• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The next release will most likely be out on this Sunday, and after spending most of this day polishing on numerous angles, it's really satisfying to compare the progress made between the last release and as it is now:

OLD-----------------------------------------------------------------------NEW​

I'll be making some colour/contrast adjustments and alterations (adding new Himalayan glacier overlay and, hopefully, eastern mountain textures) but aside from that, this is how version C will look (and I dub thee 'version Caesar'). Hopefully it's to most people's satisfaction with its increase in overall brightness and increased clarity between terrain, while still maintaining the darker tone and all that jazz.

Looks great. My only question is why Turkey looks like a desert now?

Looks great. My only question is why Turkey looks like a desert now?
That's one of the colour/contrast adjustments I was talking about. Has to do with the last change I made, which was great but unfortunately made deserts 'bleed' into the hill terrain in turkey and other places. It's a quick fix anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Greatly looking forward to this new release. As to places like Anatolia, yeah, I can see the bleedover you mentioned but even with that being the case it's a great improvement on what was already a fantastic map. :)

Reactions:
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Greatly looking forward to this new release. As to places like Anatolia, yeah, I can see the bleedover you mentioned but even with that being the case it's a great improvement on what was already a fantastic map. :)

It's good to hear. :) Unfortunately real life has interfered and I won't be able to make the fixes until next weekend, so my previous prediction of releasing it today is off.

Reactions:
Glad you took out the caravan route thing in Africa and the Middle East. Consistent with the direction SWMH is taking. :) I think removing the caravan routes was sort of in the team's to-do list, but it never actually reached the table.

The new version that was teased looks... colder, compared to the current version.

Is it your own personal taste for the increase of contrast and blue hue? I rather liked the warm feeling to the current version. Are there any major fixes that will improve anything drastically or can I continue using the older version?

The new version that was teased looks... colder, compared to the current version.

Is it your own personal taste for the increase of contrast and blue hue? I rather liked the warm feeling to the current version. Are there any major fixes that will improve anything drastically or can I continue using the older version?
Colder? Any area specifically or just in general? I haven't touched the blue hue, but I did lessened the red hue in the desert. Maybe it's the water being brightened?

Colder? Any area specifically or just in general? I haven't touched the blue hue, but I did lessened the red hue in the desert. Maybe it's the water being brightened?
The lessening of the red hue seems to have effected other areas, too. Your modifications to the textures have also made things less lush, I find.

An examples follows. The ocean is less pink/red, and lighter spots near the river and coastlines make things less lush, as I said above.

Fpd46rs.gifv

EDIT: Basically, the red hue made the game in general more warm. Dunno why the change you described effected the rest of the game.

Attachments

• old-new.gif
    old-new.gif
    43,7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Reactions:
The lessening of the red hue seems to have effected other areas, too. Your modifications to the textures have also made things less lush, I find.

And examples follows. The ocean is less pink/red, and lighter spots near the river and coastlines make things less lush, as I said above.

EDIT: Basically, the red hue made the game in general more warm.

I appreciate the gif :)

The lighter spots near the river and coastlines is the new farmland expansion, made after requests for more visible 'life'. This does by itself make things less lush in (historically) populated areas for obvious reasons, although I wish I could make this deforestation change over time but sadly this is impossible. The red hue change specifically only affected deserts, of this I am 100% certain. I'm thinking that it's the new ocean colour (political ocean colours remain as they were in 1b though) combined with the slight increase in brightness and farmland expansion. Colour is a very tricky to get right for everyone but i'll certainly look into it.

Dunno why the change you described effected the rest of the game.

If not edited correctly, fx files are veeeeery intertwined, but not remotely intertwined where they should be. Want to raise the water level? Longboats will become submarines. Want to change ice ranges to cover the volga? Spain is now an icecap. Want to change colour of the trees? Africa is now the north pole (this one is not entirely true but you get the point).

Last edited:
I appreciate the gif :)

The lighter spots near the river and coastlines is the new farmland expansion, made after requests for more visible 'life'. This does by itself make things less lush in (historically) populated areas for obvious reasons, although I wish I could make this deforestation change over time but sadly this is impossible. The red hue change specifically only affected deserts, of this I am 100% certain. I'm thinking that it's the new ocean colour (political ocean colours remain as they were in 1b though) combined with the slight increase in brightness and farmland expansion. Colour is a very tricky to get right for everyone but i'll certainly look into it.
If you can, could you post some images of the new farmland you mentioned? More up close so I can see how they look usually when playing the game.

Otherwise the only thing I object to personally is the increase of brightness. I'll have to look into figuring out how to lower it for a personal edition of the new update! Keep up the good work.

If you can, could you post some images of the new farmland you mentioned? More up close so I can see how they look usually when playing the game.

Otherwise the only thing I object to personally is the increase of brightness. I'll have to look into figuring out how to lower it for a personal edition of the new update! Keep up the good work.

Cannot, not at home.

I'll just include some files with alternate files with 'old' values, in case it becomes a problem for you.

I don't know if there are many other users here that would appreciate the same, if there are please comment also, but would it be at all possible to create a SMMH compatible flat map? I am not a particular fan of the bumpy map, it's made me cringe since the first dev diaries for CK2. There are flatmaps out there that work for Vanilla so it is theoretically possible, but I am not aware of any that is HIP compatible. Please tell me if you are aware of such. Thanks.

Reactions:
I don't know if there are many other users here that would appreciate the same, if there are please comment also, but would it be at all possible to create a SMMH compatible flat map? I am not a particular fan of the bumpy map, it's made me cringe since the first dev diaries for CK2. There are flatmaps out there that work for Vanilla so it is theoretically possible, but I am not aware of any that is HIP compatible. Please tell me if you are aware of such. Thanks.

Plus one...;)

Glad you took out the caravan route thing in Africa and the Middle East. Consistent with the direction SWMH is taking. :) I think removing the caravan routes was sort of in the team's to-do list, but it never actually reached the table.
Not sure what your point is. Caravan roads on terrain map is something totally disconnected to the province setup, it was there even before some provinces where added.

Not sure what your point is. Caravan roads on terrain map is something totally disconnected to the province setup, it was there even before some provinces where added.
Right, my comment had nothing to do with province removal. I should have specified what I was talking about. I was referring to "oasis" provinces, which, along with the caravan route, was something that the SWMH team considered cool at first but now looked like artificial features. So there was a talk to do away with both oasis provinces and caravan routes. If I recall correctly, that is.

Right, my comment had nothing to do with province removal. I should have specified what I was talking about. I was referring to "oasis" provinces, which, along with the caravan route, was something that the SWMH team considered cool at first but now looked like artificial features. So there was a talk to do away with both oasis provinces and caravan routes. If I recall correctly, that is.
ok. Routes looks nice however :p

Reactions: