• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Here's hoping that Hashem doesn't win the commoner's tournament, or I'll have to tutor the second :p.

@Mach Twelve : Isn't Petros a noble? @DragonOfAtlantis : I still need the baron's age for the bonus/malus.

The tournament ranks are filling nicely :).))

((He is a Byzantine Noble, but he is listed under Courtiers and not Unlanded Nobles. I'm in a Grey Area))

((He is a Byzantine Noble, but he is listed under Courtiers and not Unlanded Nobles. I'm in a Grey Area))
((All foreigners, as stated by the rules, are courtiers. I think.))

((All foreigners, as stated by the rules, are courtiers. I think.))

((You are right, but alscon has noble/commoner divisions not noble/courtier))

Alejandro was most elated when he heard of the tournament, it could be a great way to get himself introduced to court, at least he hoped.
With all these masters of the art, it would be a challenge, but didn't David beat goliath, even if he was of far lower ability or capacity than the great giant. Furthermore his youngest brother, Jerome had pleaded, and succeeded in leaving his beloved so that he may bring honour to the family, akin to his brother.

But deep in the forests of Pirineo, a man was found. He looked old, and dressed in the most peculiar of garments, but he commanded to be given a horse with a voice that demanded loyalty and obedience. and he rode with great pace to Valencia, to the take part in the great tournament.

The Casa de Soneta offers forth 3 champions, in ascending age order

1. Don Jerome Manuel Francsec de Maia, born of house de Soneta, and thus will represent his house of birth in this great event, born in 1600. Has medium training, but he is edging towards a fine mastery in single combat, but these skills are yet to be tested in a more challenging environment.
  2. Duc Alejandro III Lorenzo Maria Philippe Alfons de Soneta, born 1592. Has had through his intense training under his father, but is becoming a little rusty given his lack of a partner to fence with in a long while.
  3. Duc Francesco Andreas Maximilas de Soneta, or so he claims, claims to be born in 1504, but has the appearance of one aged 65 to 70. Has a intense level of training, as he recounts his great training under his parents, as well as his intense precision whilst involved in matters such as hunting, but also lays claim to having fought in great wars in the heavens, a most sacraligious account, but there are some who accept his words; after all the de Sonetas have produced two Popes already, surely this man must speak a divine truth, and not want to attempt to sully his house's great name?

((Here's hoping that Hashem doesn't win the commoner's tournament, or I'll have to tutor the second :p.

@Mach Twelve : Isn't Petros a noble? @DragonOfAtlantis : I still need the baron's age for the bonus/malus.

The tournament ranks are filling nicely :).))
((Let's say he's 40, born 1594))

((You are right, but alscon has noble/commoner divisions not noble/courtier))
((Yes, it is based on the character, not the iAAR class, so a Mandromenos would be a noble. I will put your character where he fits best from the number of participants if that is fine with you. I will treat you as whatever you participate then in the future ;).))

As soon as he learned about what happened to Emperor Pere, Jean rushed into his ruler's room. He watched closely as his monarch was slowly dying on his bed, however unlike the other he was silently standing in the corner, remaining in a stoic, peaceful state. After all it's only natural for man to die. Life, death, a never ending cycle. But when he was whipsering to Clara, Jean got intrigued and attempted to listen in, yet he didn't hear anything which made him worried about the secrets shared between the two royals. Then when he told everyone about his children being kidnapped he returned to being stoic. Of course he had a reason for changing the law, and now he knew what it was. He acted surprised, but in all honesty Jean didn't care much. No matter what the law was after a royal another one would come either way. Why should he be concerend about that anyway? He just needed to keep his family safe and the business booming. But maybe it was time for something to change? Maybe the monarchy should go down? Give the power to the people? Turn the country into a republic? Yes... Res Publica... But this would take years of planing and he needed support, but who should he trust in these days? Nobles? No... These man wouldn't support him ever, they valued their rights too much. Other courtiers and commoners? Few probably would side wtih him, but not a lot? Clergy? No chance... This will be a very difficult indeed.

Reactions:
((Yes, it is based on the character, not the iAAR class, so a Mandromenos would be a noble. I will put your character where he fits best from the number of participants if that is fine with you. I will treat you as whatever you participate then in the future ;).))

((Yeah, go ahead and put him with the nobles. Its your tournament.))

((Also, I will not be writing out a full recruitment on the investigation plot on Empress Francesca, but @alscon @Robban204 @Raboude @ML8991 are all invited to this plot. Assume you have full awareness of the secret meeting with the Emperor))

(( @05060403, yay I was waiting for someone to start this kind of movement ^^. I had planned some Italian nationalism/indipendentism for my family. A republican movement could be very fun indeed. ))

((A long time ago we had some antagonistic anti-noble graffiti spreading around... except it didn't really spread around. Though, if there is a succession crisis, the instability would be there to switch to a Republic.))

Last edited:
Co-Chancellor Madromenos,

I will admit that the Empress' reaction at Pere's deathbed was quite... violent. And that she acted without the Emperor's knowledge before. But I do have my doubts - if she was so eager to gain power, wouldn't it have been the more... direct... way to... eliminate... her sister instead of securing the throne for her husband? She would have been next in line after Clara if the dynastic law was respected. If she truly has no compassion for her sister, then it would have been the logical way to put her out of the way, wouldn't it? I am certain she could have found many Greek nobles to blame for this vicious act, and the risk is comparable to taking the Emperor's children. I will therefore not get involved in your investigation, but I will not hinder it either. She may not be responsible for this, but I believe she might very well plan something else behind her husband's back again. It would be good would you uncover this.

Respectfully,
LFM

((One last question for the tournament. So far, I have 17 entries for the nobles and 6 for the commoners. Seeing as I would have to use a lot of fillers for the nobles, I would prefer it to have 16 entries so that there is no nobody participating.

In order to achieve that, I'll retire my uncle Jean from the nobility's tournament. That would leave open the commoner's side for further entries, while this will be the nobility's tournament (weighted so that two members of the same family don't meet immediately, else entirely random):
HortXBa.png

At least one more commoner would be nice, else I will have to use a filler.:rolleyes:))

Last edited:
sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My fellow Co-Chancellor,

The Empress reaction was indeed strange, and while I do agree that she should be watched, I am too old to get involved personally. I will certainly not hinder your investigation though, and I hope that you find what you are looking for. As of now, I will merely have a few extra loyal guards accompany her, to report any strange behaviour to you. This will not a be a problem, since she is now Empress and need a few more guards anyway.

Felipé de Alvaro, count of Sassari, Imperial Treasurer, Imperial Steward and Co-Chancellor
Lux Tenebris Vincet

Few members of the Saint-Pierre family have decided to take part in the commoner tournament.

(( Characters:

David Maxime de Saint-Pierre - Born in 1598 (Age 32) - Medium training, it's his hobby per se.

Achille Basile de Saint-Pierre - Born in 1600 (Age 30) - Intense training, spend few years as a mercenary in Italy before suffering some injuries and retiring. ))

It seemed the Almighty God, in which Lúcia believed so adamant, found it just to call two men she deeply respected at more or less the same time. While she was still in mourning for Pope Francis I, she was called to the deathbed of the Emperor. The scene which happened there was hard to believe, but did actually take place... She felt bad for Clara. Not only put aside by a disgusting plot, now she was taken in custody as well... She sighed. If only there was something she could do... A letter of Petros brought her some hope. To find the instigator... Again she reminded herself. That one gives and takes. But perhaps his interests were more similar to hers as she had thought earlier... So, perhaps against better judgement, she replied him with a positive letter.

There was another unsettled matter... The hunt for the Montségur murderer. She wrote a sealed letter to the new Emperor, with a copy to @alscon .

7pcGwiM.png

To His Imperial Majesty, Francesc I de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome and Protector of the Greeks,

Your Imperial Highness, please allow me to congratulate you on your ascension of the throne. May your reign be long and prosperous.

While it has no doubt your mind is taken by the many new responsibilities, I feel I must request your attention to a particular affair. During the reign of your predecessor, a most foul murder was committed at the Court. We have long suspected the murderer fled outside of Hispania, but we have lacked proof ever since. I would ask Your Imperial Majesty for a renewed effort in finding the villain who dared raise a hand against a noble. For your subjects, it would mean you stand for justice. For the nobles, it would mean a sign of support resulting in a higher loyalty, which I am sure will strengthen your rule.

May the Almighty protect you and your family,

Lúcia Fernanda Manuela de Maia,
Condesa de Lisboa, co-chancellor of the Imperial chancellery

Now. Apparently a tournament takes place... While Lúcia had no intention of joining, she was most pleased her husband would participate, and prepared to be present at his first duel.

-----

(( I'd like another roll to find José Fulminante. ))

((I would have requested the roll after the tournament, for what else could it be but a distraction?))

