• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I seem to have run into a wall in creating provinces when I add a 2501st. The game loads fine at 2500 defined provinces but adding one causes CTD. Is this a hard coded limit, a memory limitation or something else?

I seem to have run into a wall in creating provinces when I add a 2501st. The game loads fine at 2500 defined provinces but adding one causes CTD. Is this a hard coded limit, a memory limitation or something else?
I don't see anything obvious that should cause this. Could you upload the mod with 2501 provinces somewhere added and hand me a link? Then I could try to debug it and try to find out where it breaks down.

@Divine are there any known event actions that cause the game to freeze? In the current work in progress of the Warhammer mod, we are getting a freezing issue, that appears to be connected to the events folder. Now my understanding was that events typically cause crashes when they go wrong, having the game freeze typically being a consequence of an A.I. issue. Just looking for some guidance in trying to find where I should be looking in the events to resolve this freeze.

@Divine are there any known event actions that cause the game to freeze? In the current work in progress of the Warhammer mod, we are getting a freezing issue, that appears to be connected to the events folder. Now my understanding was that events typically cause crashes when they go wrong, having the game freeze typically being a consequence of an A.I. issue. Just looking for some guidance in trying to find where I should be looking in the events to resolve this freeze.
There could be some issues on our coding part. I guess there could still linger some loops that lack sanity checks, so check the any_ scope changes. Some script functions might have unexpected errors instead of just failing outright if it uses the wrong scopes. Newer script functionality like event_targets and scripted triggers/effects could still have some issues even though they've been tested quite thoroughly.
If you manage to isolate the issue then please poke me what the cause was so I can try to mitigate any future problems like that.

That's super weird. I'm not getting the CTD anymore. This was back in the 2.3.6 version so maybe something has changed to fix it. Thanks for looking though!
Good to hear that it's no longer an issue. =)
Don't hesitate to poke on this or a similar thread should the issue occur again, it sounded like a seriously hampering map editing bug.

Freezes can occur (specially on weak rigs) when lots of computations are being carried at the same time. E.g. I had a 20-30 second rig from an event that basically murdered al the rulers and created a shattered scenario. So it might be just an efficiency issue

@ngppgn it was not a slow down, it was a one hour freeze on an I7 4970K....

Just to inform @Divine here, the cause was indeed an "any_" scope, specifically, "any_title", one of the newer ones, this was the specific scoping and limit causing the freeze:
Code:
FROM = {
    any_title = {
        limit = {
            is_primary_holder_title = yes
            NOT = { holder_scope = { clan_title = { title = PREVPREV } } }
        }
        gain_title = ROOT
    }
} #grant main beastman clan title

Reactions:
@Divine our testing seems to suggest that it was the use of any_title that caused a freeze. We are not sure if it was something to do with the limits we doing with the scope or something else entirely, but as you wanted to know what we found thats it :D

Just to inform @Divine here, the cause was indeed an "any_" scope, specifically, "any_title", one of the newer ones, this was the specific scoping and limit causing the freeze:
Code:
FROM = {
    any_title = {
        limit = {
        }
        gain_title = ROOT
    }
Thanks for the code-snippet. If I get some time on my hands I'll try to set up a scenario with that to see if I can recreate the freezing problem. Question: From where does the effect originate? Is it fired from an on_action or from a single-fire event? What is the FROM-scope supposed to be?

Speaking of any_ scopes, is any_ruler supposed to work as an effect scope? I vaguely remember it being added in 2.4 or 2.5, but it doesn't work (one has to use a limit insde an any_character instead).
The scopes that were added not long ago was the any_character, any_landed_title, any_province, random_character, random_landed_title, random_province. My guess is that you need barons to also be affected but there are the old scopes for any_playable_ruler and random_playable_ruler. Playable rulers are defined as characters holding at least a count+ tier landed title (OR holding a family palace OR holding a landless title while not being a rebel)*.
*As always in CKII there might be some extra rules to this.

Reactions:
Code:
FROM = {
    any_title = {
        limit = {
        }
        gain_title = ROOT
    }

Was it your intention to have ROOT gain every title in the game?

Because that's what your code would do. The "any_title" will scope to every landed title in the world, not just titles held by FROM. You'd need "any_demesne_title" for that.

Reactions:
Thanks for the code-snippet. If I get some time on my hands I'll try to set up a scenario with that to see if I can recreate the freezing problem. Question: From where does the effect originate? Is it fired from an on_action or from a single-fire event? What is the FROM-scope supposed to be?

Here are the events in question:
Code:
# A Beastman ruler dies
character_event = {
    id = beastmen.18
    hide_window = yes

only_rulers = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = { higher_tier_than = COUNT
            trait = creature_beastman
        killer = { is_alive = yes } }

immediate = {
        killer = { character_event = { id = beastmen.19 } }
    }
}

# Killer event
character_event = {
    id = beastmen.19
    desc = EVTDESCbeastmen19
    picture = GFX_evt_beastmen
    border = GFX_event_normal_frame_war
    is_triggered_only = yes
    culture_group = beastman_group

trigger = { is_nomadic = yes
            FROM = { killer = { character = ROOT } }
            OR = { religion_group = chaos_gods_group
                trait = creature_beastman } }
    option = {
        name = EVTOPTAbeastmen19      
        if = { limit = { is_landed = no }
            FROM = { random_demesne_title = { limit = { NOT = { holder_scope = { clan_title = { title = PREVPREV } } } }
                        gain_title = ROOT } } #give county if unlanded
            }
        if = { limit = { FROM = { independent = no } }
            FROM = { liege = { character_event = { id = beastmen.20 } } } #inform liege
            }
        FROM = { any_title = { limit = { is_primary_holder_title = yes NOT = { holder_scope = { clan_title = { title = PREVPREV } } } }
                    gain_title = ROOT } } #give main title
        prestige = 150
        ai_chance = { factor = 1 }
    }
}

The beastmen.18 event is triggered on_death. Hope this is helpful.

@Divine I am sorry to have to ask for your aid again, but in the leadup towards getting the current Warhammer release ready we appear to have found our way into a bug that we lack the ability to determine it's cause. What we do know is that it is somehow connected to A.I. pathing and units being spawned in the Null Province, We have further isolated that in at least once instance the pathing to the null province is occurring in relation to our primary ocean region.

Now while it is indeed probable that the crashes are caused from two separate points of origin, the nature of the occurence according to our debugging is that for some reason the a.i is scoping for its movement path to a province that is not where it is supposed to be.

We seriously have no idea at this point what is causing this crash, and from all appearances a similar crash can be found in the Birth Right mod, @Blood Royal. At this point we would welcome any possible feedback onto the cause of this crash, or any other help you guys are willing to provide.

IF it would help, I can provide two saves that both trigger this crash,( one is connected to the raising of ships and the plotting of a movement path across the primary ocean, and a second save that has it occur as consequence of moving across the land,) as well as the current beta version of the mod via PM.

Reactions:
@Divine I am sorry to have to ask for your aid again, but in the leadup towards getting the current Warhammer release ready we appear to have found our way into a bug that we lack the ability to determine it's cause. What we do know is that it is somehow connected to A.I. pathing and units being spawned in the Null Province, We have further isolated that in at least once instance the pathing to the null province is occurring in relation to our primary ocean region.

Now while it is indeed probable that the crashes are caused from two separate points of origin, the nature of the occurence according to our debugging is that for some reason the a.i is scoping for its movement path to a province that is not where it is supposed to be.

We seriously have no idea at this point what is causing this crash, and from all appearances a similar crash can be found in the Birth Right mod, @Blood Royal. At this point we would welcome any possible feedback onto the cause of this crash, or any other help you guys are willing to provide.

IF it would help, I can provide two saves that both trigger this crash,( one is connected to the raising of ships and the plotting of a movement path across the primary ocean, and a second save that has it occur as consequence of moving across the land,) as well as the current beta version of the mod via PM.
I've got my hands full at the moment but PM the current beta of the mod and the saves to @Captain Gars and he'll try to do some debugging today.

The localisation commands won't work in the UI.
They work well in the tooltips but not when directly used in the UI objects.
Used "[Actor.bloodline_score.GetName]: [Actor.bloodline_score.GetValue]" in the localisation file for the particular entries.
Are they supposed to work there or should I stop trying?

ppotxwfrqn2qoht6g.jpg

I did have trouble a year or so ago with getting variables to properly display in traits. I know @Blood Royal has mentioned you were having improved success than I was, but it might still be connected to. It appears that the UI does not reflect explicit changes until the UI is changed at least with respect to dynamic localisation.