Hearts of Iron IV - 45th Development Diary - 19th of February 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also with Grand battle plan getting twice the possible bonus will it make them almost unstoppable if you allow them time to get that planning bonus? Is the trick to picking the mobile doctrine constant attacks to keep the battleplan doctrine player off balance?
I would assume that doing anything that makes the overall plan non-viable would work. That may mean attacking it in flank, cutting it off in a giant pocket, or grinding down the units to the point where they can't advance. A long-term or deep defensive plan with a substantial bonus might provide an adequate counter to the offensive plan's bonus.

Reactions:
Is there any action that will cause you to lose all your planning bonus? Like say you set up a front-line against Poland and hold that long enough to get maximum bonus. Then you update the plan to include all of your attack vectors, taking Warsaw, etc. Do you lose the accumulated planning bonus or can you launch your attack immediately?

Thanks for the DD!

Does the AI develop battle plans? If so, can you see battle plans developed by AI allies? Will it be possible to coordinate your attack with that of an AI ally? For example, could a human-controlled UK coordinate D-Day with an AI-controlled USA?

Reactions:
I would assume that doing anything that makes the overall plan non-viable would work. That may mean attacking it in flank, cutting it off in a giant pocket, or grinding down the units to the point where they can't advance. A long-term or deep defensive plan with a substantial bonus might provide an adequate counter to the offensive plan's bonus.
The problem with that is if you pick the mobile doctrine your planning bonus can only be 1/2 of what the grand battleplanner bonus is no matter how long or deep the plan is.

I guess that's the design of it though the mobile doctrine player needs to start in on them early and never let up or give them the opportunity to get to the point where they can use their entire bonus.

I knew the content of this from WW Wednesdays etc. But still, great overall new system; and relieved you didn't get rid of provinces :D

Been asked before; and I guess I may as well ask again: is there scope for us to ever get this tool to give subordinate allies plans???? (All AI allies are subordinate ;) )

Reactions:
I really do like this hybrid system and I greatly appreciate that microing is still a thing. Some questions, can you see the battle plans of your allies? Can you include your allies in your battle plans? Can you use spies to see the battle plans of your enemies?

Also super excited for the UK diary next week :).

Reactions:
Is there any action that will cause you to lose all your planning bonus? Like say you set up a front-line against Poland and hold that long enough to get maximum bonus. Then you update the plan to include all of your attack vectors, taking Warsaw, etc. Do you lose the accumulated planning bonus or can you launch your attack immediately?

I think the way it works is you set the plan in stone, and planning bonus accumulates. If you then modify the plan at all, it's effectively a new plan and you start from scratch.

Reactions:
How aggressive are units assigned to a fall-back line in maintaining that line? If the enemy breaches the line, are they going to counter-attack? In general if I assign units to an attack vector will they attack each province as fast as possible or make some kind of judgement that they need to recover ORG before proceeding?

Any chance we might see similiar mechanics in other paradox games down the line? I'm mostly thinking vic and eu (I don't think it'd be quite right for CK, though some sort of automisation mechanic for wars in that would be nice too).

Reactions:
Hi Podcat, thank you for this nice DD !

Please, could you explain what happens with battle plan bonuses when modifying it ? Is it : the more I modify and/or the more often I do it, the more penalty I get at my bonuses ?

If I understand it rightly : a division gets its better bonuses available as long as it's handled via the long-term prepared battle plan.
As soon as I give a specific oder to it, will it lose them ? Completely ? Are some other units (not modified) also affected because of the last minute change in coordination ?

Other question please : What are all the triggers, parameters ? Can't I ask to a group to execute its battle plan orders only if weather is clement ? If terrain is not moody ? If air superiority isn't lost ? Etc, how all those important aspects are managed in this automatisation context ?

Reactions:
When you make a multilayered battle plan will the troops stop at each successive front to gain back planning bonus or will they just push through to the end front with no regard for planning bonus attrition?

It depends how you set it up, you can activate the whole plan or just the first step.

Also with Grand battle plan getting twice the possible bonus will it make them almost unstoppable if you allow them time to get that planning bonus? Is the trick to picking the mobile doctrine constant attacks to keep the battleplan doctrine player off balance?
well, they get twice the bonus of the one with mobile warfare, but of course if the mobile warfare guys attack first with their speed to planning they will have the advantage at that point. Its also only one of many factors in combat.

Is there a graphical way to tell how far you can go before your planning bonus runs out, or do you just have to learn from experience?

No, it would be pretty hard to estimate since you dont really know how long each combat and such will take. The bonus is individual for divisions in the plan and how long they have individually been there preparing, and not for the plan as a whole. The bonus ticks down per hour, and not by distance.

What bonus do you get? What does "you can only plan to half the level of a player using Grand Battleplan" mean?

It's some kind of combat bonus - I assume a bonus to soft and hard attack.

"You can only plan to half the level of a player using Grand Battleplan" means an army using Mobile Warfare doctrine can only gain half the bonus from planning that an army using Grand Battleplan can. However, the Mobile Warfare player can plan faster, so you might get four German offensives with 50% planning bonuses for every one British offensive with a 100% planning bonus.

"No idea", Gort answered you already above.

To clarify, do you mean if you've had the plans and units assigned to them in place for several weeks-month then you'll gain a larger bonus than if you just made them the day(s) before?

yes.

Also, what happens if you slightly alter the plan, add or remove a unit, change a units path but the overall plan remains the same, do you lose all the bonus or just a percentage?

the bonus is per unit, so if you add a unit it wont be prepared, but it wont affect the rest.

Are you able to pause a battleplan? i.e. The offensive is not going as well as expected and losses are heavier than expected so the units need to stop and reinforce. Rather than deleting the plan and creating a new one after being reinforced; can the units pause, reinforce after a time, and then continue with the plan that was already in place.

yes you can pause a plan and resume later.

If you decide to manually control a unit assigned to attack an offensive line, will they be reassigned to their original plan once they complete your order?

For example, if I have a plan to attack into Poland and order it to commence, then I select a couple panzer divisions assigned to the offensive line and deviate them to perform an encirclement, will they continue the offense once they encircle and crush those stubborn defenders?

yes they go back to the plan afterwards, so its easy to go in, send some panzers to swat a pocket or do an encirclement and not have to babysit them while they do it as they head back automatically.

Reactions:
Question about gradual decline in planning bonus after start of the operation - will it decline as a % of bonus (in which case bonus runs out after same time, no matter how big a bonus you started with) or as a fixed number (in which case higher intial bonus would take longer to deteriorate to 0)?

thx

Is there still the concept of plans potentially having multiple stages that you can trigger individually? I'm thinking about the need to keep groups at different parts of the front roughly coordinated. If one group completes their objectives faster than another it would be nice for them to wait at the "Stage 2" starting line until the flag goes up for that.

i just love the implementation of the planning bonus and that it ticks down after awhile. this means you have to time your major offensives just like what actually happened. i have to say this is the frist real time i am completely HYPED for Hoi4 (all my other hype was going to Stellaris but it can share it now with Hoi)

this looks great paradox!

Reactions: