• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Subj.
Because real-time is a deal-breaker for many and real-time is, well, rarely performs as planned, as we saw in PoE and other RPGs.
Huh? Real-time worked fine in PoE. And i imagine this one is going to be real-time as well.

I can live with either one. Who knows, maybe they'll pull Arcanum and let you choose which you prefer, but that's a pipe dream.

Hi all!. I sign up to vote that i love RTwP!. I really hope Tyranny is RTwP. There are many reasons (for me) why turn-based is not for me and i think it offer far lesser gameplay mechanics than TB. For one in TB, having limited actions per turn really defeats the purpose of options. You can be offered many options per turn such as movement, attack, skill, magic utility, etc. but you are restricted and often forced to choose the best or most efficient actions per turn.. which is to deal damage. This basically means TB itself is actually quite limited and restrictive.

Sure, in many TB games you are offered more Action Points when you levels up much like Original Sin but they are still a very linear and restrictive for a strategy game. Also, TB will render gameplay mechanics of many attributes such as initiatives and attack speed useless in context.

Anyway, i'm not here for a discussion or argument about which is a better one. But i would highly prefer RTwP as i have given my point of view. Don't get me wrong. I do play tonnes of TB strategy games like King's Bounty, Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Wonders, etc. So don't think that i'm someone who doesn't know what i'm talking ;)

Last edited:
Turn based please is my meaningless vote. I enjoyed PoE despite the RTWP combat. And if this has similar combat, I'll still enjoy it (just not as much :))

Turn-based would be really nice. Just look how well Divinity: Original Sin was received! TB is the future of RPGs :D
mmmmm, Pillars of Eternity was well received to. Not to mention old crpg's like Baldurs Gate and many more had real time with pause.

I like both Turnbased and Realtime with pause, what ever way they go I will be fine with.
As much as I loved Divinity Original Sin, Pillars was just as enjoyable to me. Even if I slightly prefer full on turnbased (I would say 60% to 40% for me personally), there has been some amazing real time with pause rpgs over the years.

And I don't know if turnbased is "the future of rpg's" as you say. Look how big The Witcher 3 and Pillars where last year, neither was turnbased.

I'm pretty sure it's RTwP. I see no real reason for them to dramatically shift away from what they built in PoE. Building upon that system and improving it makes far more sense than abandoning it. Cheaper production this way. I think the intent is to utilize the resources already present. The same thing was done with the infinity engine.

I'm completely fine with this and excited to see how far they can push the reactive narrative, which was PoE's weakest area.

I'm pretty sure it's RTwP. I see no real reason for them to dramatically shift away from what they built in PoE. Building upon that system and improving it makes far more sense than abandoning it. Cheaper production this way. I think the intent is to utilize the resources already present. The same thing was done with the infinity engine.

I'm completely fine with this and excited to see how far they can push the reactive narrative, which was PoE's weakest area.

I still don't understand why everyone bashes PoE narrative. The story is brilliantly nihilistic and as far as I'm concerned the best I have experienced. Excluding maybe Arcanum, where the final boss almost convinced me to end all life.

I still don't understand why everyone bashes PoE narrative. The story is brilliantly nihilistic and as far as I'm concerned the best I have experienced. Excluding maybe Arcanum, where the final boss almost convinced me to end all life.

I adore Pillar's narrative. But one thing it isn't is reactive. It's linear.