• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pandoricus

Captain
121 Badges
Jan 16, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities: Skylines
What Language can I get for free that can enable me to Mod Stellaris Anomalies and do I need photoshop to use the maya modding program?

C++ or Blorg. Probably c++

Edit:
Sorry for the confusion, I read OP's post as what language is needed/helpfull (not IDE) and not what tool.
To edit the files a simple editor ( as said below Notepadd++ is realy comfortable).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is that free? Also would I need a compiler for it?

What?

Uh, pretty sure all you need for modding Anomalies is trusty ol' notepad. Or any other simple text editor. I think Notepad++ is a common suggestion. It's free, go find it if you want.

Maya is not the modding program, but a full fledged (3D)Modelling and Animation program. Paradox has offered a plug-in so you can make something there and then export it to a file format that can be used by the game. You'll need Photoshop for any textures and/or portraits 'n such, again, together with a plug-in so you can export to the right format. Fairly sure they'll work independently from each other, but you'll likely want both.

Photoshop is not free, I believe - there's a trail version, I guess?
Maya, you can get as an Educational version, which is free. Not entirely sure what restrictions apply, though.

Plug-ins for other programs may or may not be forthcoming, but those'll probably be made by fans/modders themselves, so will probably not be available for some time. Might be smart to wait for a GIMP plug-in. (Free alternative for Photoshop.)

Reactions:
Don't Paradox games use their own language? Heck if I know. But it's not complicated, even I've messed around with certain values and events on occasion. Never needed more than notepad++ and the ability to use context clues to guess what something does. Based on the moding dev diary from a bit ago, I think the same thing will work in Stellaris.

Reactions:
What?

Uh, pretty sure all you need for modding Anomalies is trusty ol' notepad. Or any other simple text editor. I think Notepad++ is a common suggestion. It's free, go find it if you want.

Maya is not the modding program, but a full fledged (3D)Modelling and Animation program. Paradox has offered a plug-in so you can make something there and then export it to a file format that can be used by the game. You'll need Photoshop for any textures and/or portraits 'n such, again, together with a plug-in so you can export to the right format. Fairly sure they'll work independently from each other, but you'll likely want both.

Maya, you can get as an Educational version, which is free. Not entirely sure what restrictions apply, though.

Plug-ins for other programs may or may not be forthcoming, but those'll probably be made by fans/modders themselves, so will probably not be available for some time. Might be smart to wait for a GIMP plug-in. (Free alternative for Photoshop.)

Thanks, really helpful! :)

Confirming what others have said, to mod most things like names, events, etc with a Paradox game you just need a normal text editor...Notepad++ recommended by @Brownbeard being among the best. [Source: Been doing it for 15 years]

Reactions:
for modding game mechanics, events, anomalies, ui etc all you need is a text editor. Most files are encoded with utf8 nowadays so regular windows notepad.exe might not be good enough. I recommend sublime text or notepad++.
for modding textures photoshop is recommended, but gimp or paint.net are good free alternatives.
for modding 3d models we currently only have tools that work with Maya.

Reactions:
Reactions:
for modding game mechanics, events, anomalies, ui etc all you need is a text editor. Most files are encoded with utf8 nowadays so regular windows notepad.exe might not be good enough. I recommend sublime text or notepad++.
for modding textures photoshop is recommended, but gimp or paint.net are good free alternatives.
for modding 3d models we currently only have tools that work with Maya.
Sweet, thanks for the info, ready to mod.

What?

Major restriction is not making money out of them.

Would be nice if paradox made some form of exporter for blender, as it is free.