhône, by Pope Clement VI, which kind of make sense, as during that period the Popes were in Avignon, which border said river.

Reactions:
Looks like The Plague is aiming for the Mare Nostrum/SPQR achievement.

Reactions:
Is there any way to go Madagascar on an epidemic? During the Black Death, Milan cut off all trade routes, closed the cities, exterminated vermin, and arrived to the point of walling the infected inside their own houses. Harsh, but undoubtedly effective:

Bubonic_plague_map_2.png

Milan ended up being the only nation in Italy to survive the plague with barely a scratch, and that opened the way to half a century of Milanese domination of Northern Italy (only concluded by the death of Gian Galeazzo Visconti in 1402 and the following dismemberment of the duchy).

Reactions:
I wonder if the dlc will include some new soundtracks....

A medieval version of "Dance Macabre" in the style of ck2's other soundtracks would be awesome, I really like the christmas tunes they already added in.
You could play it during the epidemic for some extra bubonic vibes, ya know.;)

Reactions:
Are there that many characters in a CK2 game? o_O

Well there is one female that does nothing, but been a possible lover or someone for marriage if no one is available once noble npc are at least 20 years old, in every court of count and above, then there is basically 1 baron for every barony, then their wife and two kid if it is a castle, then the court of every mercenary band having at least 10 character in them. That already a lot of character doing very limited interaction.

Is there any way to go Madagascar on an epidemic? During the Black Death, Milan cut off all trade routes, closed the cities, exterminated vermin, and arrived to the point of walling the infected inside their own houses. Harsh, but undoubtedly effective:

Bubonic_plague_map_2.png

Milan ended up being the only nation in Italy to survive the plague with barely a scratch, and that opened the way to half a century of Milanese domination of Northern Italy (only concluded by the death of Gian Galeazzo Visconti in 1402 and the following dismemberment of the duchy).

Know if anything special happened in Flanders, cause it blue and not in the legend.

It's a slight defect in colors - apparently "not heavily hit" was initially that shade of green, but was later painted to gray - missing Flanders.
Why was Flanders not hard hit?
If we get a pop-up of the appearance of a new disease/epidemic can it be the opening violin cords to the Danse Macabre?
So much this. If it isn't in game I will probably make a personal mod with it. Really good idea.

Why was Flanders not hard hit?
It's... complex. It was assumed, from the lack of increases of wages and reduction of crops on the scale of Italy or the rest of the BeNeLux, that it had been hit lightly or not at all, despite sources pointing at a great amount of deaths; more recent studies point out that the region might just have been overpopulated enough to replace dead workers with excessive ease, avoiding the hike in wages that happened in most of Western Europe.