• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Altipueri

Captain
35 Badges
Mar 14, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
I bought this in early 2016 from Steam. I've yet to play more than a few minutes but issues cropped up with the game crashing or not starting after changing settings.

Saving games and changing resolution caused crashes. I found these solutions from other postings which I copy below :

AGCEEP mod: Crash on Save Game until I manually created "save games" directory
In case anyone else is seeing gamecrash when saving a game while playing with the bundled AGCEEP mod, I had to manually create a directory named "save games" under "...\SteamApps\common\For The Glory\Mods\AGCEEP\Scenarios\" before it would let me save and reload a AGCEEP game.

I also discovered my AGCEEP autosaves were being put under the plain game's save folder "...\SteamApps\common\For The Glory\Scenarios\Save Games". When I copied the "autosave.cfg" and "autosave.eeg" files to the "save games" folder under "Mods\AGCEEP\Scenarios\" I was able to load the autosave...

(my pc in case it matters: Vista 64-bit)

2. Crash when changing resolution or going to full screen

Similar problem happening to me. My solution was just to find the game folder in steamapps/common/ and then in the 'settings' text file change the x an y size to your native resolution, for me that is x=1920 and y=1080. Whenever an older game doesn't work on my system it is %90 of the time because of this.. for other games either change the resolution in a config file or if you can't do that try to get it to open in windowed mode (which works with any resolutions) then change it in game to full screen + your native resolution.

I had to change to full screen = yes to get the game to restart

I hope that helps others new to this.

BTW - I couldn't get past the first page on the forum tech support sub forum

AGCEEP mod: Crash on Save Game until I manually created "save games" directory
In case anyone else is seeing gamecrash when saving a game while playing with the bundled AGCEEP mod, I had to manually create a directory named "save games" under "...\SteamApps\common\For The Glory\Mods\AGCEEP\Scenarios\" before it would let me save and reload a AGCEEP game.
I also discovered my AGCEEP autosaves were being put under the plain game's save folder "...\SteamApps\common\For The Glory\Scenarios\Save Games". When I copied the "autosave.cfg" and "autosave.eeg" files to the "save games" folder under "Mods\AGCEEP\Scenarios\" I was able to load the autosave...

(my pc in case it matters: Vista 64-bit)

Problems with mods should be discussed in the mods subforum, for AGCEEP that is:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/agceep.480/

The version of AGCEEP that comes with FtG usually is not the latest version so if it´s not patch 1.59 get the latest version of AGCEEP mod here
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/version-1-59b4-is-up.509577/

I hope that helps others new to this.

I hope others read the Tech Support FAQ first
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/tech-support-faq.444126/

BTW - I couldn't get past the first page on the forum tech support sub forum

If you don´t see all old threads and posts this forum error can be circumvented:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-beta-29-december.744183/page-3#post-19389335

You don´t mention what version/patch the game has after you installed it. If it´s not yet version 1.2 then get the patch
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-2-is-now-out.489887/

Don´t forget to register your FtG game and get your FtG icon.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick reply.

I thought Steam was supposed to have all stuff up to date and just work. In fact if I had realised I could still get the game non-Steam I would have done so because I only reluctantly loaded Steam onto my laptop to try some games I bought but didn't realise Steam was compulsory.

Anyway, on start up it says FTG 1.2

The Steam support forum said support was by Paradox but then you can only see the first three or so topics.

By the way I have also found that if you try and load some minor countries you a crash saying something like "burst error" but it seems OK playing England or France.

I thought Steam was supposed to have all stuff up to date and just work.

Sure. And most of the time it works. But it doesn´t hurt to check yourself what version number the game and/or mod you are using is displaying to see if you have the latest version.

In fact if I had realised I could still get the game non-Steam I would have done so because I only reluctantly loaded Steam onto my laptop to try some games I bought but didn't realise Steam was compulsory.

You can play Steam games with Steam in off-line modus (after you activated them once) to reduce the amount of program running in the background
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

Anyway, on start up it says FTG 1.2

Then you have the latest official patch with which most of the existing mods work.
There is a 1.3 patch in development that is still in the beta phase that can be downloaded in the FtG tech support subforum - however a lot of the older mods in the modding forum are not yet updated for the changes of that patch, so check first in the thread of the mod what patch the mod needs and try out those that require FtG 1.2 before trying the 1.3 beta patch.

The Steam support forum said support was by Paradox but then you can only see the first three or so topics.

Didn´t I already mention the workaround for the forum that makes it possible to see the older threads and stickys? In my post here the 2nd paragraph:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-beta-29-december.744183/page-3#post-19389335

By the way I have also found that if you try and load some minor countries you a crash saying something like "burst error" but it seems OK playing England or France.

Does that happen in the normal "vanilla" game of FtG or using the AGCEEP mod?

Thanks for the further reply. I'm not in front of my steam pc so I can't recreate that burst crash - but I think I was trying to play as Zimbabwe loading from an autosave.

Then try to reproduce the crash when you are at your PC again.
If the error happens when trying the normal FtG game report it in the tech support subforum, if the error only happens when playing the AGCEEP mod in the modding subforum for AGCEEP.

So now FTG won't work because of a Steam update - this apparently also affects Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour.

I've tried starting from the ftg.exe and tried changing compatibility but still it just crashes on start up.

I knew Steam was a mistake and so it is being shown - and their forum just says support is with Paradox. So come on guys, if old stuff is free then maybe one accepts it won't work but this was paid for, and it is the hours wasted that grates.

So now FTG won't work because of a Steam update - this apparently also affects Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour.

I've tried starting from the ftg.exe and tried changing compatibility but still it just crashes on start up.

I knew Steam was a mistake and so it is being shown - and their forum just says support is with Paradox. So come on guys, if old stuff is free then maybe one accepts it won't work but this was paid for, and it is the hours wasted that grates.

As I wrote in my last post: When you have a problem with the normal FtG game, report it in the Tech Support subforum
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/ftg-tech-support.482/
and register your game key so that the FtG eagle is shown under your avatar.

How do I do that?

The old physical CDs I had from Paradox had numbers on the manual or CD? Is the Steam number the same format as the Paradox one?

Is this a Paradox problem or a Steam problem - how do I know - I'm just a customer not a PC guru?

How about an enlightened approach that goes along the lines of - "Oh, thank you for bringing that to our attention; we'll check with Steam and post a sticky so that other users can find the solution"?

Nothing but dust and leaves blowing through the Tech Support Forum - there not having been a post there since May 2015 - almost a year ago.

Anyway, I've got my pretty little eagle.

SUCCESS

A link from the Steam forum solved the issue.

So your question in the tech support forum has been solved too?

Could you provide the link that solved your problem and perhaps explain what it did?

The Steam forum gave a link which worked, but in any case I gather Steam has now done another update which corrects whatever they did wrong before.

I only posted in the Tech forum because you nagged me to.