• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 21st of April 2016: Meet the Team + 1.17

Hi all!

In this Dev Diary I'll present the EU4-team as it looks currently.

The Team
  • Johan, still game director, creating the high-level design for the expansions.

• Anona, I’m the new project lead, making sure planning and priorities are made, as well as keeping deadline and being on budget. Been with Paradox for 2,5 years and hope you look forward to the upcoming expansions!

• Gnivom, I’m a new recruit to Paradox who loves EU4. I am a junior programmer who just graduated from High School.

• Chaingun. Programmer on EU4. Conveniently, I used to play EU2 in my early teenage years.

• Trin Tragula, Content Designer. I used to be a modder for PDS games and later became a research alpha/beta for EU4 (mainly doing both pre-AoW and post-AoW India). I joined the EU4 team during the development of Art Of War and my work includes creating and researching most events, missions, decisions, etc in the game as well as any changes to the map.

• LittleFido, embedded QA for EU4, I've been at Paradox for almost two years now and been attached to EU for over a year of that time. I love seeing the project grow and trying to find, reproduce and help solve bugs we encounter. Seeing a new patch or DLC release is at the same time the most exciting and stressful time for me! I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do!

• I’m DDRJake, QA turned Junior Designer for EU4. I’ve been part of the Paradox family for over a year now after years of sacrificing sleep and other necessities to stare at maps. Continuing to play the game to ensure it is enjoyable and interesting is an important role of mine, as well as writing and refining future designs for EU4. You’ll catch me lurking in the suggestions forum and the bug reports section, taking in community feedback on improving Europa.

• r_lazer, lead programmer on the EU4 team. Started on the EU4 team around 1.5 years ago and have enjoyed working on every DLC since then. El Dorado was a favourite where I got to implement the Nation Designer.

• StarNaN, Embedded QA for EU4. Started working at Paradox last year in December. I’ve been playing Europa Universalis since early EU3 and loved Svea Rike 1 and 2 as a child, therefore I want EU4 to be as good as it can be. My part in doing this is the same as LittleFido, I try to find, reproduce and help solve bugs.

• The Real Timor, I’m the rather odd artist who makes things look nice and neat. Or at least as neat as they can be in a screen with 50+ icons, numerous stats, and tooltips to blot out the sun. Aaah, the beauty of EU4. And let’s not forget the cute Big Blue Blob achievement.

We’re currently working on the upcoming 1.17 patch which we we’ll release when it’s ready. The patch will contain bugfixes and crash fixes for Mare Nostrum such as:

• Christian Hordes will reform into Eastern technology

• Disbanding ships in port will return Sailors to the Sailor Pool

• Fix for the 0Kb savegame crash

• Republican Sufferance impacts sailor gain

• Performance optimization

• Fixed Central African Lakes

• Refining Naval Missions

• OOS fix

• Tightened up AI budgeting to help prevent debt spirals.

Ideas for Dev Diaries
If you have ideas for upcoming dev diaries, feel free to write them below.

/The EU4-Team

Reactions:
How about a dev diary on how the forums impact your decisions? How often do you talk about suggestions from the community and how often do you actually think about implementing them?

Reactions:
Thanks for the dev dairy.

I would like a DD about the team's individual ideas or wishes for EU4's future and how you guys decide what gets into the game or not and what would be better suited for a mod. We all have desires or wishes and I'd like to see how developers translate those into an existing design philosophy.

Reactions:
Could we get AI guarantees of other tags fixed in 1.17? Much like the problem with trade embargoes by subjects a few patches ago, the AI throws a guarantee on someone and then cancels it a few months later.

Reactions:
The AI should be less willing to increase autonomy in uncored territories, since it will then create them into expensive 100% local autonomy states. A lot of the times the -10 unrest is not even needed, either due to low RR or the ability to clear rebels.

Especially when forcefeeding vassals they will go bankrupt because of this, wit expenses increasing due to states, and income staying the same due to all land being 100% autonomous, which should be like 55% if they just waited 24 months with increasing autonomy instead of straight away with rebels at 0% and never going to rise up due to decay of seperatism.

Reactions:
@Anona Are you a double Project Lead or you got moved again?

E: I think i like the DD's that talk about how implementing things is going and what are the planned features in the next update. (Like it was for The Cossacks).

Last edited:
Reactions:
How about a dev diary on the beverages consumed in the development process.

Reactions:
I'd like to see a dev diary dedicated to talking about changes that've come in the past patch cycle or two and why they were necessary or good. I'm still confused on why corruption was necessary and what problems it solved, for example, and why you went with that particular implementation over something else.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ideas for Dev Diaries
If you have ideas for upcoming dev diaries, feel free to write them below.

/The EU4-Team

How about (and this could be a DD for any of your games) how much other games in your lineup inspire features? The obvious example is coalitions from EU4 to CK2.

What does that general process look like?
What features would you like to see imported from the other titles in the future?
Are you ever inspired by other companies' games?
Are we ever going to get dynamic flags like in Vicky2?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
Reactions:
If there is one,
Maybe sharing some of the user statics; playstyles, how many games really end till last day, when people stop playing and starting new, avarage hours,etc..

Reactions: