• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #34 - Clarke Patch

Hello everyone! As you may have noticed, there was no Stellaris development diary this week, because the team has been extremely busy working on the first free patch for the game, which we have named Clarke. Clarke is currently undergoing internal QA testing, and we hope to have a beta version of the patch out for you before the end of the week. Therefore, we decided to do a dev diary after all, detailing some of the fixes, changes and improvements coming in the patch.

Please note that the highlights below are just highlights, NOT exhaustive patch notes!

UI IMPROVEMENTS
A major target area for Clarke was the UI, particularly in regards to sectors and diplomacy. A few highlights:

• Sectors can now be managed directly from the outliner.
    iXkAx0t.png

• Diplomatic Notifications are now much more detailed.
    MAvS38w.png

• End of Combat interface has received a major face-lift.
    VZz7pT8.png

• Habitability icons/tooltips now show you more detailed information, including which worlds in a system you can currently colonize.
    umRygrv.png

AI IMPROVEMENTS
Another major target area for Clarke was to address complaints regarding the AI, particular in sectors to sectors and warfare. A few highlights:
  • Greatly improved sector AI handling of pops, buildings, spaceports and mining stations.
  • Fixes for AI in end game crises.
  • Improvements and fixes to AI handling of its fleets.
  • Less restrictions on what the AI will trade and with who, especially in regards to border access.
  • In multiplayer, empires that are player-controlled will have a 'limited' AI for a period of 10 years if the player drops. The limited AI will not make any drastic changes to the empire, such as changing sectors, disbanding ships, declaring wars, etc, allowing a player to rejoin their empire pretty much as they left it.

We've also added a new option in galaxy setup where you can set the AI's overall aggressiveness.
VKhKVgi.png

EMPIRE BUILDER IMPROVEMENTS
We also took some time to add a pair of highly requested features to the empire builder. Namely, the ability to write a biography for your species and empire, and the ability to customize ruler titles. Ruler titles are customized separately by gender, and will remain even if you change government type, so long as the new government is of the same type as the previous one (so changing from a Monarchy to another Monarchy will not clear your ruler titles, while changing from a Monarchy to a Democracy will).
2BfuQux.png

HW7T33r.png

BALANCE CHANGES
While balance wasn't our main priority for Clarke, we nonetheless targeted a few major balance issues. A few highlights:
  • War score costs now scale to the size of your target, so you can take more planets from large empires but can't vassalize them in a single war.
  • The ability to stack evasion on Corvettes was nerfed.
  • Strike craft had their range substantially increased.
  • Ethics were rebalanced to make Xenophile/Xenophobe stronger picks, among other changes.
  • It is no longer necessary to control planets to demand them in war, but controlling planets that are set as wargoals are now worth more warscore.
  • Technology cost is now increased both by number of planets owned and size of population, instead of just population. Accordingly, the tech increase cost from population was lowered.

BUG FIXES
In addition to all this, Clarke naturally also includes dozens of fixes for bugs large and small. A few highlights:
  • Military Station maintenance is now correctly calculated (was far too high previously).
  • Numerous fixes to events, including fixing up the Old Gods event chain.
  • Fixed 'ghost' trade deal entries and trade deals silently failing when you traded above a certain percentage of your resource stockpiles.
  • Democracies that don't allow slavery will no longer get the Slaver mandate.
  • Difficulty settings are now available in multiplayer setup.

With Clarke almost finished, we're now switching over fully to working on the Asimov patch, as outlined in last week's dev diary. Where Clarke was mainly a fix and UI improvement patch, Asimov will target the midgame with new diplomatic features and event chains. More details about Asimov will be released in development diaries over the next few weeks, but if you have any questions about the Clarke patch, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Any chance of having core planets turned into core systems?
This!. A minor change but managing multiple planets in the same system would be MUCH easier than managing one light years away. This change would account for that nicely (I have not seen a system with more than 3 habitable planets in them so it wouldn't be staggeringly game breaking)

Reactions:
Will the projects to discover 'Unknown Aliens' reliably show up? It's one of the more infuriating bugs when you've conquered three quarters of the galaxy but there's a patch you simply can't interact with because there's no project available to talk to 'Unknown Aliens Lambda.'

Reactions:
So will the Clarke patch also address the permanent decrease in happiness on vassals that were integrated? For example if I uplift a species and then later on try to integrate them, they integrate but have a permanent decrease in happiness... I understand if they were conquered they'd be pissed not only being a vassal but also being integrated, but peaceful vassals should not have the debuff. Love the update! Love the game!

Reactions:
One more thing you should take into factor with tech cost increase. Planet sizes. Or rather, the thing you should take into account is total amount of slots. Only taking planet numbers into account will simply make colonization of small planets obsolete, not worth it. I can already see the scenarios in my mind where everyone rushes to colonize 20+ planets leaving smaller planets completely empty until the large ones get completely terraformed, your pops are bioformed to or assimilated/conquered species occupy them.

Reactions:
Can the ruler titles be changed within a match, especially concerning advanced government types?

Also, will strategic ressources now be empire-wide instead of only being available within the sector they are located in?

For sectors what I would prefer is an option that just said "Auto-upgrade buildings" on the selection screen and a way to overwrite what the sector is doing with the planet, even if that comes at the cost of influence or more Ethic divergence.

I've also had a few bugs with genetic modification: Scientists unable to gene mod any population, going to the research marker the science vessel just sits there and flashes a light on it and the change genetics quest times out.

Also genetically modifying any population you need to go to the homeworld? Even though the homeworld is miles away or in the middle of another Empire? Working as intended?

Reactions:
I am still waiting to buy this game but till there is a trace of mid game content i think holding off makes sense. If it only comes in DLC i will be pissed.

Reactions:
Could you fix the bug where fallen empires actually do they job. I didn't wanted to colonize a holy planets of theirs and moment later another empire colonize it and the fallen empire doesn't give a crap... it's quite a pain in the back...

Reactions:
I am still waiting to buy this game but till there is a trace of mid game content i think holding off makes sense. If it only comes in DLC i will be pissed.

No harm waiting for the base game's first sale.

Reactions: