• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a shame. I was trying to look into adding some additional options for federations, and that would have made things much easier.

I suppose maybe calling an event via an edict could be a possible alternative. Does anyone know how you could do that? I've tried some different combinations along the lines of
Code:
planet_edict = {
     effect = {
          country_event = {
               federation.1
          }
     }
}
similar to how it's done in CK2, but it doesn't seem to be working.

the general idea of having an edit spawn an event should work, but, there's no command related to either federations or alliances in the code as far as i know.

Is it possible to reload mod files and have them update in-game via the console? Manually restarting for every change is a giant pain D:

Renamed the thread to be consistent with other mod sub-forums.

Is there a way to mod a minimum distance that empires spawn from each other at game start?
Just tried a game with a modded 2k planet galaxy with 10 starting empires, every single one of them were crushed up together with the rest of the massive galaxy presumably empty.

I would like get an answer also.

Have a 2.500 galaxy with 10 other races.....

Yes. in base.lua under \map\galaxy\ there are a number of parameters that control this.

Reactions:
I've downloaded a few mods to see how they work. When that happens, I only got the mod dot file, in that file it has this line "remote_file_id="681894160"".

Could someone please explain to me, I don't understand, this never happens to EU4 mods?

Is there a way to modify the chances/weights for what FTL drive a random empire starts with? I haven't been able to find anything to do with random empire generation so far.

Specifically, I'm trying to set it so that one FTL drive is extremely commonplace, while the other two are very rare. Maybe a higher chance of Advanced Start empires having them. Is this even possible?

I've downloaded a few mods to see how they work. When that happens, I only got the mod dot file, in that file it has this line "remote_file_id="681894160"".

Could someone please explain to me, I don't understand, this never happens to EU4 mods?
If you are getting them from the workshop then I believe the files are no longer downloaded into your mod folder only a .mod file which points to where to take the date from off of the workshop

If you are getting them from the workshop then I believe the files are no longer downloaded into your mod folder only a .mod file which points to where to take the date from off of the workshop

Why is that?

How could I understand how the mod works?

This may be a dumb question but do I need to use a specific text editor to change the 00_defines.lua as changing anything using normal notepad causes the game to CTD at startup.

You/Notepad probably save the file incorrectly then. A general tip for editing our files is to use Notepad++ och some other editor like Sublime.

How can I modify when songs in a music mod are played?

I want to modify the chance and the trigger (played at war/played at peace).
Does this work like in EUIV?

Apparently this feature has not migrated over to Stellaris but I will make sure that it gets into a patch.

Reactions:
Quick question: I am trying to buff the AI for a multiplayer mod, but the ai = yes trigger doesn't work anymore. What's the new one called ?

is_ai = yes/no

Reactions:
Sadly, its not working :(

Can I send you my mod folder, and you could have a look?!

THX!

Sure. Upload it somewhere and link it in a post and tag me with the @ symbol.

Anyone knows if save-game editing is still possible ? The .sav file doesn't seem to be openable in a plain text editor (which is too bad, I had a nice AAR idea in mind :( )

It is a zip-file so you have to unzip it.

I'm trying to create a Space Amazon type faction and I want to know which code in the 00_portraits.txt file you edit so that only female portraits can be seen? I read the Wiki modding section and it wasn't detailed enough for me to figure out.

UPDATE: I managed to make my mod work by modding the 00_species_classes.txt file. Once I add more names to my names list text file, I'll release the mod.

Last edited:
So there is no way for me to make a structure that increases robot growth rate? =(

There sort of is. As you can see in the 00_robot_pops file they eat "robot_food". And you can modify this by buildings, adding something like this to a building:

Code:
  pop_growth = {
     produced_growth_resources = {
       robot_food = 1.0
     }

on_pop_created = {
       set_pop_flag = robot_pop_tier_1
     }
     can_upgrade_pop = {
       always = no
     }

can_grow_pop = {
       has_pop_flag = robot_pop_tier_1
     }

create_species_effect = {
       create_species = {
         name = "ROBOT_POP_SPECIES_1"
         class = "ROBOT"
         portrait = "robot1"
         traits = {
           trait = "trait_mechanical"
           trait = "trait_robotic_1"
         }
         new_pop_resource_requirement = {
           type = robot_food
           value = 12.0
         }
         pops_can_be_colonizers = no
         pops_can_migrate = no
         pops_can_reproduce = no
         pops_can_join_factions = no
         pop_maintenance = 2
         pops_can_be_slaves = no
         can_generate_leaders = no
         can_be_modified = no
         pops_have_happiness = no
         pop_ethics = no       
       }
     }
   }

But be aware. There is a reason the base game does not do this and it is because it lead to difficulties with the AI handling maintenance for pops. So if you do use it, set pop_maintenance to zero.

Creating an empty file called "00_defines.lua" in my mod's defines folder and, for example, adding the text "NDefines.Ncamera.EDGE_SCROLLING_PIXELS = 0" there creates a CTD, but creating a file called "m0_defines.lua" in my mod's defines folder and doing the same thing creates a working mod with the desired outcome.

Can someone explain this to me? What do the "m0" and "00" filename tags do? Does it allow me to change variables without changing every variable in the file? Should I change "00" to "m0" on every file I use?

In the first example you overwrite the game's define file, so you try to start the game with only one define set, which of course crashes the game. You should only do this when you have a copy of your own containing all defines. If you just want to override certain values, create a file with another name and only overwrite individual values using the format you posted (NDefines.Ncamera.EDGE_SCROLLING_PIXELS = 0).

Reactions:
Does anyone know how to increase choices for tech research.

I would to have 5 instead of 3.

How to prevent randomly generated AI species to get my custom traits?

"initial = no" will prevent a species from being able to randomly generate the trait at game-start. It also means it can't be picked in the customization-screen at start-up as well, though. Pre-scripted species should be able to use traits having "initial = no" without problem. In a similar manner "modification = no" means the trait can't be added during genetic modification. trait_robotic_1 uses these, for example.

Localisations doesn't seem to be working well for me. Is there any key differences from EU4 localisation scheme I should know about? For example, what's the number at the end of namespace I saw in vanilla localisation files?

It's a version-number value used for our internal localization-tool. They have no effect within the actual game and there's no need to poke at or add them when creating new localization-strings.

Does anyone know how to increase choices for tech research.

I would to have 5 instead of 3.

In \common\defines\00_defines.lua there is a value called NUM_TECH_ALTERNATIVES which sets the basic value for this. If you'd like to increase this using techs or government-form you use:
Code:
modifier = {
    num_tech_alternatives_add = 1
}

Reactions: