• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How wonderful to see that so many "honourable" men are declaring themselves fur the Usurper after assurances of posts and compensation; apparently conviction - unless matched with unhinged madness in the case of Sr. Espartero - is not relevant when dealing with these Isabellines. What a confused, broken, and corrupt lot they are.

~ Another firm Carlist, unsurprised at Isabelline corruption, nor by the repression of the Church by the same people, but stunned rather by the abject lunacy of her most strident supporters.

((Hey, my hand was forced when my still-biographyless character somehow ended up in government. :p)

POBO DE GALIZA! It is a sad state of affairs in the Empire, when a so-called legitimate government readies herself to make war against her own people! What of our families? What of our fields? What of our brave men going to war against this... monster, which intends to devour us all? Think on what of Galiza, my compatriots... there is guilt to be assigned! Guilt to the Madrid usurpers! Guilt to the tyrants who seek to kill their own brothers in their incessant search for power! Just the other day we have heard we were not Spaniards, what other thing is this than the preparation for our ENSLAVEMENT? FOR OUR DEFEAT? THEY SEEK TO SEE US BOW DOWN TO THEIR LIBERAL JACOBIN MASTERS, AND WE SAY NO! No to this false pretender! No to this vile Regency! We should act, Galicians, but we also should pray... the good Lord Jesus Christo once told us we must pray for the salvation of every soul, so we pray that the Usurper comes to see the error of her ways soon, before she turns one Spaniard on another, and let our cleansing fire fall upon those she surrounds herself with, the anti-Christian vile hordes, the liberal scum, for it is known that women are more susceptible to these influences of the devil.

- Don Artai Amaro Soutomaior y Andrade

EJÉRCITO DE ANDALUCÍA
Fuerzas del Sur

2lycAxI.png

Battle Flag of the Army of Andalusia
(1833-)

Commanding Officer

Comandante del Sur, Capitán General de Cataluña, Aragón y Valencia
- General Alejandro de la Casa, Vizconde de Barbate -

Engagements

- - -

Brief History
"Mustered largely out of Southern Spain, the Army of Andalusia was organized as one of the components of what its first commanding officer - the cazador-turned-general Alejandro de la Casa - called the Loyalist Army. Seeing the need for a battle flag to distinguish his forces from any others, the Viscount designed a flag while encamped. The design combined the traditional colors of the south of Spain with the Pillars of Hercules, not only a symbol of that region, but a symbol of the authority of the Crown..."

- Antonio Hernandez, The Carlist War, 1987

“Carlos' revolt is swelled with Basques, Galicians, and Catalans; but very few Spaniards among them. In order to vainly attempt to seize temporary power, he has made a devil's pact with separatists and anarchists that would tear the Spanish Kingdom asunder.

Spain has always been faithful to the one true church, and it is doubtless that God will not abandon Queen Isabella and her mother Maria Cristina, for to do so would to see Spain utterly destroyed and countless petty feudal states emerge where once a mighty empire stood.

-General Don Joaquín Baldomero Fernández-Espartero y Alvarez de Toro”

Remember these words, my brothers and sisters in Christ, my fellow Spaniards! To the Queen in Madrid and her crooked cabal, you Basques, Galicians, Catalans, Aragonese, Andalusians, and the rest are not “Spanish,” and indeed according them “cut-throats, anarchists, and separatists.” We are to Isabel and her ilk "devils!" The Queen has said nothing of this, the government that professes to govern Spain says nothing, and this man is permitted to walk freely, and spout this vileness!

And again, he speaks of faith to the Church, whilst his compatriots rape nuns, murder priests, and burn churches! How can God be on their side? The Bishop of Leon rots in their prisons, and the Primate of Spain has declared himself for Carlos! And yet we are the Devils, and Our King a traitor to Altar and Crown. Surely there madness is plain to anyone with eyes to see.

GOD IS WITH US! SPAIN IS WITH US!

FIGHT FOR OUR KING! FIGHT FOR OUR GOD! DEFEAT THE REVOLUTIONARY! DEFEAT THE USURPER!

~ Yet another firm Carlist, from Catalonia; indeed, the motivation of the Carlists in comparison to the sluggish, corrupt Isabellines was shocking.

Jorge_Tadeo_Lozano.jpg

On the Etxeto Estates.
The letter arrived in the condition one expected during a time of upheaval. The blood of the first courier left some staining, which alongside the beer stains and mud gave as accurate a depiction as one could hope to have. However the royal seal of Isabella remained unbroken, meaning that the letter was not captured by one of the Basque militias which preyed in the valleys of Navarra and Vizcaya. The letter was rushed to Lord Etxeto with little ceremony, who the retreated to his study with his stalwart advisor and brother Tomas. Breaking it open, Lord Etxeto read it's contents with the speed of a Moorish horse. Halfway through, he grunted, a noise which rarely left the spartan man's mouth and indicated far more than any non-Etxeto could ever expect.

"O Lord Brother, what does the letter contain? Portents of ill tides? Foul magics underfoot?"

Lord Etxeto grunted again, shocking his brother.

"Dearest brother of mine, I hast been appointed as Secretary of State and the Treasury. Anon, in the eyes of those that follow the Queen of Madrid, I am made captain of the royal treasury and chief ear-whisperer of foreigners near and far. By the love of Mother Maria, how did I get appointed?"

Tomas' eyes grew wide. The Etxeto, hermits of the Pyrenees, had long since been overlooked positions in the Royal Court, and now his brother gained two. It seemed that life had become an opera of low origin, as brother fought sister for control of the royal throne. Truly this was a time of immense change. Tomas was brought back from his thoughts when he realised that his brother was still speaking.

"... perhaps a greater question is, if I accept, how wouldst I administer my duties? Madrid is far hence and througheth many a battlefield whilst operating from my lands is utterly out of the question. I cannot leave and risk my lands, and I cannot stay and administer my duties. It runs around and around in mine mind like a bull. Tomas, mine brother, I think I wilt reject. "

Senor Tomas spoke quickly.

"By Christos brother, think of what thou sayeth..!"

Lord Etxeto cut off Tomas.

"Brother, mine mind is made. Twas not a question, for my duty is mine lands. This Estate is where I was born and the Etxeto were too, and I shall not abandon it in quest of service, no matter how gentle. Nay, the path is clear."

----
Dios sea Contigo, Reina Madre de España

The offices in which thou gift me art a sweet unlike any other. My only wish is to service the throne. However my lands art deep in the lands of the Basque, and malicious militias dwelleth throughout the mountains. I cannot travel to the capitol safely, nor can I abandon my land to those that seek to undermine what the Etxetos hast worked for generations.

I wilt, with nay doubt, reject the positions placed upon me. As such, I humbly begeth forgiveness, and hope that in the future my work can undo what hast here past been done.

Sincerely and Humbly,
Dom Etxeto

To the Queen Regent Maria Borbón,

Your majesty, although I may be young, and otherwise not as experienced as those whom you have elected to sit upon your cabinet, I would be most elated if were to allow me to sit amongst these great men. I will of course ask, should you want me to take a role, if I can take upon myself the duties that are otherwise imposed upon another. I hope that you can consider my offer, and may you bring great stability to our realm,
Yours faithfully and in servitude,

His Serene Highness Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte

The young soldier opened the door to house to find his wife in the kitchen with a bowl of stew in her hands. "Welcome back, Carlos. Please tell me that you are not going to leave for this god-forsaken war. I've recently been handed two pamphlets full of propaganda from both sides. I pray that you do not fight, mi amor. I would hate for a messenger to knock on the door and speak to me of your fate," Bella said to him in tears. Carlos was taken aback, he had not expected her to show her emotions so bluntly to him. He held her in his arms, trying to console her with little to no effect.

When she finally did stop crying however, he knew that she would be stricken with grief when she heard his words. "I'm sorry my dear, but I must go. I must fight for my country. I shall be fine in this war, I promise I won't die," he said, but at this point she was in tears again. Then he finally heard her cough out a word. Though very faint, he could hear her say, "I'm pregnant." These two words brought the hammer down onto him. He was quite happy that he was finally gonna have a child, someone to carry on his dynasty. But at the same time, the child might have to go without a father if he doesn't survive the war. Then he whispered into his wife's ear, quietly but with strength, "I shall survive, for our child's sake."

The young soldier opened the door to house to find his wife in the kitchen with a bowl of stew in her hands. "Welcome back, Carlos. Please tell me that you are not going to leave for this god-forsaken war. I've recently been handed two pamphlets full of propaganda from both sides. I pray that you do not fight, mi amor. I would hate for a messenger to knock on the door and speak to me of your fate," Bella said to him in tears. Carlos was taken aback, he had not expected her to show her emotions so bluntly to him. He held her in his arms, trying to console her with little to no effect.

When she finally did stop crying however, he knew that she would be stricken with grief when she heard his words. "I'm sorry my dear, but I must go. I must fight for my country. I shall be fine in this war, I promise I won't die," he said, but at this point she was in tears again. Then he finally heard her cough out a word. Though very faint, he could hear her say, "I'm pregnant." These two words brought the hammer down onto him. He was quite happy that he was finally gonna have a child, someone to carry on his dynasty. But at the same time, the child might have to go without a father if he doesn't survive the war. Then he whispered into his wife's ear, quietly but with strength, "I shall survive, for our child's sake."

((Oh no man, you've already tripped the death flag! You're doooomed! :eek:))

Letter from Carlos Martinez de la Huerta y Damas to Alejandro Mariano de la Huerta y Vas
Padre,
as you may have already heard, war is in the air. Despite what I was said in the past, I'll join the Isabelist army and fight for our Queen. I know maybe this is not the right thing to do, maybe I should go to Cuba or Philippines and save my soul but no, I don't want to run away.
The Pope said that God has chose Isabella so he is the only giver of His law and I cannot deny this.
Yesterday night I had a dream: I was walking in a land cover by a mist and there were gunshots and scream. But then a light come from the darkness. I think I made the right choice.
If I'll day, say to mom and Carla that I love them.

Que Dios los proteja,

Carlos

((Private))

"You are now Secretary of the Office of War," said the envoy from the Queen.
"WHAT?!" screamed Carlos Maria. "I never signed up for that (not that I don't want it, but still)!"
"Nobody expects the Spanish monarchy's decisions!" proclaimed the envoy.

Reactions:
A Letter to the Clergy of the Kingdom of Spain

What is the greatest threat to Mother Church? It would be easy to say revolutionaries, Jacobins, and the rest of their ilk. I, however, propose that there is a greater danger facing us and our faith: Tyranny. Whether it was the Tyranny of the Roman Augustus sending holy men to martyrdom, or the tyranny of the Moors who raped and pillage these Christian lands for nearly a millennium, Tyranny has always threatened our holy church. 30 years ago we saw a new form of Tyranny, the Tyranny of the mob.

However, we would be deluding ourselves to imagine that this tyranny comes from only foreigners and godless men. The Society of Jesus, the order who which I belong, was suppressed and expelled by a supposedly “Christian” king. What gave this “Catholic” monarch the tyrannical power to inflict such a grieve wound to Mother church? Simple, Absolutism. Power invested in one man can be just as easily used to help aid the faith as it is to destroy it.

That is why I urge you priests, deacons, nuns, bishops, and archbishops to resist Don Carlos and his bid for the Kingdom of Spain. The power he desires can easily be used to crush our holy faith. It is only with the constitution that we can guarantee the freedom of not the Church but of all the sons and daughters of Spain.

Viva Christos! Viva Patria! Viva Isabella!

Fr Arturo Benedict O'Neil

Reactions:

ON THE TRAITORS OF THE FAITH AND FALSE MEN OF THE CLOTH

Throughout the regions of Spain occupied by the forces of Isabel, tyranny and anticlericalism runs rampant; every day a different church is attacked, or a priest assaulted or arrested, without cause or reason. This has become a truth for all men of the cloth, all those who have dedicated their lives to God and that most holy of callings.

Yet there are those amongst them, fearful or treacherous, who deign not to follow the words of Almighty Christ, and who dare to fraternise with Jacobins, Republicans, and Atheists, in the hopes of preserving their own lives and freedoms; these cowards, these False Prophets who would preach doom upon Carlos, and lead Spain into darkness and revolution, have become alarming common – out of fear, or treachery, or corruption, it cannot be made certain. But without a shred of doubt, these men are the vanguard of revolution, intentionally or no; they cavort with the radicals, and call them friend; they flirt with the ideals of Jacobinism and Republicanism, yet profess to be loyalists; they espouse the notions of the Revolution, yet call themselves Catholic. These men are neither loyal nor Catholic; they are a plague upon the fatherland, allies of priest-killers and church burners, traitors to their Faith and their Fatherland!

They craft arguments, devoid of reason, of faith, of conviction, of even the slightest shred of sensibility, and proffer it up to their congregations, with to wrap them into their spell of liberalism – they suffer not the loyalist nor the Catholic to defend their Country and King. They speak of fear of absolutism, yet connive with revolutionaries without pause, and with deep satisfaction.

These are men not worthy of the faith, traitors to the Crown, to Spain, and above all else, traitors to God. He shall look upon their crimes with a fiery vengeance, and an eternal wrath that shall consume them for the lies and deceits they foisted upon their congregations, upon their fatherland. They shall linger with Cassius and Judas as the greatest traitors, and forever suffer in the torments of Hell for the Abaddon on earth that they would so willingly and joyously create.

Reactions:
Look at how desperate the Carlists are! They fight to usurp the rightful throne, and yet they call us usurpers. They are rebels in revolt against law and order in Spain but they call themselves loyalists. They go against the will of God and the Holy Father, and yet they dare call themselves Catholic. Never has propaganda and ideology been used as more vile weapons than since the French Revolution. There can be no denying now that Mad Carlos is a Bonapartist, a would-be tyrant, using honeyed words to drive men insane and turn them against the natural order of things, against the law of the land and the peace of their homes and families. Is it any question that God will punish the wicked idolators that dare call themselves "Carlists"?
-Don Joaquín Baldomero Fernández-Espartero y Alvarez de Toro

In a National Guard barracks patriots begin raising a homemade banner to declare their loyalty to the one true monarchy of Spain.

rii1lhm.png

Reactions:
Truly it is impressive that the Carlists are going against God, when the Primate of Spain and an overwhelming number of clerics (indeed, if you exclude the ones so inclined towards Jacobinism – quixotically I might add – they make up almost the entirety of all clerics) are adamantly Carlists; however, facts and truths do not seem to be the speciality of the Isabellists.

The Marquis of Viver sends many letters to old comrades in arms from the war of independence, fellow officers and guerrillas alike. None of them were the epitome of eloquence, but they were all to personal acquaintances who well knew the Marquis’ taciturn nature.

One such letter:

Were these happier times I would begin by asking after the health and well being of you and yours, however none can prosper when the circumstances we and the realm now find ourselves in are far from benign.

As the Queen Regent surrounds herself with Jacobins and Freemasons, my mind returns to the grave wounds those of their ilk inflicted upon this land but a decade ago. Already they renew their assault on the holy mother church, how long before they again attempt the division and sale of common property? Such policies reduce good Spaniards to economic and spiritual poverty.

Against such terrors one man stands firm and strong in his moral diligence. King Carlos V is capable of purging the sin and laxity from the realm. Not only is he capable, it is his sacred duty, his divine right to do so; by laws long established and by traditions that, for us, long predate a united Spain.

I feel compelled to right the injustice done to his person by the radicals who have sought to deny him his god-given right. In so doing I hope also to right the ills that invade this land. I pray God that he smiles upon these efforts and upon all of Spain.

Truely,
Alejo M. Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava
Marquis of Viver

A common enough reply to the letters of the Marques de Viver.

Indeed; I feel that each day the reports of attacks and violence grow ever more severe, more common, and worst of all, ever closer.

That the Queen Regent has chosen so brazenly to align with such men, rabid dogs the lot of them, I cannot help but think of the same; a bishop I had been intimate with was amongst those slain in those fearful days, and indeed the mood of the nation, particular in Madrid (or so I've heard) is very much reminiscent. I trust the King shall soon arrive, and with a force of brave, honourable men, shall free Spain from this Jacobin tyranny.

May God Go With You,

[A slightly smudged, but distinctly Catalan Name]

Miguel sat in his chair, dumbfounded. He was chosen as the Secretary for Economic Affairs, a position he knew little about, although he was going to serve his Queen to the best of his capability. Spain wills it. He had a letter to write.

((Private - JudgeMaxime))
To Don Joaquín Baldomero Fernández-Espartero y Alvarez de Toro,

Sir, I must first thank you for your devotion to the Queen and her Regent. In this trying time, good, honorable men like you are tough to find, in this land of traitors and heretics who would rather see Spain descend into chaos and death, than preserve law, and God's authority over Spain. However, good sir, despite your honorable intentions have alienated a large base of Her Majesty's supporters, specifically, the Basque and Catalan peoples of Spain. Although a large portion of these peoples support the pretender, Don Carlos, they are still citizens of Spain, and we must show no discrimination to any man, no matter how misguided they are, as we are all servants of Her Majesty, and we must treat them with respect and dignity. As such, I ask of you to refrain from mentioning these peoples in your public statements and pamphlets, as to avoid turning any more of these misguided men and women from the path of Her Majesty, and the path of God. Additionally, while you are one of the foremost soldiers of Spain, it would be wise of you to additionally refrain from ordering the men of Spain to war, unless your Captain-General promotes you. I suggest you write to Don de Alvear y Ponce de Leon, Secretary of the Office for War concerning your command for God, and Her Majesty. I admire your dedication to Spain, and we are truly blessed to have you on our side.

Sincerely, and with the most respect,
1231219146362601230216.png

Miguel de Costa, Secretario de Estado de Asuntos Exteriores