• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 10th March 2016

Hello everyone, and welcome to another development diary for Europa Univeralis IV. Today, we focus on many of the core aspects of Mare Nostrum, our next expansion.

First, we have completely changed how naval missions work, introducing a unified system that includes settings for when your ships should return to port for repairs and how aggressive the fleets should be.

Naval Missions are selected from the new mission interface, and each mission targets either a sea/coastal region or a trade node. The old missions to Protect Trade, privateer, Hunt Pirates and Explore are available (depending on which expansions you currently own), just as before, but Mare Nostrum adds three new naval missions.
  • Hunt Enemy Fleets - Your ships will automatically try to hunt down weaker enemy fleets in the region to sink them.
  • Blockade Enemy Ports - This divides your fleet, and attempts to blockade as many ports as possible in the region.
  • Intercept Transports - Your ships will protect coastlines in region and prioritize attacks on any transport fleet.
1ToyfDJ.jpg

The Detach Damaged feature for Ships has gotten a huge boost in Mare Nostrum. Now, ships that are detached from a fleet will a automatically rejoin their original fleet when they have been repaired.

In 1.16, naval leaders will also get siege pips. Each of those pips will increase blockade efficiency by 10%. If you have Mare Nostrum, you’ll now also able to reassign naval leaders while fleets are at sea, as long as they are within supply range.

Some people have complained about how blockades are not really visible. Now there is also a thick red line on the coastlines where you are blockaded, and a purple one is shown where you blockade.
cLuCFtl.jpg

Naval Combat has gotten a complete overhaul as well. First of all, we removed the positioning mechanic, as it was not terribly useful, and players couldn’t really affect it anyway.

Now, there is a restriction in how many ships can fire at a single time in a naval combat. 20 ships is the baseline, 10% more ships can fire in coastline, and there is a variation of 10% more or less based on the differences between the maneuver ability of each fleet’s commander..

Also, Morale Damage is inflicted on all ships still floating whenever a ship is sunk, with up to 2% damage.

A ship being sunk has a chance of being captured instead of sunk, which depends on the enemy commanders maneuver value. If a fleet retreats, all its captured ships are immediately scuttled.

Stay tuned, because next week, we’ll tell you all about condottieri !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Knowing something exists does not equal to having detailed maps of the area.

European nobles did actually have an okay-ish idea of what was going in Iran, though. Temur had several European notables at his court, including Ruy Gonzáles de Clavijo. The king of Castile exchanged several letters with Temur and apparently Temur held him in some esteem. The Venetians and Genoese kept up quite stable contacts with many of the Iranian princelings throughout the era, there's a number of writings on Soltania/Soltaniyeh from the period. I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that European nations should be able to see as far as western Iran in 1444.

Reactions:
European nobles did actually have an okay-ish idea of what was going in Iran, though. Temur had several European notables at his court, including Ruy Gonzáles de Clavijo. The king of Castile exchanged several letters with Temur and apparently Temur held him in some esteem. The Venetians and Genoese kept up quite stable contacts with many of the Iranian princelings throughout the era, there's a number of writings on Soltania/Soltaniyeh from the period. I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that European nations should be able to see as far as western Iran in 1444.
And with the new map spread mechanic they can see as far as China and Japan by 1500.

Is to early so say, but the auto blocked, mission, etc are not in my mind a full sea campaing, maybe i was waiting for bonus or other type of cool feature for naval warfare, or call this sea is in my full control (Mare Nostrum). I like the suggestions in this forum like colonization with more risk but at the end huge reward. Spain was the 1st power for almost 200 years, with all the gold and silver from the americas, maybe the new corruption could help in this for world empires. If there is not more navy, sea, exploration, naval commanders, etc i suggest change the name of the next DLC. Maybe Merchant republics relate theme or a italian theme for the condotori.

Can we please get a checkmark option for "dont capture enemy ships ever" ? My OCD triggers every time I have 100 heavies and 1 captured transport in a fleet.

Oh please.

I have OCD too, and while that's not a trigger for me, it's easy to fix. Simply open the ship menu and split off the transport ship. It takes about a minute and you get a free ship. Requesting a "feature" for something that can be fixed in sixty seconds is simply laziness.

Oh please.

I have OCD too, and while that's not a trigger for me, it's easy to fix. Simply open the ship menu and split off the transport ship. It takes about a minute and you get a free ship. Requesting a "feature" for something that can be fixed in sixty seconds is simply laziness.
Cool solution. Except for you have to do it after every third battle on multiple fleets in every war against nations that have any kind of navy. I literally requested a checkmark, calling it a feature is a huge overstatement.

And don't get me wrong, I do what you said all the time, because it matters for me. I'm not trying to play the OCD card, just requesting a simplest thing to spare myself and other players from this repetetive non gameplay routine.

@Johan : About the blockade mission... I would suggest some sort of checkbox or something to apply "loose blockade" and "tight blockade". Loose blockade would have the fleet split up into stacks large enough to blockade the ports within a given region (or whatever you guys are using for this) while tight blockade would only split up or keep together the fleet blockading most valuable ports or ports containing enemy fleets/ships. To be honest, I'm reluctant to use this mission because I'm concerned that it might not take into account of nearby enemy fleets and thus the smaller stacks that were split off the main body of the fleet would be easy prey.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Cool solution. Except for you have to do it after every third battle on multiple fleets in every war against nations that have any kind of navy. I literally requested a checkmark, calling it a feature is a huge overstatement.

And don't get me wrong, I do what you said all the time, because it matters for me. I'm not trying to play the OCD card, just requesting a simplest thing to spare myself and other players from this repetetive non gameplay routine.

Well one of the benefits of a strong navy was gaining prizes of war. The major issue is that economic success is too easy in this game and therefore doesn't require you to maximize those fortunate gains. However I do see your point that redeploying captured ships is annoying micromanagement. I think the better solution is to offer the player the option to take the ship or the cash equivalent.

Last edited:
Reactions:
You really gave France another 2 provinces to develop ... how could you
France developing provinces is the least of your concerns if you're anywhere near them.

Reactions: