• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Hey, I'm a bit late, would it be possible to create a de Leon character although the family is already taken? I'm just going to post a preliminary character and will edit appropriately later.))

800px-CarlosAlvearcolor.jpg

Name: Carlos Maria de Alvear y Ponce de Leon
Date of birth: 25 October 1789
Background: Aristocrat
Religion: Catholic
Personality: Intelligent/Intuitive
Bio: Carlos was the son of a Spanish nobleman and a creole mother. He was born in the city of Santo Angel in the north of the Viceroyalty of La Plata. When he was fifteen, his mother and brothers were killed when their ship came under attack from English warships in a prelude to the Battle of Trafalgar, with he and his father captured by the English and imprisoned for some time. It was in this time that he learned English in addition to Spanish, Latin, French, Italian, Portuguese and some Tupí and Guaraní, which his father taught him. When Argentina declared its independence soon after the English released him from imprisonment, he sided with Spain when the rebels killed his father. After leading loyalist troops against the independence rebels for a couple years, his superiors realized they could not win against the Argentinians and surrendered, something which angered Carlos. He moved to Spain and accepted up his father's noble titles as well as command of some armies, hoping to get revenge against the Argentinians for his family's death.
Carlos is a devout Catholic, attending church as often as he can when not leading troops, writing mathematical and astronomical treatises, drawing maps, and writing his memoirs. He is an aspiring politician who seeks to serve Spain in the best way that he can and is fiercely loyal to his superiors and the Throne, but for now prefers to remain neutral on the matter of the succession.

Last edited:
Dieter sat around the fire with his uncle and all the good Basque man of the "Villa", old veterans of the wars in America. All of them were forgotten by the weak King, who send them to die against those traitors in the Americas, who fought in the Andes, in los Llanos and who almost died in the battle of Carabobo; outnumbered and undersuplied. How he could said that he was king by the grace of god if it was clear that god has abandoned him a long time ago. So that day, where news of the King demise came to "Villa de Veteranos", no one shouted "Long live the king" given that they all knew what kind of king he was.

Dieter: Men of the villa, all of you are my anai (Brothers),all of you have suffered the bad desicions of the dead king, you saw the lost of the empire and we al know how the king allowed the French to come and usurp our land with the Treaty of Fontaineblau. I ask you, do you want to suffer this again? It is not the time to stop the cursed heirs of Fernando? I believe we need to organize, to create a militia and rise when the winds of change that blow over Spain get stronger. But beware, the corrupt regent have spies everywhere, we need to hide this militia to the treacherous eyes and earth of the Cortes; so we will organize them as a municipal police and we will call it Ertzaintza (People's guard),

The men saw the young dieter shouting a strange plan, they thought he was going crazy but his words were sincere and he understood what they have suffered, at the end even if young, he was one of them.

Dieter talked with eveyone, war was 10 years ago but the veterans still remember the ways of the war. He will try to provide them of Army equipement if possible. However, he needed to keep this in secret given that he still wore the royal army uniform. His men, uncles and fathers, brothers all of them, will be ready in case Carlos pushed his claim for the throne.

Last edited:
(Private)

On the other side, we have the likely traitors. Prince Carlos could potentially field a navy under the Count of Monteczuma (Attalus); while the Conde de Leon (MastahCheef117) and Marquis Alejo de Santa Ava (keinwyn) might lead rebel forces in the field. And there is a whole host of Basque chiefs, rebel priests, and other Carlist scum just waiting for the opportunity to lead militia; not to mention potentially unknown young officers poisoned by Carlist ideas and ready to make a name for themselves in a vainglorious and futile revo​

((I don't believe this characters ever publicly declared themselves Carlists, so claiming you posses IC knowledge about their allegiance seems to be a bit... gamey))

Reactions:
Jorge_Tadeo_Lozano.jpg

On the Etxeto Estates.
The bells wrung thrice signalling that it was time to sup. Lord Etxeto, heading a small armada of children, women, and half-grown men, entered the mansion first and came to his place at the head of the table. As the dozen and more Etxetos of various sizes and shapes reached their assigned seating, they stood beside their chairs ... waiting. To which, the last little Etxeto, young Herman Lyon Tomas Etxeto, waddled over to his chair. Ever the young age of three, he too was forced to stand by his chair (nanny at hand) like everyone else. Eyeing the room, Lord Etxeto nodded and sat down, signalling to the brood which was his family that it was okay for them to sit down too.

As all gained their seats, a servant passed forward a pair of messages on a silver platter. Deftly wielding a small knife, Lord Etxeto quickly opened them and gave them a quick read. As he read he first and then the second, he gave his close advisor (and brother) them to look over. Senor Tomas Sancho Ximon Hortun y Llorente Etxeto quietly raised his eyebrow and turned to his brother.

"O Lord Brother, do not thee see with thine eyes the letter before me as I see with mine? The King is dead, the King is dead!"

Lord Etxeto waved his hand.

"O yes, my kin, o yes. But does thee not see the letter before me? The King may be dead, and that is saddening, but the Society of Gentlemen have sent me an offer! Forsooth, they have seen our rightful place in a lodge of peers!"

Senor Tomas blink.

"But, o dearest and respected kin, dost not thee see before you an article of greater consequence? Does thee not recognise the importance of such events?"

Lord Etxeto waved again.

"Yes, yes, dearest brother, yes, yes. Do not trouble me with words of vinegar and clotted milk. Do not look upon this day with undying woe, but like upon it as a great day!"

Standing, Etxeto rung a glass that brought the whole table to a standstill. Regardless of the glare from Senor Tomas, the Lord did about his business.

"Kin of mine, we have much to give thanks. I have received a letter of great importance from the capital. As such, the end of this sup shall be topped with honeyed apples from my orchard. Be merry my kin, be merry, for today is a happy day."

The family clapped with enthusiasm as the Lord sat down, less so due to his words, and more due to the treasured and rare treat they were about to receive.

Reactions:
280px-Dumont_d'Urville.jpg

Five Years Ago
"FIRE"

The order rang out across the beach, so recently undisturbed by European footprints. Shots rang out, and the ghosts in the trees fell down dead like the men they were. Juan had seen this trick before, and wouldn't be fooled again. The natives had tried to circumvent his superiority in firearms before, but they had run out of new tricks. Hiding in the trees simply wouldn't do it any more.

"Set up a perimeter 20 yards around the stream; make sure no one is near it. I won't have our drinking water contaminated with the blood of savages.... or of the natives."

He chuckled, them put on a stern face,

"They'll probably be gone for a while, but I want every man on alert until we're underway again."

Juan turned away from his subordinate to the small craft that had brought them out from the Santa Maria.

"Send word to Gonzales that he can bring the casks down."

He smiled.

"And remember to tell him that, no, bringing full water casks down to the beach is not a good use of his, or my time."

Gonzales wasn't a very... bright 2nd mate.

As the casks were being filled up, Juan rested on a large boulder, larger than the skiff used to carry the water. By now, the smile had been wiped from his face.

"Back in the old days," he thought, "It was so much easier. The natives were naive and trusting, Spain was rich, and exploration entailed true adventure, not the glorified map-correcting expedition this is. I doubt all our efforts will amount to more than a small change in how a few bays are portrayed at the Naval Academy."

He sighed.

Ideally, he could explore into Africa itself. But the government didn't have the funds, nor did men have the courage to try... and for good reason. Disease killed most everyone who didn't stick to the coast. Inland was off limits.

But perhaps one day....

Reactions:
Fernando de Gálvéz y Azanza

Rafael_Riego.jpg

Born: 20. 2. 1788, St. Augustine, Spanish Florida

Born in the colonies as a second son in a family of a wealthy landed nobility, Fernando spent his youth in the family estates on the coast of Atlantic. His father, one of the most influential people and perhaps the richest person in Florida at the time, served as the colonial governor in 1813-1814. His older brother, Ramón, who had a stellar career in the colonial military, soon raising to the rank of Colonel, was the one who would later inherit the estate, and young Fernando was sent to study in Spain at the University of Salamanca in 1815, to study law and prepare for state service in the colonies, which would certainly be open for him thanks to his father's connections.

Yet, Fernando has never returned home. When he finished his studies in 1822, Florida was not a Spanish land anymore, as it was annexed by the USA year before. Furthermore, his brother Ramón was killed in a border skirmish with the US forces during the Seminole wars. After the loss of Florida, the family moved to Cuba, where Fernando's father passed away in 1831, still as a very wealthy man, but broken and bitter over the loss of the largest part of the family lands, which the family has held since the end of 17th century.

Fernando stayed in Spain and spent some time as a professor on the university, specialized in Roman Law, while he was becoming more and more involved in politics, supporting the reintroduction of constitutionalism in 1820, though proposing a new, moderate constitution rather than the "revolutionary" 1812 constitution. He left the university in 1832, when he became a deputy of the Cortes Generales for Léon-Castilla.

As a deputy, Fernando opposed both absolutist tendencies and radical opinions. He wishes to spare Spain of wars in the mainland, but would probably support colonial expansion. He has been to Cuba a few times too, to take care of the family plantations and property, but as of now, his main occupation lies in the Cortes Generales.

((TL,DR: Colonial landowner, noble, educated, pretty rich, moderate.))

Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz heard the news of Ferdinands VII death with grief and he cursed the wife of the now former king for getting him to set aside the salic law. He feared that the new monarch, a small girl, would be a weak monarch and that her mother, the regent, would oversee and sanction the destruction of the Kingdom of Spain as an absolutist kingdom. He knew that him serving under a woman would be a disgrace to god. He looked up to the sky asking himself: "Why would god ever decide to let his holy light shine down upon the weak sex and her unworthy advisors?" Tomás thought, "No. It must be the work of the devil, and he has corrupted Ferdinand VII and María Cristina is his mouthpiece."

Zumalacárregui was in Ferrol, Galicia writing a letter to a very special man. That man name was Infante Carlos de Borbón. The one Tomás saw as the one true king of Spain.

((Private - Revan))

Your Royal Majesty, Carlos V

We all know that our former king, Ferdinand VII was in favor of the Salic law that should have made you king as is your royal right. However, the so-called regent María Cristina forced Ferdinand to put aside the salic law, so her daughter could be made queen so she gained all power over España. She stole your royal right to become Spain's absolute, but just ruler. The Basque people are tired of the liberal winds coming from Madrid that god did not sanction. España needs you Carlos. The Basque people support you and so does many others. Come to España and claim your right, for you are blessed by god himself. I will be honored to serve as a general under you and help you get the throne which is rightfully yours.

Yours truly
Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz

The First Shots

Following the death of Ferdinand VII, the situation in Spain was spiraling out of control. “Spain,” he had once said, “is a bottle of beer and I am the cork; when that comes out, all the liquid inside will escape, God knows in what direction.” Spain was about to be rocked by internal war, as two monarchs who claim sovereignty to the throne were about to enter bloody civil war.

“The King of Spain is dead, and what a number of events may not follow in the train of this event! Since the Revolution in France, nothing of an equal importance to this has occurred…” wrote an observer to this. The Infanta Isabel was proclaimed Isabel II, Queen of Spain, with Maria Cristina, her mother, as Regent. England and France recognized the young female monarch. The government in Madrid, the liberals, and the south and center of Spain, also swore fealty to the new Queen. At the same time however, Don Carlos was proclaimed Carlos V, King of Spain, and recognized by the absolute monarchies of Europe; Russia, and Austria, as well as the Papacy recognizing Carlos V as King. Even the King of Naples, Maria Cristina’s own brother, sent an envoy to Carlos acknowledging him as the new King. The North of Spain and traditionalists sided with Carlos in this struggle.

mtwbsu6.jpg
ZJJ50kL.jpg

(King Louis-Philippe of France, pictured on the left, supported Isabel. Chancellor Klemens von Metternich of Austria, pictured on the right, supported Carlos)

Portugal though would be split. Miguel I supported his brother, but this support would not last long. The Liberal Wars came to a conclusion before the fighting in Spain began. Miguel I was defeated and forced into exile, leaving Pedro’s daughter Maria as the new Queen of Portugal. Both Miguel and Carlos would flee Portugal to England. Along with France, England, and Liberal Spain, the Quadruple Alliance was formed supporting Isabel and liberalism. Russia and Austria were hesitant to fully ally themselves with Carlos, thinking that his cause was idealistic and not able to restore Spain’s absolutism in the face of growing liberal agitation. Regardless, Don Carlos called his followers to arms. Don Carlos moved to the Portuguese-Spanish border, where he was met by agents of Maria Cristina’s government, who said that if he stepped foot in Spain, he would be detained. Carlos moved back into Portugal. He needed a way to get back to his homeland.

lAXjlBk.jpg

(Queen Maria II of Portugal led Portugal to back Isabel)

At the same time, an uprising would spring up. A postmaster at Talavera would spark a revolt in the name of the “True King of Spain, Carlos V”. This revolt in Talavera would spread across the northern provinces. As the revolts grew, and the support of Don Carlos grew across Spain, the key players of the Kingdom of Spain needed to take a side. A call for the idea of a regency under Don Carlos to prevent a civil war was ignored by Maria Cristina and the liberals. There were those who supported Don Carlos as the one and true King of Spain, but at the same time there were those who believe Ferdinand’s chosen successor was the true ruler of Spain and should be kept as the rule of Spain.

YifbZM0.jpg

(A Basque Soldier)

The Liberals saw Isabel II as a way to gain further support. Already, Maria Cristina had proved to be favoring the liberals. While her husband laid dying, Maria Cristina had decreed reforms and liberal policies to the Kingdom. The press was declared free of government intervention, free trade was encouraged. Liberals in her government though made the mistake of converting many religious institutions into national property, angering the already traditional Catholic Church. The Liberals also detested the thought of the absolutist Carlos inheriting the throne. If the liberals viewed Ferdinand VII as the devil’s associate, than Carlos was the devil himself.

The Carlists though were not ones to back down from a fight. Crown and altar were all that mattered to them. Those who backed them were devoted, almost fanatic, to this cause. “My son’s life as a gift to the new King!” shouted one peasant woman. To them, God was on their side, and they believed they were fighting a crusade against the devilish liberal government in Madrid. The people would have sympathies to the Carlist cause. Historians agreed that most thinking Spaniards were Carlists in certain moods and at certain ages. “Were it to triumph tomorrow three-fourths of the nation would be ready to declare, not utterly untruthfully, that a long-cherished hope had been fulfilled.”

Now it is up for the key players to decide how this war will go. The stage is set for a great conflict to engulf Spain. Which among them will back Carlos, and which among them will back Isabel?

------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: Wait...

Last edited:
Civil War #1: The First Carlist War

Contenders:

I. The Madrid Government
Leader: Queen Isabel II of Spain, Regent Maria Cristina of Spain
Goal: To keep Isabel, daughter of Ferdinand VII and chosen successor of the Kingdom of Spain, on the throne of the Kingdom.

II. The Carlists
Leader: Carlos V, "King" of Spain
Goal: To remove the illegitimate Queen Isabel II and install the rightful monarch of Spain, Carlos V, as King.

------------------------------
Please chose which contender you wish to back in this Civil War. After this vote, I will allow each side to come together to strategize with the troops they receive and plan the war out before engaging it.

Sample Ballot:

Support: Carlists/Madrid Government/Abstain

Voting ends in two days at 9:00 PM EST on Monday, or 2:00 AM GMT on Tuesday

((Will there be any penalties for voting neutral?))

((Will there be any penalties for voting neutral?))

((I should clarify, no one (except maybe commanding officers), will die in this conflict regardless of the side they choose. It is too early to kill off characters. With that in mind, vote with the side you wish to see win.))

Support: Madrid Government

~ Lieutenant Manuel Gutierrez de la Concha

((I should clarify, no one (except maybe commanding officers), will die in this conflict regardless of the side they choose. It is too early to kill off characters. With that in mind, vote with the side you wish to see win.))
((Yeah, but I'm a commanding officer. Also, what are the benefits for choosing a side? Are there non-RP benefits or penalties? And my character is kind of neutral on the Carlist issue right now...))

Support: Carlists (obviously)

To His Majesty, Carlos V de España

It is with great grief that I have learned the loss of our King, may his Soul rests in peace. The Pragmatic Sanction puts the Kingdom in great danger, with his daughter being only 3 years old, she will not be able to rule Spain and she will be manipulated by her mother and her Liberal Friends. I hereby beg you to return to your Kingdom and claim back your usurped rights. You can count on the support of the house of Moctezuma de Tultango to fight for you should the Queen and her lackeys refuse to accept you as King. I myself am no man of the sword, having preferred the Armada Real to commanding men on battlefields but if it is your desire I can muster all loyal men in the Fleet for your cause. Whatever your desires, I pledge upon this day my loyalty to you, to preseve Spain from Jacobinism.

Most humbly and respectfully, and full of love:

Don Pedro Nolasco Marcilla de Teruel y Oca Moctezuma, Conde de Moctezuma de Tultengo y Grandeza de España

A VE, el Conde de Moctezuma de Tultengo y Grandeza de España

My Royal Brother’s death is most disheartening to hear, and I thank you for your kind words in that matter. I very much agree that this decision, made in the twilight of his reign, was most unwise, and indeed highly injurious and dangerous for the fatherland, and as such, I do believe I have no other choice but to return to Spain, if only to set the nation back on its proper course. And whilst I would prefer to see this matter resolved without blood and violence, if those who surround my niece are so disposed to cling to power and position, and deny the right of my succession, then I shall meet them with fury and the full force of my proud and loyal subjects, and with a righteous vengeance inspired by God Himself, I will free the fatherland from these corrupt, destructive, Jacobinical shackles.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

I have heard whispers of your desire to press your claim to the throne. If this is truthful I wish to inform you that I am in full support of your ambition. You might not have been able to see in your exile in Portugal, but the Cortez, poisoned the mind of the Late Ferdinand VII causing him to decreed the Pragmatic Sanction. It can be seen clearly from those who follow gods word that, this is an act against Spain and the Catholic church itself. It is with this that I wish to inform you of my support for any actions in which you may take, for your stances on the Cortez has been clear for a good while now, and I stand firm with it. The Cortez will only seek to destroy any and all things that make Spain, Spain. We are not Bonapartist France, us Spaniards understand how god wants a state to exist and how to respect the natural order of things.

If the time comes that the Cortez refuses to back down from its treachery, I will pledge myself and my Regiment in support of your efforts to claim your birth right. It is the only way to prevent the degrading and final decline of Spain. Let us not have the first Sunset on Spain, you are our only hope Carlos V.

Yours Truly,
Colonel Isandro Durante, 33rd Infantry Regiment, 9th Marquis de Santa Maria de Silvela

A VE, el Marques de Santa Maria de Silvela

In truth, I have no ambition to seize the throne; to make such a statement would be a stain to my honour, and an acceptance that my right to the throne, granted by custom and God Himself to my person, is no longer an assured and absolute truth. I mean to remove the usurper, who has been so misled by her mother and the masters of state and Jacobinism that this illegitimate sanction, a denial of God’s law and Bourbon tradition, shall stand. I have thus far heard that the “Regent” has already hastened the seizures of church land, and has continued to usurp power of the monarchy out of its rightful hands. That you will give your support to me in this holy and just cause is most reassuring. My return is imminent.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

We all know that our former king, Ferdinand VII was in favor of the Salic law that should have made you king as is your royal right. However, the so-called regent María Cristina forced Ferdinand to put aside the salic law, so her daughter could be made queen so she gained all power over España. She stole your royal right to become Spain's absolute, but just ruler. The Basque people are tired of the liberal winds coming from Madrid that god did not sanction. España needs you Carlos. The Basque people support you and so does many others. Come to España and claim your right, for you are blessed by god himself. I will be honored to serve as a general under you and help you get the throne which is rightfully yours.

Yours truly
Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz

Estimado Sr. Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz

Indeed, the violations and depredations of the Lady “Regent” upon my brother’s sensibilities, and her conniving alliance with Jacobins, has truly been to the detriment of the realm; I must pity the state of my poor niece, thrown into this matter by ambition men and women about her, and treated as little more than a pawn to their vanities. I would remove these plights upon the fatherland and restore good governance, and that you aim to accomplish the same is heart-warming. I shall soon return to Spain and undo these numerous, unforgivable, slights and injuries suffered by my subjects at the hands of the “Regent” and her allies.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

((Yeah, but I'm a commanding officer. Also, what are the benefits for choosing a side? Are there non-RP benefits or penalties? And my character is kind of neutral on the Carlist issue right now...))

((Yea but I mean commanding officers who are chosen to lead armies. And most benefits and penalties are RP in choosing a side. If you choose the wrong side you may end up excluded from the politics of the new government, benefit being you are highly praised in it. Thats about it to be honest))

Reactions:
A Su Majestad, Miguel I, Rey de Portugal

My brother, it appears that the war to maintain your lawful right as King of Portugal is going ever against your favour, as the British continue to expand their presence within your nation; that they have chosen to support the usurper and the Brazilian is most saddening, and I am certain your loyal subjects pray for your health and inevitable return.

However, as your situation grows increasingly untenable, I wish to impress upon you the opportunity to assist in stemming back this tide of revolutionism and Jacobinism across the whole of Iberia; I hear word that you still command the loyalty of 18,000 trained men. Assist me in claiming my birth-right, brother, and I will ever work to do the same for you.

These revolutionaries, vile in nature, atheistic, democratic, and without wit, honour, or respect, can and must be stopped; let us work together in this Holy endeavour.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

Esmeralda heard rumours that a civil war was brewing across Spain. As a woman who sold her body to men and was just starting to make headway into the inner circles of the nobility, domestic politics were not her concern. At least a war meant plenty of soldiers kept away from their wives and eager for female companionship. She was not concerned who won in the end, but at least she could make a tidy profit in the meantime.

Support: Abstain