Lady de Maia,

It pleases me that you haven't yet forgotten my father and still are willing to help to drag him out of whatever hole he is hiding in. I am certain we will find him, and then he will be dealt with accordingly to his crime. But only after the tournament. Speaking of which, I am pleased to see your husband participating. Maybe he will have the honour of losing against me in the semi-finals.

Thank you for your continued support,
Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria

((And now for the table of the commoners:
9P4Pyah.jpg

May the best fencer win.))

((I would have requested the roll after the tournament, for what else could it be but a distraction?))

Lady de Maia,

It pleases me that you haven't yet forgotten my father and still are willing to help to drag him out of whatever hole he is hiding in. I am certain we will find him, and then he will be dealt with accordingly to his crime. But only after the tournament. Speaking of which, I am pleased to see your husband participating. Maybe he will have the honour of losing against me in the semi-finals.

Thank you for your continued support,
Louis François de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria

((And now for the table of the commoners:
9P4Pyah.jpg

May the best fencer win.))

((When will you do the die rolls?))

The crowd was able to witness some spectacular fights and some impressive showcase of skill in the first round of the tournament. Here are the results of the first duels:

Base chance is 50/50. Then I look at the duel modifiers: The participant with higher skill pushes the limit to the other fencer.
Example: A has +15%, B has +30%.
Then the chance for this duel will be 35/65. An easy win for A would be a roll between 1 and 11, a normal one 12 to 23 and a hard one 24 to 35.
I then make a random roll from 1 to 100, and there is the result. If you are curious, I'll include the actual roll under the tie.

Louis François de Montségur vs. Ferran de Trastámara, Count of Salento: A win for the host who made it look easy.
Roll: 5

Teofilo Volturno vs. Augustín de Alvaro: A normal duel that ended in a victory for Teofilo Volturno.
Roll: 32

Hernando Francisco de Leon vs. Alejandro III Lorenzo Maria Philippe Alfons de Soneta: The old retired Marshal fought better than most had expected, but Soneta's victory was not threatened too much. A normal victory.
Roll: 73

Diego Fajardo de Mendoza y Guzmán vs. Jerome Manuel Francesc de Maia: The lowly noble seeking to restore his fortunes had the absolute will to prove himself. Jerome de Maia couldn't withstand for long, earning a humiliating defeat.
Roll: 9

Erodio Volturno vs. Andrés de Alvaro:
The second duel of these two families was a hard-fought, sometimes breathtaking duel. In the end, Andrés de Alvaro was able to set the score straight and triumphed.
Roll: 53

Crown Prince Ferran vs. Petros Mandromenos: Somehow, the Greek never found a way into this tie. Perhaps intimidated by a possible wrong step towards the Prince? Ferran won easily.
Roll: 2

Maximilien Philippe de Montségur vs. Marti de Leon
: Maximilien de Montségur almost took Marti de Leon by surprise right at the beginning of this tie, but Marti stayed in the fight. In the end, Montségur came out on top, but de Leon wasn't put to shame.
Roll: 16

Don Chesús vs. Francesco Andreas Maximilas de Soneta: The easily most anticipated tie of the first round was fascinating, focus of all attention. The old men fought hard and valiantly, and in the end, the legendary Don Chesús claimed victory.
Roll: 43

edyo6Jv.png

Last edited:
The tournament of the commoners also saw some great skill. There were often great differences, though one tie was a great match.

Eduard Villanova vs. David Maxime de Saint-Pierre: A Saint-Pierre is no native from the New World, and Eduard Villanova had to realize this fairly quickly after being overwhelmed by his opponent.
Roll: 84

Emiliano vs. Hermann Lübecker: The Italian soldier against the German saw another easy victory. A duel in a tournament seemed to be not enough of a battlefield for Emiliano.
Roll: 86

Javier Torto vs. Achille Basile de Saint-Pierre: The one-armed old soldier made things very difficult for Saint-Pierre. After a hard battle, he finally broke through Javier's defences and claimed victory.
Roll: 46

Almudena Hashem vs. Dietrich Vinzent Lübecker: The general made use of all his experience to see Lübecker eliminated from the tournament fairly easily.
Roll: 16

ANBMOjD.jpg

((Feel free to IC to your duel. If you wish to attempt to kill your opponent, then announce your intent to do so.))

Last edited:
((The legend of Don Chesus lives!:D))

Reactions:
(IC from after duel))

Almudena had won the duel through his great skill and experience, but had it gone on longer, he felt he would have collapsed from exhaustion. His old age required him to play most defensively. Almudena found it increasingly unlikely he would win, but if he did, ((private)) he had a plan which would be a culminating point of his life ((private)).